Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

haram

Very much doubt Ince would have played Lingard in the role Ole did yesterday. It is true that a lot of what Ole is doing is not necessarily tactical, even he has implied that, but he does 100% deserve respect for the first half yesterday, he got it spot on.

Deleted member 101472

I don’t think this is recency bias and I’ll try to be as objective as possible. Here’s what I want from the manager of Man Utd in the format of a question and answer session.

Q. Does he have a love for the club?
A. Yes. For me he is a club legend. His peak career coincided with the greatest manager of all times greatest moments. He bleeds united.

Q. Will the players respect him?
A. Yes, he’s been there and done it as a professional. The entire squad will respect him and there can be no sulking from players who aren’t picked because it’s solskjaer, arguably the most recognizable impact player from the bench in the history of the game. No-one can say the phrase “you have to be ready to take your chance when it comes” with more conviction than Ole.

Q. Does he get the best out of players on the pitch?
A. It sure looks that way. The level of talent he now has at his disposal far succeeds what he had at Cardiff and in Norway but in 6 games we’ve seen improvement from too many players for it to be coincidence. He’s playing to each individuals strengths and it’s working for the benefit of the team.

Q. Is he tactically sound?
A. Yes, as proved against Tottenham. I said it in the match thread the day before the game that spurs play very narrow and you need to get at them in the spaces vacated by the fullbacks, and Ole executed this to perfection. We absolutely battered them in that first half yesterday and it was down to Ole and his teams tactics. The celebration from the coaching staff after the goal was basically them saying “IT WORKED!”

Q. Can he attract big names
A. The jury is out on this one because we don’t know, but right now I don’t think big players would want to come just because of Ole (unless they are united fans). If he keeps the style up and achieves top 4, then players will be looking at him as an up and coming brilliant manager who very clearly gets along with players. We offer one of the biggest stages in the world to perform on, but whether or not Ole can be the reason players want to join remains to be seen.

There are other pre requisites but for me these are the main ones. The guy has 6 wins out of 6 and the best form in the premiership right now. Yes he had a great run of fixtures but every top team has had easier teams in recent weeks, so the 100% start should be heralded for what it is, a fecking miracle compared to where we come from.

I’ll wait and see how he responds to adversity before I give my final seal of approval but right now if I’m making the decisions in the summer, Solskjaer is the number 1 candidate.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Still feel it is too early to be discussing his permanent appointment but we do have a winnable run of fixtures again now.

If we finish in the top four he should one hundred percent get the job, didn't give us an iota of a chance when Mourinho was sacked.

mu4c_20le

There are other pre requisites but for me these are the main ones. The guy has 6 wins out of 6 and the best form in the premiership right now. Yes he had a great run of fixtures but every top team has had easier teams in recent weeks, so the 100% start should be heralded for what it is, a fecking miracle compared to where we come from.

I’ll wait and see how he responds to adversity before I give my final seal of approval but right now if I’m making the decisions in the summer, Solskjaer is the number 1 candidate.
Can he handle the pressures of managing one of the biggest clubs in the world? That's the only one left for me. And it will take time, like at least another full season, to decide. Can he handle the media being up his arse all the time? Can he handle the criticism when things dont go well, or when he inevitably makes a questionable decision and it doesn't work out ? If he can take all of that in stride, give it to him ffs. He is the United way.

lex talionis

Ole at least has bargained himself into the conversation, has he not? It's fair to say that the jury is still out, but surely Ole merits serious consideration at this point. But it's only mid January and no decision need be made for at least another two months.

Yet if we had to choose to between Pochettino and Solksjaer right now, it's now an easy decision.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don’t think anybody expected Ole to get 6/6.

we need a larger sample but the things he’s done in a short amount of time is remarkable.
If he can keep this trajectory up, why would we need to look elsewhere?

Acquire Me

For me, the whole manager scenario is very simple... If pochettinho becomes available then we take him. If ole continues to do a good job this year, then outside of Poch then it's gotta be something fecking special to take that place. The talk of Gareth Southgate is frightening and hilarious, although who knows with our board.. . Do you really think the fans would accept him like ole? That would be the most depressing appointment that I could actually see happening.

Zidane ...only if ole flops.
Simeone .. Only if ole flops
Rose .. Only if old flops.

Basically, ole can do as well as you like and I'd probably take poch. But if he isn't gonna be available and ole keeps performing like he is, then I wouldnt want to swap him for anyone else that's available.

This should be OGS job if Poch doesn't want it.
You did fecking great Ole, but hey, lets shake it up again and bring in a new manager.

Thats not how a good CEO works. Something tells me you are not a CEO. Atleast not a good one :p

Viral United

If we are going to give job to Ole then just give it, top 4 should not be requirement,
We were royally fecked when he got job, we should remember that.

starman

Hes winning and making United exciting again.

Hes also setting up the team how ive wished for ages, bar Sanchez, but in his absence hes used Lingard really well. Maybe he doesn't get the job at the end of the season, but would love to be able access the parallel universe where does and how the team would look after a few windows...

Flytan

Side note, it's obvious Ole would gladly take the job if offered, but any clue as to where Phelan stands on this? How important has he been etc./would he be willing to stay?

el3mel

Delusion.
The shackles are off, but that doesn't mean that Ole is the right man for the job. I could have gone in and done the same thing, so could Steve Bruce.
With all respect to Ince but this point is totally BS.

Ole isn't just good motivational wise, his tactics have been great so far and he looks very comfortable in the job.

