Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Red Devil's Advocate

There is no ulterior motive here other than having someone who knows the club inside out and has managerial experience. Unfortunately or fortunately the likes of Hughes and Bruce don't count because they have been institutionalized by the ways of the Premier League. In Ole, we have a possibility as he is someone sensible and well accepted across the fan base. Moreover his emphasis on attacking football is what we actually dig.

Irrespective of how his previous stints ended, the circumstances, resources and the players at hand are unlike anything he had at his disposal previously. If we can remain in top-6 with attacking football, I think he will seal the deal by summer. The current arrangement is just a convenient arrangement between the clubs so that Man Utd don't become a club without a clue which will have ramifications on the financial side of things too with Molde just respecting Ole's ambition for what he has done for them.

Reactions: Penna

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
When do we reckon we'll get to see him in gear, in a press conference etc, talking to MUTV etc? I can't wait for all that jazz.

Also, does it annoy anyone else that there's so little 'material' on Ole over the last few years? Like I haven't come across any lengthy interviews from him, haven't seen him in any training clips other than the one everyone has probably seen by now, haven't seen clips of him doing any punditry. I'd normally be lapping all that up right now to get myself excited.

SamVimes

I think a big factor to why OGS didn't succeed in Cardiff is that they didn't have the players to suit his style of football. They were your typical hoofball championship team.

And he got thrown in there in mid season with a team literally in the s***t. Wrong club at the wrong time
Sounds alot like us.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Welcome back Ole! Don't know what will happen but my goodness I want him to do well so badly.

MJJ

He’s on 400k a year at Molde FK and we will pay them 1.8m to borrow him for 5 months while they are on close season?? Then pay them 8m if we decide to keep him? If that is true then Woodward really does need sacking.
What other club would let you lease their manager?

I mean youyguys are complaining about nothing now

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Jamie Jackson has no idea what he is talking about, nice enough bloke, useless reporter.
Nice enough bloke? He's an egotistical snowflake cnut.

But, yeah, back on topic. I can't wait for him to get started. The atmosphere for the short term is going to be jumping, which in itself is enough to make me smile. Makes a difference from watching us and thinking about downing a 2 litre tin of white emulsion.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

People saying Solskjaer won't earn big players respect. The man won more at United than all of them put together, he's bigger than anyone there, anyone who doesn't instantly respect him should be sold in the summer.
This. Fecking this. Some people here are lunatics.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Worth a punt!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Loving this, the more it sinks in and I think about it, genuinely excited.

I’m not expecting win after win or any miracles but just to hopefully get some positivity back around the club, no more having a manager slouched at press conferences with a constant misery looming around the place.

Ole and Phelan may have a bit of a shock with how much the dressing room has changed in such a short time, more so phelan, it’ll feel strange going back in there to different faces under different circumstances, different attitudes etc

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
What other club would let you lease their manager?

I mean youyguys are complaining about nothing now
We have hired our new manager who was on £400k per year. Ok let’s stop complaining! If this isn’t nostalgic, sentimental crap at its highest level, then I don’t know what is.

reddaz71

How on earth can the manager of Molde be the right appointment for Man Utd just because he has links with the club from 15 years ago? its nothing more than a blatant PR stunt to get the fans back onside, sorry,wishing him well but this could potentially be worse than under Mourinho!

Nick7

How on earth can the manager of Molde be the right appointment for Man Utd just because he has links with the club from 15 years ago? its nothing more than a blatant PR stunt to get the fans back onside, sorry,wishing him well but this could potentially be worse than under Mourinho!
Remember when Barcelona hired their youth team coach to manage them?

Or Madrid even.

An Irish Red

If he likes pressing football then he's going to love having Fred and Herrera as options in midfield. Lingard and Rashford are both good at it as well. Matic and Lukaku are in trouble.

Setting the team up to press (and attack) would be worlds away from the dross we've seen this season, that's for sure.

Foxbatt

Or Madrid even.
Yeah. How did that work out as they were so incompetent they got the sack after 3 months? Or did they win almost everything? Ole is only a caretaker manager anyway for the rest of the season and I am sure the football will be better than the dross Jose got them to play day after day. That will give the time for the club to get the manager they want instead of the rush job they have been doing so far.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Did the keeper coach leave with Jose? If so, are we just assuming Dave knows what he's doing letting him get on with it?

Art Vandelay

If he likes pressing football then he's going to love having Fred and Herrera as options in midfield. Lingard and Rashford are both good at it as well. Matic and Lukaku are in trouble.

Setting the team up to press (and attack) would be worlds away from the dross we've seen this season, that's for sure.
I suppose it depends on how much pressing, but it might mean issues for Pogba and Mata too. I'm not sure we really have the full team for it yet, but I certainly expect us to not immediately drop off when the opposition get the ball now or stand around pointing.

SirAF

Ageist
Did the keeper coach leave with Jose? If so, are we just assuming Dave knows what he's doing letting him get on with it?
de Gea got his own personal GK coach, Alvarez, at the club. Silvino Louro was Mourinho’s man.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Or Madrid even.
Remember when Ole was hired for permanent 1st team coach. Those were good times. This is a blatant PR move since its unlikely he is even being considered for a long term job.

I would be absolutely behind this if we got a DoF to work with Ole, and he gets 3 seasons to make us into a top team. Instead we are going 'all out' for a manager that just signed a 5 year contract.

Jezpeza

There is no ulterior motive here other than having someone who knows the club inside out and has managerial experience. Unfortunately or fortunately the likes of Hughes and Bruce don't count because they have been institutionalized by the ways of the Premier League. In Ole, we have a possibility as he is someone sensible and well accepted across the fan base. Moreover his emphasis on attacking football is what we actually dig.

