Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
For some reason Sky Sports News currently have breaking news of the potential compensation to make Ole permanent manager in the summer.

Bit misleading - almost suggesting he's going to get it. :lol:
1.8m loan fee and then 7.2m if he takes over

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Obviously I really want Ole to do well and really hope he does. But...

.....I'm worried. I just think its a crazy time of year for any new manager to take charge. The back to back fixtures over xmas can produce mad results. I know we have 'easy' fixtures on paper but what if things go pear shaped for Ole on Saturday and boxing day. The pressure on him will be immense if he fails to win these early games and things could go south remarkably quickly. I'm just worried this honeymoon period could be over for him before it even begins. And things could get a lot worse for this squad very very quickly. As I say it just feels like a crazy time of year to expect a manager to hit the ground running.
I dont think we will be pulling up trees but the acquisition of Phelan will certainly help him.While things werent as he(Shorts) left them before Moyes started making changes,there are still some of the structures in place he should be able to use you would imagine.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I've a question for the Norwegians, how is the kj in Solskjaer pronounced? I know in Swedish (maybe?) it can be pronounced similar to sh. But is that the same for Norwegian/Solskjaer.

I wss watching a video of all his goals and every commentator pronounced it a different way and it's gotten me confused
I'm not Norwegian but I remember watching him on tv while in Norway and it sounded like "Sol Shar Ray".

UncleBob

I've a question for the Norwegians, how is the kj in Solskjaer pronounced? I know in Swedish (maybe?) it can be pronounced similar to sh. But is that the same for Norwegian/Solskjaer.

I wss watching a video of all his goals and every commentator pronounced it a different way and it's gotten me confused
Sh

GlasgowRedz

I didn't know that he was in charge of Cardiff across two season and over a summer window. Hopefully it was the circumstances rather than his ability that was the issue.
I don't really remember the circumstances when he took over at Cardiff. I read something that suggested that the team he took over was set up to be very defensive and geared up to play long ball football.

According to this article he tried to change the way they played and it wasn't very successful and then he tried to change what he was doing and become a bit more defensive.

This left him inbetween two styles and it never really happened for him and he got sacked on the back of bad results.

We certainly have the players to play in the style that Ole seems to want to, whereas at Cardiff this wasn't the case at all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have reservations. I hope I am wrong.
So do I. Maybe I should be delighted but for some reason I cannot pinpoint I feel deflated.

I fully understand that Ole was a temporary appointment but I struggle to see that he was the best available.

I truly wish Ole the very best wishes. But I have nagging doubts.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
But what about the 8 million Sky are peddling and the doomsayers are giving out about?
Sky did a poll of the summer transfers a couple of months ago, asking who was the best signing. They listed the signings in order of transfer fee, from highest to lowest, and had Fred second, plucking a fee of something like £62 million from somewhere.

It only seems to happen with United, but Sky definitely have form for just making up numbers.

TrueRed79

Christ, i haven't looked forward to a Utd game in sooooo long like i have for Saturdays game. Please, please, please let Ole and the lads smash them.

Unitedssss

Hopefully Solskjaer and Phelan can restore United's identity as a top European club. If they can gift us a top four position that would be amazing!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I didn't know that he was in charge of Cardiff across two season and over a summer window. Hopefully it was the circumstances rather than his ability that was the issue.
Cardiff had spent a lot, extremely poorly in the summer between their promotion and the start of the Premier League season. The atmosphere in the club then turned toxic incredibly quickly, with McKay's dismissal and racism scandal, and widespread rumours of interference in footballing matters from the owners.

Solskjaer was brought in after the January window had opened, given no time to evaluate the squad, but then tasked with sorting the team out on a shoestring budget. Ultimately, they weren't good enough when they were promoted, didn't sign the necessary quality to improve enough before the season, then imploded somewhat mid-season, leaving whoever came in next with an almost impossible task.

After they were relegated, they lost a lot of players, and he basically had to rebuild the entire squad, but with a fraction of the transfer budget McKay had been afforded the summer before.

At the start of the next season, they won two of their first three games, drawing the other, but then went four games without a win, losing three and drawing one. Solskjaer was then sacked, just 7 games into a 46 game season. However, the three games he lost were to Norwich, who finished four points off the winners in third, and won the playoffs, Middlesbrough, who finished just a point behind Norwich, and Wolves, who missed out on the playoffs on goal difference, finishing level on points with both Brentford and Ipswich, who rounded out the other playoff teams behind Middlesbrough. All were strong sides, and they lost two of the games by a single goal. Later in the season, after he'd been sacked, they went on a run of thirteen games with only one win, losing six of them. They were just a poor side expecting far too much, far too quickly.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I’ll do Ban now ( :nervous: ) remind me in a few weeks and I’ll make a bigger Caf batch, within limits :lol:
Send me the one with the salty licorice! I won't be back in Norway until next autumn and I really miss smash and salty licorice:(