• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
@justsomebloke your thoughts now?

As a Norwegian (not a supporter of Molde), I follow the Norwegian Eliteserien quite a lot. I think these stats from Ole's time at Molde is quite interesting compared to his successor, Erling Moe.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ole-gunnar-solskjaer/stationen/trainer/7286/plus/1
https://www.transfermarkt.com/erling-moe/stationen/trainer/41529/plus/1

You guys can see the stats yourself, but the short summary is that Molde now is winning more games and scoring more goals with Moe as a manager than Ole.

Ole had a big standing in Molde, but the supporters there often wanted to see him sacked a few times over the years due to underperforming. Molde has maybe the biggest budget and over the years maybe the best overall squad in Norwegian football, but Ole never impressed as a manager there. The time at Molde was quite similar to his time at United actually: No one was impressed by his tactics and ability to make a team progress in terms of playstyle, but he won a decent amount of games due to a decent counterattack and individual performances from his star players.

This Norwegian article from 2019 says the following: "In Molde people have been wanting Ole to be sacked for three years, in Manchester they are so happy because he's their new head coach".

https://www.aftenposten.no/sport/fo...aar-om-at-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-maa-faa-sparke

The time at Cardiff is a chapter that everyone knows of, so the short story is that Ole never had the CV or background to take on a job like this. I know he his the "United-DNA" and you could compare him to Zidane who did excellent at Real Madrid without a large manager background, but Zidane showed that he can win trophies.

Ole has now gone 3 years without winning anything, but he has to be given credit for getting rid of a lot of deadwood in the squad and making harmony again after the years with Mourinho.
Thank you for your insight into Ole's standing at Molde from a Norwegian pov.

I have been saying that Ole's time at Molde was not anything special, and that we should have seen this coming, but i was rebuked for being 'not Norwegian'.

Molde are a club in the 22nd ranked league by UEFA Coefficiants. Next to Greek, Israel, Sweden, Bulgaria & Romania leagues.

What's interesting is that Molde actually never missed him, and had instant success after he left both times.

When Ole first left for Cardiff, 2013 season he finished 6th on 44 points (did win Norwegian Cup). The next season, Tor Ole Skullerud won them their first ever double (League + Norwegian Cup), setting a new league points record with 71 points, finishing 11 points ahead of Rosenborg. He lost 3 out of 30 matches, winning 22.

When Ole left for us in 2018, the 2018 season he finished 2nd on 58 points. In Erling Moe's first full season in 2019, he too also won the league with 68 points, undefeated at home, 14 points ahead of 2nd. He lost 4 out of 30, winning 21.

In Ole's previous 4 years, he failed to win the league or Norwegian Cup once (6th 52 pts/5th 45 pts/2nd 54 pts/2nd 58 pts).

He did have some success in his return at Molde. In his first season back in 2016, he finished top of his Europa League group ahead of Fenerbahce, Celtic & Ajax.

Bearing in mind Molde have rich owners and are considered somewhat a cheque book team in Norway. His stint there, especially the 2nd asks questions considering after that he came to us.

One consistent theme in his managerial history has been his side shipping a lot of goals. Over his entire reign with Molde, the side conceded 296 goals over 241 games. At Cardiff, 57 were let in over the 30 matches in charge.

When you're aware of his history, what we're seeing should come as no surprise to anyone. They foresee a lot of the deficiencies that have been ever present throughout his time here. It's likely why he's always been so safety first overall here.
Skullerud & Moe both breaking records immediately after him is surprising to see. Was it a surprise to Norwegians too, or was it expected?

One stat that stuck out to me was how many goals his Molde side conceded under him. 296 over 241 matches. Is that normal for the big teams in Norway? That lack of stability is identical to us under him too.

ShinjiNinja26

I would love to see how many oppo fans have signed up here in the past few days to vote on the poll in this thread. That ‘stay’ option is ridiculously increasing daily.

