Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

vivaronaldo

happy for ole as an interim , wish him the best ,hope he sorts out whatever the hell the issues are and gets the place excited again

now to the board do your due diligence and get someone that will do the job justice come 2019/20

Stan Jefferson

Jesus Christ you miserable bunch of sods!
You overwhelmingly wanted Mourinho out ASAP and now it’s happened you’re unhappy with a CARETAKER manager which will give the club proper time to sort a new manager and a DoF. Why not Solskjaer? Why is it any different to butt, cantona, Giggs, carrick or McKenna, all the names that have been bandied about? Some of you suggesting that miserable twat Hughes ffs!

Ole promotes attacking and positive actions. He’ll be like a breath of fresh air!
It's almost as if people have got so used to whinging and moaning all the time that they've forgotten how not to. People have criticised the club for the last 3 managerial hirings, now they are trying to learn from their mistakes and get it right, let's at least give them a chance.

The situation isn't perfect but we've just had to fire our manager so it's unrealistic to expect it to be. A bit of positivity would go a long way.

CA_vampire

It is exciting to have Ole as our manager. It is certainly not guaranteed that he will be successful, but we all hope that he makes it.

Plus, Phelan brings a lot of experience. They may be able to build a great partnership.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
A not unreasonable conclusion.

But given that it's true, what else would you do? Woodward isn't going to leave so if he's going to course correct, these seems a logical move, panicking would be appointing Big Sam on a permanent deal.
That would be suicide!

I'm quite disappointed that instead of picking a former player with some promise, and giving him a platform to succeed they are using him to get fans off their back until they can get in a hipster manager in.

What would have been really brave is to give Ole a 2 year contract, so he gets a proper go next season and if he does well we can extend his contract.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Gaah I just imagined Ole walking into training and introducing himself to the team and I got a little flurry of excitement as I'm thinking it'll have felt like a massive breath of fresh air to them.

Eric's Seagull

Why this negativity, let the man have his chance, he hasn't even had one training session with the group!

You people always love moaning, there's no satisfying you. let the fans be happy, who cares, there's no one available now, at least we got someone that we like.
Brilliant positive nice to see someone who appreciates we are in a better situation than we were in. Good on you pal.

Canagel

How on earth can the manager of Molde be the right appointment for Man Utd just because he has links with the club from 15 years ago? its nothing more than a blatant PR stunt to get the fans back onside, sorry,wishing him well but this could potentially be worse than under Mourinho!
It won't be any worse than Mourinho. I can guarantee you that.

Red_toad

We already have a deputy manager in Carrick? I've not seen Phelen's title - but if that's it, it will be a HR decision, so we don't have to change roles and titles of the likes of Carrick.
His job title is first team coach according to manutd.com. He’s assisting the manager, not deputising for him. Wrong term for the job!

reddaz71

How did Klopp and Poch become elite managers? Because someone saw something in them and gave them a chance. Its as easy and hard as that.

Worse than Mourinho? I have no words.
IF you read the quote properly it says POTENTIALLY worse.

tieunhilang

I’m with you on this one mate! Woodward makes a decisive football related executive decision for once then appoints a failed PL manager who got his side relegated in his first season and was sacked only a few games into his second! I’m not buying the knows the club inside out justification either. I could think of a lot better appointments if you want ex players who have managed in the PL - Steve Bruce is twiddling his thumbs and is highly experienced and a club legend surely?

Been listening to TalkSport all day - 47% of fans polled are not impressed. Just another inexplicable decision by the club! Should have gone for Wenger.

At least Mike Phelan is back though - his balloon popping capabilities have been much missed in the dug out! :lol:
Reasons why Solskjaer would win the Champions League for Manchester United this season:

- Champions League Final in 2019 would be held on June 1st. Who else but the "baby-faced" assasin would celebrate on that day?
- After 20 years from the glorious 1999 treble, the player with jersey 20 of that year would win the Champions League again for Manchester United.
- The last 3 Champions League trophies were won by a coach who scored the winner in a Champions League final.

Come on, guys! It's written in the stars!

croadyman

I was really torn about that appointment. On the one hand, my in laws are Cardiff fans so I have a soft spot for the club and loved the idea he would do well there - he was a very highly regarded young manager at the time. But I also knew the odds were stacked against him there big time. I never really understood why he took the job, he had turned various others down (including, I think, Villa?) and said he was waiting for the right opportunity. Why he thought Cardiff was that I have no idea.
I wanted him to do well at Cardiff in 2014 because he will always have a special place in my heart for that winner in Barcelona, however all I saw yesterday on twitter was loads of abuse towards him from their fans, therefore I am proper fired up to put one over them on Saturday now

The Mad Manc

I'm actually looking forward to the game at the weekend. What a wonderful feeling!

I'm happy with the appointment. I'm happy that the club is going to take some time to get the DoF and permanent manager right. I'm happy that the club is actively seeking a return to its core values. I'm happy that there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

I'm :)

Mint

This will end in tears. This sentimental nonsense about being a club legend will be forgotten when the season ends in February.

If he never played for Man Utd, he would not even be considered for the job. He's the manager of Molde. Would you hire the manager of Qarabag
because he has CL experience? I'm guessing not.