Irrespective of how his previous stints ended, the circumstances, resources and the players at hand are unlike anything he had at his disposal previously. If we can remain in top-6 with attacking football, I think he will seal the deal by summer. The current arrangement is just a convenient arrangement between the clubs so that Man Utd don't become a club without a clue which will have ramifications on the financial side of things too with Molde just respecting Ole's ambition for what he has done for them.

I agree. His Molde team plays in the right way tactically albeit without the personnel etc. We couldn’t appoint someone like Steve Bruce. Did you see his Birmingham Wigan Sunderland teams etc? Would rather stick with Mourinho. Also I think Solskjaer will do a lot of coaching of the players, aiming to improve them, as he was a past coach at the club and player, and that something Mourinho did not do. I think the board were struggling to fathom not only the tactics but why some of our younger players were not improving.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Even with Alan Curbishley in charge they need to fund the manager to get a centre back/centre mid in Jan. At least one of those, so either a CM to relieve the pressure off the back 4 or a CB that’s actually able to cope with it :lol:

Nick7

Remember when Ole was hired for permanent 1st team coach. Those were good times. This is a blatant PR move since its unlikely he is even being considered for a long term job.

I would be absolutely behind this if we got a DoF to work with Ole, and he gets 3 seasons to make us into a top team. Instead we are going 'all out' for a manager that just signed a 5 year contract.
We're getting an interim manager that knows the club inside out for 6 months while we deal with a long term appointment. How is this a bad thing? Regardless of whether we hire Poch in the summer, having an interim manager takes any pressure of this season off the then permanent manager. Say Zidane or whoever came in today and permanent manager, and we were still fecking awful for the next 6 months. That would cast a shadow on them. It would heap even more pressure on an already pressure filled job.

For once recently we're actually thinking long term instead of a quick fix.

Eric's Seagull

I agree. His Molde team plays in the right way tactically albeit without the personnel etc. We couldn’t appoint someone like Steve Bruce. Did you see his Birmingham Wigan Sunderland teams etc? Would rather stick with Mourinho. Also I think Solskjaer will do a lot of coaching of the players, aiming to improve them, as he was a past coach at the club and player, and that something Mourinho did not do. I think the board were struggling to fathom not only the tactics but why some of our younger players were not improving.
Glad they finally realised and decided to act upon it before we got even worse:)

Member 90887

Why this negativity, let the man have his chance, he hasn't even had one training session with the group!

You people always love moaning, there's no satisfying you. let the fans be happy, who cares, there's no one available now, at least we got someone that we like.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Doesn't matter what experience you have in the PL, doesn't matter what your record is or if you get the club or not bullshit...

Managing Manchester United is a different beast altogether. Its not arrogance, its just a fact.
I mean look at the news coverage over the last two days. That is insane!!

We've seen experience and track records count for feck all, we've had two managerial greats since Fergie, one of them being one of the most successful of all time and neither counted for much in the end...

I don't know what is going to happen. I hope the club sorts itself out before it becomes a parody. I hope Pogba becomes the player he promises to be and goes on to be a club legend. I hope one of Trish Stratus, Susanna Reid and Elizabeth Hurley decide they find me attractive and become my sexual deviant and partner

All I know is, there's a small ray of light breaking through the 5 year storm... Let's see if the waters become less choppy over the coming months

Acquire Me

How did Klopp and Poch become elite managers? Because someone saw something in them and gave them a chance. Its as easy and hard as that.

Worse than Mourinho? I have no words.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We're getting an interim manager that knows the club inside out for 6 months while we deal with a long term appointment. How is this a bad thing? Regardless of whether we hire Poch in the summer, having an interim manager takes any pressure of this season off the first permanent manager. Say Zidane or whoever came in today and permanent manager, and we were still fecking awful for the next 6 months. That would cast a shadow on them. It would heap even more pressure on an already pressure filled job.
Its not a bad thing in isolation, but the situation has been handled very poorly. Mourinho should have been sacked months ago (West Ham loss would be my pick) and then the next manager would have had most of the season to work things out.

Ole has basically been given no chance to actually make something out of this. By the time he gets to know these players the season will basically be over.

So the only conclusion is that the board panicked and got a former player in because the fans are suckers for former players. They've just wasted a lot of time because of their indecisiveness on sacking the manager.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
At least the Press Conferences will no longer make me cringe

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jesus Christ you miserable bunch of sods!
You overwhelmingly wanted Mourinho out ASAP and now it’s happened you’re unhappy with a CARETAKER manager which will give the club proper time to sort a new manager and a DoF. Why not Solskjaer? Why is it any different to butt, cantona, Giggs, carrick or McKenna, all the names that have been bandied about? Some of you suggesting that miserable twat Hughes ffs!

Ole promotes attacking and positive actions. He’ll be like a breath of fresh air!

Lastwolf

Its not a bad thing in isolation, but the situation has been handled very poorly. Mourinho should have been sacked months ago (West Ham loss would be my pick) and then the next manager would have had most of the season to work things out.

Ole has basically been given no chance to actually make something out of this. By the time he gets to know these players the season will basically be over.

So the only conclusion is that the board panicked and got a former player in because the fans are suckers for former players. They've just wasted a lot of time because of their indecisiveness on sacking the manager.

A not unreasonable conclusion.

But given that it's true, what else would you do? Woodward isn't going to leave so if he's going to course correct, these seems a logical move, panicking would be appointing Big Sam on a permanent deal.