Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Oaencha

You would have to be a cold, lifeless husk to watch that interview and not feel smiley and upbeat. Ole looks like a young kid on Christmas morning. He beams positivity and says absolutely everything you want to hear from a United manager. He may knock it out the park or he may fail but this is exactly what the club needs at the moment.

DBT85

When you say "the others", who do you mean? Solksjaer makes the most sense out of the bunch he came from if that's what you mean

• Keane - has a horrible record with man management. His tactics probably aren't bad, but he's not fit for modern management
  • Beckham - not a lot of managing experience
  • Cole/Yorke - no idea about either of them
  • Scholes - he's a fantastic pundit but he has no management experience.
  • Giggs - closest possibility to Solksjaer, but he's happy at Wales and doesn't have as wide experience.
  • Hughes - No thanks
  • Carrick - He's a good coach I'd say, but lacks the experience needed to make the jump up. Solksjaer is therefore a better fit
  • Who else could I be missing?
I suppose really I was just thinking of any Fergie acolytes that have or are managing as you and others have listed. I was convinced and dreading that they would "give it teh giggseh" so I'm happy with what they've done instead. Just wondering if something happened with Giggs, or the whole shagging his SIL played a part in him not being offered the job, or if Ole's success at Molde and general personality is the reason behind him getting it.

Either way I'm happy. All he has to do is not be a miserable dour boring unadventurous cnut and I'll feel better about us than I have for at least 6 months.

EDIt: I find it hilarious that this froum changes "the c word" to cnut, as if that is somehow better. Let it run free dammit.

EDIT2: Can't post any more today so I'll just edit this in.

Last edited:

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I suppose really I was just thinking of any Fergie acolytes that have or are managing as you and others have listed. I was convinced and dreading that they would "give it teh giggseh" so I'm happy with what they've done instead. Just wondering if something happened with Giggs, or the whole shagging his SIL played a part in him not being offered the job, or if Ole's success at Molde and general personality is the reason behind him getting it.

Either way I'm happy. All he has to do is not be a miserable dour boring unadventurous cnut and I'll feel better about us than I have for at least 6 months.
Me and you both. I long for the day when I'm not miserable when watching United. I think it's here.

deafepl

I do also have to wonder why they picked Ole and not any of the others for a short term role. Not that I wanted anyone else for it.
When you say "the others", who do you mean? Solksjaer makes the most sense out of the bunch he came from if that's what you mean

• Keane - has a horrible record with man management. His tactics probably aren't bad, but he's not fit for modern management
  • Beckham - not a lot of managing experience
  • Cole/Yorke - no idea about either of them
  • Scholes - he's a fantastic pundit but he has no management experience.
  • Giggs - closest possibility to Solksjaer, but he's happy at Wales and doesn't have as wide experience.
  • Hughes - No thanks
  • Carrick - He's a good coach I'd say, but lacks the experience needed to make the jump up. Solksjaer is therefore a better fit
  • Who else could I be missing?
Style of the play is also a factor in the United board's decision, there are plenty of former United player coaches like Hughes, Bruce, Paul Ince, who probably have a lot of experience in EPL, then Ole but their style of play is not pleasing, just defensive like Jose. Blanc and Ole are only coaches who play a nice brand of football, but in the end, they picked Ole. Blanc doesn't strike me as a type of coaches who will take an interim coach.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Im not an expert on Manc, but he sure sounds like a Mancunian. :D
I hadn't noticed before, but now you mention it there is definitely a hint of Manc in his accent.

Also, are we absolutely 100% positive that he is over the age of 18?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Oh Christ my heart nearly exploded when he said he's back home with a big smile on his face. Love how excited he is for it and seems to understand exactly why he's there.

Love that weird mix of northern and Norwegian accent.

Ban

I hadn't noticed before, but now you mention it there is definitely a hint of Manc in his accent.

Also, are we absolutely 100% positive that he is over the age of 18?
He looks older now. I mean, instead of 18 he looks 25. :D

As for Manc, he said one word which is typical for it, cant remember it, must watch it again.

Revaulx

I like lingard too, I think he brings balance to the team when played with like minded players

However a good portion of cafites think he’s the devil incarnate. 1 even said recently that he’s a league 1 player!
That’s quite mild. Someone else the other day said they “fecking hate” him :(

hobbers

What stands out is the number of goals capitalising on blocked shots or rebounds. We seem really bad at scrappy goals nowadays.
Think you can probably put that partly down to having a succession of managers with no interest or aptitude in instilling the art of 'taking a chance' and poaching. And partly due to having nobody capable of putting in a decent delivery, basically no right flank to speak of since Fergie.

