Ole says this season will be used to find next season’s squad

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/aufstellung/spielbericht/2578162

Here you are. Under LvG. Not isolated instance either.

Check Poch teams when he took over and what was the average age.

Zidane in 17/18 season fielded teams with average age 22.8 or 23 something.

Lampard fields regularly 24 something as average age and is top 4.

There are literally hundreds of examples.

The most promising player we have in our ranks - Mason - has started just one game this season. Check how many Rashford started at a similar age for example.
Great example. Firstly, tell me how LVGs tenure at the club turned out. Secondly, tell me how many of those players actually made it. Thirdly, there are 2 u20s in the starting line up, not four. So why is this something to hold up again?

Lampards players are significantly more experienced than ours. Something I explicitly mentioned at the beginning of all this. No?

Paul_Scholes18

Our squad is capable of better. Ole show some managerial skills now! Or resign if you can't do better.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great example. Firstly, tell me how LVGs tenure at the club turned out. Secondly, tell me how many of those players actually made it. Thirdly, there are 2 u20s in the starting line up, not four. So why is this something to hold up again?
Why does that matter?

You asked examples, I gave you many. How will Ole tenure end?

At the time Januzaj was bound to be a top player.

How many times has Ole started 4 u20 players in PL?

izec

Dont know how someone was against Moyes for the right reasons can be for Ole for the wrong ones. Both are not good enough and never will be.

Good thing is, Ole will get time. Not 3 years, but he will comfortably get another year, more than Moyes could have wished for.

ti vu

Dont know how someone was against Moyes for the right reasons can be for Ole for the wrong ones. Both are not good enough and never will be.

Good thing is, Ole will get time. Not 3 years, but he will comfortably get another year, more than Moyes could have wished for.
Now Moyes can have real reason to feel that he was hard done. He succeeded SAF, when people ain’t used to us struggling mid table so he ain’t afforded another year, even though he actually has better CV than Ole, and being the Chosen One.

mu4c_20le

Moyes took a championship winning side into midtable and lost the dressing room. Ole will get time because he still has the backing of the players, as hard as it is for some to accept.

izec

Moyes took a championship winning side into midtable and lost the dressing room. Ole will get time because he still has the backing of the players, as hard as it is for some to accept.
The players cant motivate themselves to perform against non top sides, that would help Ole a lot.

mu4c_20le

The players cant motivate themselves to perform against non top sides, that would help Ole a lot.
We lack real leadership in this squad, a Roy Keane, and its made worse after the departures of winners like Rio. That's why I doubt the likes of Rodgers could do as well as he's doing now with Leicester, it's not just about quality or Vardy vs Rashford, it's about that mentality and grit when things aren't going well. I'm not excusing the manager of course, but problems run deeper than just tactics and motivation.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How motivating is it really to play for top 6 and the EL?

hobbers

That's why I doubt the likes of Rodgers could do as well as he's doing now with Leicester, it's not just about quality or Vardy vs Rashford, it's about that mentality and grit when things aren't going well. I'm not excusing the manager of course, but problems run deeper than just tactics and motivation.
But we took Leicester's biggest leader on the pitch. They replaced him with a total newbie to the Prem and paired him with Evans, famous himself for his lack of leadership. The likes of Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison... not much leadership quality there at all.

Paul_Scholes18

How motivating is it really to play for top 6 and the EL?
Getting titles should motivate our squad that has barely won anything. For Pogba he might want to aim higher though than what we are fighting for, but he should be motivated to get into form for the Euros.

Alabaster Codify7

I can accept that he has their backing - he's the first manager they've had who actually encourages them to be shite and allows them to get away with it. In fact, he rewards them for it.

If you were shite at your day job, which boss would you rather work for?

a) the boss who drags you into his office and tells you you are doing well below par and are facing the sack or

b) the boss who pats you on the back and says "dont worry mate, its fine, give it another go on Monday - have a nice relaxing weekend".

Obviously the latter. No surprises to any of us that this bunch of cowardly players are loving the lack of pressure on them nowadays.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why does that matter?

You asked examples, I gave you many. How will Ole tenure end?

At the time Januzaj was bound to be a top player.

How many times has Ole started 4 u20 players in PL?
Why does it matter? My point is it isn't realistic to expect him to throw players in there. You have, and none of them are examples of what I asked for.

How often does anyone? Has it never occurred to you there's a reason for that? You seem to have completely lost track of the point of this conversation in a desperate attempt to prove me wrong. I'm not suggesting Ole is some kind of trailblazer mate.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I can accept that he has their backing - he's the first manager they've had who actually encourages them to be shite and allows them to get away with it. In fact, he rewards them for it.

If you were shite at your day job, which boss would you rather work for?

a) the boss who drags you into his office and tells you you are doing well below par and are facing the sack or

b) the boss who pats you on the back and says "dont worry mate, its fine, give it another go on Monday - have a nice relaxing weekend".

Obviously the latter. No surprises to any of us that this bunch of cowardly players are loving the lack of pressure on them nowadays.
This. What's the point of having the players' backing if the results are worse than those of the previous manager who DIDN'T have the players' backing?

(This isn't an argument for keeping Mourinho - just pointing out the fallacy of this common pro-Ole talking point)

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Pathetic excuse of a manager. Basically ending the season before the halfway mark. But that’s what happens when you put incompetence in power and make it unanswerable to its failure.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Not sure what all the fuss is about, he's obvious told the players, or some of them, in-house that a lot of the performances are well below the required standard at United and they are basically playing for their futures at the club, now he's just reassuring the fans that is the case. That and confirming that he will still be the Manager next season obviously.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not sure what all the fuss is about, he's obvious told the players, or some of them, in-house that a lot of the performances are well below the required standard at United and they are basically playing for their futures at the club, now he's just reassuring the fans that is the case. That and confirming that he will still be the Manager next season obviously.
Nothing about this confirms he'll be the manager next season. You can't ensure those things. He might even be sacked before the season ends.

I thought March-May was the time when he was telling players they were playing for their futures. I guess if it doesn't work first time around, you do it again. And then again if that doesn't work...

Alabaster Codify7

Nothing about this confirms he'll be the manager next season. You can't ensure those things. He might even be sacked before the season ends.

I thought March-May was the time when he was telling players they were playing for their futures. I guess if it doesn't work first time around, you do it again. And then again if that doesn't work...

This is it, if Ole isn't fired I'd feel confident this exact same charade would be playing out again in December 2020.

United around 8-10th in the league, terrible run of form, and Ole buying another season of time by claiming "he's deciding who's not going to be here next season" like that's not a task every other manager above him in the league is also doing, on the fly. Without it being the sole focus of their season.

b82REZ

Don't bite, the guys a troll. He loves to spin everything into a positive and how Ole is going a great job.

Halftrack

Pathetic excuse of a manager. Basically ending the season before the halfway mark. But that’s what happens when you put incompetence in power and make it unanswerable to its failure.
Careful, your mask is slipping.

Halftrack

Take a quote out of context, interpret it in the worst way possible, bash Ole. Some things never change.

Jericholyte2

Surely every season is used to judge the squad for the following season. Those no longer good bough are sold, those who impress get bumped up etc.

Why is this even news???

Danish Wizard

Then it will be a busy transfer-window this summer.. Serious investment is needed, but will Solskjær himself be the one in charge by June 2020.?

And why is Man United in a position around Christmas, where we start focusing on next season. That is not acceptable, and will only give the players an excuse to play like Watford away quite often for the rest of the season. Not good enough..!

Halftrack

Surely every season is used to judge the squad for the following season. Those no longer good bough are sold, those who impress get bumped up etc.

Why is this even news???
Because the outrage merchants on here will take any opportunity to bash Ole.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

You sure? If he'd not been assured that his job was safe why come out and say anything.

Maybe there's more that need(ed) to be moved on than he originally thought - not sure he'll get away with it a third time, but he is a club legend so you never know.

SAFMUTD

Didn’t he said the same thing mast season?
He’s just lowering the expectations trying to lower the pressure on him, he’s a mediocre manager.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Careful, your mask is slipping.
What mask? I’ve always said his incompetent and would go down as the worse manager in our history. Him being an ex player doesn’t blind me to the fact that he’s a very poor manager. Now I’m disgusted by the fact that in December he’s already written the season off.... the same man who when he was interim was saying “The Champions League is where Man Utd belong”

It’s ironic but if Ed was saying the very things that Ole is saying there’d be outrage. If Ed had hired some league 2 manager and results and performance had been the same there’d be outrage.

