Olivier Giroud

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Always rated him.
Even used to defend him from Arsenal fans, which is strange.

Luke1995

Giroud is a great player, comes up with goals in crucial moments, he offers arsenal so much more than Theo Walcott. With this Nketiah kid Giroud will get even less playing time and it's sad from a footballing standpoint. I hope he goes to a team where he can be the main man and show what he can do. Well done to Eddie though, serious, serious prospect.

JSArsenal

Giroud played yesterday and did nothing, so I'm not part of this poor Giroud narrative. Yes he scores a spectacular goal every now and then but generally he has not been good enough for an Arsenal first choice striker.

Two seasons ago he didn't score for fifteen straight premier league games. The longest scoring drought of any Arsenal forward. Who has the second longest drought? Giroud as well. Not to mention his diabolical performance against Monaco at home.

There is a reason why Wenger himself tried to replace him in every single summer window since his arrival and Wenger is a manager who is loyal to his players to a fault. He even tried playing Theo Walcott of all people up front instead of Giroud.

For every supporter calling him underrated, I guarantee they would be singing a different tune if Giroud was first choice striker in their team for an entire season.

James Peril

I like Giroud, but he is what he is. He is the new Bedtner, the guy who comes in and scores when you are one goal down. A great battler and header of the ball when the game becomes scruffy, but not so important when the match starts. As a football player, he is too limited with his passing, touch and movement outside of goalscoring situations - a bit like Lukaku, but of course not a similar goalscorer.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Looks like a kid. Also looks like he's trying to hide bum chin with that beard :smirk:

I'm opposite, I prefer to be clean shaven on my face but my beard grows back noticeably in 2-3 days and it's annoying shaving all the time.
It's a shame he's vertically challenged though, I'd say 9 out of 10 women would pick Olivier, plus he's French.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I like Giroud, but he is what he is. He is the new Bedtner, the guy who comes in and scores when you are one goal down. A great battler and header of the ball when the game becomes scruffy, but not so important when the match starts. As a football player, he is too limited with his passing, touch and movement outside of goalscoring situations - a bit like Lukaku, but of course not a similar goalscorer.
What do you mean by 'outside goalscoring situations'? He's usually up around the goal but he does a lot more than just score goals. Here's a video of some of his assists:

I don't really agree with the view of him being better as a supersub. Most of his best games have come as a starter, in a system designed to suit him, and I'm not sure his current role is doing him many favours. That may come right, though - even as a Giroud fan I must admit that he can be frustratingly streaky.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Well deserved award even if Giroud can be immensely frustrating as a starting striker. Every season he has a few wonder goals in his locker but he also always has a 10-15 game goal drought that harms the team. He was also a bit unfocused when he first arrived at Arsenal and seemed more interested in his celebrity status as Arsenal striker than actually grinding down. He always does his best when he is not guaranteed anything and has to fight to earn his place - usually from the bench.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Always rated him.
Even used to defend him from Arsenal fans, which is strange.
I've said it before, but it's true: His biggest criticism comes because of the players he's following. You go from Wright, Bergkamp, Henry, RVP... To Giroud. Giroud is a cut below those names, but he's still a very good player.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal

Kapardin

If Giroud was a United player, I'd be absolutely devastated to lose him, especially to a rival. Loyal, committed and always good for a goal.

Chelsea could benefit from this. Giroud is a clutch player.

Luke1995

Criminally underrated. Maybe he would have developed into a world class player if he had other manager than Wenger earlier, now it's too late for that next step. Very good aerial skills and he reminds me somewhat of Berbatov, he has quite an elegant touch and sometimes good vision to link-up play. Arsenal should rather sell Iwobi and keep him, Wenger making all the wrong decisions.

Robbie Boy

He's a very good striker and I think he'll do better than Morata, in the short-term, anyway. I've always found him very underrated.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's a funny one. He's getting on, has fallen out of favour and his recent popping up off the bench aside he has frustrated Arsenal fans for quite a while with his erratic finishing. That said he's a good player, seems to genuinely love Arsenal and surely the likes of Welbeck and, young though he is, Iwobi should be the ones marginalised ahead of Giroud?

Zoo

I think he'll be a great foil for Hazard, Willian and Pedro.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would be great if it doesn't come off. Arsenal stockpiled with strikers and Chelsea in turmoil.

IrishRedDevil

Is he moving from the Arsenal bench to the Chelsea bench?

Seems like a weird move. Surely he wants to play every single week with the World Cup in the summer. I don't think the £60m Morata will be benched long term.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So fecking stupid the way Arsenal keep strengthening rivals. We could all be laughing at Chelsea floundering around chasing Carroll and Crouch but they’ve ended up with the best striker to have on a PL bench since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. FFS Arsenal. What are you doing?!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Gone. Such a shame. Cheap too. Agree with Pogue, we were robbed of a great comedy show with Chelsea chasing no name players of a certain height. Great deal for them :(

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I think it’s like Chelsea letting Cech join Arsenal - he’s been a dedicated servant of the club so they won’t ask him to uproot his young family to further his career.

I’ve read he might play alongside Morata (as Llorente sometimes did at Juventus)?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So fecking stupid the way Arsenal keep strengthening rivals. We could all be laughing at Chelsea floundering around chasing Carroll and Crouch but they’ve ended up with the best striker to have on a PL bench since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. FFS Arsenal. What are you doing?!
I'm not complaining to be fair :lol:

It's very odd though. Hasn't Wenger said they wouldn't sell to rivals again after RVP? I accept Sanchez was difficult for him to resist but seems to criminally underrate Giroud if he thinks Chelsea won't be significantly strengthened by this deal to the detriment of Arsenal.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Remember, this was also part of Chelsea losing Batshuayi (who’s scored 10 goals for them) and so Arsenal getting Aubameyang.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Think he will do very well at Chelsea. Sad he will be a Chelsea player when he will play for the French in the World Cup.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Remember, this was also part of Chelsea losing Batshuayi (who’s scored 10 goals for them) and so Arsenal getting Aubameyang.
Worth bearing in mind. It's funny in that all three managers will probably think they've done well out of the merry-go-round given ages/burnt bridges/quality of the players involved, but equally certain fans will think each has lost out.

Jacko21

How many times has he rescued Arsenal coming on as a sub I'm recent times?!

Too class player and underated IMHO.
Think he made a rod for his own back though.

When he'd have a run of starts, his conversion rate was poor - he'd miss a bunch of chances, go a dozen games without a goal and find himself on the bench.

Then he'd regularly come of the bench and rescue Arsenal, thus giving himself the unshakable 'super sub' label.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Di Marzio says its done deal now. Good signing for Chelsea. I was hoping they'd sign Crouch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it’s like Chelsea letting Cech join Arsenal - he’s been a dedicated servant of the club so they won’t ask him to uproot his young family to further his career.

I’ve read he might play alongside Morata (as Llorente sometimes did at Juventus)?
Yeah Conte seems to prefer the 3-5-2 in away games with 3 midfielders rather than wingers. He's clearly been after a target man for a while now.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Highlight reel player. I'm not surprised people that see mostly highlights of Giroud think he is underrated. When you don't see Giroud play week in and week out you don't realize how incredibly frustrating a player he is. Wildly inconsistent and extremely streaky. He is not underrated at all. He is just very slow and very inconsistent. But he makes great highlights sometimes!