g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Olivier Giroud

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You miss the point. Quite obviously you will look better with better players, that goes for anyone
I'm not missing the point for two reasons, first Giroud has looked as good with better and worse players. And the secondly because playing with better players won't make you look better unless you up your game, otherwise you will look out of place.
Also Arsenal weren't made of pub players, we are talking about the Arsenal with prime Ozil and Sanchez.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm not missing the point for two reasons, first Giroud has looked as good with better and worse players. And the secondly because playing with better players won't make you look better unless you up your game, otherwise you will look out of place.
Also Arsenal weren't made of pub players, we are talking about the Arsenal with prime Ozil and Sanchez.
The poster who I responded to asked if this is the same player who played at Arsenal.

So you missed the point completely. Because he was not able to get over the line with Arsenal like he has for France for obvious reasons which I already stated

Ive not said he was better or worse have I. I noticed you didn’t mention any Arsenal defenders….

JPRouve

Scout
The poster who I responded to asked if this is the same player who played at Arsenal.

So you missed the point completely. Because he was not able to get over the line with Arsenal like he has for France for obvious reasons which I already stated

Ive not said he was better or worse have I. I noticed you didn’t mention any Arsenal defenders….
Why would I mention Arsenal defenders in a post asking whether Giroud is the same player that he was or better. You are the one missing the point, I already gave my answer and unlike what you seem to think mentioning Arsenal players isn't supposed to be part of it.

Pintu

The incarnation of the “underrated player” concept.

Only 4 penalties in his 52 goals. And this is the list he’s topping (A list of world class forwards)

Cassidy

Why would I mention Arsenal defenders in a post asking whether Giroud is the same player that he was or better. You are the one missing the point, I already gave my answer and unlike what you seem to think mentioning Arsenal players isn't supposed to be part of it.
You mentioned Arsenal players. And its part of it since Arsenal was the team he was playing for. You responded to my post without knowing the point I was making.

redshaw

My impression of Giroud throughout the years is he's always been as good, annoyingly so. He does the same things wherever he goes and even if he just gets 10 minutes. An amazing player that keeps on going despite being written off for his age.

You can see why Mbappe would want something similar at PSG.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Only 4 penalties in his 52 goals. And this is the list he’s topping (A list of world class forwards)

Interestingly, 4 of their top 7 are still playing.

Is that because there's more international games in the past 10 years?

mav_9me

Surprised to see Griezmann that high.

I am not a fan but he has been very very good this world cup playing more like midfielder than attacker. Great credit to him too.

JPRouve

Scout
You mentioned Arsenal players. And its part of it since Arsenal was the team he was playing for. You responded to my post without knowing the point I was making.
Because you made a point about Arsenal's quality. Giroud has been playing the same way during his first years with France when the first team was far worse and when he was largely playing with the second team. Giroud level of performance and goal ratio haven't changed, regardless of who plays with for France. He was also doing it for Montpellier, Chelsea and now Milan.

JPRouve

Scout
Interestingly, 4 of their top 7 are still playing.

Is that because there's more international games in the past 10 years?
Yeah, Platini has far less games. Mbappé is on a pretty high pace while the others have been undisputed starters for long periods of time.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's gotta enjoy it while he can, because Mbappe is coming for it very quickly at the pace he's going now. Took him a little while to get started in the NT but now he's setting a record pace.

Cassidy

Because you made a point about Arsenal's quality. Giroud has been playing the same way during his first years with France when the first team was far worse and when he was largely playing with the second team. Giroud level of performance and goal ratio haven't changed, regardless of who plays with for France. He was also doing it for Montpellier, Chelsea and now Milan.
Yet the reason he gets more recognition now is because the team he plays for is winning. Case and point. I never said he is a better or worse player now. You had no clue what point I was making, then when I told you that you continue.

He is not playing any better for France than he did at Arsenal. The recognition is different for obvious reasons and it happens because France is a much better side

Canagel

I hadn't realized Benzema was almost on 40. It's not entirely impossible that Henry goes from 1st to 5th within a couple of years.

JPRouve

Scout
Yet the reason he gets more recognition now is because the team he plays for is winning. Case and point. I never said he is a better or worse player now. You had no clue what point I was making, then when I told you that you continue.

He is not playing any better for France than he did at Arsenal. The recognition is different for obvious reasons and it happens because France is a much better side
Fair enough, now I see where you are coming from. But you realize that your previous posts read totally differently?