Halftrack

What mask? I’ve always said his incompetent and would go down as the worse manager in our history. Him being an ex player doesn’t blind me to the fact that he’s a very poor manager. Now I’m disgusted by the fact that in December he’s already written the season off.... the same man who when he was interim was saying “The Champions League is where Man Utd belong”

It’s ironic but if Ed was saying the very things that Ole is saying there’d be outrage. If Ed had hired some league 2 manager and results and performance had been the same there’d be outrage.
I can't even be bothered. I'd rather set myself on fire, in fact.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I can't even be bothered. I'd rather set myself on fire, in fact.
Your apathy to the decay of the club under Ole leads me to believe that you are a “can’t be bothered, rather set yourself on fire” type

Halftrack

Your apathy to the decay of the club under Ole leads me to believe that you are a “can’t be bothered, rather set yourself on fire” type
It's apathy in the face of relentless outrage and negativity. I have little issue with criticism of his managerial ability, but I can't fecking stand the never-ending parade of outrage merchants taking his words out of context and interpret it in the worst way possible, then have a go at him for it. Nothing he said suggests he's given up on the season. What the feck is he supposed to have given up on? He'll want to win as many games as possible, but it's clear that this is a squad in transition, and players will be sold. Our main objective is getting back in position to challenge for the league and CL titles, and that was never going to happen this season, so it's only natural that it will, in part, be used to find out which players have a future here.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
It's apathy in the face of relentless outrage and negativity. I have little issue with criticism of his managerial ability, but I can't fecking stand the never-ending parade of outrage merchants taking his words out of context and interpret it in the worst way possible, then have a go at him for it. Nothing he said suggests he's given up on the season. What the feck is he supposed to have given up on? He'll want to win as many games as possible, but it's clear that this is a squad in transition, and players will be sold. Our main objective is getting back in position to challenge for the league and CL titles, and that was never going to happen this season, so it's only natural that it will, in part, be used to find out which players have a future here.
“That was never going to happen this season”
I’m sure if Leicester had hired Ole instead of us... they’d be doing just as good as they are doing more. Nothing to do with the manager

Halftrack

“That was never going to happen this season”
I’m sure if Leicester had hired Ole instead of us... they’d be doing just as good as they are doing more. Nothing to do with the manager
Not that I needed proof, but it's clear as day that you're just looking for things to be outraged at Ole about. Have fun with that, try not to stroke out.

manunited1919

Why does he want to wait till next season to see who will be in the team and who won’t? He needs to fix the team now.

For example, it’s obvious Lindgard playing at 10 is affecting our attacking football and costing us points, yet Ole has insists with Lingard at 10 game after game after game. This doesn’t give me any confidence Ole is capable to fix the team, either this season or next season or next decade.

Is this Ole’s way of saying we are not getting any players in January?

Halftrack

What did he say?
I mean, the quotes are right there in the article in the OP, and he sure as shit didn't suggest we've given up the season. Unless you're actively looking for things to get angry at him about, in which case saying "we'll use this season to evaluate the players" means that. Because a season can only be used for one thing. You can't evaluate the players and try to do well in the competitions you're in. Apparently.

ti vu

I mean, the quotes are right there in the article in the OP, and he sure as shit didn't suggest we've given up the season. Unless you're actively looking for things to get angry at him about, in which case saying "we'll use this season to evaluate the players" means that. Because a season can only be used for one thing. You can't evaluate the players and try to do well in the competitions you're in. Apparently.
There is something you don’t need to tell the press, especially that was your your last excuse of a terrible end of last season.

I would leave Mourinho out. Moyes also being butchered by people for being honest and open in the press. How is these quote from Ole motivate the team? It’s up there with desperate Moyes & Mourinho who couldn’t keep it in the the dressing room any more, but going out trying to save their reputation. Why is the double standard?

Sweet Square

What has happened on the pitch which has convinced so many fans of this? How poorly does our team have to perform for us to understand that sometimes the manager isn't good enough?

We have examples of clear progress all across the league but yet we continue to justify our poorest ever season.
Literally this month.