Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Canagel

Get the feeling from the recent games that we've been focusing less on pressing and possession, and more on counterattacking. Anyone know whether that's Oleball emerging, or mainly due to the opposition as well as players tiring?
We have been pressing. Just that big teams keep the ball better than smaller teams so it's less noticeable. But against Arsenal we was pressing their keeper and defenders with 3/4 players sometimes . And if we fail to get ball we sit in compact shape with wide players coming infield ready to counter attack.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feel like if he doesnt get the job, the next manager is going to have a really hard time winning the players over because its pretty obvious they all want him to stay. So then you'd have a group of players who wishes they had the previous manager in and looking at the new guy from a negative view point instead of a fresh start.

Canagel

Feel like if he doesnt get the job, the next manager is going to have a really hard time winning the players over because its pretty obvious they all want him to stay. So then you'd have a group of players who wishes they had the previous manager in and looking at the new guy from a negative view point instead of a fresh start.
At this point pochettino is bigger risk than OGS.
OGS stays and flops next season worst case scenario (highly unlikely) you still have same option as now.
Poch arrives and flops will be much harder to replace and probably won't get OGS again.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Man Utd’s biggest worry should be whether it’s just a new manager bounce, look at Emery and his 22 game unbeaten streak but now they are a shambles. I think people are jumping to conclusions way too fast
Yeah, I think we need to wait a little bit more yet.

redmanx

Yeah, I think we need to wait a little bit more yet.
Yes, lets wait, maybe Pocchetino will be our manager if we ask him nicely, or why not offer the earth to Pep? Theres always Klopp of course, or maybe Zidane could be persuaded to take us on. Ole wants the job, he knows what the club and its supporters expect from a Manchester United manager; I was as surprised as anybody when they gave it to Ole, even on a temporary basis, but he has already proved that he has what it takes to manage United, lets not waste more time in a manager who will only do as Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho did and try to rebuild the club to their principles and vision, Ole wants to return United to the principles we had when he was a player and coach here, that's his vision, and its the right vision for Manchester United.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Delighted for him and for sure it feels like classic United BUT it is still way to early full judgement can only be made at the end of the season that is when a full decision can be made but as of right now he is making a case for it. Would be amazing to have OGS take the reigns at united for decades to come just as SAF is but only time will tell. He did a phenomenal job at Molde and I don't count his stint at Cardiff because from the get it was a horrible move going to that club in the state they were in.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed.

Solskjær knows the deal, he’s got 6 months and then we will decide.

If he keeps up this sort of momentum all the way to the summer then he deserves it.

We will lose on the way but we have to see how the team reacts. right now though he’s given me everything I’d ever wanted from a united manager.

Attacking football while getting good results, keeping the players happy and using youth where possible. Some of the goals we’ve scored like martial @ Cardiff and Sanchez @ arsenal have been beautiful.

Tactically has shown more than I expected also. Whether that’s because he’s flexible enough to listen to his coaches ideas, perhaps.

Everybody is happy, I’d love to see what ideas he would have in the summer for transfers.

supermao

You don't think he'd be gone regardless? He wasn't sacked by the Liverpool defeat alone.
Uniteds YT channel posted a video of all OGS goals on 13/10 so I suspect they at least knew then, if not for Gary's rant it would probably have happened sooner.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Dominating possession against Arsenal away and Spurs away is very difficult. Only City and Chelsea have done it.

Arsenal vs ManCity - 42% vs 58%
Arsenal vs Liverpool - 62% vs 38%
Arsenal vs Spurs - 59% vs 41%
Arsenal vs Chelsea 36% vs 64% (Chelsea were trailing from 14th min, so maybe the reason)

Spurs vs Liverpool - 60% vs 40%
Spurs Vs ManCity - 48% vs 52%
Spurs vs Chelsea - 40% vs 60% (Chelsea were trailing from 8th min)

So apart form City, only Chelsea had more possession at Arsenal and Spurs away, both times they were 2-0 down by 20-25 mins.
Fair point, well made. I was also thinking of Brighton where we had 56% possession, which was quite a bit lower than against Cardiff, Huddersfield and Bournemouth, but we didn't play too well that game so maybe was a bit of a blip.

We have very clearly worked on pressing.

