Olivier Giroud

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I am not opening this thread to glorify his goal vs. Palace today. It would be so childish to do it. The fact is that this guy he has scored so many important goals for us, he always works his socks off for the team and his movements are just perfect (everyone should look at them closely). And yet a lot of people get on his back. I know he can be frustrating most of the times, but what a striker is supposed to do is to score goals. Olly does it often.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I find your praise to be a bit over-the-top. He is a good striker, definitely but not top-tier and he has frustrated Arsenal fans as well over the past years. Arsenal needs an upgrade on him IMO.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I find your praise to be a bit over-the-top. He is a good striker, definitely but not top-tier and he has frustrated Arsenal fans as well over the past years. Arsenal needs an upgrade on him IMO.
Of course, i don't want him as first choice, but he is not even Benteke or Sanogo ;)

bleezy

Good striker for a top 4 side, not good enough for the champions. Him going off song from about January onwards last season was as big a reason as any for Arsenal not winning the title. Been in very good form lately though it'll be interesting to see if he's still a starter when those tough games in February start. Chelsea away, both legs vs Bayern, and away games at both Southampton and Liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am not opening this thread to glorify his goal vs. Palace today. It would be so childish to do it. The fact is that this guy he has scored so many important goals for us, he always works his socks off for the team and his movements are just perfect (everyone should look at them closely). And yet a lot of people get on his back. I know he can be frustrating most of the times, but what a striker is supposed to do is to score goals. Olly does it often.
Every season he goes on a run of form where people start saying he is finally establishing his credentials as a top striker. Then he let's you down.

He is the quintessential nearly-man. Not good enough to start regularly, too good to be mere backup.

Wenger's persistence with him reflects the hamstrung development of your side. Should have been phased to a lesser role years ago.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
but what a striker is supposed to do is to score goals. Olly does it often.
But not often enough, bar 2015 where he scored 32 goals he hasn't been a 30 goal a season striker. You could argue we don't put enough crosses in for him though, which I believe to be true. If only we had a prime David Beckham to feed him.

Great off the bench though.

Sylar

TBH, Arsenal just need to supplement him. No issues with him and always find it weird Arsenal fans get on his back. They should be wanted additions to him rather than replacement.

Also weird you picked that Giroud goal against United rather than the one this season lol.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Giroud is a good striker. If they had two of his quality they'd be set on striker position. Problem is, he is too good to be just another squad-player, and not good enough to lead the line alone with no rest, henche they experiment with Theo/Sanchez up top instead of buying a new striker to either take the main-man role or share the goal-burden with Giroud.

Mind, they could just buy another creative player to replace Sanchezes contribution in the build-up, if Sanchez makes the move to striker and then they'd have two decent strikers.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
If he was a bit quicker he'd be one of the best in the league but he is unbelievably slow. For the goal today he looked like he'd never even make it to the box.

Strats

Piers Morgan's hatred against Giroud says everything about his so called football knowledge. As @Robbie Boy boy said, very underrated player. Would have loved to have him as a back-up striker behind Ibra, since I don't trust Rooney nor Rashford being capable enough to replace him if he gets injured.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Problem is, he is too good to be just another squad-player, and not good enough to lead the line alone with no rest, henche they experiment with Theo/Sanchez up top instead of buying a new striker to either take the main-man role or share the goal-burden with Giroud.
I don't think he is. I don't think he's better than Martial, Rashford or Iheanacho

I don't think that's the reason we haven't got a better striker either. Wenger has tried to land Suarez, Higuain, Vardy, Lacazette, Aubameyang, David Villa that we know of. We've just been incapable of pulling any of those moves off.

If he doesn't want to ride the bench who in their right mind will pay his 100k a week wages?

Robbie Boy

I don't think he is. I don't think he's better than Martial, Rashford or Iheanacho

I don't think that's the reason we haven't got a better striker either. Wenger has tried to land Suarez, Higuain, Vardy, Lacazette, Aubameyang, David Villa that we know of. We've just been incapable of pulling any of those moves off.

If he doesn't want to ride the bench who in their right mind will pay his 100k a week wages?
He's better than fecking Vardy. You's dodged a bullet there.

NinjaFletch

Every season he goes on a run of form where people start saying he is finally establishing his credentials as a top striker. Then he let's you down.

He is the quintessential nearly-man. Not good enough to start regularly, too good to be mere backup.

