Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Judas

Open to offers
I'll see where we are and how we've played come May. He's started brilliantly, but its very early days and there's plenty of time for things to go south. Positive beginning though, clearly.

yfoFC

Sorry hit the reply button by mistake. To continue : would have accomplished so much
You can actually edit your message you know, the magic button that makes all our typo errors disappear from the internet..

hocane

If this was Zidane coming in doing the same job pundits would be all over him being the best manager in the world.

But because it's not a big name coach it's just down to bringing the smiles back. No credit to Ole whatsoever

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Solskjær did great with the reserves, did great with Molde and now doing great with United. Yet, he is still not the favourite just because he failed with a doomed Cardiff.

Zidane didnt even do great with the RM reserves. Managing an attacking side with big stars is something completely different. Guardiola did it, Zidane did it, Solskjær can do it!

Reactions: Jippy

Rolledo

Did he just say, in the post match interview yesterday, «it’s class to be here»? Love that.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not that I want us to lose a match but that'll be most telling to see how he picks the squad up from that.

Bola

Imagine if we just keep going? We might just even end up in a title race very late?
Imagine Solskjaer being appointed by SAF then does the impossible, the unbelievable, he wins us the PL right in front of Liverpool.

We have to win all our games and Pool has to lose against us, Spurs, Chelsea and a couple of mid table teams. It wont happen
Imagine Ole winning the treble. How insane wouldn't that be?
I've been thinking both those things. It's nice to get carried away after the nightmare we have had over the last 12 months

Revan

Assumptionman
Brighton are decent and I thought it would be tough today. So it was. Was impressed with Ole’s composure to conceding and not panicking with subs.

Beat Burnley and he has the best ever start as a PL manager. Not bad for a man whose only achievement as a manager, let alone a man, was being an utter failure with Cardiff. /s
His biggest achievement as a manager was winning back to back titles with Molde in an one team league, with Molde having not won a title for a century or so.

ProphetSe7en

His biggest achievement as a manager was winning back to back titles with Molde in an one team league, with Molde having not won a title for a century or so.
It is a league with low quality. 2-3 good signings makes all the difference. He as unlimited money to throw around in Molde making it easy to sign the players he wants.

Most teams in Norway dont have the founds to sign expensive players like Molde and rbk does. Just take a look at the transfer history in the Norwegian league during the years Ole was appointed.

He`s doing a fantastic job in United but I dont rate what he`s done in Molde that high.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

It is a league with low quality. 2-3 good signings makes all the difference. He as unlimited money to throw around in Molde making it easy to sign the players he wants.

Most teams in Norway dont have the founds to sign expensive players like Molde and rbk does. Just take a look at the transfer history in the Norwegian league during the years Ole was appointed.

He`s doing a fantastic job in United but I dont rate what he`s done in Molde that high.
Just check the budget of his opponents, especially RBK. Molde are not even top3 when it comes to budget. Solskjær have with Molde made a profit on the transfer market every season and the average age on his team has always been way below league average. Compare his budget with his opposition in Europa League and you should also be impressed with his results there.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
(I know, I was being ridiculously sarcastic. Ole has achieved a lot as a manager.)

Handré1990

Just check the budget of his opponents, especially RBK. Molde are not even top3 when it comes to budget. Solskjær have with Molde made a profit on the transfer market every season and the average age on his team has always been way below league average. Compare his budget with his opposition in Europa League and you should also be impressed with his results there.
Don’t bother. I’ve pulled him up on it before. Still he keeps spouting something that is factually wrong.

vxlencia

#fakenews

I’ve checked the transfer history. Solskjaer joined Molde in the beginning of 2011 until 2014.

First stint:

10/11 - €1m in arrivals
11/12 - €1m in arrivals
12/13 - 975k in arrivals
13/14 - €2.6m in arrivals

Note the total departures during this period = €12m ~

2nd stint:

15/16 - 0 in arrivals
16/17 - 500k in arrivals
17/18 - 260k in arrivals
18/19 - €1m

The total departures during this period = €15.75m

So whilst Solskjaer was in charge Molde as a club have actually sold more than they’ve bought in.

So how you can say he had ‘unlimited’ money to throw around in Molde I’m not sure.