It's actually been quite nice to watch. Let the back 4 have it and press lightly, as soon as someone gets into trouble EVERYONE steps up like a shot and limits the options further forcing a long ball or turnover.
We have been pressing. Just that big teams keep the ball better than smaller teams so it's less noticeable. But against Arsenal we was pressing their keeper and defenders with 3/4 players sometimes . And if we fail to get ball we sit in compact shape with wide players coming infield ready to counter attack.
Think our pressing has a been a bit more restrained as compared to the first couple of games, where it was fairly rabid. Probably a good thing to conserve the players' energy. Although what triggered my question was also Ole recently talking more about "classic" Man Utd counterattacking rather than winning the ball back as he had done earlier. But yeah I get that it was probably just down to the opposition :)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Found this on YT :)

Its interesting that every time they score Ole will make it a point to seek out and celebrate with the coaching staff -- as a team. Managing the players as well as with his coaching staff. I am not sure if other managers do this as consistently?

deafepl

How similar is his current situation compared to when Di Matteo took over as interim manager of Chelsea?

Chelsea has won 3 out of first 6 games league under Di Matteo, scored 9 goals, 3 goals difference +. Ole has won 6 league games in a row, scoring 17 goals, 13+ goals difference.

schalke 04 fans don't like Di Matteo's style of play when managing there in 2014-15.

Miscemayl

I will honestly be disappointed if we appoint Poch at this point. We have waited 6 years to find a manager who plays in our style, who understands the history and traditions of the club but who is not afraid of the magnitude of it all. Someone who we as fans can identity with and get behind. Sure, there will be bumps and bruises along the way but as long as we have someone who holds on to the United ideals we will be just fine.
Same. No one guarantees success and Ole is as close as the dream candidate as we'll get.

The only other person that meets all the requirements above and guarantee success is SAF.

If we do replace Ole, the new guy really needs to hit ground running and I don't think many will come in and win the first 8. Why risk it?

In Rainbows

Chelsea has won 3 out of first 6 games league under Di Matteo, scored 9 goals, 3 goals difference +. Ole has won 6 league games in a row, scoring 17 goals, 13+ goals difference.

schalke 04 fans don't like Di Matteo's style of play when managing there in 2014-15.
When AVB was sacked, Chelsea were in 5th. When the season finished under Di Matteo, they ended up in 6th. Chelsea were in 8th place point wise from the time Di Matteo was hired and when the season ended.

Not only that. One look at how they fared in the CL tells the story. He parked the bus against Barca. Chelsea went through because Messi missed a penalty. In the CL final against Bayern, Robben missed a pen in extra time. They then went to a penalty shootout where they won. So Di Matteo relied on 2 players to miss a penalty, and then won a penalty shootout. That's why they've been deemed the worst side to win a CL. Not that it should matter to a Chelsea fan. Winning is winning. It does matter when assessing Di Matteo's managerial chops.

Ole has so far been far better than Di Matteo.

Fair point, well made. I was also thinking of Brighton where we had 56% possession, which was quite a bit lower than against Cardiff, Huddersfield and Bournemouth, but we didn't play too well that game so maybe was a bit of a blip.

Think our pressing has a been a bit more restrained as compared to the first couple of games, where it was fairly rabid. Probably a good thing to conserve the players' energy. Although what triggered my question was also Ole recently talking more about "classic" Man Utd counterattacking rather than winning the ball back as he had done earlier. But yeah I get that it was probably just down to the opposition :)
It's definitely something to keep an eye on. Our pressing was at its best in the initial match, but that could have been down to McKenna. We'll just have to wait and see to get a better representation of Ole's side.

Lemansky

Although Ole has been great, we shouldn't underestimate the contribution of Mike Phelan. His work behind the scenes has been immense!

https://reddevilarmada.com/2019/01/...ng-hero-after-the-departure-of-jose-mourinho/

I love Mike Phelan and he has played a role under OGS. Scholes was in the Norwegian TV2 studio the other day and he kind of underplayed the role of Phelan compared to what you read on here and elsewhere.

He said Phelan was a great guy to have around but he did not have a lot to do with tactics and training. He gave him a lot of credit for man management though as he would talk to players and help them if something was not right. He always has a smile on his face and a joke to share. Phelan sounds like one of the nicest persons you could meet and this will no doubt have a positive effect on the players.

DBT85

How similar is his current situation compared to when Di Matteo took over as interim manager of Chelsea?
His form was shit apart feom in the CL and FA cup. He won both. Then the new season started and they were doing fine. Hit a sticky patch with loses to us and juve and a couple of others.

He then got sacked in November while Chelsea were 3rd,4 points off City in 1st and hosting them in 4 days.

Theyd already beaten spurs and arsenal away, lost to us away and had a couple of poor results in the CL.

Di matteo should never have been sacked at that stage.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I cant see him going back to Molds either way. If we don't take him on I'm sure another club will take a punt on him.

Jeffthered

It's sensational what he is doing.. but we have to wait. Chelsea went 18 games unbeaten.. Arsenal won 11 in a row, and went 22 games unbeaten. So let's just see how it all goes.

