Opposition fans view - Louis van Gaal

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
What do people feel now? I'm quite happy they didn't replace him with Mourinho in January, although that looks inevitable in the summer.

As for LvG, he's pretty much confirmed my view that he's an arrogant, past-it fraud.
I think he is still one of the best managers in the game. He is probably too softish towards established players like Rooney. How Rooney could have convinced LvG that he was still a 25-goals-a-season striker is beyond me. Not having bought a clinical striker in the summer was LvG's biggest mistake, because you had rock solid defense and with an effective striker upfront you'd be competing for the title.

Stacks

He's been worse than I thought - I expected him to burn his bridges in season 3 and not this bad. Still, I'd take him over Moyes any day of the week. Moyes was comedy for me, the way he tried to con the fans and lower expectations and mentality to his comfort zone.

Moyes thinks like a loser. For all his flaws, Van Gaal thinks and acts like someone who belongs at a top club. For that alone, he will leave the club in far better shape than moyes could have.

I don't think he is as bad as he is delivering. I think he could even turn it around for you. Problem is, he's not turning out to be the great bridge between moyes and the next guy people thought as there are few managers out there who would build on what he's made. Guardiola and maybe Ancelotti but.... Pochettino maybe?

Mourinho is going to want to tear it up and start again if he comes. Has little to work with to suit him in this side.
Van Gaal has been guilty of his fair share of Moyes esque statements to be honest. He has succeeded in lowering our expectations. And this season he definitely doesn't act like someone who belongs at a top club. He makes every game out to be too difficult and no matter who we are playing, Arsenal ladies even, he'll say "it wont be easy" or "they made it too difficult for us to create opportunities as they dared to defend deep." He is Moyes in disguise

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Was initially worried he might have the charisma to take the hot seat at Utd. But never in my wildest, orgasmic, imagination did I think he would do worse than Moyes.

Once the clauses kick in this summer he'll be gone. Pound for pound he's done worse than Rodgers in the premier league. Brendan did warn him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Knee jerk is perhaps incorrect. But to me it looks like United have been trying to solve a problem when they (the management) do not actually understand what the problem is.

The first thing they need to do is fully understand the problem which as I have already said I think is an organisation built by and for one man who has now retired.

An analogy which might fit is that of Casey Stoner who rode a Ducati Moto GP bike to a World Title in 2007. Nobody, not even Valentino Rossi, considered by many to be the greatest rider of all time could get anywhere near what Stoner achieved on the Ducati.

This is how I see Utd. The machine needs to be redesigned to make it rideable by a wider variety of people. But so far United have appointed 2 different riders who have not been able to ride the bike and now United fans want them to appoint another in the hope he will be able to master it. Looks like the definition of madness to me.

Disclaimer - I am not a Moto GP expert and the analogy may not be strictly accurate but hopefully you get my point.
I agree with what you are saying. Most importantly United must shake off Fergie's era and rebuilt from bottom to top. Can't see someone taking the mantle and continuing Fergie's job in the current circumstances and what we have as a structure already at the club.

The model is pretty clear in regards to manager - recycle till you find someone that sticks and back him. Then after 5 years which will be the time he'll stay continue the process and so forth. We need to change the model at the top as well - DoF, bottom - better scouting network, academy to play a style similar to ours and so forth.

There's a lot to do.

Trizy

When LVG was appointed, United fans thought they had got the messiah. When he subbed the goalkeeper during the penalty shootout, they thought he is a tactical genius. Then, the success of Barca and Bayern of all these years was attributed to LVG's terms there. Most United fans where thanking their stars and God for getting a top 5 manager in the world (even though LVG had not won a major league title or a European title for years). And then all came crashing down.

The appointment of LVG sure was met with joy by United fans but it never was hated or annoying for opposition fans. That alone should set the bell ringings that the appointment was the wrong one.
Pretty much spot on. One of my mates who supports Chelsea was telling me he shouldn't even be managing championship let alone United even after the good preseason... looks like he was right.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
When LVG was appointed, United fans thought they had got the messiah. When he subbed the goalkeeper during the penalty shootout, they thought he is a tactical genius. Then, the success of Barca and Bayern of all these years was attributed to LVG's terms there. Most United fans where thanking their stars and God for getting a top 5 manager in the world (even though LVG had not won a major league title or a European title for years). And then all came crashing down.

The appointment of LVG sure was met with joy by United fans but it never was hated or annoying for opposition fans. That alone should set the bell ringings that the appointment was the wrong one.
I don't think anyone thought he was the 'messiah'. There was obvious relief that someone credible had been brought in after the Moyes debacle, but let's face it, LVG was never anyone's first or even second choice for the job.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

I remember when he was getting linked with the Spurs job I was thinking to myself that I'd have thought they'd have been better off looking elsewhere, so you can imagine my response when he ended up at United. The reaction to van Gaal's sub for the penalty shootout was hilarious though, sure it was a brave and good decision, but it's hardly the sort of the thing that defines a manager.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
4th and an FA Cup might have seen him hold on for another season. As things stand, you're staring at another season of second tier European football, and an average squad built up over the last two years.

