Television Orange Is the New Black

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You think that Matherson fellow is an excellent actor? Or that foreign bloke? And you don't think Topher Grace is limited? I don't know man. Those scientologists all seem pretty limited to me.

MoneyMay

S01E05 is very enjoyable. I like how the chicken is used to finally move Chapman towards prison life, if that makes sense. Pre-chicken incident, she was still adjusting to prison life, but the fact she sees the chicken twice (once after being told not to spread this story) suggests that she's settling in well. The theme of this episode - "The Chickening" - was how the relationships in prison/out of prison are toxic. The ending was decent - Chapman knows that the only way she is going to get a better life is by finishing her sentence, thus she'll be on the other side. One thing that does annoy me though and this has been prevalent thus far, is that she is in a privileged position. The scene where the black woman, Samira, is punished for her act, while the white woman, Chapman, is "let free" despite instigating the chaos is the perfect indicator. Oh, last thing: the guards are fantastic. They really do show the exhaustion, stress, harassment, and dominance really well. Excellent acting thus far... Crazy Eyes is amazing.

MoneyMay

The Chickening is with out a doubt my favourite episode of the series.

I've seen a few people say that it's the funniest episode so far. The only bit I didn't get in the episode was this. I don't understand what's funny about it?

Plugsy

I watched the first few episodes. It kind of loses itself into its own mediocrity in the end that gradually my impetus to carry on to the next episode faded and I just stopped. It's a great premise but I fear the cast is too large. If they had two or three main fellow prisoners and an eccentric cast of background characters occasionally featuring but there seem to be about 10-12 different characters each being given second billing behind the main character. So everything kind of gets lost. You can't appreciate the crazy one because you've got the vindictive chief and the nymphomaniac and the slutty mummy and the druggie and the nice one and the fat one and the older one....it's all a bit too much.

The principle cast is way too many in number.

MoneyMay

I'm not sure about that. Having too much cast is risky, but in the context of the show, it makes sense to have a diverse selection. I like how the show has the black community, white community, religious extremists, etc. to show that the divisions prevalent outside are no different inside. It's not just that either, OITNBs use of flashbacks makes the "risk" pay off. The mixture of humour and tension works well, not to forget that the acting is very good.

I watched S01E06 and E07. In the former, the theme is more political. The divisions are contesting for a place in WAC (one member from each division). Chapman is now an established member of the system. I feel now, we have had a good look into the different aspects of OITNB. Some of the themes from the start until this point: Chapman's struggle at the start to adapt to prison life, authority established, racial divide and tension, and looking at what hindered the inmates in the real world which put them in prison. The way the show has handled looking at individual characters has been excellent. One thing that was done negatively was the flashback with Nicky involved. We didn't really get an in depth look as to what exactly happened - there was nothing new, I already knew of Nicky's drug abuse. Onto E07: I thought it started off well and ended well, though Chapman vs. the rest should have been further explored, considering she was seen more of a heel at the end of the last episode... Moving on... I liked the manner in which Janae was integrated back into the show. She has a hostile approach when dealing with people and is arguably the angriest inmate, but we get to know that she had a lot of potential, yet it was ruined by her actions. Healy looks like he's going to completely lose it (tension between him and inmats/his wife growing fast), so I'm expecting something big in the next couple of episodes.

MoneyMay

Only a few episodes left; I just finished S01E08 and S01E09.

I hope Pennsatucky gets what she deserves. The other inmates are likeable at times, but there's not one feature I like about her. She has become the villain in this season. Great acting by Taryn Manning.

Taystee won't be going for long. She won't fit in on the outside, she'll struggle, which will demonstrate the harsh realities of trying to start a "new" life after prison. Once you're caught up in the system, it's hard to get away from the controversy. You do what you gotta do to survive...

I expected something big to happen with regards to Healy. He erupted. Why is he protecting Piper? Is it because she reminds him of a relative? Or does he have some weird sexual fetish as Piper said? One thing's for sure though: Larry isn't going to like what Healy is going to tell him and he may cheat on her. With Piper, Larry was more of a sidekick. Without her, his profile has increased from writing what he knows about her or what he thinks he knows about her.

Alex and Piper's relationship has developed. They are back to being "friends" and we get to see the (sexual) tension increase primarily in these two episodes. This has only happened because of Larry's lie, so the next few episodes are going to be very interesting.

I believe these two episodes show how hard separation from the real world can be. The people on the outside need to earn money and, sometimes, writing a whole load of crap about the person you think you love is the only way to raise your profile, while maintaining some sort of integrity. And sometimes, your wife needs your blessing to date someone. These episodes also show how one can make rash decisions. The decisions made are beneficiary short-term wise (Piper and Alex relationship), but long-term wise these decisions will have severe consequences (Piper and Larry's relationship).

MoneyMay

I found this on reddit. It's from the real Piper Kerman. She answers questions from "fans". I think she puts things well, when she says:
Readers of the book will probably agree that there is a lot of internal conflict depicted there - and that I definitely avoided conflicts with COs and other prisoners (as is only sensible).

TV really needs external conflict, and that's one of the big differences (other than storyline differences) you'll see between the book and the show. A show that was very introspective would be boring to watch. A book with as much conflict as a TV show has would be unreadable.
The last couple of episodes were decent at best, but the final segment of season one was epic. I never expected Healy to go from being a father-like figure to the devil. I enjoyed the contrast in the final scene of the faux-angel, the devil (Healy), and the snow. That's the way I interpreted it. I wonder why he has this pathological hatred for Piper. Piper let Healy mess with her, she's the one that instigated part of this transition IMO. I thought that Mendez was horrible, vile, repugnant, but it turns out he's very soft, like Drake the rapper. Healy is a monster.

