Ole hasn't lost the players

Water Melon

Until we start going on a roll of successive wins, I'm not sold yet. Call it the cynicism that goes with history, but we have seen a similar comeback against Newcastle delaying the inevitable on Mourinho's fate.
We have some players that won't lower their guns no matter what, players such as Cristiano, Bruno, Rashford, McTominay they don't strike me as the type of players that would stop fighting.

But make no mistake, we won tonight despite Ole not thanks to him. This type of results are really exciting but only show the level that we could reach with proper coaching.

The talent in the squad is unbelievable, how many teams have the quality on the bench to sub players such as Pogba, Cavani and Sancho? Let alone three.
It's a CL group game. Even if Ole has lost the players, they would still like to stay in the competition, in case another manager comes in. Like the Lampard Tuchel transition
All of the above. Let's see what we do against the scousers, a game in which we face opposition of much higher quality. If they score 2 first, there is no chance in hell we will be able to come back. It will be a demolition.

croadyman

Do you recall us being 2-0 down to Newcastle and coming back to win 3-2 under Mourinho? A few weeks later he was sacked.

The team spirit is still there. Tactically we're a mess and will continue to be, and even if the players like Ole I don't think they trust he knows what he's doing.
Yeah it was almost a carbon copy of that game and think that the thought of playing in that second rate euro competition drove them on to respond in the second half, feel like the players enjoy playing for him but also don't trust his tactics and game management most of the time.

Andersonson

Last night we played some very good stuff, that 2nd half was very very good. Atleact attacking wise.

The players showed spirit and togetherness, something we haven't showed in a long time.

FatTails

Manchester United who outspend almost every club in the world won a game.

The fact that that warrants a thread says it all.

Snuffkin

Noone ever said he had lost the players, it's always been his decision making which has been called into question.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
as proved by tonight.

At least they still seem to be supporting the manager, unlike a lot of no-name internetters on here.
I think they just didn't want to be dumped out of the Champions League.

Caesar2290

We'll see if Ole lost the players in the next 2-3 games.

Friendly reminder that Jose in his meltdown season had an exact result around this time when United where 2-0 down at half time, only for us to completely outplay Newcastle in the 2nd half and win it 3-2. At the time it was also viewed that he hasn't lost the players, but ironically the Liverpool game is where the wheels fell off. We'll see if that's the case this time as well.

Here's a quick reminder of that game:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The most annoying thing with us under ole is there’s no structure or organisation, the players are all over the place… there was a time when lindelof ran pretty much upfront with the ball at his feet, and you wonder why we’re always cut open and hit on the break because all our players are out of position. You don’t see city or Liverpool defenders running up the pitch with the ball as they don’t need to because there good enough in midfield and attack. The highest the defence should go is halve way line and thats When your dominating a game and pinning the opposition back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We'll see if Ole lost the players in the next 2-3 games.

Friendly reminder that Jose in his meltdown season had an exact result around this time when United where 2-0 down at half time, only for us to completely outplay Newcastle in the 2nd half and win it 3-2. At the time it was also viewed that he hasn't lost the players, but ironically the Liverpool game is where the wheels fell off. We'll see if that's the case this time as well.

Here's a quick reminder of that game:
That game was highlighted by the performances of Martial and Pogba, 2 players Mourinho really ended up disliking very much so yeah I agree with you, we need to see games and specifically against tough opposition

dove

Players always want to win, they don’t want to play in the EL. They very well know our manager is useless so they have to do it on their own. It won’t take us very far though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He hasn't lost the players which I said that day as well. But he isn't good enough either. I forsee a slow and painful end to Ole's tenure. It'd be nice if it ended with a trophy thought LVG style.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Noone ever said he had lost the players, it's always been his decision making which has been called into question.
The game vs Leichester very much looke like he had lost the players imo, because that was truly some casual, pedestrian shite. Barely bothering to run both on and off the ball, not commiting in duels, no desire to go for 50/50's etc

Depsite the result, we were really not that bad in 1st half yesterday, but 2nd half we looked like a completely different team than we did vs Leichester

The thing is, we need to show that kind of commitment and desire in every game and not just here and there.