But I do get the impression he is acutely aware of all that is going on around him, and he is thinking ahead....

POF

I love Mike Phelan and he has played a role under OGS. Scholes was in the Norwegian TV2 studio the other day and he kind of underplayed the role of Phelan compared to what you read on here and elsewhere.

He said Phelan was a great guy to have around but he did not have a lot to do with tactics and training. He gave him a lot of credit for man management though as he would talk to players and help them if something was not right. He always has a smile on his face and a joke to share. Phelan sounds like one of the nicest persons you could meet and this will no doubt have a positive effect on the players.
Solskjaer is showing so much humility in all of his interviews and giving so much credit to the rest of the coaching staff that people seem determined to downplay his achievements and lay the credit elsewhere.

Ole is the manager, he calls the shots. Even if Phelan was the tactical genius (which I doubt), Ole still deserves all of the credit for 1) appointing him; and 2) using those tactics on game day. It's his reputation on the line and his one and only chance to manage United. That is huge pressure that 3 really experienced managers before him couldn't handle.

The job he is doing is incredible - full stop. No buts. You can see why the club saw him as a potential future manager many years ago.

crossy1686

career ending
Too bad you can't see his smug smile at the end, it was cut, he was so proud of himself.
Don’t know why they have him on. He was practically laughed off for his opinion. Also, it was hard listening to him speak, it wasn’t like English was his second or third language, kept using words in the wrong context. No wonder he can’t get a job.

crossy1686

career ending
Starting to think Solskjaer is a Fergie master stroke again.

Fergie obviously keeps track on all his former players and how they’re doing. He’ll know how Solskjaer plays at Molde and what he’s like as a character.

We couldn’t appoint Solskjaer full time right after sacking Mourinho because he’s ‘unproven’ and Pochettino was fans favourite at the time.

However, negotiating a £8m release clause for Solskjaer to be our permenant manager means someone had the foresight to think he could do well, not 8/8 well but well enough to get the job permenantly.

Fergie has effectively built another squad via the back room staff. The mans a genuis and a legend.

Jeffthered

Don’t know why they have him on. He was practically laughed off for his opinion. Also, it was hard listening to him speak, it wasn’t like English was his second or third language, kept using words in the wrong context. No wonder he can’t get a job.
He cannot speak v well at all, this I will agree... ha ha... it's rather embarrassing actually, and i never understand why pundits do not take basic presentation training.

Chresta

Solskjaer is showing so much humility in all of his interviews and giving so much credit to the rest of the coaching staff that people seem determined to downplay his achievements and lay the credit elsewhere.

Ole is the manager, he calls the shots. Even if Phelan was the tactical genius (which I doubt), Ole still deserves all of the credit for 1) appointing him; and 2) using those tactics on game day. It's his reputation on the line and his one and only chance to manage United. That is huge pressure that 3 really experienced managers before him couldn't handle.

The job he is doing is incredible - full stop. No buts. You can see why the club saw him as a potential future manager many years ago.
Brilliant post... I'm actually beginning to get irritated by the way people seem to be determined to give everyone the credit but him!

Pass and Move

Theres always Klopp of course, or maybe Zidane could be persuaded to take us on. Ole wants the job, he knows what the club and its supporters expect from a Manchester United manager; I was as surprised as anybody when they gave it to Ole, even on a temporary basis, but he has already proved that he has what it takes to manage United, lets not waste more time in a manager who will only do as Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho did and try to rebuild the club to their principles and vision, Ole wants to return United to the principles we had when he was a player and coach here, that's his vision, and its the right vision for Manchester United.
That sentence is longer than our winning streak.

Revaulx

His form was shit apart feom in the CL and FA cup. He won both. Then the new season started and they were doing fine. Hit a sticky patch with loses to us and juve and a couple of others.

He then got sacked in November while Chelsea were 3rd,4 points off City in 1st and hosting them in 4 days.

Theyd already beaten spurs and arsenal away, lost to us away and had a couple of poor results in the CL.

Di matteo should never have been sacked at that stage.
This is a very good point, and something that concerns me about Ole. Or rather, about those responsible for hiring and firing.

If Ole gets made permanent and then hits a sticky patch, I can see Ed and the Board convincing themselves that he wasn't really their choice, that they were bounced into appointing him on a wave of populist emotion, and consequently not giving him the same backing that they would do with a manager in whom they had a greater stake.

I'm pretty certain Di Matteo isn't the only ex-interim to have been unceremoniously dumped at the first hint of trouble, regardless of the circumstances.

hocane

Difference between Di Matteo and OGS is Di Matteo is a much more defensive coach.

Just look at how the won cl, they literally parked the bus. I can't see OGS ever doing that. Completely different coaches.