Have usernames like ‘OleWheelMaster’, ‘Solskjaerforever’ or ‘99OGSlover’ suddenly registered this week? :lol:
That’s why the old newbie system was good, stopped all that shite filtering through to the main forums.

Flytan

Would you put your house on that? Because it wouldn't surprise me if they're waiting for all of this to blow over.
Yup. I think that's why they've leaked this Poch nonsense (could you imagine the wrath of PSG if we tried to poach him lmao). We have no chance to steal him from PSG (I don't even want to). So the plan is: Hey look guys we can't get the guy we want so we're gonna pretend to be functional and stick by our dude

HailtotheKing

Would you put your house on that? Because it wouldn't surprise me if they're waiting for all of this to blow over.
Agree. The only thing that won’t stop this blowing over is squad disharmony and fans. If we drew with Spurs, beat Atalanta and drew with City, I could see them sticking with Ole and a calling it progress.
Scary.

Gazza

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/sport/article/manchester-united-liverpool-2021

Andy Mitten's latest.

Nothing much of interest but he does finish with the classic go-to comparison to Fergie when he took over:

Maybe it will all lead to a change in manager. Maybe not. It doesn’t look good for Ole right now and, having been in the manager’s position at the club nearly three years and spent a lot of money, it’s on him more than ever, just as it was on Sir Alex Ferguson three years into his reign. That came on 6 November 1989. United were 13th in the table after three years of Fergie. We launched United We Stand that month and it went on sale vs Chelsea, a 0-0 draw. I remember being excited at the prospect of United moving up to sixth with a win. But United didn’t win and results then went as follows: DLLLDLDDLLD. There were FA Cup wins at Forest and Hereford, but United went eleven league games without victory, dropping to 17th before a win at Millwall. Fergie was in a mess but he got out of it, eventually. If Ole can get out of this mess, it’ll be the greatest thing he’s done in his long association with Manchester United.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So the plan is: Hey look guys we can't get the guy we want so we're gonna pretend to be functional and stick by our dude
Yeah, but there are at least a couple of guys out there who are - actually - free and available.

And most United fans (the bizarre Poch fan club isn't that big - vocal on here, yes, but not that big in general) would want either of those managers rather than Poch.

Yakuza_devils

It seems that Ole is safe for now. All the leak to the major press is reporting that he will be given more games to turn thing around. Unbelievable. We have 87.7% fans voted Ole out but Ed, Arnold, Murtough are unfortunately in the 13% alongside mostly the opposition fans.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Not going to though when there’s a pumping from City on the horizon next week and a seriously precarious position in the CL group is just 1 loss away.

MoskvaRed

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Flytan

Using that Fergie comparison in an article or even in a post on here is basically akin to adding a disclaimer in highlighted bold text saying “do not take anything I write seriously”.
Half of our fanbase actually compares him to SAF though.

Devil’s Trident

I don’t think they are gonna sack him. They are looking for every angle possible, every excuse in the book and beyond to justify to keep him in charge. Not a single person I can think of at manutd board level who feels angry about the pool result and his incompetence in general. I see posters saying Sir Alex isn’t gonna be happy and won’t tolerate humiliation like this. I see it completely opposite and I could see him defending Ole to the hilt more than people can imagine.

I don’t believe they are looking for options to appoint anyone at all. I think the board, directors, the entire hierarchy is waiting for this storm to calm down and are looking to continue with him. I never felt so angry and disheartened to date even after all the shit times post Fergie. I wish I could be numb but I feel totally helpless and hopeless right now like living under an authoritarian exploitative regime who treat you like a piece of shit. This club means too much to me and my only hope right now is either the players kicking up a fuss or the fans at the games not tolerating anymore of this.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/sport/article/manchester-united-liverpool-2021

Andy Mitten's latest.

Nothing much of interest but he does finish with the classic go-to comparison to Fergie when he took over:
Honestly,

Is there anything worse than holier than thou Red's that always harp back to the past?. Why is it every time a manager under performs we get reminded about how Fergie got given more time.