Would love him to stay, but looks like he's a goner come the day after you win the FA Cup.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
4th and an FA Cup might have seen him hold on for another season. As things stand, you're staring at another season of second tier European football, and an average squad built up over the last two years.

Would love him to stay, but looks like he's a goner come the day after you win the FA Cup.
This is Wenger we're talking about, isn't it?:p

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I think so. Will be a good day.

Coxy

Hope he gets the sack - you're going nowhere with him. It's sad to see.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We should make oppossition fans view on giggs taking over, that'll be interesting.

Any sort of proper Rival would want LVG to be in charge for 20 years
It's obviously going to be "Yes please!!! Make this shit happen !@#@!$!".

JosDeVos

Supports
Neutral.
We should make oppossition fans view on giggs taking over, that'll be interesting.

It's obviously going to be "Yes please!!! Make this shit happen !@#@!$!".
Pretty much this, yeah. Giggs is completely unproven as a manager, of course most oppossition fans will be happy to see him take over. Would be more interesting to appoint Ole though.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

A risk not worth taking. Van Gaal's successor doesn't need him and he needs to try his hand at management in charge of his own team where he's responsible for a team's fortunes. Doubt he's overly keen to manage or work at a club not named Manchester United.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Of course it's good fun when your rivals are not playing well but you're still ahead of us in the league even with a donkey like LvG in charge... I wouldn't be that bothered if he got the sack, you're bound to become better somewhere in the near future anyway so... I just hope it's not Mourinho who takes over because I hate him already and being the new United manager certainly won't help, especially if he brings you back into the title conversation.

I'll laugh if someone like Giggs or Solskjaer will take over though, but I doubt that'll happen. Another year with LvG would be fine for me either, although I've never seen the Caf not moaning about almost everything football related so it might make for a nice change if he does get fired.

NK86

I really hope you are onto something here Donaldo.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
When LVG was appointed in the first place, I was a bit apprehensive. Was happy that Utd didn't get one of Klopp/Jose/Pep/Simione. What a joke of a manager LVG has proved to be. He is so hilarious. Much worse than Moyes ever was if you include the money spent. Martial and De Gea single handedly were performing.

led_scholes

I think he is still one of the best managers in the game. He is probably too softish towards established players like Rooney. How Rooney could have convinced LvG that he was still a is beyond me. Not having bought a clinical striker in the summer was LvG's biggest mistake, because you had rock solid defense and with an effective striker upfront you'd be competing for the title.
Rooney didnt convince him. LvG decided that Rooney is a 25-goals a season striker. That indicates that LvG cannot judje and he is not a good manager anymore. Most of the people saw that Rooney is past it since last year but not him. SAF and his staff saw it 3 years ago. Rooney is finished, not as a striker but as footballer in general. Now Rooney decided that wants to be a cm because even him understands now that he is playing as a 50 years old war veteran missing a leg. But is LvG who decides who plays and where, not Rooney. It was his decision to go with Rooney, Fellaini, Blind (as a cb) and now Lingard as his main players that has cost us this year. So, IMO a guy who thinks that the defensive, boring football we play is a part of an amazing philosophy and a guy who cant judge if Rooney is still a great striker, is a guy who doesnt function in todays football. And lets be honest, both his bayern team and the netherlands had an amazing ride of luck with him.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Meh, you're absolutely right but Wenger is a joke these days, too. Pot, kettle and all that lark.
But we've been shit (objectively speaking) for years now so we're used to it. It's hilarious seeing United fans, who became so used to winning under Fergie, throwing their toys out of the pram coz you're not winning the league every year. And tbh you're miles off winning it. And say what you want about Wenger but we've never been as shit as you guys have in the past few years.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Ok a serious post.

He is shit and how the feck United are still within a chance of fourth is crackers

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I thought he'd do much better. Hope he stays. In hindsight, it's hilarious how many united fans were talking about having the best manager in the league when he arrived.

Still sad that you didn't keep Moyes. The lolz he produced will never be equalled in our lifetime I fear.

prath92

I thought he'd do much better. Hope he stays. In hindsight, it's hilarious how many united fans were talking about having the best manager in the league when he arrived.

Still sad that you didn't keep Moyes. The lolz he produced will never be equalled in our lifetime I fear.
Brendan in his post Suarez period was the funniest thing ever though.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Posted this in another thread but its more apt here
Holy crap. Even a WHU fan is feeling sorry for us.
I agree with him 100%.
And with regards to us not having enough top class players - again, LVG cannot manage those sorts of players, so they won't join us. And any Galactico class player which does join, wants to leave soon after.

Rooney and LVG both need to retire immediately, for the good of MUFC.
I hope that Mourinho has balls to bench/sell/remove Rooney from MUFC's first team.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I just can't believe they didn't sack him in January. Did the club really think he was going to turn it around and improve the team? They've got to that FA cup final basically manager-less, he may as well not be there. Even yesterday against West Ham Bilic was going crazy shouting instructions in the 90th minute and he's sat in his dugout, playing Scrabble on his ipad or whatever. I don't know if anyone agrees but it just seems like he doesn't want to be there. I want to see Giggs in charge next :).