Votes: 3,004 87.8%
  • No - Give him more time

Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Ask any matchgoer. I remember hearing it for the first time at Bournemouth away in a 12:45 kick off (where we won 2-1, Rashford getting the winner) and then at City away later that season where I think we lost 3-1 - the whole away end was singing it in the last 20 or so minutes. I'm not sure if anyone here was there that day but I'm sure they will be able to corroborate if so.
It was Jose's song originally. Iirc it only made a comeback recently because we got Sancho and he replaced Sanchez in the chant.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Wait, what does this mean? Don't tell me Tom Cato is Norwegian? I should have fecking known. Been down this road before where foreigners militantly defend players and managers of the same nationality on here.
Is there really any need for that? Singling out a posters nationality & using it against them? Come on now, less of that.

Kaizane

You know whats funny to me, how fans can't tell that the media is intentionally trying to keep the fanbase insecure.

Hate to be the good old days guy, but somethings are constant regardless of the era.

I remember when the threat of City was finally materialising, the papers were questioning our players and our manager. Chelsea had won it the year before if I remember correctly and Arsenal were pushing us.

Every paper was hinting at the end of an era, us fans was NOT having it, I go to Upton Park we are down 2-0 to two dubious penalties. Rooney comes back scores a hatrick Chicharito bangs one more. After the game learn about Rooney swearing at the camera, papers criticising SAF saying he creates an Us vs Them mentality which causes his players to respond negatively. We didn't give a care in the world.

As a club (Supporters, Players, Manager) we were impenetrable. The media could never shake us, we wasn't so insecure. Shakey moments in a season, no longer champions, the threats of other teams we still had fortitude - which transmitted to the team imo,I recognise now this is well and truly dead.

Kills me to say it before Klopp won anything for Liverpool and kept failing in europa etc. I remember the same fortitude in Liverpool fans. I remember trying to rattle them saying "you can't press for 90ms you'll get injuries and lose finals etc", trying to wind em up. They refused to be rattled and just stuck with the course. They would get smacked up 4-0 in europe by sweedish nobodies and they wouldn't shake.

The media always had a soft spot for Liverpool, and it seems that because they used to never be able to penetrate us as a club. Now they've sunk their teeth into our fanbase they are never letting go. I see the insecurity in certain "fans" and what they don't understand is the fear defeats you before the result does.

These players/coaching staff/journos etc spend more time online with us than in stadiums nowadays, if every "fan" was a little more cautious with what they wrote it would go a long way.

It's funny I could argue that when United had a frosty relationship with press (SAF refusing to do interviews ETC) I can make an argument that was when we was most succesful.

Now I see United so called Fan channels guest appear on SkySports selling a reactionary fanbase to advertisers its all patethic.
Agree with this but it comes with the territory of being one of, if not the most supported club in the world. Couple that with the new generation of fans who have no reason to be secure, it makes the journos jobs that bit easier. We only have to really worry when they stop writing about us, to be honest.

red4ever 79

All those fans singing Ole at the wheel last night. Imagine every time we play and lose, this will become standard. We are being mocked. Everyone can see he is not qualified to take us where we need to go. Fans, players, media. Everyone accept our board

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All those fans singing Ole at the wheel last night. Imagine every time we play and lose, this will become standard. We are being mocked. Everyone can see he is not qualified to take us where we need to go. Fans, players, media. Everyone accept our board
Ffs will people get a grip? This is what football fans do, they mock each other. We've done it to others and they're doing it to us. There's plenty of reasons to sack Ole, but the fact that we are being "mocked" by a song is not one of those. This place is really falling apart. I think people need to take some time off.

SuperiorXI

I refuse to believe that the board can't see it. I'm living in a fantasy world maybe but I believe they just haven't got the right replacement lined up and don't want a caretaker in charge until there is no option left (i.e. out of the CL mathematically)

red4ever 79

Ffs will people get a grip? This is what football fans do, they mock each other. We've done it to others and they're doing it to us. There's plenty of reasons to sack Ole, but the fact that we are being "mocked" by a song is not one of those. This place is really falling apart. I think people need to take some time off.
Name another situation like this when all clubs are universally faking the piss out of one person. I can't recall. Imagine Sat when Kane scores.

RUCK4444

Yeah fans mocking other fans shouldn’t shock anybody ffs.