EdinburghDevil

I've never thought he has lost the players. I just think it looks like it's reached the end of the road for Ole.

I think he has done a good job, but to kick on and capatalise on the foundations Ole has laid, I feel like we need now need a manager to compete with Liverpool, City and Chelsea now we have the players to compete with them.

Widow

I think the fans gave the playethe push last night. One game doesn't prove anything.

We'll see over the next two month just how much the lads can deliver for Ole.

Ole called it post game. The players are playing for the shirt.

alexthelion

Here's one of the furthermost top reds. Comes out after weeks of shite performances to defend the honour of top reds worldwide
Better that than being a complete cnut, like a lot seem to have turned into on this forum.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Do you recall us being 2-0 down to Newcastle and coming back to win 3-2 under Mourinho? A few weeks later he was sacked.

The team spirit is still there. Tactically we're a mess and will continue to be, and even if the players like Ole I don't think they trust he knows what he's doing.
Was that not the players just deciding to ho out and attack Newcastle? Pretty sure it was a Pogba led defiance of Jose defensive gameplan.

shahzy

Better that than being a complete cnut, like a lot seem to have turned into on this forum.
Mate do you really believe people with standards in a professional setting are 'complete cnuts'?

No job worth having comes with minimum standards that need to be met. Reminding top reds that Ole is not meeting them is not being a 'complete cnut'. It's called the real world. It's not all nice guy and rainbows out there

lawliet354

Eerily similar with that Newcastle match, even the last goal is similar. A few weeks later got battered by Liverpool and Mourinho's gone, this time Liverpool match is coming a bit earlier :nervous:

432JuanMata

I’m delighted with the comeback and the 2nd half but this season we have been poor more than not. We won against Wolves getting outplayed same as Villarreal. We needed David DeGea to save a penalty in 95 min to beat West Ham.
We lost to West Ham, Villa, Young Boys and Leicester. The grinding wins would be all good as it shows champions mentality but that is when you don’t play well and grind a win but it seems too be our level most games.

I wouldn’t mind the odd bad performance that results in a loss and the odd one where we play poor and scrape the win if we played well or won a few matches comfortably.

Sviken

Was that not the players just deciding to ho out and attack Newcastle? Pretty sure it was a Pogba led defiance of Jose defensive gameplan.
Pogba played great against Atalanta and in the loss against Leicester he pretty much called Ole incompetent in a round-a-bout manner. It's true - players will always try to win, even when the manager is a detriment.

bonothom

as proved by tonight.

At least they still seem to be supporting the manager, unlike a lot of no-name internetters on here.
I would suggest the opinions of fans depends on whether you want to win trophies or just carry on with being massively inconsistent. The comeback against Atalanta kinda reminded me of the Newcastle match under Mourinho. A lot of euphoria after that match as well and we just limped on for another month until Mourinho was put out of his misery. This might be different but one things for sure, even if Liverpool beat United Oles job is safe. I think they can even lose to City as well and he'll be fine. As long as 4th place is achievable. This club isn't bothered about winning the big trophies anymore

lex talionis

The jury is still out on whether Ole has lost the players. He’s either of instructed them with tactics that they refuse to execute, which suggests mutiny; or he just rolls the ball out into pitch and tells “the boys” to have at it, knowing they’re not going to listen him no matter what.

Either, there’s a problem with squad management and coaching that warrants our concern.

Bondi77

I don't get this Ole has 'lost the players' narrative. The one big positive Ole has brought to the club has been man management and making the players happy again after a miserable time under Jose. A lot of players have praised him on his man management so this has never been an issue.

Rather, the issue has been the tactics which in my opinion Ole falls short on massively and ultimately will probably be his downfall. The players can be super motivated, but against the top sides, a team with no clear strategy will fall short.