Not every damn manager is Ferguson ffs. If he somehow does the unthinkable, wins the next 10 games in a row and gets us back challenging for the title - then maybe i'll reconsider.

Yakuza_devils

While we are at it lets appoint Norwich City Manager - Daniel Farke and give him 3 years to rebuild. Be patient with him. He needs more time to implement his style of play. He needs more coaches. See the problem?

And Daniel Farke is actually better manager than Ole.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Half of our fanbase actually compares him to SAF though.
Nah - nowhere close.

Those who actually, genuinely believe he's SAF Mk. 2 are in an extreme minority.

Even those who hope that he could become something close to SAF Mk. 2 are in an obvious minority.

The majority of posters on here that someone like yourself would - probably - class as "Ole in" are more likely to be posters who refuse to shout "Ole out! (and feck the consequences)" rather than posters who have any genuine belief that Ole will win major trophies for United.

lilcurt

Really hope the club aren't actively briefing that Ole won't be sacked and they still view him as the long-term option.

We were meant to challenge for the league in April (Oles own words) and we are out of it in a battle for fourth in October.

Where oh where is the ambition?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I would love to see how many oppo fans have signed up here in the past few days to vote on the poll in this thread. That ‘stay’ option is ridiculously increasing daily.

Have usernames like ‘OleWheelMaster’, ‘Solskjaerforever’ or ‘99OGSlover’ suddenly registered this week? :lol:
OleWheelMaster :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Does anybody think he will get the sack if we lose against Tottenham?
If it’s a battering again then 100% yes, if we lose 1-0 by a penalty then definitely not. If we did sack him I don’t think we’d have a replacement in time for Atalanta midweek.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I understand why certain fans like Andy Mitten, but I've never been a fan. Always writes a lot of words and that contain nothing of substance. He's a good PR man for Ole though

bondsname

If Ole avoids getting the sack then surely something must be done about the coaching staff? Get someone competent in. After all his idol Sir Alex frequently brought in coaches, shouldn’t he be inspired to do so aswell?

Phelan doesn’t do much, McKenna is an academy coach, Carrick seems like a smart guy but he has literally no experience. Fletcher is training with the team but also a director of football or something? For feck sake get a real assistant manager in that knows what he is doing.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm still astounded by how relaxed some are about him getting sacked eventually. He's still here after the darkest day some of us have ever experienced as a United fan. That alone makes me utterly terrified at the prospect of the man being given another chance.

FatTails

Looks like the club are just waiting for the Liverpool game to blow over
It seems like we’ve identified the one and only manager we want, Pochettino. Weird plan considering Poch will win the league with PSG and he’s top of his group in the UCL, so not sure what we are expecting to happen here.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
God!!! I'm so sick of Sky Sports parading ex-players out to defend Ole. Saha saying there's been momentum and the Chelsea defeat was a bad moment is simply ignorant of the atrocious recover over the past SIX WEEKS with only two win over seven matches.

Why would people disrespect the fans and themselves with such stupid statements in defense of a coaching/management staff that has no damn clue?!

All this public relations crap is really starting to piss me off

Judas

Open to offers
I'm still astounded by how relaxed some are about him getting sacked eventually. He's still here after the darkest day some of us have ever experienced as a United fan. That alone makes me utterly terrified at the prospect of the man being given another chance.
Because what's the point of pissing blood over it at this point? We know what this club is about. Managers have been overstaying their welcome since Moyes. Certainly not going to rage on here right now, maybe after Saturdays results or if I was going to the game.

He's a dead man walking, nothing will save him now because he's not capable of being saved.

Shark

@NotShark
Because what's the point of pissing blood over it at this point?

He's a dead man walking, nothing will save him now because he's not capable of being saved.
Yet he's capable of surviving Sunday. Do you reckon any of our previous three managers would be still here after that? Ole has surrounded himself with his mates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.