Orkun Kokcu

avgp_1

Reminds me a lot of Eriksen in that he is always looking to create when he gets on the ball, might lose it a few times as well as he is probably the driving force of the team.

Just believe Enzo Le Fee is the better fit cause of his all-round work rate while being quality on the ball

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I believe you need to learn the meaning of professionalism it's a voluntary gesture and somebody who is taking knee as statement against racism could still very well be racist and a person refusing to take knee doesn't automatically become racist either it's much more nuanced then that .
You're allowed to have whatever opinion you want to have, especially if you keep it to yourself. I don't know much about the situation here but just because someone who is Muslim chooses not to support that, doesn't mean anything other than he's just following his religion. Does he go out and actively protest against it? Does he publicly shit on it and support people being oppressed? Many differences to just not publicly supporting a cause he doesn't believe in because of his religion.

Edit: just read the article. Ffs guys. He gave a perfectly valid explanation. He said he respects everyone and believes everyone is free to do what they want. He just can't wear a rainbow armband because of his own personal religious beliefs, but is entirely supportive of everyone being free to do their own thing. Really? We're at that point in society where you are going to hate on that now? Basically you just hate the entire Muslim world if that's the case, which is far worse.
Agree

Red Star One

Reportedly refused to wear rainbow armband.

Wouldn't be into that myself, especially if Qatar taking over. Sends a bit of a shite message.
It sends an awful message and if we refuse to bring Greenwood back, rightly thinking about the message it sends and how uncomfortable some at the club would be having such person around, it would be completely hypocritical to sign an open homophobe. Do you think any LGBT players from our academy or other teams would like to join the dressing room where there’s a guy thinking his religious views are reason enough to deny human rights to a group of people? What about the LGBT fans, do you think they’d be comfortable with such dud in United shirt? Do not want, go express your religious freedom in a country that’s fine repressing minorities, if European values bother you so much that you can’t put a rainbow piece of cloth, perhaps you ended up in a wrong place.

Grande

and maybe it's not that someone doesn't like gays. Only what a person's sexual orientation is is his private matter and it is not nice to flaunt it or support organizations that promote it. football should be far from politics and worldview.
I think it’s important to be aware of the fact that there are millions of people in the world that will not let people live how they want, but actually kill, bully, use violence against and sabotage the lives of people with different orientations. This happens in every country in the world, and is well documented. Most people in the world are not like this, but that doesn’t protect people from the people who are. LBGTQ rights is not about flaunting, it is about rights, more specifically the right not to be targetted, mistreated or even imprisoned or killed for who you are. If not for several million bullies in the world, there would be no need for it.

zaafi

I think it’s important to be aware of the fact that there are millions of people in the world that will not let people live how they want, but actually kill, bully, use violence against and sabotage the lives of people with different orientations. This happens in every country in the world, and is well documented. Most people in the world are not like this, but that doesn’t protect people from the people who are. LBGTQ rights is not about flaunting, it is about rights, more specifically the right not to be targetted, mistreated or even imprisoned or killed for who you are. If not for several million bullies in the world, there would be no need for it.
Stop talking sense in here. Poor Orkun's religious belief is a lot more important than these people's rights, according to some posters here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It sends an awful message and if we refuse to bring Greenwood back, rightly thinking about the message it sends and how uncomfortable some at the club would be having such person around, it would be completely hypocritical to sign an open homophobe. Do you think any LGBT players from our academy or other teams would like to join the dressing room where there’s a guy thinking his religious views are reason enough to deny human rights to a group of people? What about the LGBT fans, do you think they’d be comfortable with such dud in United shirt? Do not want, go express your religious freedom in a country that’s fine repressing minorities, if European values bother you so much that you can’t put a rainbow piece of cloth, perhaps you ended up in a wrong place.
Read the actual article and what he said before judging someone maybe. He is fully supportive of everyone being free to do what they want, but also because of his religious beliefs didn't want to be promoting something that is against his beliefs. Had no problem with someone else wearing the armband or being in the team or people living what they want.

Anyone having an issue with someone just peacefully having his own views and not pushing it on someone else, is a much bigger problem.

AjaxNL

Erm...freedom of choice?
What utter BS this is. Freedom of choice?! If he chooses to be intolerant towards a minority, there's no freedom of choice there, or at least there shouldn't be. It's not as if you can say, you either support the LGBT community or not, it's freedom of choice. It's really not, since the former is a discriminatory position to take. 70 years ago, there was this guy wanting to terminate an entire race, it's also not 'freedom of choice' to either support him or not. There's only freedom of choice if both choices mean no harm is done to any other group/race/gender, etc. Once there's one choice that is actually hurtful to other groups, there's no more freedom of choice.

