Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

R77

For those wanting an idea of Solskjærs tactical style, here is an interesting article:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/h...solskjaer-manchester-united-tactical-analysis
That's a good read, thanks. The most in-depth description of his methods I've seen so far, but basically high-pressing, possesion based, attacking football. The key is getting the players drilled quickly enough.

Now that it's beginning to sink in I'm feeling no less positive. Very happy. Ole managing Manchester United. Phelan and his shorts... Really looking forward to the next few months.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Where did you learn of that?
Norwegian newspaper livefeed:

Giggs has arrived
Dagbladet is in place outside Manchester United's training field, Carrington, where players have driven in earlier today. However, a more unexpected guest has also arrived at the training field, reports Dagbladet's journalist, Christian Monge Hugsted. Wales manager Ryan Giggs just drove into the gates, but it is uncertain in what errands.

Solskjær and Giggs played together for a number of years and have a tight band. Giggs was the one who took over as a temporary manager when Louis van Gaal was fired two years ago.

According to Sky Sports, Solskjær will lead his first training tomorrow, Thursday. His first press conference as Manchester United manager will be on Friday.

iHicksy

Can imagine Ole and Mike walking into the changing rooms and being like "F**king hell boys, they've upgraded these a bit haven't they?".

Shaidabdullah Hussain

Obviously we have appointed Ole to bring some positivity back to the club and give the players some confidence, but he is definitely not a pushover. He once sarcastically applauded Stuart pearce after an own goal. Also, after having been dropped by Fergie, he arranged a meeting and the game after this meeting - he got selected.

Just because he has a baby face doesn't mean he will get pushed around.

Reactions: SteveJ

buchansleftleg

Well with this appointment we will certainly find out if Jose was producing an amazing level from inferior players pretty quickly!

If thats true we will cascade further down the table now a relatively inexperienced manager takes over.

I don't know how Ole manages Molde so I can't say for sure but I'm inclined to disagree with Mourinho.

I think there will be an initial uplift just because of the release of tensions that have clearly built up.

Beyond that it will be a case of how Ole, Phelan, Mckenna and Carrick can work together to...

Give everyone a fresh start /clear the air
Come up with a consistent team dynamic
Train and coach our attack to work collaboratively
Inject pace and movement into the attack.

I've concentrated on attack as that should be the quickest win. Restoring confidence and organisation at the back may take longer but I think the fans won't mind losing a few thrillers if we are posing an attacking threat once more.

On a personal note - Ole get's an absolute free pass from me. If it doesn't work out he has helped the club in it's hour of need and his name will continue to ring around the stadium for generations to come.

If he does well then he has laid a claim for the role at some point in the future. Whatever happens he will represent the club in a much better way than the sulk from Porto!

redspoony

Happy with this, but then that's the point, isn't it? It's a crowd pleasing appointment.

I don't see Olly getting the job long term and I don't see him pulling up any trees either.

What he will do, I hope, is instill some pride in the badge and get the team playing forward thinking football. He loves Manchester United and was part of teams that played "the right way". Hopefully we'll see him espouse those values while he's in charge.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
How is it though? We were playing shite and the players were miserable to boot. No one expects Ole to get us top 4 or win the CL. No manager in the world could turn around this season for us coming in in December. The advantage of Ole is having a guy who is hugely respected in the club and all of the players now that his status here means that they won't be able to turn fans against him. Short of getting us relegated the season has already been ruined and Ole may at least bring back a feel good factor and positivity in our players. Every fan would be more than happy with a 6th place finish while playing more adventurous football, anything else is out of our hands.

His Premier League record is atrocious with a shite team. Would Pep have done better at Cardiff, is Klopp atrocious for the position he left Dortmund in? These guys are far better than Ole too. I think this is first good decision made by the club as long as they follow through on the promises. Firstly get a good DOF in asap and allow him to analyse the players and start making a plan. Allow that DOF have a say in who is the next manager. Hopefully have a sure choice sorted for before the end if the season so that proper plans for the summer can be made.

Ole knows that he is here in the interim. If he does well it helps his reputation, if not his rep doesn't take that much of a hit among the clubs that would hire him. Can you name any manager that you think would have accepted an interim role while stepping into a club who's season is effectively wrecked anyway? What constitutes a disaster for you? We were already sliding under Jose, I don't think we are shite enough to finish outside of the top 8 and that's what we have been on course for anyway.