Cassidy

Fair enough, now I see where you are coming from. But you realize that your previous posts read totally differently?
No they don’t. Especially when I said early on Ive not said hes better now or worse. And especially when I said you missed the point.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Athleticism never been a big part of his game. So he's still effective despite his age.

Also doesn't suit how most top sides play now. Is suited to how France play though.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Giroud went the entire World Cup without scoring a single goal last time around. Most of his goals are outside of wc or euros. He's absolute rubbish, I blame him for single handedly ruining Wengers legacy at Arsenal.

Wow, people either have the memories of a goldfish, or they just haven't seen him enough.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
See, this is where the stats thing gets a little muddled for me. Players in the modern day will tend to play more games for their countries and especially so with the Nation's League meaning squads aren't rotated as much.

France's list looks somewhat similar to Spain's, which is perhaps more surprising with the likes of D Silva and Morata being in there.

Taking nothing away from Giroud of course because he's earned top scorer relative to the competition he's faced getting there.

France

RankPlayerGoalsCapsAverageCareer
1Olivier Giroud (list)521170.442011–present
2Thierry Henry (list)511230.411997–2010
3Antoine Griezmann421140.372014–present
4Michel Platini41720.571976–1987
5Karim Benzema37970.382007–present

Spain

RankPlayerCareerGoalsCapsAverage
1David Villa2005–201759980.608
2Raúl1996–2006441020.431
3Fernando Torres2003–2014381100.345
4David Silva2006–2018351250.280
5Álvaro Morata2014–30600.500

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Giroud went the entire World Cup without scoring a single goal last time around. Most of his goals are outside of wc or euros. He's absolute rubbish, I blame him for single handedly ruining Wengers legacy at Arsenal.

Wow, people either have the memories of a goldfish, or they just haven't seen him enough.
The stupidity of this is actually worrying.

Andersonson

Klose, Giroud etc. Not those you would think, but very honest players who give everything. Love it

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty standard that.

Most of international football is just friendlies and qualifiers against subpar or mid tier nations, about 60-70% of tournament football is also against decent but mid tier nations.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He's Miroslav Klose without the WC goals

ut yeah, hes underrated in the sense that he usually isn't mentioned in the same breath as Henry and Benzema, but really isn't that far behind.
You have to be kidding.
He's nowhere near either of them

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’ve always though Giroud is one of the most under appreciated players of recent years not just for France but at club level too.
Agreed. Giroud's not a 'great' or anything, but he's always been better than he often gets given credit for. Use him as that target man with the right attackers behind him and he'll help the entire attack gel. Would've been very well suited to how Mourinho wanted us to play, considering that's exactly how he tried to play with Lukaku despite that never being his game.

BerryBerryShrew

Surprised to see Griezmann that high.

I am not a fan but he has been very very good this world cup playing more like midfielder than attacker. Great credit to him too.
I'm a massive Camavinga fan and I felt like Deschamps was missing a trick by starting Griezmann ahead of him but credit where credit's due. He's probably been France's second best player - his intelligence and awareness are vital to this team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm a massive Camavinga fan and I felt like Deschamps was missing a trick by starting Griezmann ahead of him but credit where credit's due. He's probably been France's second best player - his intelligence and awareness are vital to this team.
Camavinga has talent and time for him. I shudder to think what the team would be without this Griezmann

Revan

Assumptionman
Camavinga has talent and time for him. I shudder to think what the team would be without this Griezmann
With Pogba out, playing Gruezmann in that position was a very correct decision. Although to be fair, he was the best player for France in WC2018 and Euros 2016, so playing Griezmann was always the right choice.

JPRouve

Scout
With Pogba out, playing Gruezmann in that position was a very correct decision. Although to be fair, he was the best player for France in WC2018 and Euros 2016, so playing Griezmann was always the right choice.
In hindsight that new role should have been used earlier, it would have fixed a lot of headache when it comes to Benzema and/Mbappé having more space across the attack. Griezmann was always the main playmaker for France but doing it from deeper helps everyone.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well this time a goal in a big game :)
I will never tolerate any Giroud slander ever again. The amount of shit people said about him after not scoring a goal in the last World Cup.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Well this time a goal in a big game :)
I thought he was shite and one of the reasons France couldn't get out of their half. It really wasn't the game for him, but he scored again so fair feck to him.

fallengt

How does he always play well for French?
I don't get it. What's his secret

cyberman

How does he always play well for French?
I don't get it. What's his secret
He stays in the box. It’s simple and it works. You don’t see him dropping 25 yards back and picking the ball off Griezmann toes