Wenger's persistence with him reflects the hamstrung development of your side. Should have been phased to a lesser role years ago.
They can't get anyone better otherwise he would have been.

Brightonian

Piers Morgan's hatred against Giroud says everything about his so called football knowledge. As @Robbie Boy boy said, very underrated player. Would have loved to have him as a back-up striker behind Ibra, since I don't trust Rooney nor Rashford being capable enough to replace him if he gets injured.
I don't think you can say he's underrated then put him on your wishlist as a back-up. Putting aside raving morons like Piers Morgan, Arsenal fans who have issues with Giroud aren't claiming he's not good, just that - exactly as you've pointed out - a club aiming to compete for the title needs someone just that shade more heavyweight: Costa, Suarez, Aguero, Ibrahimovic. And you can't play two at the same time. Hence the Giroud conundrum; too good to be benched, not quite good enough to win the title.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
TBH, Arsenal just need to supplement him. No issues with him and always find it weird Arsenal fans get on his back. They should be wanted additions to him rather than replacement.

Also weird you picked that Giroud goal against United rather than the one this season lol.
The problem with Giroud is his lack of pace means our throughball game gets ruined. His lack of agility to is a problem. He can also go through periods where he misses sitter after sitter after sitter. If we were a crossing side it'd be less of an issue.

He's better than fecking Vardy. You's dodged a bullet there.
Leicester and Vardy are in poor form. I expect both finish the season better than they started.

Having a pacey clinical striker would suit creative players like Ozil and Cazorla better and maybe create space for our wingers to.

Sylar

The problem with Giroud is his lack of pace means our throughball game gets ruined. His lack of agility to is a problem. He can also go through periods where he misses sitter after sitter after sitter. If we were a crossing side it'd be less of an issue.
Which is fine, and tbh, it happens to a lot of strikers where they go through periods of missing chances.
IMO, you guys just need somebody else to take that burden off him rather than just relying on him as the main and only striker (and i dont mean sanchez or Walcott)

Robbie Boy

Leicester and Vardy are in poor form. I expect both finish the season better than they started.

Having a pacey clinical striker would suit creative players like Ozil and Cazorla better and maybe create space for our wingers to.
I think it's more a case that both Vardy and Leicester have found their level again. Last season was a complete freak anomaly for them, obviously. I know a few Arsenal fans who were delighted when you's didn't sign Vardy and felt he would have been a complete waste of money. I wish Vardy had of went to you's, he's nowhere near good enough.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

You don't rate him, that's fine. I do.
I think he is good enough if he shares the responsibility for scoring goals through a season.

Trying to buy Suarez was more of a RvP moment, Arsenal thought he had a release clause, not trying to get him when he was in that form would've been stupid.
Vardy and Lacazette would've been players to share the responsibility with Giroud, while I'm unsure if I've ever seen any substantial rumors about Auba to Arsenal, and David Villa is a blast from the past... I'm talking now though.

I can accept that you and a lot of others don't rate him as good enough for your club. And you guys obviously watch him more than I do. But since he came to England, based on what I've seen, I've seen a 20-goals a season striker that struggles when he is off-form or jaded (which keeps him from reaching those numbers), and a proper partner to share the responsibility and lowering the gametime he had would help him I think.

Btw, with squad-role i mean more or less what we United fans think Schneiderlin/Fellaini/Lingard could or should be, players we can have in the squad but don't want to use in a first XI. Giroud is too good for such a role, and would be more in line with, say for example Juan Mata. Someone who absolutely can and should start every other game when he is in form, and come in when we need his kind of qualities. A bit more than just squad-filling.

I'm starting to go around in circles though, so i'll leave it there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I rate him. He's a very good player. Links up well and is awesome in the air.

Last edited:

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
For most of the time he has gone missing when needed. He seems to play well coming off the bench, otherwise he will score 6 goals in 4 games and then nothing for the next 5 games.

Strats

I don't think you can say he's underrated then put him on your wishlist as a back-up. Putting aside raving morons like Piers Morgan, Arsenal fans who have issues with Giroud aren't claiming he's not good, just that - exactly as you've pointed out - a club aiming to compete for the title needs someone just that shade more heavyweight: Costa, Suarez, Aguero, Ibrahimovic. And you can't play two at the same time. Hence the Giroud conundrum; too good to be benched, not quite good enough to win the title.
Thats a good way of describing him. With that said, having someone like Giroud as a back-up could in the long run be the difference between us or Arsenal finishes in the top 4.