SAF is the GOAT

@KirkDuyt

How do you think he'll cope with the intensity in the prem ? currently he has so much time on the ball in the Dutch league but in the prem he won't have that. How's his press resistance ?

45m ? you sold your best player in Sinisterra to Leeds for 22m and that fee was your all time record, sounds weird.

bosnian_red

Kokcu said: “I have decided not to wear the rainbow captain's armband this round.

“I think it's important to emphasise that I respect everyone regardless of religion, background or preference. I believe that everyone is free to do what they want or feel. I fully understand the importance of this action, but because of my religious beliefs, I don't feel the right person to support this.

“That's why I don't feel comfortable wearing this captain's armband. I can imagine some people are disappointed with this. That is absolutely not my intention, although I realise that I may not immediately be able to take away that feeling with these words. But I hope that my choice for religious reasons will also be respected.”

Like really? People are upset about this? Calm the feck down. Everyone in the world has differing opinions and are entitled to them provided they aren't hurting anyone and respect that others are free to have their own too. Which is what he clearly says here.

STYLOISRED

While I understand what you are saying. I don't think it is right to expect everyone to show support in equal measure. We as humans have biases and carry some form of prejudice whether we accept it or not. Forcing people to conform to what we believe in equal measure isn't really fair is it?? Not everybody is going to be comfortable with the idea of homosexuality no matter how mainstream it becomes. As long as he doesn't disrespect them or antagonize them, I see no reason to get worked up over his refusal to wear an armband.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
What a load of rubbish in this thread, mods, please do something.

Red Star One

Anyone having an issue with someone just peacefully having his own views and not pushing it on someone else, is a much bigger problem.
Well I can tell you I definitely have issues with people expressing their discriminatory views even if they do it in the most peaceful and PR-polished manner. Also, as already mentioned here, if you’re so offended by the rainbow peace of cloth and it’s so much against your religion, but you have willingly moved to the Netherlands and fully accept promoting alcohol and gambling on your shirts, for me that’s cherry picking and I can’t take such person seriously

jem

So you're actually cancelling him because he doesn't support your world view. What's the difference?

Also all this statement really contradicts to your open for all, forward thinking. What's the point? really.

Imagine a world in the future where Muslims is the minority, and PL created an armband to support muslims. A player refused to wear it, cancel him too?
If the armband represented muslins having the right to exist free of prejudice and a player refused to wear it, then yes they should be condemned.

Red Star One

If the armband represented muslins having the right to exist free of prejudice and a player refused to wear it, then yes they should be condemned.
100% and it’s such and obvious answer to a question asked millions of times, yet the extremists always seem to be perplexed :lol:

justsomebloke

Read the actual article and what he said before judging someone maybe. He is fully supportive of everyone being free to do what they want, but also because of his religious beliefs didn't want to be promoting something that is against his beliefs. Had no problem with someone else wearing the armband or being in the team or people living what they want.

Right. Like a lot of other players who trot out the exact same formula. The trouble with it is that it's bullshit. Designed not to mean anything, but to minimise the negative fallout from the action by sounding conciliatory. The reason it's bullshit is that if he actually respects everyone and believes everyone should be free to live as they want, then his religion is no reason not to wear an armband making that exact statement. If it is, then he doesn't actually believe everyone should be free to live as they want.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What a load of rubbish in this thread, mods, please do something.
I see a lot of discussion here that's generally fairly respectful towards other posters. What's the rubbish exactly and what would you expect the mods to do? If it's individual posts, please report them. (That's genuinely appreciated; the mods can't read and notice everything.) Don't expect the mods to shut down non-football discussion though, that's never their approach.

redcucumber

I don't understand why one's religion would prohibit them from wearing an armband that promoted equal rights for another human being. Seems odd.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I'm sorry but this again is a cop out and skirting round that what he thinks is bigoted. What does "against his beliefs" mean exactly? Hes intentionally vague because we all know it would boil down to he thinks homosexuality is morally wrong, which fly's in the face of what he caveated his reasoning with.

@justsomebloke, couldn't agree more.

