Olivier Giroud

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Yes, his scoring rate for France is better than Benzema's.

I think he suffers a little from not being Thierry Henry both for France and Arsenal, but he's an excellent player. The problem was never Giroud; it was that there wasn't another good striker to help carry the workload.

Arsene Wenger on that goal: I think it was an exceptional goal because it was at the end of a fantastic collective moment, which is what our game is about. He transformed that goal into art – because of the surprise, because of the beauty of the movement and because of the efficiency. People come to the games to see these kind of goals.

http://arseblog.com/2017/01/arsenal-2-0-crystal-palace-giroud-gave-us-really-special-moment/

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Everything has been said.

Here, you have the ranking of the best scorers (excluding international games) since 1st January 2014

1. CRISTIANO RONALDO
Real Madrid + 128 goals in 121 games
2. L. MESSI
FC Barcelone + 122 / 126
3. L. SUÁREZ
FC Barcelone + 99 / 117
4. Z. IBRAHIMOVIC
Manchester Utd + 97 / 115
5. R. LEWANDOWSKI Bayern Munich + 87 / 124
6. P. AUBAMEYANG Borussia Dortmund + 84 / 117
7. G. HIGUAÍN Juventus Turin + 80 / 123
. E. CAVANI Paris SG + 80 / 128
9. S. AGÜERO Manchester City + 77 / 106
10. NEYMAR FC Barcelone + 76 / 118
11. ADURIZ Athletic Bilbao + 74 / 124
12. H. KANE Tottenham + 72 / 56
13. A. LACAZETTE
Lyon + 69 / 104
14. A. GRIEZMANN
Atl. Madrid + 66 / 128
15. K. BENZEMA
Real Madrid + 60 / 102
16. M. ICARDI Inter Milan + 59 / 105
17. T. MÜLLER Bayern Munich + 57 / 119
. A. SÁNCHEZ
Arsenal + 57 / 118
19. R. LUKAKU Everton + 55 / 113
20. K. GAMEIRO
Atl. Madrid + 53 / 119
. C. BACCA
Milan AC + 53 / 114
22. DIEGO COSTA Chelsea + 51 / 98
23. O. GIROUD
Arsenal + 50 / 106

. W. BEN YEDDER FC Seville + 50 / 99
25. G. BALE Real Madrid + 43 / 95

And he scored with France 11 goals in his last 20 goals.

Consistent player.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
Giroud for me is indicative of the problems Arsenal and Wenger in particular have brought over the last decade. Replacing excellent players with players just not up to the same standard. For me, Giroud is a big downgrade on RVP and I know it isn't easy to find a replacement for such a classy player (look at us trying to replace Keane) but it is a downgrade. This doesn't just apply to Giroud. Walcott, Gibbs, Xhaka even Welbeck are all downgrades on players that previously filled their positions in my opinion.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Giroud for me is indicative of the problems Arsenal and Wenger in particular have brought over the last decade. Replacing excellent players with players just not up to the same standard. For me, Giroud is a big downgrade on RVP and I know it isn't easy to find a replacement for such a classy player (look at us trying to replace Keane) but it is a downgrade. This doesn't just apply to Giroud. Walcott, Gibbs, Xhaka even Welbeck are all downgrades on players that previously filled their positions in my opinion.
Of course he is a big downgrade. The problem is that he has been played as first choice most of the times, while if you just consider him a back up he is a great player to have.

El Jefe

Best second choice striker in the league. Unfortunately for him, he's not good enough to be the main striker of a team with title aspirations but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In Fergie's time here he always had a reliable bench scorer to come in off the bench or be in and out of the team but still delivering good numbers which helped win titles.

ti vu

Giroud is a very good forward. However, he is old fashioned box forward type, who offers hold up play outside the box, and little else. Too limit to be the mainstay at big club, but too good to stay second choice for long term.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
It's often said that Giroud hasn't been fully appreciated by Arsenal fans, and broadly that's true, but a large segment of us have liked him since (or before) the start. When I frequented Arsenal forums there was always a split between pro-Giroud and contra-Giroud, and he's always been pretty highly rated by Arseblog commenters.
Generally though, I think generally Arsenal fans have grown to appreciate him more and even some of his harshest critics seem quite respectful these days.

Bojan11

Hate him. He always scores a late winner or equaliser for them.