Also this is a league where the top 3 most expensive transfers were by RBK who bought Carew for €2.48m in 99/98. Martin Anderson for €1.8m in 05/06 by SK Brann and Vegard Forren for €1.8m in 13/14 by Molde.

And outside of Molde, there’s 6-7 teams that have spent us much as Molde have if not more since Solskjær took over in 2010.

So as you can see, it’s inaccurate to paint a picture that Solskjaer had a blank cheque book. Or even that prior to 2010 there was absolutely no spend by other clubs.

JMack1234

I like Ole but offering him the job now would be catastrophically stupid idea.

We've got a really good hand at the moment. We've got a manager who the fans like, who would jump at the chance of managing us permanently, an agreement in place with Molde and the perfect run of fixtures to test out whether or not he's got what it takes.

quackattack

I've been thinking both those things. It's nice to get carried away after the nightmare we have had over the last 12 months
Yeah, regardless, this second half of the season will in my opinion be a great success no matter how the rest turns out.

DBT85

For what its worth I looked at our league record since the turn of the millennium.

We've won 6 league games in a row 7 times since then, 3 of which since Fergie left, twice in 14/15 and once in 16/17.
We've won 7 league games in a row 4 times since then, two in 06/07, and one each in 08/09 and 12/13
We've won 8 league games in a row 4 times since then, 00/01, 01/02, 07/08 and 11/12
We've won 9 league games in a row 1 time since then, in 05/06
We've won 11 league games in a row 2 times since then, in 99/00 and 08/09.

So far Ole has racked up 6 in a row, with 3 "its only" teams lined up next.

If he makes it to 7 PL wins in a row it'll be the first time we've managed that many (even as part of a longer run) since 12/13. We've not won 7 in a row since Fergie retired 5.5 seasons ago. 3 managers, hundreds of millions spent and Ole is on the cusp of it after a month.

We now have to play Burnley, Leicester and Fulham.

Liverpool at OT would be 10 :devil:

Gator Nate

With a squad he simply walked into.

That's what gets me on this. Mourinho had 2 1/2 years to build this thing into some semblance of his team, and was essentially fired because he had no team. Ole walks in, looks at the pieces, arranges them just so, and reels off all these wins. That takes something special, I don't care who the opponents are.

And I don't care if "it's only" <insert team here>. It's tough to win in top flight week in, week out, no matter the sport. Teams lose focus every once in a while - the good ones win anyway.

Not making excuses, but if they lose to Liverpool and/or PSG, the reasons are already there for all to see (and have been discussed into the ground) and no one should blame Ole.

Reactions: KM

Peter Brewer

Solskjær did great with the reserves, did great with Molde and now doing great with United. Yet, he is still not the favourite just because he failed with a doomed Cardiff.

Zidane didnt even do great with the RM reserves. Managing an attacking side with big stars is something completely different. Guardiola did it, Zidane did it, Solskjær can do it!
I've noticed that some people are even more against Solskjaer now that at the beginning of his spell. " First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, they they fight you. Then you win". Famous words by Ghandi. Ole win eventually.

nameischarles

I got a feeling Solskjaer will be made permanent manager this has been a PR wet dream for Woodward, how things have turned around so positively and quickly.

Rish Sawhney

Yeah its more likely that he won't be made manager for PR reasons. Such as Woodward having a stiffy for a big name like Poch or Zidane.

Tiber

Guessing it wasn't a fitbit

Last edited:

Shez

Phelan and McKenna went to watch the U18's last night, know where Solskjaer was???:

This
Like even the employee gift on the first day. Mourinho kept calling himself a first team coach and that is literally all he was. Fergie was united through and through, talking to the groundskeeper to the receptionist - same for Ole. They bleed the club. It’s a big check mark for me

ash_86

This
Like even the employee gift on the first day. Mourinho kept calling himself a first team coach and that is literally all he was. Fergie was united through and through, talking to the groundskeeper to the receptionist - same for Ole. They bleed the club. It’s a big check mark for me
Absolutely. He just bleeds red. Hope he is a winner and we have got ourselves SAF 2.0

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Røkke took a lot/all of the costs outside of the transfers. Their stadium is also owned by Røkke who lets Molde be there practically for free.
Unless my memory is wrong.

