Ole says this season will be used to find next season’s squad

NK86

No, I'm saying that winning and challenging for trophies shouldn't be a prerequisite to be able to enjoy watching football.
That's what neutrals are for. As fans, how can anyone say that winning should not be a prerequisite to enjoying "watching" a game where 22 strangers kick a ball about. It's all about the passion and that's why fans are there. Else why even have an atmosphere at the matches.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Two managers who won us silverware, I'd say it worked, yes.
Sorry to say this but it’s such a deluded answer to even think those two managers worked out well for us. Why did they get fired then if it worked? Why is our squad still behind city & Liverpool if it worked? It took LVG 2 summer transfer window to won 1 FA Cup, may be you should give Ole the same time as well to win silverware.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Imagine applying this sort of logic to any other profession

"So the last qualified guy we hired didn't actually work out, so I decided instead to hire someone completely unqualified instead! Oh and he's actually doing an even worse job than the qualified guy did, but I'm not going to sack him in favour of trying with someone qualified again, because obviously if it didn't work last time it won't next time, right?"
No. That’s not what I meant.

The two previous managers chose to do quick fix which is why they failed with us and why our squad are behind Liverpool & city. While Ole chose to do rebuilding the squad by improving and developing players which something that the previous managers with big CV couldn’t do. However, under Ole, players have shown sign of improvement & progress. If players are improving and developing, it will benefit the team as well especially the next 2-4 years. Not sure how did you get into conclusion that we are doing worse right now, you don’t compare a result of managers with 2 full season to the result of manager who is still in mid season.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Excellent, so if last year was used to decide the squad for this year we'll be looking at finishing, what, somewhere around 15th, 16th?

I love Ole, I'd love him to be successful, but let's be realistic here and put things into context - we just got beaten 2-0 by fecking Watford! A team, who until they played us, had won 1 game and scored 9 goals in 17.
Watford scored due to a goalkeeping error and a penalty. I only saw the last 20 minutes, and in that time Greenwood, Rashford and Maguire had golden opportunities to score, along with Lingards in the first half. Liverpool have had some very poor games this season (and that's from a Liverpool supporter) yet they just seem to take that one opportunity when it comes along, something we're not managing at the moment.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes. We hired good managers and it didn't work. So let's give bad managers s chance.
Let’s rephrase that sentence so you can understand. We hired managers who chose to do quick fix and it didn’t work. So we give to a manager who can rebuild the squad by improving & developing players, so far players have shown sign of improvement under Ole which some that our previous managers couldn’t do and chose to waste our money to buy deadwood.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We are in rebuilding process. And it does take time. But we've got a manager who isn't good enough so it's definitely not happening under him no matter how much excuses Ole serves the fans to buy himself more chances.
The point of our rebuilding process is improving & developing players. There are sign of improvement under players and the manager right now is focusing on developing our young players. How do you know if he’s not good enough and is definitely not happening if the manager hasn’t even been given enough time when clearly the process does take time? When it’s called “it does take time” it doesn’t mean 6 months or 1 year.

Eriku

That's what neutrals are for. As fans, how can anyone say that winning should not be a prerequisite to enjoying "watching" a game where 22 strangers kick a ball about. It's all about the passion and that's why fans are there. Else why even have an atmosphere at the matches.
So fans of Crystal Palace, Burnley, West Ham, Cardiff and whatever are neutrals? All fans are miserable except for a tiny fraction?

always_hoping

I see he said after today's game that this season isn't only about transition as we have plenty to play for. 4th spot in the league still up for grabs and in 3 Cups tournaments with the opportunity to win a trophy.

Sounds a bit more encouraging hmm..

Halftrack

That's the second time you've overlooked the 'trophy' part to argue against something I haven't said. Granted, my last post can be read in two ways, but I'm talking about winning trophies, not games.

Hamza Aouir

I'm currently on the fence on if we should sack or keep him but this quote doesn't help his case we are Manchester United we don't settle for anything less than winning the title year in year out, yes its impossible now but we need to be focusing on getting top 4 to attract big players,
Halland, Sancho and the likes won't come to united if we are not guaranteed Champions league next season... on this rate we are not even guaranteed Europa League,

hungrywing

I see he said after today's game that this season isn't only about transition as we have plenty to play for. 4th spot in the league still up for grabs and in 3 Cups tournaments with the opportunity to win a trophy.

Sounds a bit more encouraging hmm..
Never really believed the pessimistic slant on the 'this season will be used to...' thing. It seemed taken out of context.

Win League Cup, get fourth place, win FA Cup, win Europa. Three trophies and fourth (maybe fifth). Ole out.

sweetmgd

Lingard - 1 year no goal and assist in English Premier League -> extend his contract

Mata - 8 months no goal and assist in English Premier League -> gave him 2+1 contract

And Ole still insist 4231 is our main formation. Okay, i really can't wait how Ole can rebuild our team and bring us back to glory with his tactic and players.

NK86

So fans of Crystal Palace, Burnley, West Ham, Cardiff and whatever are neutrals? All fans are miserable except for a tiny fraction?
These fans are watching a game without any hope of their team winning? They are there just to watch the game, have some beer and just enjoy their team getting thrashed?

NK86

That's the second time you've overlooked the 'trophy' part to argue against something I haven't said. Granted, my last post can be read in two ways, but I'm talking about winning trophies, not games.
Still makes no sense. You win games hoping to win trophies and not sit watching games with an amused look even when your team is losing.

I mean don't you ever shout out when your team concedes or someone misses an easy chance? All these things wouldn't happen if you didn't bother about winning and simply enjoyed watching the game.

lysglimt

Scout
Lingard - 1 year no goal and assist in English Premier League -> extend his contract

Mata - 8 months no goal and assist in English Premier League -> gave him 2+1 contract

And Ole still insist 4231 is our main formation. Okay, i really can't wait how Ole can rebuild our team and bring us back to glory with his tactic and players.
You do understand we need 11 players on the pitch ? We got rid of a bunch of players in the summer and we will get rid of 2-3 more in the next 6 months (at least Matic, Rojo and Young. Quite sure even Jones)

You get rid of some players and replace them with better players, then you get rid of some more and replace them. I am convinced Mata is still here because he is still useful and he is good for the squad in terms of being a positive influence, not because OGS thinks he is good enough to win the title with. Within 18 months he will be gone as well - so will Lingard be unless he improves.

Extending someones contract doesn't always mean that the manager believes that player is good enough long-term- occationally it also has to do with protecting your investment. This is football - if the manager decides to get rid of a player, he can simply tell him to get a new club. As most players want to play football, they will leave, even if they can't be forced away.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Those things didnt even happen in that order so, well done, I have read one post by you and it was crap. Have a contract extension.

sweetmgd

You do understand we need 11 players on the pitch ? We got rid of a bunch of players in the summer and we will get rid of 2-3 more in the next 6 months (at least Matic, Rojo and Young. Quite sure even Jones)

You get rid of some players and replace them with better players, then you get rid of some more and replace them. I am convinced Mata is still here because he is still useful and he is good for the squad in terms of being a positive influence, not because OGS thinks he is good enough to win the title with. Within 18 months he will be gone as well - so will Lingard be unless he improves.

Extending someones contract doesn't always mean that the manager believes that player is good enough long-term- occationally it also has to do with protecting your investment. This is football - if the manager decides to get rid of a player, he can simply tell him to get a new club. As most players want to play football, they will leave, even if they can't be forced away.
Extending someones contract doesn't always mean long-term and protecting your investment? Then how come when we signed Maguire and have 7 defenders in the summer, we are not able to sell Rojo and Jones? So you think extending Lingard's contract with higher wage is to protect investment? And when we buy players to replace him, you are able to sell him with that wage?

You have to understand when we say 11 players on the pitch, it doesn't mean we just put anyone to play without considering their quality. Attacking players with 8 months -1 year don't have any goal and assist, and you think this is our investment. So everytime when we can't sell them, we extend their contract until they retire, just like what Ole did to Jones last season? Then when we are out of CL, and cut off our sponsorship, which investment should be more considerate?

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Extending someones contract doesn't always mean long-term and protecting your investment? Then how come when we have 7 defenders in the summer, it is hard to sell Rojo and Jones over these years, and we nearly don't use Jones this season by just paying his wages? So you think extending Lingard's contract with higher wage is to protect investment? And when we buy players, you are able to sell him with that wage?

You have to understand when we say 11 players on the pitch, it doesn't mean we just put anyone to play without considering their quality. Attacking players with 8 months -1 year don't have any goal and assist, and you think this is our investment. So everytime when we can't sell them, we extend their contract until they retire, just like what Ole did to Jones last season?
We extended Lingard’s contract in 2017, that was before Ole came in.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Pretty sure this is just a warning to players he feels lack the correct mindset and who are not giving it all.

Our main problems are not lack of quality or tactics, its mentality. Its a reason why we always look up for it in the big games and then look like a bunch of amateurs vs presumed lesser teams. You could say its partly on Ole to instill that winning mindset, but some people simply can not be changed.

He knows very well what players has the talent to play here and not. Hes not blind. The question is if they are commited enough

Champagne Football

Why that XI is weaker than what we fielded against Newcastle except with Pogba in for Pereira’s spot?
Nonsense. Phillips will be in the England team soon. Deep-lying creative/defensive midfielder. Exactly what we need. McGinn is not much better box to box than Scott, but is considerably more creative than Scott McT.
Maddison is an assist machine - exactly what we need.
Haaland hopefully a consistent goal machine upfront.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nonsense. Phillips will be in the England team soon. Deep-lying creative/defensive midfielder. Exactly what we need. McGinn is not much better box to box than Scott, but is considerably more creative than Scott McT.
Maddison is an assist machine - exactly what we need.
Haaland hopefully a consistent goal machine upfront.
Soon but right now he is not, he’s yet to reach that level. Fred would look world class in championship. Beside, Phillips is a die hard Leeds fan who called us scums, don’t see him joining us.

McGinn doesn’t even play deep in midfield 2. Ironically he plays more advanced in midfield 3 with Aston Villa and played as a no 10 role in 4231 with Scotland.

A bit exaggerated to call Maddison an assist machine, he’s yet to reach that level. This season he only had 3 assists and he’s on free kick duty as well, you would have expect higher number than just 3 assists. TAA & De Bruyne are what you call assists machine and one of them is a full back.

Being goal machine means nothing if your hold up play is not good. He’s yet to reach the level of what you expected from him.

All of those players will not be upgrade to our starting XI. I have no doubt some of them might have great potential to be top players but their current level is still below players like Fred, Pogba & Martial.

b82REZ

Soon but right now he is not, he’s yet to reach that level. Fred would look world class in championship. Beside, Phillips is a die hard Leeds fan who called us scums, don’t see him joining us.

McGinn doesn’t even play deep in midfield 2. Ironically he plays more advanced in midfield 3 with Aston Villa and played as a no 10 role in 4231 with Scotland.

A bit exaggerated to call Maddison an assist machine, he’s yet to reach that level. This season he only had 3 assists and he’s on free kick duty as well, you would have expect higher number than just 3 assists. TAA & De Bruyne are what you call assists machine and one of them is a full back.

Being goal machine means nothing if your hold up play is not good. He’s yet to reach the level of what you expected from him.

All of those players will not be upgrade to our starting XI. I have no doubt some of them might have great potential to be top players but their current level is still below players like Fred, Pogba & Martial.
Have a look at Alan Smith's pre United career and things he said about us. Things change if/when we show a real interest in these types of players.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Have a look at Alan Smith's pre United career and things he said about us. Things change if/when we show a real interest in these types of players.
It’s because the club forced him to go to United. If the same case happens again, sure I can see Phillips had no choice but to join us. However, I doubt it will happen next season.

b82REZ

It’s because the club forced him to go to United. If the same case happens again, sure I can see Phillips had no choice but to join us. However, I doubt it will happen next season.
The club forced him? What a load of tosh. He made the decision himself. No one can force you to sign for a club against your will.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

b82REZ

Do you even read your own link? :lol:

Your link (article) clearly said he would never leave if Leeds hadn’t gone down which connected to my link (article) said that Leeds was in crisis for money and United had the best offer, there was only one choice for Smith to go.
I never said he didn't say that. You made the ridiculous claim he was forced to join us which isn't true. While Leeds were trying to start a bidding war and wanted to sell to the highest bidder, ultimately it was Smith's decision where he went. Had he refused to join us Leeds would have had to accept a lower offer.

You made out like he was driven to Carrington against his will and forced to sign for us. His quotes state he never thought we'd be interested but as soon as he found out Fergie wanted him it was an easy decision.

At the time Leeds owners were essentially asset stripping the club and they would have sold him to the next highest bidder, simple as.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I never said he didn't say that. You made the ridiculous claim he was forced to join us which isn't true. While Leeds were trying to start a bidding war and wanted to sell to the highest bidder, ultimately it was Smith's decision where he went. Had he refused to join us Leeds would have had to accept a lower offer.

You made out like he was driven to Carrington against his will and forced to sign for us. His quotes state he never thought we'd be interested but as soon as he found out Fergie wanted him it was an easy decision.

At the time Leeds owners were essentially asset stripping the club and they would have sold him to the next highest bidder, simple as.
If you read the article, this is the quote.

‘’To a degree he might not have chosen Manchester United had he been given the choice, but he wasn't. The club led him down that line. His agent and Alan were made aware of the situation at that time, and the neccessity was that he went to Old Trafford.”

b82REZ

If you read the article, this is the quote.
“I did say that,” he admits. “I've also learned to never say never in football. When I said it I was young and naive and never thought that a) Man United would ever want me and b) Leeds would ever sell me. Look how silly I was.”

As for criticism, I would have been a fool if I thought that would never have happened,” Smith explains. “I'd been at the club when Eric left to go to Old Trafford. I was ball boy the day he came back and scored at the Kop and saw the feelings that day.

“I spoke to Sir Alex and he said: 'I never thought you'd be brave enough to make that decision.' But the Leeds I left wasn't the Leeds I knew. There were people in charge of the club who I didn't like. I went to meetings and saw some bizarre things, with me being touted about to the highest bidder.

"I had the chance to go from a team who'd been relegated to the champions of the country. Arguably the greatest club manager ever wanted me. How could I turn that down?"

I'll stick with what Smith said himself rather than what some journalist suspects happened.

It's really not difficult to grasp. Had Smith refused to sign for us there is nothing the Leeds hierarchy could have done and would have had to either keep him (which was the last thing they wanted because they were asset stripping the club), or accept a lower offer (what they would have done because they were asset stripping the club).

There isn't a single player who could be forced to sign for a club against their will, and no club in their right mind would complete a signing of a player who didn't want to join and was resistant to the whole thing. If Smith hadn't expressed and interest Fergie would have walked away.

Anyway we've derailed this thread enough, if you still cant accept it was ultimately the players decision there's not much more evidence I can provide other than direct quotes from the player in question and not some journalists interpretation.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
“I did say that,” he admits. “I've also learned to never say never in football. When I said it I was young and naive and never thought that a) Man United would ever want me and b) Leeds would ever sell me. Look how silly I was.”

As for criticism, I would have been a fool if I thought that would never have happened,” Smith explains. “I'd been at the club when Eric left to go to Old Trafford. I was ball boy the day he came back and scored at the Kop and saw the feelings that day.

“I spoke to Sir Alex and he said: 'I never thought you'd be brave enough to make that decision.' But the Leeds I left wasn't the Leeds I knew. There were people in charge of the club who I didn't like. I went to meetings and saw some bizarre things, with me being touted about to the highest bidder.

"I had the chance to go from a team who'd been relegated to the champions of the country. Arguably the greatest club manager ever wanted me. How could I turn that down?"

I'll stick with what Smith said himself rather than what some journalist suspects happened.

It's really not difficult to grasp. Had Smith refused to sign for us there is nothing the Leeds hierarchy could have done and would have had to either keep him (which was the last thing they wanted because they were asset stripping the club), or accept a lower offer (what they would have done because they were asset stripping the club).

There isn't a single player who could be forced to sign for a club against their will, and no club in their right mind would complete a signing of a player who didn't want to join and was resistant to the whole thing. If Smith hadn't expressed and interest Fergie would have walked away.

