Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

johanovic

I wonder what giggsy makes of this.

On a side note; was it Andy cole who never got along or had some disagreements with OGS ?
The feud was Cole vs Sheringham and with regards to Giggs then he´s probably busy spotting flocking birds on the side

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I'm sorry but as much as I love Ole, the guy couldn't hack it in English football as a manager. This is a terrible appointment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm sorry but as much as I love Ole, the guy couldn't hack it in English football as a manager. This is a terrible appointment.
Conte got sacked by Atlanta and 2 years later won the title with Juve. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

Sometimes a high level player/coach can't work with low level players, they expect too much.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I hope he at least learned from Cardiff.

In the championship season he brought in 9 players and changed his starting XI in every match before getting sacked.

Foxbatt

I agree with you. In fact Klopp also could not hack it as a manager with Mainz. He got them relegated and should never have been appointed as a manager anywhere.

The Mitcher

Conte got sacked by Atlanta and 2 years later won the title with Juve. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

Sometimes a high level player/coach can't work with low level players, they expect too much.
We said similar things about Moyes. But, I'll give Ole a chance. I still consider him a hero of course. Don't take my negativity as a personal against Ole.

The Mitcher

I agree with you. In fact Klopp also could not hack it as a manager with Mainz. He got them relegated and should never have been appointed as a manager anywhere.
Yeah he also couldn't hack it in the championship either, but hey, I'll give him a chance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We said similar things about Moyes. But, I'll give Ole a chance. I still consider him a hero of course. Don't take my negativity as a personal against Ole.
Nobody knows what will happen, let's wait and see.

It we do badly then Ole is just temporary anyway. It'll be good experience for him and us.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Struggling to understand this appointment. The main basis for it seems to be ‘he knows the club’. I’m just not sure what that even means given he played so long ago, under a different manager and so much has now changed. There’s probably very few, if any, of the same staff or board members there. It’s an entirely different culture now.

Not really seen anything from his Molde sides or his Cardiff stint to make me think he deserves to be anywhere near United manager, even in a temporary capacity.

Suvvernmanc

He's here with Phelan just to steady the ship. With Jose gone, the players now need a fresh start. They will all know their futures are on the line as the new manager, whoever that will be, will be assessing these players performances.

Solskjaer And Phelan together will no doubt implement a fairly attacking style of play and I for one can see this working. It's a short term appointment and we shouldn't be expecting top 4. That's gone! Seeing some cohesion within the team and individual players improving on the dross that they themselves have served up, is what we should expect to see, no less, no more.

Thiagoal

Struggling to understand this appointment. The main basis for it seems to be ‘he knows the club’. I’m just not sure what that even means given he played so long ago, under a different manager and so much has now changed. There’s probably very few, if any, of the same staff or board members there. It’s an entirely different culture now.

Not really seen anything from his Molde sides or his Cardiff stint to make me think he deserves to be anywhere near United manager, even in a temporary capacity.
I think the appointment is primarily to lift the gloom around the club and get the players on board and all pulling in the same direction! As such it's a great appointment! Let's hope he also manages to improve the football and gets us looking like a top team again!

Reactions: Invictus

Eric's Seagull

Before people start putting him down and coming up with negatives before he has taken him team to the pitch.
Just enjoy the moment, be happy we've got rid of the cnut Mourinho and see how it goes and please reserve judgement until then and revel that we have a club legend temporarily at the helm with good football guys around him

arthurka

Pogba and His Brain (Raiola) are negotiating as we speak. To play for this guy, or to take the piss? It’s on a knife edge...
Ole was his manager at youth level not a chance he won´t try his best for him. Ole has a knack of getting the absolute best from his playmakers.

Adebesi

So, so happy about this. Its a perfect scenario. He isnt really qualified for the job but he takes it under no pressure. Nobody expects us to get top 4, even if we lose a whole load of games and end up near the bottom, as long as we are 17th or above, it doesnt really matter. Nobody expects us to get past PSG, it could be our last CL games for some time, but as long as we give it a go who cares?

Ole is the anti Mourinho. Where we have grown accustomed to that miserable twat scowling and blaming everyone else but himself, Ole is all smiles and prefers to praise his players to the rafters. Where Mourinho thought he was god's gift to football and loved talking about his achievements from his previous jobs, Ole loves the club more than anything and will be humble. Where Mourinho wanted to fill the club with mercenaries in their 30s, Solskjaer has a record of giving young players a chance.

Before Mourinho joined I had no time for worrying about potential managers "knowing the club inside out." I still dont think that is a requirement for the job, but at this point, with the club at its lowest point in my living memory, all I want is someone who is going to put a smile back on all our faces, and this appointment does that. If he fails, if we end up out of the FA Cup and CL in short order and finish in the bottom half of the table, I wont complain. All I want is to be entertained and to go into the summer feeling like better things are possible next year.