That said, I think his results during his time in Molde weren't all that impressive (apart from the context of it being the first time for Molde). What was really impressive to me was how he made a Tippeliga club play/try to play actual football with young players, and won while being quite entertaining for Norwegian standards. Pair that with how we've gone from football under Mourinho to the current football and I'm not sure it's all down to just getting rid of the toxic one.

Ole is doing well, long may it continue.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
If this was Zidane coming in doing the same job pundits would be all over him being the best manager in the world.

But because it's not a big name coach it's just down to bringing the smiles back. No credit to Ole whatsoever
What rubbish. Zidane has won three Champions League on the bounce and people still question if he is tactically sound.

Listar

Why are people again talking about results? I thought we have moved past Mourinho. While 7 wins out of 7 is good, we should be focusing on the performance instead of the results.

Getting top 4 should not be the measuring stick with regards to keeping Solskjaer. If we get top 4 with playing how we did 2nd half against Spurs and last 25mins Brighton we should sack him regardless. If we do not get top 4 but playing football consistently as we did first half against spurs and first 60 mins against Brighton then give him the job regardless.

The last two match raised some questions as it feels like the momentum have slowed as seen in the second halves. Winning or not, we should not be sitting back like we did against bloody Brighton. Lets hope he proves he can keep our attacking football going and not fall into the trap of worrying about defence.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What rubbish. Zidane has won three Champions League on the bounce and people still question if he is tactically sound.
He is right though, if Ole had won the CL twice he would have had a bigger name and wouldn't have been questioned after getting us in such decent form. If Zidane was here now having us performing like Ole is we would be looking at ourselves as a shoo-in for the CL-trophy.

Joseunited

Why are people again talking about results? I thought we have moved past Mourinho. While 7 wins out of 7 is good, we should be focusing on the performance instead of the results.

Getting top 4 should not be the measuring stick with regards to keeping Solskjaer. If we get top 4 with playing how we did 2nd half against Spurs and last 25mins Brighton we should sack him regardless. If we do not get top 4 but playing football consistently as we did first half against spurs and first 60 mins against Brighton then give him the job regardless.

The last two match raised some questions as it feels like the momentum have slowed as seen in the second halves. Winning or not, we should not be sitting back like we did against bloody Brighton. Lets hope he proves he can keep our attacking football going and not fall into the trap of worrying about defence.
That's a bit bloody harsh isn't it, Christ he's only the caretaker manager at the moment and anyway we didn't fall apart in the last 2 games, Spurs came at us like you would expect and Brighton should have been 4-0 down before they got the goal back, you can't just attack for 90 minutes, eventually you'd get punished.

Galactico

Steady on, old chap! He would not be sacked, he just wouldn’t get a contract if we didn’t want him. Also, remember he did not bring these players in so he is working with what he’s got. Finally, if he gets in Top 4 given the strength of the other teams fighting for those places this year and the gap he had to start from, it would be an INCREDIBLE achievement. A lot more impressive than “overachieving and coming 2nd last season”. Please keep it real!

crossy1686

career ending
This
This is the sealer for me. There is nothing he won't do to be successful at this club, nothing. He already believes he's reached the pinnacle of his managerial career.

winteriscoming

Supports
City
Well, from the outside looking in, the change has been monumental.

When Jose was there, it was constant stories, speculation and conjecture about this player, that player, Woodward this, Glazers that, culminating in dour and unpalatable style of play and poor results.

There is now a calmness and kind of steely quietness about the place.

The style of play and results are now back to what your used to and top 4 looks well within your grasp.

High profile players looking for an out, are now wanting new contracts with even the dinner ladies now smiling.

It looks like Woodward has pulled off a masterstroke, and you can't see Solskjaer not earning a contract on the back of it.

A contract for Solskjaer will also allow time for Pochetino to play in that new ground, which he definitely wants to do, before the inevitable fall out with Levy over player funding

redmanc

That's a bit bloody harsh isn't it, Christ he's only the caretaker manager at the moment and anyway we didn't fall apart in the last 2 games, Spurs came at us like you would expect and Brighton should have been 4-0 down before they got the goal back, you can't just attack for 90 minutes, eventually you'd get punished.
Indeed. Such short memories of some fans, its as if we never had any dogshit performances in the second half when SAF was the manager, neither has it got anything to do with the fact the lads look knackered after xmas, neither are any other teams in the top 4 out of sorts at the minute following the busy xmas period :rolleyes: