Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

The Hilton

We've several people here that don't understand the difference between number of shots faced and percentage of shots saved, their minds will go blank at the concept of Expected goals prevented.

Onana is a good keeper, not as good as we would like but certainly not shit either. A better one would be nice but if that required significant finance then the money would be better spent elsewhere, in the near term at least.
Several is quite the understatement. I think a large part of it is that quite a few posters have seen the high profile mistakes he's made and have made up their minds, so any evidence to the contrary is rejected.

I don't think Onana will ever be the world's best shot stopper, he's too prone to calamitous errors, but he has a lot of potential as a sweeper keeper in a team that's comfortable in possession.

chisagyu

Very interesting. Some people think he has been absolutely poor and couldnt save a word file while some thinks he has been doing OK, which is insane since he single handled causes our UCL exit and letting soft goals go in throughout the season after I heard people slamming DDG for doing the same on amuch lesser scale last season.

It's almost like we have been watching different players in a parallel universe.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We can keep for him next season as we need to spend funds elsewhere, but ultimately he'll have to be moved on if it is our intention to challenge for/win the two big trophies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Onana is twice the keeper as DDG for his last few years. He’s a very good keeper. He could still be world class in the right setup. Same as Mount (sorry not sorry)

Onana is in the top 5 keepers in the league after a horrific early season. First season. Jurys out for me. I like him, he’s a nutter and very good on the ball

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If you want to compare purely pased on stats, DDG was 1st in clean sheet last season. Even last season's de gea was nowhere near as horrific and to watch as onana.
DDG also faced significantly less shots.

Learn how to interpret stats before trying to use them to back your arguments.

vanrooney

Onana got better and better this season and looks good. A gk also looks better with a stable back four that we didn’t have for the whole season. Just get a fit top lb, Licha back and a top cb and the whole situation will look different. With a top partner for mainoo it could be enough to suddenly play good football again. This season was a freak season when looking at the injuries

chisagyu

DDG also faced significantly less shots.

Learn how to interpret stats before trying to use them to back your arguments.
Yea, and hence why onana concedes significantly more goals too. 84 and counting for the season. Well done. Pity we won't hit the 100 mark, or will we??

My issue with him is across the season there are many simple saves which he doesn't make. DDG's last season wasn't remotely as bad.

SomeRandomPerson

On needing a new keeper, does anyone here know how Diogo Costa is doing this season? We were linked quite heavily with him, with numerous reports of us sending scouts to watch him and I remember someone on here made a thread showing how basically only Allison was doing better than him statistically over a number of metrics. I remember thinking in the summer how shit it must be to be a scout at United - you spend all this time scouting a player, presumably taking notes and preparing a detailed report on a player and then United just ignore all that work and go and get a player the manager has already worked with.

Only time I've seen him is at the world cup where he dropped a couple of clangers that cost Portugal but if he's still doing well for Porto, he could still be an option, no? Not for this summer obviously as we have lots to fix and a limited budget to fix it but maybe the season after?

He must have played against Arsenal in the Champions League this year, but I honestly have no memory of him playing in that game.

Schmeichels pinky

We shouldn’t spent money on a new keeper. Onana hasn’t been great, but not bad either all things considered, and other positions are much more important to upgrade. Also, another season in, hopefully, a much better and more coherent and balanced team will give us a much better impression of what he’s actually about.

But IF we were to sign another I have to repeat: Mads Hermansen has everything - great shot stopping, great feet, clever and young. He could very well be one of the best in the Prem next season.

Cantonalegod

We shouldn’t spent money on a new keeper. Onana hasn’t been great, but not bad either all things considered, and other positions are much more important to upgrade. Also, another season in, hopefully, a much better and more coherent and balanced team will give us a much better impression of what he’s actually about.

But IF we were to sign another I have to repeat: Mads Hermansen has everything - great shot stopping, great feet, clever and young. He could very well be one of the best in the Prem next season.
Looks like a keeper, more in the De Gea mould, but with decent passing.

Unfortunately we have a guy who looks like he was pulled out of the crowd to keep goal.

Tbf he was decent on Wednesday, but not recently against Palace, or Burnley, will he be on Sunday, or the following Saturday? You never know with our guy.

elmo

Yea, and hence why onana concedes significantly more goals too. 84 and counting for the season. Well done. Pity we won't hit the 100 mark, or will we??