I'm convinced that if we had him or a player in his calibre, by bringing him or this player instead of useless or out of form players like Fellaini, Rooney and Rashford in the games like Burnley, Stoke and West ham we would have been above Arsenal in the table now.

They have a very good set up with their strikers, and i fear that if Ibrahimovic gets injured we'd be in trouble. If we put Martial up front our left side would be weak, and I don't think Rashford is good enough to handle that role. I wouldn't mind if Jose brung looked at bringing in a back-up striker and and maybe loaning out Rashford to a club who gives him first team football for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Snowjoe

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
You don't rate him, that's fine. I do.
I think he is good enough if he shares the responsibility for scoring goals through a season.

Trying to buy Suarez was more of a RvP moment, Arsenal thought he had a release clause, not trying to get him when he was in that form would've been stupid.
Vardy and Lacazette would've been players to share the responsibility with Giroud, while I'm unsure if I've ever seen any substantial rumors about Auba to Arsenal, and David Villa is a blast from the past... I'm talking now though.

I can accept that you and a lot of others don't rate him as good enough for your club. And you guys obviously watch him more than I do. But since he came to England, based on what I've seen, I've seen a 20-goals a season striker that struggles when he is off-form or jaded (which keeps him from reaching those numbers), and a proper partner to share the responsibility and lowering the gametime he had would help him I think.

Btw, with squad-role i mean more or less what we United fans think Schneiderlin/Fellaini/Lingard could or should be, players we can have in the squad but don't want to use in a first XI. Giroud is too good for such a role, and would be more in line with, say for example Juan Mata. Someone who absolutely can and should start every other game when he is in form, and come in when we need his kind of qualities. A bit more than just squad-filling.

I'm starting to go around in circles though, so i'll leave it there.
I do rate him as a bench/back up option. I rate the other strikers I mentioned to. He obviously isn't world class or anywhere near. Off the bench he's one of the best, he nearly always scores, similar to Solskjær for United. I can't pinpoint why he does better off the bench either, he generally does better after he's been dropped and his position is under threat, so maybe that's it.

United is actually a good example, you used to have Yorke, Cole, Solskjær and Sherringham. Then you had Rooney, Tevez, CR7, Berbatov. We used to have Henry, Bergkamp, Kanu and Wiltord. For the most part all those players were happy and Giroud can't claim to be better than them.

Those were the 4-4-2 years ofcourse and ironically that system would better suit Giroud, it'd probably suit Alexis better to play as a second striker, as it would Walcott and maybe Welbeck to. Whether we have the wingers for it is another matter.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Olivier Giroud Scores Gorgeous Scorpion Kick Goal. Still Not As Gorgeous As Olivier Giroud Himself :lol::lol::lol:

But yeah, he's got to be one of the most underrated strikers out there. Yeah, he's no Henry, but in today's market you'd be hard pressed to find someone better. Most of the few guys who are clearly better already play for a big club

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
Better than Ibrahimovic currently.
In what universe would that be? I rate Giroud he seems to score every time I ever see him come off the bench but better than Zlatan? that's madness.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh and btw, arsenal's goalscoring problems are entirely psychological. The simple solution would be to play a more conservative game, concentrate more on being defensively solid. That, and Wenger no longer being a good enough manager. I mean, liverpool are scoring for fun and their forwards are coutinho, lallana, mane, firmino, origi. Not exactly a murderer's row of world class goalscorers. The only world class goalscorer they have barely plays

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I think this sums him up.

To say he works his socks off is cack too. Sanchez works his socks off, Giroud just bothers every now and then. Often he's moaning like a fanny after getting tackled.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
He's a good sub and often a good starter. He'd be a good striker to have as an option of 4. Is he an Ibra? Suarez? Aguero? Costa? Rooney? No. But I find he's underappreciated by arsenal fans. Used properly (and maybe that's sparingly), he can be great.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Better than Ibrahimovic currently.
If that were the case it would be reflected in the numbers. Zlatan at the age of 35, has 17 goals already this year. And that's with a barren spell where he was missing all sorts of goals.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

Exactly. Him leading the frontline by himself is not good enough, while him as back up is fine.
Well, i chose that goal because it was such a wonderful strike.