Basically it would be great to get a more proven name but they would never accept an interim contract and that would leave us with a new manager without a DOF again. You guys sorted out these positions in advance of Pep, it's time for us to do the same now. Also for example if Mitchell is considered good for the role then having him may make it easier to tempt Poch. Same applies to other combinations that have worked well together before.
Having thought about it this afternoon, there's a chance you're right. Solskjaer could actually improve United because him and Phelan might actually do some fecking coaching. :lol:

RedorDead21

Can imagine Ole and Mike walking into the changing rooms and being like "F**king hell boys, they've upgraded these a bit haven't they?".
Or..."F**king hell boys, you lot are a massive downgrade on what I used to see in the changing rooms.......

PS...I wont say that to the media as I'm not like him...."

Frank Rijkaard - Relegated at Sparta Rotterdam
Jürgen Klopp - Relegated at Mainz 05
Arsène Wenger - Relegated with Nancy
Claudio Ranieri - Relegated at Atlético Madrid (resigned before it happened)

Will people stop going on about relegation at Cardiff as if its a barometer for the rest of his entire fecking career.
Good post.

RedDevil-85

Welcome back Ole! :devil:
Exciting appointment,him and Phelan could be a good duo.
Good to have a coach who loves the club,who wont throw players under the bus and take constant digs at our history.
Maybe even Greenwood and Chong will get their chances:drool:

Reactions: SteveJ

Maticmaker

He should be able to coax some decent football out of our shell-shocked squad and put a smile on most fans faces, but beyond that …?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Having thought about it this afternoon, there's a chance you're right. Solskjaer could actually improve United because him and Phelan might actually do some fecking coaching. :lol:
Truly an abstract concept at modern United :lol:

Morganus

The season is a write-off anyway.

Ole is very much a crowd pleaser, and I hope he lets the players enjoy their football. He can also teach Lukaku how to finish as well.

RedIan

Ole is loved by the fans, cult hero topped by the winning goal at the nou camp 99 - but too early to say if its a good appointment. Im sure he can implement a more positive atmosphere around the club rather than the dourness that clouded and depressed all under Jose. Too early to judge if its the right move but it is a positive move and quite exciting after a tedious few months. (Years)

Good luck OGS and MP bring us some exciting football please.

Reactions: Penna

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I'm surprised by the amount of people saying the season is a write-off for. You've got 21 games to make up 8 points, you're still in the Champions League, and you've still got the FA Cup to come, with a January window before all that really gets going.

dove

I'm surprised by the amount of people saying the season is a write-off for. You've got 21 games to make up 8 points, you're still in the Champions League, and you've still got the FA Cup to come, with a January window before all that really gets going.
11 points to 4th, essentially 12 because of GD. Not impossible but really difficult.

baskinginthesun

Good appointment overall.

Hopefully he comes in and makes the players forget they ever played for Jose. Maybe that's the point until the permanent one comes in. He's young enough to connect to the younger players but, probably wise enough to not be pushed around by the egos in the team either. Plus, he has trained Pogba.

Some of the other interims may have asked for more money than Ole. He is probably getting a lot more than what he is receiving at Molde but, a lot less than say what Blanc (for example) would have wanted. Just a hunch and absolutely no facts behind this.

Jezpeza

Well with this appointment we will certainly find out if Jose was producing an amazing level from inferior players pretty quickly!

If thats true we will cascade further down the table now a relatively inexperienced manager takes over.

I don't know how Ole manages Molde so I can't say for sure but I'm inclined to disagree with Mourinho.

I think there will be an initial uplift just because of the release of tensions that have clearly built up.

Beyond that it will be a case of how Ole, Phelan, Mckenna and Carrick can work together to...

Give everyone a fresh start /clear the air
Come up with a consistent team dynamic
Train and coach our attack to work collaboratively
Inject pace and movement into the attack.

I've concentrated on attack as that should be the quickest win. Restoring confidence and organisation at the back may take longer but I think the fans won't mind losing a few thrillers if we are posing an attacking threat once more.