My issue with him is across the season there are many simple saves which he doesn't make. DDG's last season wasn't remotely as bad.
Move on and support De Gea, you’re clearly not a fan of the club.

Revan

Assumptionman
Onana makes more is what you want to tell me? Yes I agree and realize that, good shot stopper? I disagree he is a very average shot stopper. The stats also tell us that he has only one mistake leading to goal in the PL while we all remember him making much more than that. He should be improved if we are to be a serious football team, that is of course along the defense.
To be fair, that is not a stat. It is someone's subjective opinion on mistakes.

Not sure I buy the Onana has outperformed the stats when it comes to goals prevented. Looks the case, he has a +3xGA, but at the same time we as a team have outperformed that stat massively too, by almost 15 goals. My feeling is that the reason why he is outperforming his xGA is not cause he is an amazing shot-stopper (anyone who watches him knows it is laughable to say so), but because we have faced a shitload of low-quality shots that are accumulated in this stat.

So, similar as I would have said that we do not have an amazing defense for outperforming xGA by 15, I would say that Onana is also not an amazing shot-stopper for outperforming his xGA by 3 goals.

lex talionis

Given budget constraints, our best move right now is to strengthen more glaring weaknesses and look for another keeper in 1-2 seasons after Onana has worn out his welcome. His superior passing ability doesn’t outweigh his substandard shot-stopping ability but he’s just solid enough to get us through for another season as we begin the rebuilding process. But if there’s a young keeper out there who can be had for 15-20m we need cover Onana and perhaps a bit of pressure.

We all get nervy first years at OT so let’s see about the second year, but the real complaints should be with ETH refusing to play the backup keeper, Bayanidir, bar one match all season. That’s poor management all the way around and did Onana himself no favors that no matter how poor he was he was guaranteed to start the next match.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Onana should be given a second chance. He now knows the league and hopefully next year he will have a proper defense on front of him rather than casemiro and whoever is fit.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Keep, we have other urgent priorities in the squad than the keeper. If we sort the defence and midfield out and reduce the shots we face then Onana will have an easier time of things.

JB7

Move on and support De Gea, you’re clearly not a fan of the club.
Maybe he will if his hero ever gets a new job. Remarkable isn't it, such a supposedly brilliant goalkeeper wanted by absolutely nobody. You'd think 18 months down the line of being available to speak to clubs for nothing that the penny would have dropped by now.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If Ortega wants to leave City in the summer to get more game time, we should go all in. I'd love Martinez even more - I know some people think he's a c*nt, but he'd be our c*nt

Nori-

Too early to say he hasnt worked out. Infact its crazy.

De Gea didnt start off well and went on to be our first choice keeper for over a decade.

The team on a whole have under performed this year, a keeper is nothing without a solid back 4 - which has been our worst area this season.

Give him another year with a consistant back line and re-evalute next summer.

InfiniteBoredom

De Gea didnt start off well and went on to be our first choice keeper for over a decade.

The team on a whole have under performed this year, a keeper is nothing without a solid back 4 - which has been our worst area this season.

De Gea’s first season is wildly exaggerated, he let in two soft long range goals in his first 2 games (one vs City in the Shield and 1 from Shane Long in season opener), and were rotated a bit with Lindegaard, but from late Dec onward when the latter had a disastrous game vs Reading (3 goals in the 1st half) he cemented his place and was solid to spectacular the rest of the season (including that save vs Mata free kick in the 3-3 comeback away at the Bridge). The next season he made the PFA team of the year.

If Onana has looked anywhere close to that this season there would be a lot less concerns, what is worrying is that while a lot of the goals conceded aren’t his fault, his performance fluctuates wildly between games and there’s no sign of that changing anytime soon.

Kostov

Maybe he will if his hero ever gets a new job. Remarkable isn't it, such a supposedly brilliant goalkeeper wanted by absolutely nobody. You'd think 18 months down the line of being available to speak to clubs for nothing that the penny would have dropped by now.
You were camping in the DDG thread last year, can you offer your GK expertise of over analyzing every facet of Onana’s game?

To be fair, that is not a stat. It is someone's subjective opinion on mistakes.

