Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I didn't know that he was in charge of Cardiff across two season and over a summer window. Hopefully it was the circumstances rather than his ability that was the issue.

Rory 7

Obviously I really want Ole to do well and really hope he does. But...

.....I'm worried. I just think its a crazy time of year for any new manager to take charge. The back to back fixtures over xmas can produce mad results. I know we have 'easy' fixtures on paper but what if things go pear shaped for Ole on Saturday and boxing day. The pressure on him will be immense if he fails to win these early games and things could go south remarkably quickly. I'm just worried this honeymoon period could be over for him before it even begins. And things could get a lot worse for this squad very very quickly. As I say it just feels like a crazy time of year to expect a manager to hit the ground running.

izec

.....I'm worried. I just think its a crazy time of year for any new manager to take charge. The back to back fixtures over xmas can produce mad results. I know we have 'easy' fixtures on paper but what if things go pear shaped for Ole on Saturday and boxing day. The pressure on him will be immense if he fails to win these early games and things could go south remarkably quickly. I'm just worried this honeymoon period could be over for him before it even begins. And things could get a lot worse for this squad very very quickly. As I say it just feels like a crazy time of year to expect a manager to hit the ground running.
Relax, Jose hat to be sacked. I dont think we would be in a better position with Jose in charge. If the club sack him so early, things were really bad. Pressure is always there, i just hope the players step up for once and help him settle.

Woodzy

We were dropping points against all but the very worst teams anyway. I really don’t think that with the group of players we have it is possible to perform worse regardless of the manager.

Hopefully what Ole will add is a bit of a morale and confidence boost for the players so that we can start building for the future.

Worst realistic scenario is we will finish around mid table. Best is that we can sneak top 4. Either way the rest of the season is now all about making the right choice in the summer.

chicha14

any idea if he will on the touchline against Cardiff?
and will he take the pre-match presser?

Lastwolf

That would be suicide!

I'm quite disappointed that instead of picking a former player with some promise, and giving him a platform to succeed they are using him to get fans off their back until they can get in a hipster manager in.

What would have been really brave is to give Ole a 2 year contract, so he gets a proper go next season and if he does well we can extend his contract.
Might still happen, Ole has always wanted the job, but it might be beyond him for now. But I think we've made 3 very reactionary managerial appointments in a row. Moyes because SAF was retiring and everyone else turned it down or didn't understand they were being offered a job. LVG because Moyes was shit and he was doing well with Holland and had proven pedigree. Mourinho cause he was avialable and the best possible manager and we wanted to nab him before anyone else got him.

There are like 2/3 reasonable appointments out there, Jardim and Conte look like Mourinho 2.0 in the waiting, Conte for sure has a chip on his shoulder equal to Mourinho. Zidane is also free but afaik he doesn't even speak English.

Take the time to think and plan for once, get a Director of Football, ask him his opinon., he's the one that's gotta go get the players after all.

They are using Ole for sure, but if he does well, he puts his hat in the ring for the job fulltime and would raise his profile considerably, if he won an FA Cup or got top 4, he could be on the Premier league manager roundabout for the next 10 years.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I hope so, I expect him to get us to the Champions League Final...

Like any managerial appointment, there is a high degree of luck. Plenty of managers withess experience than him have been huge successes, whilst managers with impressive CVs have failed (we just had that with Jose).

We just need to wait and see - it certainly gives us something to look forward to over the Christmas period, it would have been bleak with Jose.
Such a high expectations

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's only temporary. Someone like Ole is exactly who we need to lift morale at the club. The atmosphere is toxic at the moment, Ole is ideal to change that: he's universally poplar and respected. Let's get behind him and see what he bring.
it's only ideal if he has something to back it up.

If we lost the next 5 games ole or no ole it'll be worse than now.

At the end of the day even Ole has to win some games.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That would be suicide!

I'm quite disappointed that instead of picking a former player with some promise, and giving him a platform to succeed they are using him to get fans off their back until they can get in a hipster manager in.

What would have been really brave is to give Ole a 2 year contract, so he gets a proper go next season and if he does well we can extend his contract.
That's not brave, that's stupid. If Solskjaer does well then there is a chance he will get permanent role. Board did well to appoint care taker and then taking their time to appoint full time manager. If Solskjaer does superbly then there is no point to appoint anyone.

Minimalist

For some reason Sky Sports News currently have breaking news of the potential compensation to make Ole permanent manager in the summer.

Bit misleading - almost suggesting he's going to get it. :lol:

yeti

For some reason Sky Sports News currently have breaking news of the potential compensation to make Ole permanent manager in the summer.