Lukaku is obviously clueless and will never be able to anticipate rebounds, but besides that you can see that the players have very little belief that if they make a run into the box they'll see a worthwhile delivery.

L1nk

It's the fact he said we wanna play how we play and worry about that rather than worrying about the opposition and what they will do. Basically saying we are gonna go back to playing how we should be playing instead of the reactive nonsense Mourinho had us playing, that actually made me giddy inside, he gets it. Like 'actually' gets it, not 'Mourinho boils piss in an interview he TOTALLY gets it'

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I like lingard too, I think he brings balance to the team when played with like minded players

However a good portion of cafites think he’s the devil incarnate. 1 even said recently that he’s a league 1 player!
Lingard is not the problem, in a functional team/formation he will crank it up and be a nice link between midfield and attack. However I do think he's best suited for counter attacking games. In 'easy' possession based games I'd rather see Mata.

Denis79

What stands out is the number of goals capitalising on blocked shots or rebounds. We seem really bad at scrappy goals nowadays.
We hardly create rebounds. He had a great first touch though, very effective poacher.

Winrar

Glad to see some enthusiasm with solskjaer as that is much needed after mourinho’s constant dreary defeatist attitude that seemed to get worse with each passing day. I just hope his tactical nous can match his enthusiasm.

Barthez

If someone had said to me 3 weeks ago i’d be really looking forward to the Cardiff v Man Utd game i’ld had said they were bonkers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Watched the full 20 minute job and it was really refreshing. A manager who knows and loves the club, answering questions in a positive manner with that Manchester twang? The polar opposite of what had come to frustrate me under Mourinho.

Plus his clear understanding of the characters he should have in his backroom. Maybe something Moyes could have learned from.

I don't for a second think this points to an immediate change in our fortunes at all but I'd like to be surprised.

Shark

@NotShark
Watching that interview was almost a relief. Look, this short spell might not turn out how we’re all hoping, but it’s a such a breath of fresh air listening to a manager that you don’t have to dissect his words like a riddle. No hidden meanings, no sly digs. His love for the club is clear and he’s 100% on our side. No matter what happens, we will know that this man came here is a desperate time of need and gave his all. Ive no doubt that even during poor results, Old Trafford will be rocking again.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's best interview a manager has given since SAF retired. Just show how the other 3 didn't understand or get the club but Ole gets. Just loving all the positivity for once! Can not wait for the game on Saturday now.

Slaford RED

Like Ancelotti said:

Coaching is 30% tactics and 70% keeping the dressing room happy.

Mourinho destroys the team spirit by picking fights with everyone, that's why he can only last 3 years at a club before it turns toxic.

Ole and Phelan will bring the fun back, they have nothing to lose, Mourinho has already ruined the season.

I predict a massive up lift from the players but I don't see Pogba turning into a world beater all of a sudden, I don't think he's got it.

Lets destroy PSG and then go on and win that champions league !!

Might as well have the FA cup as well !!

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I wish he'd been more assertive in that interview. Mentioning that it's 'six months' and that he's going to 'enjoy the ride' is only going to give the players an excuse for uncommited performances. Especially when they've been making excuses already this season.

He's obviously a friendly guy. Gabbiadini (former player who was managed by Ole) said that he wasn't convinced that Solksjaer has the personality to manage superstars. I hope he's wrong, and I hope that Ole knows how to lay down the law when necessary. The nice guy schtick will only take him so far. We don't want him to be the management equivalent of a substitute teacher who lets you go on your phone during lessons.
What Gabbiadini is this? I don't see any ever playing for Ole.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Even if it goes not to plan, as long as he remains positive, tries his best and accepts he got it wrong sometimes I’ll be ok with that.

We know this squad won’t turn into title challengers over night, I just want to enjoy our games again! Lets attack attack attack and score some bloody goals

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Im not an expert on Manc, but he sure sounds like a Mancunian. :D
Yes, it's definitely there.

Most Norweigans (and Scandinavians in general) speak excellent English. Ole is no exception, and you can definitely hear in his voice just how much his time at United has influenced his accent.

DBT85

Originally in a 2016 edition of 442, but a nice interview regardless

Also reposting this as I posted it way back in an edit.

Silly 5 posts per day rule

Steven7290

Just watch the full interview on MUTV, which my subscription ends next month. I'm so glad to have forgotten about cancelling it the month before last :D