No more excuses for the players now. I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and accept they have been as frustrated by the last 12 months as the fans have. Any that have downed tools, that is not acceptable, but all will be forgiven as long as they knuckle down and work their arses off from here on in. I believe they will do that for Ole, because he is a motivator who wants to work with his players rather than against them, and because they are playing for their futures, with whoever comes next watching from afar.

Whatever happens now, I am positive it will be better than what has been.

Eric's Seagull

Ole was his manager at youth level not a chance he won´t try his best for him. Ole has a knack of getting the absolute best from his playmakers.
Never heard much about this before although I don't watch a lot of youth football but hope you are right and he is finally the guy to get Pogba playing to his full potential mate.

donkeyfish

It seems to me the board were thinking we need someone not known for creating conflict, and try to create a better mood among the players and staff. In that case, Ole makes sense. Not merely because he's an old legend, but because he's a low key and honest guy I don't think anyone dislikes.

Thiim

When someone says OGS you certainly don't think of Ole the manager. I honestly have no idea how this will turn out and I'm not sure that's a good thing. A strange choice, even for the short-term.

Seven Seas Sardines

It just shows how clueless you are.

Ole has all the requisite qualities to be the interim manager
Indeed, I'd been happy with McKenna as interim. Don't think the two of them will be worse.

My nana would do a better job than Mourinho, our game can't get any worse. Some happiness and attacking spirit around the club is more important than anything right now.

Gopher Brown

He had 30 games, and got points in 14 of them. Nobody expected Cardiff to survive that season.

He’s not experienced, but don’t dismiss him entirely.

Do you think Guardiola would win the league with Huddersfield?

Eric's Seagull

So, so happy about this. Its a perfect scenario. He isnt really qualified for the job but he takes it under no pressure. Nobody expects us to get top 4, even if we lose a whole load of games and end up near the bottom, as long as we are 17th or above, it doesnt really matter. Nobody expects us to get past PSG, it could be our last CL games for some time, but as long as we give it a go who cares?

Ole is the anti Mourinho. Where we have grown accustomed to that miserable twat scowling and blaming everyone else but himself, Ole is all smiles and prefers to praise his players to the rafters. Where Mourinho thought he was god's gift to football and loved talking about his achievements from his previous jobs, Ole loves the club more than anything and will be humble. Where Mourinho wanted to fill the club with mercenaries in their 30s, Solskjaer has a record of giving young players a chance.

Before Mourinho joined I had no time for worrying about potential managers "knowing the club inside out." I still dont think that is a requirement for the job, but at this point, with the club at its lowest point in my living memory, all I want is someone who is going to put a smile back on all our faces, and this appointment does that. If he fails, if we end up out of the FA Cup and CL in short order and finish in the bottom half of the table, I wont complain. All I want is to be entertained and to go into the summer feeling like better things are possible next year.

No more excuses for the players now. I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and accept they have been as frustrated by the last 12 months as the fans have. Any that have downed tools, that is not acceptable, but all will be forgiven as long as they knuckle down and work their arses off from here on in. I believe they will do that for Ole, because he is a motivator who wants to work with his players rather than against them, and because they are playing for their futures, with whoever comes next watching from afar.

Whatever happens now, I am positive it will be better than what has been.
Maybe a humble person after the last 2 forthright/arrogant/obstinate cnuts is what we need.

Abhinav

Can’t wait for Saturday - would have been perfect if the match was at OT. Getting all giddy with the thought of ‘You are my Solskjaer’ being sung as Ole walks on to the OT pitch next Wednesday.

RedDevil@84

At least the media would stop hounding our manager, for a while at least.

I am excited to see how it goes though. I wish it would go very well (though unlikely)

Denis79

This one was for the fans is my belief. We've had 3 managers that have done the opposite of what us fans consider to be the "United way". My hope is that Woodward felt some pressure from both fans and pundits about the way he was leading the club. The truth has probably something to do with money knowing Woodward, but one can dream.

BigRon1985

I’m with you on this one mate! Woodward makes a decisive football related executive decision for once then appoints a failed PL manager who got his side relegated in his first season and was sacked only a few games into his second! I’m not buying the knows the club inside out justification either. I could think of a lot better appointments if you want ex players who have managed in the PL - Steve Bruce is twiddling his thumbs and is highly experienced and a club legend surely?

Been listening to TalkSport all day - 47% of fans polled are not impressed. Just another inexplicable decision by the club! Should have gone for Wenger.

At least Mike Phelan is back though - his balloon popping capabilities have been much missed in the dug out! :lol:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Fecking love Ole. Wish him all the best. Hope he can sort out the mess we're in at the moment.