PaulRich

Interim solution. Get us 40 points then rotate the whole squad through the remaining games - let the incoming shortlist of permanent managers see whos got the cojones for the next season.

This will end in tears. This sentimental nonsense about being a club legend will be forgotten when the season ends in February.

If he never played for Man Utd, he would not even be considered for the job. He's the manager of Molde. Would you hire the manager of Qarabag
because he has CL experience? I'm guessing not.
It's only temporary. Someone like Ole is exactly who we need to lift morale at the club. The atmosphere is toxic at the moment, Ole is ideal to change that: he's universally poplar and respected. Let's get behind him and see what he bring.

Mint

It's only temporary. Someone like Ole is exactly who we need to lift morale at the club. The atmosphere is toxic at the moment, Ole is ideal to change that: he's universally poplar and respected. Let's get behind him and see what he bring.
I'm sure than Blanc would be respected by the players; he's managed at a high level. I feel we've wasted the whole season. Mourinho should have been sacked in October during the international break. Top 4 would still be possible, but the board have messed up.

Micky Targaryen

I might be in the minority here but I'm more excited about Phelan's return, rather than Solskjaer. Wonder if we can re-sign Meulensteen too. Anyone have any idea what he's up to these days?

Ban

I'm sure than Blanc would be respected by the players; he's managed at a high level. I feel we've wasted the whole season. Mourinho should have been sacked in October during the international break. Top 4 would still be possible, but the board have messed up.
And you know Blanc would agree to be a caretaker?

kps88

I might be in the minority here but I'm more excited about Phelan's return, rather than Solskjaer. Wonder if we can re-sign Meulensteen too. Anyone have any idea what he's up to these days?
Assistant manager to the Australian national team. It's funny both Phelan and him ended up in Australian football.

haram

We must remember that he was the Molde manager and that is probably his level. This is more about raising spirits and keeping people happy until the summer though so lets just enjoy it.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He’s on 400k a year at Molde FK and we will pay them 1.8m to borrow him for 5 months while they are on close season?? Then pay them 8m if we decide to keep him? If that is true then Woodward really does need sacking.
All things considered, thats peanuts. Mou just got 24 million for failing spectacularly and dragging the club through the mud with him

el3mel

I don't understand the appreciation Blanc is getting here tbh. He hasn't even been a candidate for any big job since he left PSG 2-3 years ago and has been in his house since then. I'm glad we're staying away from him.

flappyjay

His Molde team finished second but also scored the most goals too. Hopefully he will bring the we will outscore them type of thinking into the dressing room. Lord knows that would make most of us happy.

I am surprised some people aren't happy that we didn't appoint another big name manager. I don't know how good Ole is tactically but I think he fits the bill we in other aspects. He will definitely have a lot of respect from the players. He knows how united is supposed to play and he knows what the fans want to see.

flappyjay

Gaah I just imagined Ole walking into training and introducing himself to the team and I got a little flurry of excitement as I'm thinking it'll have felt like a massive breath of fresh air to them.
The likes of Pogba, Rashford, Andreas and Jessie must giddy with excitement. If I am not wrong he coached Pogba and Jessie.

flappyjay

Meulensteen would be the icing on the cake

rollingstoned1

That would be suicide!

I'm quite disappointed that instead of picking a former player with some promise, and giving him a platform to succeed they are using him to get fans off their back until they can get in a hipster manager in.

What would have been really brave is to give Ole a 2 year contract, so he gets a proper go next season and if he does well we can extend his contract.
That would have led to claims that the board is clueless and is taking a huge risk based on sentiment in hiring a former fan favorite who has only succeeded at lowly Molde and failed at Cardiff. In short people will complain either way.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
His Molde team finished second but also scored the most goals too. Hopefully he will bring the we will outscore them type of thinking into the dressing room. Lord knows that would make most of us happy.

I am surprised some people aren't happy that we didn't appoint another big name manager. I don't know how good Ole is tactically but I think he fits the bill we in other aspects. He will definitely have a lot of respect from the players. He knows how united is supposed to play and he knows what the fans want to see.
Another thing to take into consideration is that Rosenborg is the top dog like in few other leagues, 1990 - 2018 they have won the league 20 times and have vastly more resources and pulling power than Molde. Rosenborg is basically Real Madrid and Barcelona combined, so getting up there are trading pinches with them is not bad really

klsv

Let's not forget what Fergie said: "Your job now is not to call your new manager 'OGS' on forums, for Ole is also three letters and will save from capitalising those three, and not to mention, isn't cringy".

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The one thing I absolutely cannot wait to hear. Is the booming sound of “Who put the ball in the German’s net?” against Cardiff.

mav_9me

Jose sucked so much joy out of the club just to see a legend who gave us so many great moments take charge is enough to make things better
Bottomline for me.

I actually think results won't be great but that's OK for me. Getting some positivity back is enough.

Last edited:
I think he will do better than people expect.
I hope so, I expect him to get us to the Champions League Final...

Like any managerial appointment, there is a high degree of luck. Plenty of managers withess experience than him have been huge successes, whilst managers with impressive CVs have failed (we just had that with Jose).

We just need to wait and see - it certainly gives us something to look forward to over the Christmas period, it would have been bleak with Jose.