OranjeCafe: The Netherlands at the World Cup

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Oh yes! Bring on another glorious failure, that second half was impressive.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
they won that won game 5-1, so they'll win the whole thing now. #cafelogic

red_hatz

they won that won game 5-1, so they'll win the whole thing now. #cafelogic
I don't think they can win it purely because I still think they have mistakes in them and sneijder isnt very good anymore, but people were questioning their chances of getting through the group, massively underrating them
one extreme to the other it seems lol

Code_Red

One of the best world cup performances I have ever seen from a team, individually a large number of that starting eleven aren't on Spain's level but as a team they completely dismantled Spain. I can't wait to see what van Gaal does with our squad next season.

Empire

Expect a lot of kneejerk reactions about the Van Gaal appointment when they don't get out of this group (even though they would be overachieving if they did). Chile will win all 3 matches.
Would you consider beating spain 5 - 1 overachieving?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The best way to destroy the current world champions on the biggest stage is always to play a half arsed friendly against Wales and look gash in doing so. Crucial preparation.

Firstouch20

This Dutch team reminds me of Van Gaals great Ajax team in the 90s. Van Persie is their Jari Litmanen, Robben is their Overmars and then you have a young viberant and fearless team following the lead of the older maestro's. Blind, Matins Indi, Janmaat and Depay will emerge as major players after this world cup imo.

Empire

This Dutch team reminds me of Van Gaals great Ajax team in the 90s. Van Persie is their Jari Litmanen, Robben is their Overmars and then you have a young viberant and fearless team following the lead of the older maestro's. Blind, Matins Indi, Janmaat and Depay will emerge as major players after this world cup imo.
Who is Kluivert?

Moriarty

One of the best world cup performances I have ever seen from a team, individually a large number of that starting eleven aren't on Spain's level but as a team they completely dismantled Spain. I can't wait to see what van Gaal does with our squad next season.
It was a great performance all right but Spain looked pretty poor. Still, I suppose you can only beat what's in front of you.

Dutchjerry

Great picture...

It was an amazing performance yesterday. Bruno Martins Indi told the press that van Gaal went crazy during half time and gave them a very passionate and motivating speech.

RedStarUnited

Hope they dont peak too early. Most tournament winners grow in to it, these early peaking teams always get found out eventually.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sneijder should not be a starter for the Netherlands. He offers little threat, and is very poor defensively. It feels like they lack energy in this side, I would play Depay instead of him.
They got away with the result but Australia were very good today.

RVP's hold-up play is class.

imperi

Sneijder should not be a starter for the Netherlands. He offers little threat, and is very poor defensively. It feels like they lack energy in this side, I would play Depay instead of him.

Depay, an attacker instead of Sneijder central midfielder? Was not the best match for Sneijder though tactics for the first half were wrong. The first half the Netherlands played bad. Second half he was much better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They have really average team, even knockout round in this group is good result with this team IMO, and they have managed to get it already and to embarrass World Champions in process. You have two world class players in van Persie and Robben and really average bunch of players behind them, so fair feck to them.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Sneijder's lack of energy did tell in the first half when the Oranje didn't have anyone available to pass the ball to and instead had to boot it forward. Plus, Sneijder was sloppy early on when under pressure from the Australians.

However, when van Gaal went to a 4-3-3, Sneijder became more influential as he was afforded more space to do the damage. Still, his lack of energy meant that he couldn't impose himself on the match like he used to down the years.

I still believe he's very useful as part of the front 3 in that he can find Robben and van Persie and release a quick out ball forward.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
They have really average team, even knockout round in this group is good result with this team IMO, and they have managed to get it already and to embarrass World Champions in process. You have two world class players in van Persie and Robben and really average bunch of players behind them, so fair feck to them.
Their lack of proper central midfielders is very worrying. They have two attacking midfielders in de Guzman and Wijnaldum often playing in central midfield, and they are exposed when playing in central midfield. I would contemplate bringing on Clasie if things don't work out for de Guzman and Wijnaldum as he's a proper central midfielder, at least.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Their team isn't actually all that good. Punching above their weight so far and overly reliant on the system working perfectly and their few key attackers. Still, I do enjoy watching them play.

Sb_16

They've got only 2 class players. Both have a history of injuries and one looks to be limping in both games. (Though it could be the chronic groin pain that RVP talked about)

Their defence is not looking assured and RVP is unavailable against Chile.
They need a draw to top the group which is difficult with that defence. They have to score in that game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Their game with Chile should be an exciting one, both teams going for the top spot, both teams very poor defensively, but Netherlands missing Van Persie. Most probably will be a draw but with Chile's fans and how determined they seem, it wouldn't surprise me to see them top the group.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
Their game with Chile should be an exciting one, both teams going for the top spot, both teams very poor defensively, but Netherlands missing Van Persie. Most probably will be a draw but with Chile's fans and how determined they seem, it wouldn't surprise me to see them top the group.
I think Chile will beat holland and top the group.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Would be interesting to see how both teams would line up. As much as either of them would want to top the group, I think resting a couple of players would also be back on their minds. And we will have to wait and see how LvG plans the team now that RvP is suspended for the next match. Maybe Huntelaar coming in? Also, could see Clasie instead of de Guzman.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Don't think they'll go very far in the knock-outs. Do not seem to have enough quality in their ranks to make a serious dent. Beating the current world champions 5-1 will most likely to be the highlight of their world cup.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Don't think they'll go very far in the knock-outs. Do not seem to have enough quality in their ranks to make a serious dent. Beating the current world champions 5-1 will most likely to be the highlight of their world cup.
If they finish top of the group, they would face Croatia/Mexico and then most probably Italy. After that who knows!

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
If they finish top of the group, they would face Croatia/Mexico and then most probably Italy. After that who knows!
You are right, anything is possible. I just don't see them progressing too far with the quality of their midfield and defense. They give teams a lot of chances. Will have to tighten up at the back to progress far in the knock-outs, which apparently isn't Van Gaal's philosophy.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
They remind of Van Basten's team at Euro2008. A great attacking side that doesn't have enough to see out the tournament. They have to improve defensively if they want to survive the tournament. A well organised side like Italy or Germany could find a way to beat them.

Dutchjerry

Van Bastens team played marvellous football, this time they don't. After the loss of Spain yesterday you should put the 5-1 win in other perspective, Spain was more bad than Holland was good.

Sneijder played awful yesterday, RvP dodged a red card, but the chances they did get they finished, just like against Spain.
And the defence is not that bad, de Jong is very important. They dont give away that much chances, from the three goals conceded 2 were penalty's (cheap ones also) and the one from Cahill was a world class strike.