It was sad seeing Miss Claudette lose it. She did, after all, introduce herself to us by saying "Hope is a dangerous thing." She allowed herself to hope, hope that she can live a better life with the "love of her life". But hope is a dangerous thing, as the system caught up with her (parole refused) and now I suspect we won't see her again.

Piper finally let all the negative energy out. It was gradually building to a colossal scale. It was a fantastic ending. I'm not sure if anyone shares this opinion, but I did feel that there were some aggressiveness in Piper, which coincides with prison life and one of the main themes which is that prison life brings the realness out of people. There's no place to hide. She is spolit. She is a narcissist, hence switching from Larry to Alex, switching back to Larry, and then switching back to Alex before she wanted no more of her. The last scene portrayed how she's alone now, she's lost everything that meant something to her.

Well done to Netflix. The only fault of releasing everything at once is that you get the Christmas episode in the summer and so on... Ultimately season one is excellent. The last two episodes were a bit slow and could have been better, but the finale made up for that. I would give this show a solid 8/10. I really hope season two continues on in a similar manner and they don't screw this up. I'm glad I found this, but it could do with less of the lesbian scenes IMO. I'm not against gays... It just took away from the show - some of these scenes weren't needed.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
Super show, watched it in a week. Love how you got to know about the background of the different characters. Crazy eyes is class, really like Nicki too. Jason Biggs is essentially Jim from American Pie in it, an absolute nothing character.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah, I think this show is really under rated.

I wasn't much for Jason Biggs, but otherwise it was a good watch. The prison guard guy from The Wire is awesome - forgot his name. Crazy Eyes too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've watched 3 or 4 episodes and can't make my mind up. It seems like a show somewhere between a How I Met Your Mother and a Prison Break type series (what I'd call a proper series). It's a strange mix between light-hearted (I wouldn't say genuinely funny) and serious which so far has made it seem like more of a easy watch thing than something to get properly stuck into.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Full season will go up tomorow and it's getting good reviews from the critics who've watched 6 of them. Looking forward to it.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Good. I need a new show now that Mad Men is over and Boardwalk's 5th season doesn't start until September.

Like the first season. Hopefully, the second is as good or better.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Anybody watched Season 2? Thoughts?
Great followup to season 1, IMO. Had a bit more sinister feel to it, less comedy this time around but I thought it was smartly written along with the usually high level acting performances - it really is an outstanding cast

CircusMonkey

really enjoyed both seasons, although season 2 is better imo. The black characters were my favourite and thought some of their performances were outstanding. I don't really get the whole "tits and ass" attracting male viewers, I think the script and acting is more than enough for a male following.

Cina

really enjoyed both seasons, although season 2 is better imo. The black characters were my favourite and thought some of their performances were outstanding. I don't really get the whole "tits and ass" attracting male viewers, I think the script and acting is more than enough for a male following.
Obviously at times they've included the T&A to attract male viewers, as most shows do, but it's still a top show on its own and definitely not just geared towards the female audience. The inmates may be female but there's still loads of good male characters like Mendes and Caputo. Top show, it's the sort you can just binge watch and then forget about for another year.

Although the Asian bird in S2 has a crackin' body.

Oggmonster

I'd imagine it helps with some to be fair. It's not the be all and end all of the show but don't think people will complain about seeing it!

I preferred Series 2 to Series 1 personally, think it progressed a lot more and obviously with time and backstories the characters got far more interesting. I thought the best backstory was Poussey's, thought it was really well acted agree that Morello's was a good surprise story as well.

Not sure how they can keep the show going on to a good quality. Will probably decline somewhat but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
I've watched both seasons and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. I can't for for Season 3.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This has been a really good show and I have enjoyed both seasons so far. Hope it continues on this level

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Watching Season One at the moment (abotu 10 episodes in) ... its pretty good, not amazing or anything. I think one of the main problems I have is that Piper isn't a very strong or empathetic lead character... and a lot of the interest comes from the supporting crew.

Still, I'll be sticking with it.

Mad Winger

I love/hate the show.

I love the side-characters and the pacing. I hate Piper, her storyline and all the characters closest to her(her fiancée, her lesbian ex, and her "best friend").

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Actaully make that 9 episodes in... and the 9th episode was completely ridiculous and pretty terrible...

Oggmonster

I love/hate the show.

I love the side-characters and the pacing. I hate Piper, her storyline and all the characters closest to her(her fiancée, her lesbian ex, and her "best friend").
I don't know many people that like Piper!! I reckon they could potentially get rid of her and it wouldn't really affect the show, it's easy enough to switch the focus on to someone else and she just gets out of prison. The best episodes tend to be focused on the others anyway.

Seveneric

The seasons finale of season 2 was amazing for me. "Always so rude, that one" has to be one of my fave quotes of the season :lol:

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I've seen a few people say that it's the funniest episode so far. The only bit I didn't get in the episode was this. I don't understand what's funny about it?
That dance off with boo and crazy eyes was just too much.I was in tears.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I have been watching it the past couple of weeks and i think it is excellent. Great characters the lot of them.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It really is a great show. And I think Piper benefited in season 2 from becoming one in a collective, rather than being the focus of the show. I think that was wise, even though I don't find her as annoying as some. By far the best original Netflix show. I really enjoy being able to binge on the show straight away, but the wait between seasons just seems longer.