The fact fans are singing about us when we aren’t even playing is a good thing, we’re Manchester United, living in their heads rent free since forever, permanently scared we will get our act together.

I look at them mocking us and I lap it up, absorb it, because our time will come and when it does I will be the single most annoying, smug, cnutish United fan in history, the type I now wish I had been throughout our PL domination! :devil: :D

Ixion

You're getting sacked in the morning

Also 70k fans calling Wenger a pedophile is probably worse than some fans singing Ole's at the wheel

King7Eric

Name another situation like this when all clubs are universally faking the piss out of one person. I can't recall. Imagine Sat when Kane scores.
How does it matter? If we lose he'll be gone and they'll stop singing. If he somehow manages to turn it around then our fans will get their own back. Getting worked up over a chant is just weird. You need to relax mate.

laughtersassassin

That's football mate.

The entire footballing world took the piss out of Slippy G.

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard, He slipped on his f*cking arse, He gave it to Demba Ba, Steve Gerrard Gerrard

It comes with the territory.

Xaviboy

I was hoping he would walk even though the news broke he will remain in charge. Just a hope would see Breaking News that he has stepped down from his role and left the club. Surely must be feeling the heat and pressure. Whole world apart from glazers know he isn't up to the job. Just matter of time now. Bad result Saturday and even more pressure going in to the Atalanta game.

MasterCode

Agree with this but it comes with the territory of being one of, if not the most supported club in the world. Couple that with the new generation of fans who have no reason to be secure, it makes the journos jobs that bit easier. We only have to really worry when they stop writing about us, to be honest.
You're right - but they will never stop writing tbh, we're to big. We drive too much engagement for them to ever stop caring.

What gets me is how Liverpool fans were so resilient when they had much more failure than we did. Thats the nut I can't crack cause they are also a huge club. Is it just because they've always been media darlings?

The modern fan confidence is very true about them not experiencing United. I use this analogy if you've ever seen the 2008 film "Wanted" with James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie.

Angelina Jolie is like the media and James McAvoy is the modern fan. Man Utd is James dad trying to get his son back but his sons trying to kill him based on lies.

Press has managed to trick fans into going against their own interests for a number of years now. They make Man Utd seem like some conspiratorial inadequate entity which is trying to rob them of something.

I recognised the same trick which caused people to fight over Toilet Rolls and Petrol has been done to our fans. What I can't seem to understand is how Liverpool fans avoided it while they're club was failing.

Fans have been so media indoctrined you try and have one on ones with them with real convos. They scream "you're accepting mediocrity!" "let fans support the way they want". To the latter I respond, does that include abuse? They say "no no not abuse" then how do we stop it from reaching there? They look back at me puzzled, TalkSport has captured their minds.

Even media narratives like The United Way is this "old thing" that will never work again forget your model it will never happen again, you can never dominate "just try and win a trophy". Funny thing is thats what the spanish press did with Barca, giving room for Bartomeu to come and pretend he was making Barca a "modern club". They're F'd now.

No club is perfect they all have their issues. Fans fail to educate themselves on a club they say they support. They don't even care about what made it successful.

I had a debate with a guy saying I don't think Conte is a good fit cultrally for what we are trying to set up, Conte working with and reporting into Fletcher "doesn't look like a picture of success to me, if we do fire Ole wait and tap up Potter, I feel that could work."
The mans response was fire Fletcher sign Conte we need to be ruthless "why was Fletcher doing kick ups with the team anyway." In my head I was thinking some fans have learned nothing from Moyes. If we hire another manager and allow him to come and move the furniture around we are screwed for another decade.

I'm not Ole in or Ole out, I've said this multiple times pre Liverpool but people try and box you in for their understanding. I recognise the club need to do better but thats the entirety. Owners, Backroom staff and Coaches, Manager, Players and equally importantly the fans they need to learn how to be more secure.

I just can't figure out how Liverpool fans remained secure.

Kaizane

You're right - but they will never stop writing tbh, we're to big. We drive too much engagement for them to ever stop caring.

I just can't figure out how Liverpool fans remained secure.
Pre FSG, they were resigned to mediocrity so they didn't have to be, they just accepted they were average.