Precaution

Same former players who say Moyes should of been given more time etc, its a bullshit move to be "different" thus garner some PR for themselves about a former club, Steve Bruce got sacked by Villa and Ince failed at Blackburn amongst others, so firstly its a mute point and secondly why would they even be given such a chance at United with all their track records? Ince didnt even give United 60% let alone 100% so to give Ole who bled his heart for United that bull is quite simply something else

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
I think he will keep doing well and get the job. This feels like more than just a new manager bounce.

Poch in the EPL is like Steve Bruce with Villa where they're always around the top but never top.

carlosp

If the club can get Pochettino that's who they'll settle for. If not then why not.
Then you might as well say the same about Zidane, might as well give Zidane the post since he has won more at the highest level than Poch and Ole.

I still say give the job to Ole now and get in a proper centre half or two with a new right back in this transfer window.

Personally, I would prefer Zidane over Poch to be honest.

wolvored

I don’t think this is recency bias and I’ll try to be as objective as possible. Here’s what I want from the manager of Man Utd in the format of a question and answer session.

Q. Does he have a love for the club?
A. Yes. For me he is a club legend. His peak career coincided with the greatest manager of all times greatest moments. He bleeds united.

Q. Will the players respect him?
A. Yes, he’s been there and done it as a professional. The entire squad will respect him and there can be no sulking from players who aren’t picked because it’s solskjaer, arguably the most recognizable impact player from the bench in the history of the game. No-one can say the phrase “you have to be ready to take your chance when it comes” with more conviction than Ole.

Q. Does he get the best out of players on the pitch?
A. It sure looks that way. The level of talent he now has at his disposal far succeeds what he had at Cardiff and in Norway but in 6 games we’ve seen improvement from too many players for it to be coincidence. He’s playing to each individuals strengths and it’s working for the benefit of the team.

Q. Is he tactically sound?
A. Yes, as proved against Tottenham. I said it in the match thread the day before the game that spurs play very narrow and you need to get at them in the spaces vacated by the fullbacks, and Ole executed this to perfection. We absolutely battered them in that first half yesterday and it was down to Ole and his teams tactics. The celebration from the coaching staff after the goal was basically them saying “IT WORKED!”

Q. Can he attract big names
A. The jury is out on this one because we don’t know, but right now I don’t think big players would want to come just because of Ole (unless they are united fans). If he keeps the style up and achieves top 4, then players will be looking at him as an up and coming brilliant manager who very clearly gets along with players. We offer one of the biggest stages in the world to perform on, but whether or not Ole can be the reason players want to join remains to be seen.

Spot on. Lets hope he succeeds and becomes the new manager. How much more satisfying one of our legends being manager, than poaching soeone elses coach with no affinity to the club before he joins. Ole, if he could be only half of a third as successful as Fergie would also stay long term. Would a coach with no prior affinity stay if say Madrid came a-calling in a few years time?

carlosp

Tottenham haven't had a midweek break since November and we still lost yesterday asides from De Gea.
They've only had two more games than us and both were Carabao cup games. Not a huge train smash. We didn't lose yesterday. United is the only team to have won since Christmas day(Boxing Day). Spurs lost to Wolves during that time, and now to us.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Paul Ince as a manager
P238 W98 D54 L86 Win% 41

OGD as a manager
P279 W150 D49 L80 Win% 54

.... and thats allowing for the disaster Ole had at Cardiff, where his 30% win rate is the only managerial job he's held where he achieved less than a 50% win rate.

But yeah, I'm sure Ince could do the same job :houllier:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Our next 4 league encounters are as follows:

Brighton (H)

Burnley (H)

Leicester (A)

Fulham (A)

4 very winnable games that could, with a few favourable results elsewhere, see us break into the top four which no one thought possible only a few short weeks ago when you know who was steering the ship.

The incredible job Ole has done since taking over cannot be understated. He has completely and utterly transformed the club from one that was spiralling towards the relegation zone to one that is in with a genuine shout of CL qualification.

I don't know if Ole will get the job on a full-time basis but his performance thus far, in absolutely every aspect of football management, must have Ed and the board deeply considering it.

It happened for Real with Zidane, it happened for Barca with Pep, why the hell can't it happen for United with Ole?

RedCurry

Delusion.
He doesn’t realize that coming out with controversial statements just to win some pundit points is exactly something Ole wouldn’t do.

OGS was minding his own business while he was away from the club, learning football management without being entitled. He has always been a man who brought smile to everyone’s face around him by always being a positive person. Even as a player I remember him as someone who was loved unanimously. “Bringing a smile” to faces of the players isn’t something you show up and demand for.

ManuMou

Our next 4 league encounters are as follows:

Brighton (H)

Burnley (H)

Leicester (A)

Fulham (A)

4 very winnable games that could, with a few favourable results elsewhere, see us break into the top four which no one thought possible only a few short weeks ago when you know who was steering the ship.

The incredible job Ole has done since taking over cannot be understated. He has completely and utterly transformed the club from one that was spiralling towards the relegation zone to one that is in with a genuine shout of CL qualification.

I don't know if Ole will get the job on a full-time basis but his performance thus far, in absolutely every aspect of football management, must have Ed and the board deeply considering it.

It happened for Real with Zidane, it happened for Barca with Pep, why the hell can't it happen for United with Ole?
Let's beat arsenal in the FA cup and make it 10/10 or 11/11 !! OGS is born for united

crossy1686

career ending
Ince trying to remind everyone that he’s still a manager looking for a job. That says it all really. Expecting Bruce to come out this week and say “no we couldn’t”.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Unfair to Ole that people require top 4 and/or CL win to get the job.
How many points were we behind when he took over?
He needs teams above us on the table to lose to keep the job, even games he can't affect, how fair is that?

I think he's doing well, he won me over so far, but i want to see if he can keep it up.
If we look this good, the players and staff are this happy, after 4-5 months, feck it, let's give it to him.