Not sure I buy the Onana has outperformed the stats when it comes to goals prevented. Looks the case, he has a +3xGA, but at the same time we as a team have outperformed that stat massively too, by almost 15 goals. My feeling is that the reason why he is outperforming his xGA is not cause he is an amazing shot-stopper (anyone who watches him knows it is laughable to say so), but because we have faced a shitload of low-quality shots that are accumulated in this stat.

So, similar as I would have said that we do not have an amazing defense for outperforming xGA by 15, I would say that Onana is also not an amazing shot-stopper for outperforming his xGA by 3 goals.
I didn’t even bother to check our defensive stats, glad someone did and it does indeed prove than stats are often misleading.

elmo

They’re also completely ignoring the context that we basically have a different backline every 2-3 games due to injuries.

We basically have 3/4 of our starting backline out the entire season but nah, it’s the new keeper’s fault. He should be saving everything even if we concede 20 shots a game.

De Gea literally fumbled when he had to face 5 shots per game, he’ll be shambolic if he had to face the amount of shots that Onana faced this season.

JB7

You were camping in the DDG thread last year, can you offer your GK expertise of over analyzing every facet of Onana’s game?
Yeah because I was stood behind the bloke every week and he wound me up by not doing absolute basics of goalkeeping that people are taught to do as 7 year olds. And this isn't new stuff either, we're talking basic fundamentals that have been part of playing the position for 20+ years. I'm generally pretty positive towards United players and look for the best in them, but when you're the highest paid goalkeeper in the world and are that bad at 75% of your job, it's a massive problem and likely why nobody wants him even now.

In fairness to Onana, he does do the basics that De Gea didn't, such as making himself an option for defenders in under pressure and dealing with balls behind the defence. The biggest issues with De Gea were him never dealing with crosses and him staying on his line when balls behind the defence were dropping either just outside or just inside the corners of the penalty area, Onana is two or three times more likely to deal with the crosses and he is very good at taking control of the balls coming into the area behind defenders. De Gea also wasn't happy with the ball at his feet and hid away from defenders being pressed, Onana doesn't do that but generally has to go long still due to the injuries and lack of press-resistant defenders available, which is due to our over reliance on Martinez and Shaw. He's also no worse than De Gea in terms of overall shot stopping despite what many would think, he doesn't make the incredible eye catching stops De Gea did but he's generally more consistent in stopping the shots you'd just expect him to stop - equally he has made some shocking errors this year, just like De Gea last year.

He's not the goalkeeper I would have signed, he's not even the goalkeeper from Milan I would have signed, but we've got far bigger problems than him and with a settled defence in front of him who give him the proper passing options ETH wants, and a midfield that doesn't get walked through every 5 seconds leading to 20-25 shots against him a game then he should be fine.

RedRocket9908

If Ortega wants to leave City in the summer to get more game time, we should go all in. I'd love Martinez even more - I know some people think he's a c*nt, but he'd be our c*nt
Martinez? Did you see his mistake against Liverpool, it was worse than any Onana has made this season

Pickle85

De gea was about five years younger and less experienced, no? It's apples and oranges.

Litch

Whether worked out or not, is that what the fanbase is about now ditching players after their first season in the PL?

The Bloody-Nine

Whether worked out or not, is that what the fanbase is about now ditching players after their first season in the PL?
It certainly should be. Hanging on to players / managers who clearly aren't good enough is why we are where we are.

Pickle85

Is it ? Or is apples and oranges a title winning defence and this defence ?
That's a factor in how he's performed, of course, but my point is that the comparison of an extremely young goalkeeper in his first season at a new club with an established keeper in what should be his prime in his first season at a new club are VERY different prospects.

Kirk lazarus

Onana when he was the same age as De Gea

Cheers for that , I have absolutely no idea how it is relevant to anything I mentioned .

Im sure you're aware that I can't respond in kind with an irrelevant clip of my own, but if I Could , Would a montage of the highest paid keeper in the world in his ' peak years '
Making blooper after blooper after blooper for this actual club be more relevant ?

mu4c_20le

Too funny but where is the one with him making saves or doesnt that exist?
Relax, it was just to show the mistakes he made when he was young and less experienced. The obvious difference is he should be established now rather than still improving.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
SAF ditching Taibi after a few games. So it's all good. We're a bit better than SAF.