I really like Ole, and you have to commend him for steadying the ship and getting us back on the right path. However, I think taking us to a league title and beyond is definitely a step too far for him. Saying this, I've always believed his deficiencies shouldn't overshadow the good things he's done at United, just more of eye opener of what it takes to win as a manager.
If you are hoping for threads on this board to make sense you will be kept busy trying to find any.

stw2022

Here's one of the furthermost top reds. Comes out after weeks of shite performances to defend the honour of top reds worldwide
Doubtful. Probably one of these glory hunters who have forgiven the fan base for calling for Atkinson to be sacked. Anyone who does anything but sing for 90 mins for the return of Big Ron is a short sighted plastic. Or something

GazTheLegend

:lol:

If we get spanked Sunday, do we go back to Old having lost the players again?
Unironically yes. Redcafe and the internet fans remember the last result (or last 2 results) at most. Even beating city away three or four times gets lost in the mists of time if you lose unluckily with a weakened team in (for instance) the carabao cup and then your next league loss makes things a crisis.

... Until you win two games and it's all forgiven. As long as we beat Liverpool on Sunday, nobody will remember our patchy and awful form.

Ixion

After losing the first leg 0-2 in the knock-out stages we won the 2nd leg 3-0. Huge ovation for Moyes, players playing for him etc etc. Sacked a month later.

Mourinho 0-2 down at OT, come back to win 3-2, hasn't lost the players, crowd supporting Jose yada yada. Sacked 2 months later.

Manchester United are going to win games. Players don't just stop trying because of the manager. He didn't lose them at Leicester and suddenly win them back, and he won't lose or win them on Sunday.

stw2022

At top level managers make a difference at the margins. Even without one we should be winning more games than we lose

Zen86

After losing the first leg 0-2 in the knock-out stages we won the 2nd leg 3-0. Huge ovation for Moyes, players playing for him etc etc. Sacked a month later.

Mourinho 0-2 down at OT, come back to win 3-2, hasn't lost the players, crowd supporting Jose yada yada. Sacked 2 months later.

Manchester United are going to win games. Players don't just stop trying because of the manager. He didn't lose them at Leicester and suddenly win them back, and he won't lose or win them on Sunday.
It was quite obvious that neither Moyes or Mourinho had the support of the players, certainly at the end. The players aren’t necessarily going to stop trying, they’re professionals at the end of the day, but when you lose the dressing room it’s usually game over.

Statue of Limitations

As fantastic as it was to come back from 2 down to take a crucial win, I have to say that Atalanta were absolutely dire in the second half.

We were in it, and probably would have won anyway, but from the kick off in the second half, they looked like they were ready to be beat. They were weak, like pool were when Atletico went at them, and we could have scored 5.

I hope Ole never loses the players as that would mean we are correcting our recent slump and on the way to achieving the massive potential that this squad has.

We have world class players, some excellent young players getting better and better playing alongside old heads, so really would never want the dressing room lost to disrupt what could yet blossom into an amazing moment for us.

stw2022

The manager’s been under pressure for a while; criticism of how we play, how we start and we had a first half like that

Foxbatt

He hasn't lost the players and he is not going to either. Well apart from DVB.

stw2022

Playing well on occasion is the best way to determine a manager has the confidence of his players

iHicksy

I feel like under ole we only perform when our backs are to the wall or we have a big game against rivals. We've done pretty well against the likes of City etc under Ole but i'm not sure that's any kind of endorsement and we shouldn't need a high adrenaline situation to be at our best.
Truely great managers get their teams to play like that week in week out, it's the Brightons and Leicester's that you need to be destroying week in week out. What we are right now, and have been for a long time now is perennial game raisers. It's almost as if we need a high pressure situation in order to get the fire needed to win games.

RUCK4444

Playing well on occasion is the best way to determine a manager has the confidence of his players
The same way losing on occasion doesn't prove anything the other way then? Except it does (here anyway.)

We lose, its on the manager. We have a great result showing unity and attacking intent, its individual brilliance.

The Ole outers like to have it both ways, it's beyond even trying to argue otherwise at this point. :lol: