Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Greck

Still chuffed to see a change regardless who it is. Finally the last 20mins of every game we're winning won't be focused on defending. United fans are about to remember how much they missed playing for more goals in the dying stages of a game

Last edited:

onemanarmy

I’m with you on this one mate! Woodward makes a decisive football related executive decision for once then appoints a failed PL manager who got his side relegated in his first season and was sacked only a few games into his second! I’m not buying the knows the club inside out justification either. I could think of a lot better appointments if you want ex players who have managed in the PL - Steve Bruce is twiddling his thumbs and is highly experienced and a club legend surely?

Been listening to TalkSport all day - 47% of fans polled are not impressed. Just another inexplicable decision by the club! Should have gone for Wenger.

At least Mike Phelan is back though - his balloon popping capabilities have been much missed in the dug out! :lol:
Surely a WUM.

Adebesi

Maybe a humble person after the last 2 forthright/arrogant/obstinate cnuts is what we need.
It certainly feels like what I need.

I want someone to earn their right to be arrogant by achieving things with us. Not fail miserably with us and then point to shit from 10 years ago as evidence its not their fault.

After the last two appointments in particular I have really warmed to the idea of a young and aspiring manager. Better to get the guy who still has it all to prove than the guy who thinks he knows it all already, and is more interested in talking about the medals he has already won than the ones he hopes to win in the future.

But either way, it doesnt matter because even if Ole isnt up to this - and let's face it, more than likely he isnt - he is only an interim manager. So we can just relax and enjoy the rest of a season I had already written off.

The_Midfielder

"Give me a lucky general , than a smart general"
I really think Ole will me one of the lucky generals..

deafepl

I hope he at least learned from Cardiff.

In the championship season he brought in 9 players and changed his starting XI in every match before getting sacked.
As long as we have DoF in place, he'll be fine but handing egos is another matter, his style of football and tactical is fine, he needs to have dressing room under his control.

Eric's Seagull

It certainly feels like what I need.

I want someone to earn their right to be arrogant by achieving things with us. Not fail miserably with us and then point to shit from 10 years ago as evidence its not their fault.

After the last two appointments in particular I have really warmed to the idea of a young and aspiring manager. Better to get the guy who still has it all to prove than the guy who thinks he knows it all already, and is more interested in talking about the medals he has already won than the ones he hopes to win in the future.

But either way, it doesnt matter because even if Ole isnt up to this - and let's face it, more than likely he isnt - he is only an interim manager. So we can just relax and enjoy the rest of a season I had already written off.
Very good post mate. Like you said just enjoy it until the end of the season and see how it goes. I know the odds are against him strongly but he might prove a lot of people wrong and do something special.

JMack1234

There brief is simple:

Play some better football and improve the atmosphere around the club and I have full confidence in them to do that.

Results wise they need to try get us in the top four because it's technically salvageable (In the same way the Titanic is technically salvageable) but they need to ensure we get into Europe and hopefully go on a FA cup run.

Nr.7

Solskjaer was one of my favorite players growing up. It’s brilliant having him back at the club.

Good luck, Ole!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
What is wrong with MUTV no interview?
Ah. You noticed. No interview. No hype. No players posting - I mean not one word - on social media. No thanks to Mou from players. Sounds like a lock down. Sounds like Woody in the bunker. Betcha negotiations with 2019 manager still underway

manunited1919

I would have preferred L Blanc, but I am happy with the change and have no doubt Ole loves MUFC as much as most of us fans do. He is all about the team instead of aggrandizing his own ego. So yeah, perfect interim manager. He might even surprise us.

RedDevil@84

Ah. You noticed. No interview. No hype. No players posting - I mean not one word - on social media. No thanks to Mou from players. Sounds like a lock down. Sounds like Woody in the bunker. Betcha negotiations with 2019 manager still underway
Did we have interviews with players thanking LvG after he left? Or for Moyes?

Nirv

So, so happy about this. Its a perfect scenario. He isnt really qualified for the job but he takes it under no pressure. Nobody expects us to get top 4, even if we lose a whole load of games and end up near the bottom, as long as we are 17th or above, it doesnt really matter. Nobody expects us to get past PSG, it could be our last CL games for some time, but as long as we give it a go who cares?

Ole is the anti Mourinho. Where we have grown accustomed to that miserable twat scowling and blaming everyone else but himself, Ole is all smiles and prefers to praise his players to the rafters. Where Mourinho thought he was god's gift to football and loved talking about his achievements from his previous jobs, Ole loves the club more than anything and will be humble. Where Mourinho wanted to fill the club with mercenaries in their 30s, Solskjaer has a record of giving young players a chance.

Before Mourinho joined I had no time for worrying about potential managers "knowing the club inside out." I still dont think that is a requirement for the job, but at this point, with the club at its lowest point in my living memory, all I want is someone who is going to put a smile back on all our faces, and this appointment does that. If he fails, if we end up out of the FA Cup and CL in short order and finish in the bottom half of the table, I wont complain. All I want is to be entertained and to go into the summer feeling like better things are possible next year.

No more excuses for the players now. I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and accept they have been as frustrated by the last 12 months as the fans have. Any that have downed tools, that is not acceptable, but all will be forgiven as long as they knuckle down and work their arses off from here on in. I believe they will do that for Ole, because he is a motivator who wants to work with his players rather than against them, and because they are playing for their futures, with whoever comes next watching from afar.

Whatever happens now, I am positive it will be better than what has been.
This exactly. I don’t understand some people’s doom and gloom about OGS, and questioning his cv as a manager.

Getting top 4 / winning CL / FA Cup would have been a tall order for any interim manager taking over the squad in its current mess. These should been seen as a bonus if fulfilled rather than an expectation.

The key now is bringing positivity and fight back to OT, and playing the way we should be playing, attacking football, on the front foot, the Man Utd way.

Whether we win or lose is not the most important now. Finding back our identity after years of passing sideways and hoof ball is the priority instead.

This I believe in Ole.

Reactions: Penna

Red_toad

Great news. But what the feck is a footballing deputy manager? Assistant has and always will be the correct term please...

Red Devil's Advocate

This 6 month long audition may create history. Exactly the sort of manager we need right now. Giggs must be ruing not getting into management 2.5 years back. :)

JMack1234

Anyone who remembers that Cardiff will recall what a shambles that team was before Solskjaer took over. Anybody using that as evidence that he'll flop here needs to remember that.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Did we have interviews with players thanking LvG after he left? Or for Moyes?
I meant (as did @arthurka) interviews or quotes etc. with OGS. Its v low key so far.
In that respect I was also remarking on how quiet the players are on twitter etc, about anything to do with the change of management

Adebesi

Anyone who remembers that Cardiff will recall what a shambles that team was before Solskjaer took over. Anybody using that as evidence that he'll flop here needs to remember that.
I was really torn about that appointment. On the one hand, my in laws are Cardiff fans so I have a soft spot for the club and loved the idea he would do well there - he was a very highly regarded young manager at the time. But I also knew the odds were stacked against him there big time. I never really understood why he took the job, he had turned various others down (including, I think, Villa?) and said he was waiting for the right opportunity. Why he thought Cardiff was that I have no idea.

RedDevil@84

I meant (as did @arthurka) interviews or quotes etc. with OGS. Its v low key so far.
In that respect I was also remarking on how quiet the players are on twitter etc, about anything to do with the change of management
I agree with interview with OGS. I am glad it is low key though.