The media since then has exploded and headlines are written in such an omniscient manner nowadays, the majority of people will accept what they're being fed. For example, "fans are saying this, fans are saying that", when really, it's a handful of nobody's discussing every last detail of some irrelevant topic, written by "journos" born at the turn of the century, working an internship. It's perpetuated by the sheer volume of low quality journalism, who's biggest sources are twitter posts and Facebook comments, from their own bullshit articles they posted about a few minutes prior, no less.

Back then, there was none of this. Add United's huge fan base, this is the result. You raise a good point, but it's just the way it works these days, unfortunately. The good news is it all works in cycles so when the likes of Liverpool begin their descent again into mediocrity, they'll be new generation of fickle fans ready to lap up any bad word said about them.

Chairman Steve

Does anybody think he will get the sack if we lose against Tottenham?
I think the crucial moment was if he was being sacked on Tuesday morning as has been historically done with Moyes and Jose. Solskjaer wasnt sacked but I believe this is delaying the inevitable and biding time for the new guy.

I think he’s taking all three games of Spurs, Atalanta and City then getting ejected instantly after that, for the new guy to come in and have two weeks to prepare… I don’t think the new guy would like being thrown into such games at short notice with a tightish turnaround of games. New guys potential first game would be Watford, which is less daunting than having City as your first game at short notice, or even an away European tie.

And regardless if Solskjaer wins all three of those games, he still goes. The players will probably be motivated knowing a new guy is coming in.

King7Eric

I think the crucial moment was if he was being sacked on Tuesday morning as has been historically done with Moyes and Jose. Solskjaer wasnt sacked but I believe this is delaying the inevitable and biding time for the new guy.

I think he’s taking all three games of Spurs, Atalanta and City then getting ejected instantly after that, for the new guy to come in and have two weeks to prepare… I don’t think the new guy would like being thrown into such games at short notice with a tightish turnaround of games. New guys potential first game would be Watford, which is less daunting than having City as your first game at short notice, or even an away European tie.

And regardless if Solskjaer wins all three of those games, he still goes. The players will probably be motivated knowing a new guy is coming in.
I doubt he'll be sacked if he wins the next 3 games, but yeah losing even one will see him gone. Also, it's an international break so any new guy won't have the vast majority of the squad available to work with anyway.

As you say the moment to sack him had been Tuesday morning before everyone returned to training. But he survived that, and maybe it'll go down as one of those moments in history if he somehow manages to turn things around. It's extremely unlikely but I'm an optimist at heart and until he actually gets the sack I'll keep hoping he can keep winning. Let's see how it pans out.

Real Name

Are you new into this football thing?
As others have said happens literally all the time.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
giggs is the most logical choice. it would allow a team of giggs and murtough which would open up a world of lucrative film deals.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Are you new into this football thing?
As others have said happens literally all the time.
And most of the time it is actually pretty funny. Can't fathom everyone getting their knickers in a twist about the 'Ole's at the wheel' song. If the shoe were on someone elses foot, we'd be doing exactly the same.

HarryP

We are currently in a situation that gives us the worst of all worlds.

If we give Ole the next 3 games and he loses to Spurs and City, the league becomes a complete write off (and top 4 becomes a serious challenge).

If he manages to achieve reasonable results in those games, we are most likely stuck with him for several weeks/months longer and the season becomes death by a thousand cuts.

What a horrible predicament the board has put this club in again. We all knew Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho were done at United long before the trigger was pulled and they were finally relieved of their duties. It's incredibly disheartening that the board seems incapable of learning. We need ruthless decisiveness but we're getting sentimental pussy-footing.

Real Name

And most of the time it is actually pretty funny. Can't fathom everyone getting their knickers in a twist about the 'Ole's at the wheel' song. If the shoe were on someone elses foot, we'd be doing exactly the same.
Absolutely. They're loving it, the rival fans, and unfortunately they have about 100 things to laugh at us about. Hopefully soon the roles will be reversed again.

Chairman Steve

I would love to see how many oppo fans have signed up here in the past few days to vote on the poll in this thread. That ‘stay’ option is ridiculously increasing daily.

Have usernames like ‘OleWheelMaster’, ‘Solskjaerforever’ or ‘99OGSlover’ suddenly registered this week? :lol:

Ixion

Im sure the club is frantically making calls at this point to try and find a replacement manager. I doubt 3 wins out of 3 would save him now given the disgruntlement in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.