Anyway we've derailed this thread enough, if you still cant accept it was ultimately the players decision there's not much more evidence I can provide other than direct quotes from the player in question and not some journalists interpretation.
Yes there is a time when a player himself also said he's a fan of the club in their childhood and stated the same reason why he joined the club, one of the recent example is Di Maria. Come on, you really think things that come out from player's mouth are the truth?

He's not going to throw the club he loves under the bus. He loves Leeds and there is a reason why he had to join the club he hated if it's for the sake of the club he loved. The link that I had is also a quote from Leeds legend who knows Smith. Why would he lie in the first place anyway? :lol:

That's the reality and unfortunately you just can't accept the reality and made it into pointless argument in this thread. Anyway, believe what you want to believe mate.

Giggsyking

He should GO. He is here because he is a club legend (he will ruin his image as a club legend if he continue) not because he is a great coach. Just change his name with any other Norwegian managers who won the Norwegian league and everybody here would be furious this appointment. No big club (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Munich or Juventus) will tolerate mediocrity for 3 seasons in the hope and the embedded lie "we will be great again in the far far future". This plan of him is just to buy as much time as possible to stay here. He knows it, we know "the fans that want's him out" and the opposition fans knows it. The only people who does know it or denying it is the ones that support him (the minority).

Champagne Football

Thank God you’re not our manager that’s all I’ll say.
It was just a wild guess based on realistic targets and the trend Ole seems to be following of going mostly British. I would say absolutely that James Maddisson and Kalvin Phillips are up there as priority signings for Ole in the summer. I've no idea who Ole will sign as a creative box to box signing, if at all, considering he might put trust in Garner to rival Scott McT next season. I seriously doubt Saul Niguez, Thomas Partey, Rakitic, Havertz or any of those guys will be wanting to sign for a team outside the top 4 for a second season in a row come the summer. If you're thinking we will sign Mbappe, Havertz and Niguez in the summer then you should probably support Real Madrid instead.

the chameleon

I keeping switching between firing him and giving him time build. He's not going to win us titles, but if he can help with the transition from 6-8 to back on the cusp of challenging, it will be a great achievement.

For example, if players like Rashford, Greenwood, McSauce and Martial keeping improving. We bring through and improve a couple of more youngsters. Plus also adding some new signings. This will build a solid backbone which we have lacked for years.

I think this will set up very well for the next manager (someone who will need to be chosen very carefully) to take up a level or two with one or two of his own additions to complete the jigsaw.

Ollie Derbyshire

Can’t get rid of everyone we’d like in a couple of windows, at least these two want to be here unlike Lukaku and Sanchez.

Rumours that Matic and Rojo can go in Jan are great to hear, after years of buying in players who didn’t want to be here in the first place and keeping hold of underperforming players for too long, we are now trying rectify that.

Hopefully in the summer the likes of Young, Jones, Bailley and Sanchez will be moved on as well. I’d happily take Smalling back to compete with Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe.

Then the following winter/summer, Mata can be moved into a coaching role for example, Lingard, Pereira, and potentially McT and / or Fred can become squad players finally and the first 11 and bench will look much stronger.

b82REZ

Yes there is a time when a player himself also said he's a fan of the club in their childhood and stated the same reason why he joined the club, one of the recent example is Di Maria. Come on, you really think things that come out from player's mouth are the truth?

He's not going to throw the club he loves under the bus. He loves Leeds and there is a reason why he had to join the club he hated if it's for the sake of the club he loved. The link that I had is also a quote from Leeds legend who knows Smith. Why would he lie in the first place anyway? :lol:

That's the reality and unfortunately you just can't accept the reality and made it into pointless argument in this thread. Anyway, believe what you want to believe mate.
The reality is what the person in question said, is it that difficult for you to grasp? Read the quotes from the player and its clearly stated what the situation was. Just because you misunderstood what happened doesn't mean you have to double down on being wrong to try and make yourself appear correct.

There is no misinterpretation possible here Smith himself stated what happened. He acknowledged the club wanted the best price for him but at no point has he or anyone directly involved in the transfer claimed he was forced, against his will to join us.