g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Olivier Giroud

NoPace

Ironically he's a good as Benzema in the system France play

Theyre spoilt for choice
Just seems like target men are more influential in international football, presumably because the game is just more chaotic than club football. Can't rule out Kane fading or getting injured and Ivan Toney being the toast of Euro 2024.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No great peak but an excellent career. Sort of like Dzeko. He's gotten to that level. Chelsea defeated him but that happens to all but the Tier 1 or tier 2 strikers it seems.
That was Lampard's mistake and we all know he isn't a good manager. When Tuchel took over, he used him more

Ekeke

Always scoring for France. Could have had more than 1 though lets be honest. That volley straight at the keeper should have been better

I remember when Arsenal signed him that I said Arsenal wouldnt have been able to attract a better replacement for RVP than him. At least for France he's paid off my positive reference

flappyjay

Always scoring for France. Could have had more than 1 though lets be honest. That volley straight at the keeper should have been better

I remember when Arsenal signed him that I said Arsenal wouldnt have been able to attract a better replacement for RVP than him. At least for France he's paid off my positive reference
Its only at Arsenal where he didn't win the biggest trophies. Won the league in france with montpellier, champions league with Chelsea and then Seria A with Milan.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
the fact that he was so sparingly used throughout his career has been a blessing for milan.
there are few better CFs in the world right now, he's playing unreal football.
he doesn't have the 90min legs, but he works hard, presses like crazy, and his sense of positioning in the box might be best in the world.

his end is coming soon, but he's reached another peak, imo.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its only at Arsenal where he didn't win the biggest trophies. Won the league in france with montpellier, champions league with Chelsea and then Seria A with Milan.
And the Europa League as a top scorer. The two major trophies that he has played and not won are the Euro and the PL.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Hard guy to deslike. One of Europe's underrated footballers let alone forwards.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That was Lampard's mistake and we all know he isn't a good manager. When Tuchel took over, he used him more
That's not reallty true. Tuchel came in and in the 30 games left that season, he started 6 of them. In the previous 29 games under Lampard, he started 7.

Lampard used him coming off of the bench a lot more than Tuchel did as well.

Neither Lampard or Tuchel really wanted him but he played more under Lampard, for sure.

Last edited:

Idxomer

I definitely used not to rate him much.

He has been reliable for so long that you have to give him a lot of credit for maintaining such a good level for so long.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

No France are better with Giroud upfront. The results are there for everyone to see. Benzema's injury was a blessing in disguise for France. He's not having a great season for his club too.
Did Jordan Bardella tell you that or did you actually watch France's games the last 2 years?

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I definitely used not to rate him much.

He has been reliable for so long that you have to give him a lot of credit for maintaining such a good level for so long.
I would say his hold-up play is one of the best from any strikers in Europe, and that's gained an advantage to maintain his career at the top level. Look at the striker at 34+ years old, I think the holding-up play is one of the most important skills for any strikers at this period (34 to 41 ). When you lose your explosiveness, holding up skills can help you to maintain yourself at the top level. His hold-up play is one of the most important factors in Pioli's system too.

His selflessness and correct attitude both on and off the pitch also made him beloved by football fans, staff, and managers. You can say one thing about Oliver he is always a passionate guy for any clubs that he has played.

Look at his reaction at the end of the clip.

Last edited:

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Going through the different team of the tournament threads in the World Cup forums, most posters have put Giroud as the 9 in their best XI, quite an achievement for a 36yo player who has been doubted his entire career. 15 years ago, Grenoble, in Ligue 2 at the time, decided to get rid of him by loaning him in National with one year left on his contract because they thought he'd never be good enough to play in Ligue 2. That same summer they recruited Walid Regragui, who ended his playing career there, and he helped them promote to Ligue 1.

jadaba

He played in goal for Milan today after their keeper was sent off, and made a good save in the 104th minute. His expression is gold, he just threw his entire fibre at the ball with his eyes shut and it paid off.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He played in goal for Milan today after their keeper was sent off, and made a good save in the 104th minute. His expression is gold, he just threw his entire fibre at the ball with his eyes shut and it paid off.

Love this. I have such a weird soft spot for Giroud..

miked99

The absolute audacity of the Milan keeper to be mystified as to why he suffered the injustice of a red card :lol:

I love this. Was clearly worried about his hair :lol:

I really like Giroud, he's a cracking player. Bizarre he never really got a chance at Chelsea. Even when he scored and did well he was never seriously in the first team picture.

Oranges038

Harsh red card for Maignan, he won the ball cleanly twice with fair headers. Not his fault the other player didn't want to contest the aerial ball and ran into his knee.

Nice work from Giroud though, love seeing that reaction from the team after he made the save.

garelo

He would have probably been an ideal stop gap signing for us 2-3 years back instead of us going for Cavani/Ronaldo.
Cavani was superior player and he was just as good as Giroud in the air. The mistake was re-signing Ronaldo but hey the godfather couldnt bear the sight of his golden boy in city's kit, so....