El Zoido

Arsenal are fecked if he gets injured or if his form drops.

Sp00ks11

Hate him. He always scores a late winner or equaliser for them.
On the bright side, he was stupid enough to waste time celebrating rather than grabbing the ball putting it on the centre circle and having an extra 30-45 seconds to grab a winner. That to me sums up the whole Arsenal mentality for 10+ years.

But yeah feck him! :lol:

Raw

It was just so obvious.

His celebration though, there was still time to win the fecking twat :lol:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
What the hell is wrong with him? Wasting a minute celebrating an equaliser with just a couple of minutes left to get a winner.

I'd drop him just for that.

AndyJ1985

Full-time model and part-time footballer. The man is in love with himself.

SirAF

Ageist
What the hell is wrong with him? Wasting a minute celebrating an equaliser with just a couple of minutes left to get a winner.

It's the lack of winning mentality that has been haunting arsenal since 2004.

JohnnyKills

He's so in love with himself that man. Bet he jerks off to the mirror.
I said exactly the same thing to a friend of mine. He sums up Arsenal - a boyband masquerading as an elite football team

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
ArsenalMania criticising him too for that celebration.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It's the lack of winning mentality that has been haunting arsenal since 2004.
Yep. That celebration is the very definition of a small-time, loser mentality.

I'd be livid if I were an Arsenal fan. What a prat. :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Different circumstances coming back from 1-0 down to 3-0 down but there was no celebrating from Martial against Boro, just get the ball back to the halfway line

Small time mentality

Sylar

Different circumstances coming back from 1-0 down to 3-0 down but there was no celebrating from Martial against Boro, just get the ball back to the halfway line

Small time mentality
Both with about five minutes to go to get that winner. Still, if youre trying to push for a title, and are this far back, and were expected to win with time left against 10 men, that celebration was.... well, it just made me laugh so much.

But ignoring that, hes a good player for them and gets far too much flak from them cos hes not Henry (and imo, isnt getting the help required).

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Both with about five minutes to go to get that winner. Still, if youre trying to push for a title, and are this far back, and were expected to win with time left against 10 men, that celebration was.... well, it just made me laugh so much.

But ignoring that, hes a good player for them and gets far too much flak from them cos hes not Henry (and imo, isnt getting the help required).
The flak is because he can follow up a spell like his recent one with a similar length of games where he looks like he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Usually precipiated by a melodramatic mental implosion during a really big game.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Christ, he adores himself. Pushing the teammate away and prancing towards the camera like a clown when they're desperate for another goal.
The thing is, I don't even think they were desperate. Not only Giroud, they all turned off when they scored a 3rd. It's fantastic to return from a 3:0 deficit but they were so overwhelmed that they did they forgot that they should've gone for a winner

Sylar

The flak is because he can follow up a spell like his recent one with a similar length of games where he looks like he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Usually precipiated by a melodramatic mental implosion during a really big game.
Which is what happens to strikers though who arent elite. Hes not elite and this is why I think its obvious he needs help in the striking department, esp when hes not doing it. If you take him out, the strikers have pretty much been Walcott...

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Love him.

He is the perfect striker for Arsenal, good enough so that Wenger isn't bothered about upgrading him, but far enough from being a top tier striker that Arsenal will never challenge for a title/Europe while they have him up front.

ti vu

It was just so obvious.

His celebration though, there was still time to win the fecking twat :lol:
"There will be still plenty of time to get the fourth" :wenger:

Edit: Actually they did get the fourth today. Well done Giroud

Golden Nugget

I think this sums him up.

To say he works his socks off is cack too. Sanchez works his socks off, Giroud just bothers every now and then. Often he's moaning like a fanny after getting tackled.
My Arsenal supporting mate said similar things about him when I asked why he wasn't played more often - told me that he was good every now and again - but if you watched him week in week out for the full games as opposed to MOTD highlights, you'd realise that he wasn't good enough to be a starting striker for a club that wants to win the league.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Be not afraid. I'm not bumping this thread because we've been linked somewhere with him or that I'd propose such transfer. It looks like Giroud isn't good enough striker for Arsenal (let alone us :p). Nonetheless the Frenchman has the awful knack of scoring spectacular goals. I'd dare to say that Rooney (prime and post-prime, but not current incarnation) being thousand miles better player hasn't scored so many and so sublime goals. Tonight he's just added another one to his collection.