Bit misleading - almost suggesting he's going to get it. :lol:
talk sport were saying that the compensation has been agreed in the event they want him. it shows they haven't rules it out completely and are preparing for all possibilities. I was surprised - i suppose if he wins the CL and gets 4th it puts the pressure on to give him it permanently

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Anticipating some training pictures later. Should be fun
Any chance we'll maybe get a wee video as well? That would be amazing.

feck me, I've not been this excited by an appointment since Woody masterfully got us a tractor sponsorship.

Whatsername

feck me, I've not been this excited by an appointment since Woody masterfully got us a tractor sponsorship.
That day will take some beating.

Who knows if Ole will do us proud but I'm just of the mindset that any change at the moment is positive, for both the team and the supporters.

Relfy

Could go either way this. All I am hoping for is that he is more of a motivator as opposed to trying to instill overly complicated tactics on the players. Give the attacking players free reign to get forward, energize the team to get out on the front foot and push that belief on them to go out and express themselves. I think his main role is to boost morale with the players and lift the mood around the club. Results do matter, obviously, but I think this is more an exercise to get the team functioning again, and hopefully with all the negativity surrounding the club the mood will be lifted and we can start enjoying the football again.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

This is going to be the start of a new era under one of United most popular ever figures. Now that the obvious scapegoat of a out-dated, unpopular manager has been removed, some of our players with big expectations are going to need to step up:

Marty1968

It's a great appointment to get some belief back in the players. They've had 2 years of being broken down by Jose and called out in public. Some players have been terrible and certainly deserve a LOT of the criticism, but these guys will instill a belief and happier atmosphere which i'm hoping will make the majority play better.

Looking at our next 10 fixtures up to PSG, only Spurs away should prove any difficulty :nervous::nervous: so gives us a real opportunity to get some confidence around the club

rooneyberbatov

Already spreading positivity. He’s brought some gifts for Carrington’s staff today. He’s such a likable guy. Can’t post links but the receptionist, who’s been working at Carrington since 1967, received a piece of Norwegian chocolate from Ole this morning at his arrival.

wythyred

The feel good factor is definitely back!
This partnership makes me feel like I'm supporting united again.. I grew up watching Ole bang them in off the bench and it feels great to see him taking the reigns.

Nick7

I've a question for the Norwegians, how is the kj in Solskjaer pronounced? I know in Swedish (maybe?) it can be pronounced similar to sh. But is that the same for Norwegian/Solskjaer.

I wss watching a video of all his goals and every commentator pronounced it a different way and it's gotten me confused

Devil81

I'd love nothing more than Ole bringing the good times back to Manchester United. Whether he can or not is a different matter as there is a lot of work to do, this squad is poor in comparison to what he's been used to at United and even though I suspect he will lift moral I do feel he will struggle to find his best eleven.

One thing I hope he does more than most is lift the shackles of Mourinho and Van Gaal and lets our attackers play. If we get beat playing attractive football it's far better than losing or drawing playing dull football.

Revan

Assumptionman
I didn't know that he was in charge of Cardiff across two season and over a summer window. Hopefully it was the circumstances rather than his ability that was the issue.
I don't think that performances of a manager with a club like Cardiff have any correlation with how a manager would do with a big club. Klopp relegated Mainz for example, only to be a revelation for BVB.

Solskjaer won titles with Molde and won the league with United youth team. As relevant to how well he will do with us as his relegation (he was manager only after January) with Cardiff. He is a bit unknown, which in other circumstances would have been scaring, but with season already having gone to shit, it is exciting.

Said before, but if the plan was continuity, it was him nor Sir David who should have chosen as the manager to replace SAF the God.

ZupZup

I've a question for the Norwegians, how is the kj in Solskjaer pronounced? I know in Swedish (maybe?) it can be pronounced similar to sh. But is that the same for Norwegian/Solskjaer.

I wss watching a video of all his goals and every commentator pronounced it a different way and it's gotten me confused
This reminds of a time I got talking to a Norwegian girl in a bar in Gothenburg and she insisted that I was pronouncing his name incorrectly. Like, every bit of his name. Even 'Ole' was not being said correctly. Naturally I told her that she was actually wrong and how she thinks it is pronounced may have been the case once upon a time, but he is 100% Manc now :devil:

Bratt

-kj isn’t pronounced like sh, but -skj as solskjær has is actually pronounced pretty much as the english -sh sound.
The -kj sound would be closer to the -ch in the german word ich.

SirAF

Ageist

There is no hard k!

0:58 you can hear the name

Nick7

There is no hard k!

0:58 you can hear the name
That's perfect. I thought it was that but hearing English commentators say it 5 different ways over a half hour made me confused.

Speaking of, watching that video really reminded me of how fantastic his movement and awareness was. The amount of goals he scored even in his first season where he was alert to the keeper not holding onto the ball, or a shot hitting the bar is great. Our team just stand around in those situations.