On a personal note - Ole get's an absolute free pass from me. If it doesn't work out he has helped the club in it's hour of need and his name will continue to ring around the stadium for generations to come.

If he does well then he has laid a claim for the role at some point in the future. Whatever happens he will represent the club in a much better way than the sulk from Porto!

A good post. I think we should be able to play some attacking football.

Imagine a 4 3 3

DG
Dalot Lindelof Bailly Shaw

Fred Lingard Pogba

Rashford Lukaku Martial

Something like that would be All players who can Be here long term. I do hold that people like Valencia young and Matic are past it and Darmian Jones Rojo are still crap regardless of who is manager but no one can say we can’t field a team with attacking mentality, pace and running in it. If we start playing lukaku in over the top and running onto things he’s a much better player than being used as a target man

Great news. But what the feck is a footballing deputy manager? Assistant has and always will be the correct term please...
We already have a deputy manager in Carrick? I've not seen Phelen's title - but if that's it, it will be a HR decision, so we don't have to change roles and titles of the likes of Carrick.

freddie the red

So, so happy about this. Its a perfect scenario. He isnt really qualified for the job but he takes it under no pressure. Nobody expects us to get top 4, even if we lose a whole load of games and end up near the bottom, as long as we are 17th or above, it doesnt really matter. Nobody expects us to get past PSG, it could be our last CL games for some time, but as long as we give it a go who cares?

Ole is the anti Mourinho. Where we have grown accustomed to that miserable twat scowling and blaming everyone else but himself, Ole is all smiles and prefers to praise his players to the rafters. Where Mourinho thought he was god's gift to football and loved talking about his achievements from his previous jobs, Ole loves the club more than anything and will be humble. Where Mourinho wanted to fill the club with mercenaries in their 30s, Solskjaer has a record of giving young players a chance.

Before Mourinho joined I had no time for worrying about potential managers "knowing the club inside out." I still dont think that is a requirement for the job, but at this point, with the club at its lowest point in my living memory, all I want is someone who is going to put a smile back on all our faces, and this appointment does that. If he fails, if we end up out of the FA Cup and CL in short order and finish in the bottom half of the table, I wont complain. All I want is to be entertained and to go into the summer feeling like better things are possible next year.

No more excuses for the players now. I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and accept they have been as frustrated by the last 12 months as the fans have. Any that have downed tools, that is not acceptable, but all will be forgiven as long as they knuckle down and work their arses off from here on in. I believe they will do that for Ole, because he is a motivator who wants to work with his players rather than against them, and because they are playing for their futures, with whoever comes next watching from afar.

Whatever happens now, I am positive it will be better than what has been.
So, so happy about this. Its a perfect scenario. He isnt really qualified for the job but he takes it under no pressure. Nobody expects us to get top 4, even if we lose a whole load of games and end up near the bottom, as long as we are 17th or above, it doesnt really matter. Nobody expects us to get past PSG, it could be our last CL games for some time, but as long as we give it a go who cares?

Ole is the anti Mourinho. Where we have grown accustomed to that miserable twat scowling and blaming everyone else but himself, Ole is all smiles and prefers to praise his players to the rafters. Where Mourinho thought he was god's gift to football and loved talking about his achievements from his previous jobs, Ole loves the club more than anything and will be humble. Where Mourinho wanted to fill the club with mercenaries in their 30s, Solskjaer has a record of giving young players a chance.

Before Mourinho joined I had no time for worrying about potential managers "knowing the club inside out." I still dont think that is a requirement for the job, but at this point, with the club at its lowest point in my living memory, all I want is someone who is going to put a smile back on all our faces, and this appointment does that. If he fails, if we end up out of the FA Cup and CL in short order and finish in the bottom half of the table, I wont complain. All I want is to be entertained and to go into the summer feeling like better things are possible next year.

No more excuses for the players now. I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and accept they have been as frustrated by the last 12 months as the fans have. Any that have downed tools, that is not acceptable, but all will be forgiven as long as they knuckle down and work their arses off from here on in. I believe they will do that for Ole, because he is a motivator who wants to work with his players rather than against them, and because they are playing for their futures, with whoever comes next watching from afar.

Whatever happens now, I am positive it will be better than what has been.

This..........except I'd rather not be flirting with relegation and I'd love a swashbuckling FA Cup win