DevTheRed

Getting back to football, he seems quite similar to FDJ after a quick look at FBref. Similar progressive passes, progressive carries and attempted passes.. Kokcu seems to have better attacking output scoring and assisting more whilst FDJ seems a bit more conservative on the ball.

bosnian_red

Well I can tell you I definitely have issues with people expressing their discriminatory views even if they do it in the most peaceful and PR-polished manner. Also, as already mentioned here, if you’re so offended by the rainbow peace of cloth and it’s so much against your religion, but you have willingly moved to the Netherlands and fully accept promoting alcohol and gambling on your shirts, for me that’s cherry picking and I can’t take such person seriously
Right. Like a lot of other players who trot out the exact same formula. The trouble with it is that it's bullshit. Designed not to mean anything, but to minimise the negative fallout from the action by sounding conciliatory. The reason it's bullshit is that if he actually respects everyone and believes everyone should be free to live as they want, then his religion is no reason not to wear an armband making that exact statement. If it is, then he doesn't actually believe everyone should be free to live as they want.
I'm sorry but this again is a cop out and skirting round that what he thinks is bigoted. What does "against his beliefs" mean exactly? Hes intentionally vague because we all know it would boil down to he thinks homosexuality is morally wrong, which fly's in the face of what he caveated his reasoning with.

@justsomebloke, couldn't agree more.
He says that he thinks its a message that would mean more coming from somebody else. Naturally, as he's a Muslim. Against his beliefs means that it isn't allowed in Islam. Is the only acceptable thing for you guys for everyone to convert away from their own religion? Very accepting. He is allowed to have his own beliefs. Even if somebody's opinion is shit in your opinion, he is allowed to have it. His beliefs you may not agree with, but he is entitled to them. He didn't say anything wrong - he said somebody else should wear the armband for support as he would be seen as hypocritical no matter what. Hypocritical for his religion, from his country, etc.

I'm sorry but if you take offense to what he said, then you're just as bad as the anti LGBT people who openly hate on them. Because you're openly hating on and not respecting or allowing someone to have their own beliefs where they do it peacefully and don't even talk about it apart from when put in a position to act against it, beliefs shared by a lot of the Muslim (and other religious people fwiw) world (which encompasses almost 2 billion people at a quick google search...).

I don't agree with his views - but again, it's far more important that everyone is allowed to have their own beliefs, so long as they don't push it on others. Doesn't make them a shit person. Just means they were raised with certain beliefs, but i think staying true to how they were raised while respecting everyone has the freedom to do what they want with themselves is a very positive mindset.

SAFMUTD

I don't understand why one's religion would prohibit them from wearing an armband that promoted equal rights for another human being. Seems odd.
Yeah let's all play dumb and pretend we have no idea about the issues Muslim religion have with LGBTQ+

SAFMUTD

Regarding him not wanting to wear rainbow armband it's not a big deal for me. Not wearing it doesn't mean he's homophobic, he hasn't said or done anything against LGBTQ community as far as I know. It's not like he came out and said "I hate those people".

Yet some posters here want our football club and players to be the biggest moral compass for society. We're a football club not a church or civil rights movement.

bosnian_red

Regarding him not wanting to wear rainbow armband it's not a big deal for me. Not wearing it doesn't mean he's homophobic, he hasn't said or done anything against LGBTQ community as far as I know. It's not like he came out and said "I hate those people".

Yet some posters here want our football club and players to be the biggest moral compass for society. We're a football club not a church or civil rights movement.
I'm sure some people would want to make sure there are 0 practising Muslims part of United as well by the logic people are going on here. Guy says "would be a better gesture if it came from someone else" and people on here losing their shit and calling him bigoted now ffs.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He says that he thinks its a message that would mean more coming from somebody else. Naturally, as he's a Muslim. Against his beliefs means that it isn't allowed in Islam. Is the only acceptable thing for you guys for everyone to convert away from their own religion? Very accepting. He is allowed to have his own beliefs. Even if somebody's opinion is shit in your opinion, he is allowed to have it. His beliefs you may not agree with, but he is entitled to them. He didn't say anything wrong - he said somebody else should wear the armband for support as he would be seen as hypocritical no matter what. Hypocritical for his religion, from his country, etc.

I'm sorry but if you take offense to what he said, then you're just as bad as the anti LGBT people who openly hate on them. Because you're openly hating on and not respecting or allowing someone to have their own beliefs where they do it peacefully and don't even talk about it apart from when put in a position to act against it, beliefs shared by a lot of the Muslim (and other religious people fwiw) world (which encompasses almost 2 billion people at a quick google search...).
What an infantile argument. People aren't entitled to a belief without criticism, how old are you? Especially if said belief paints a percentage of the population as morally wrong for their sexuality.

He is more than entitled to say what he actually thinks about homosexuality and see how that goes down in the public, instead he uses religion as cover.

I'm sure some people would want to make sure there are 0 practising Muslims part of United as well by the logic people are going on here. Guy says "would be a better gesture if it came from someone else" and people on here losing their shit and calling him bigoted now ffs.
How predictable. So to be a practicing Muslim you have to be against homosexuality?

Smores

Exactly what do you think is being promoted by it?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
What an infantile argument. People aren't entitled to a belief without criticism, how old are you?
There are literally people in this thread who think he shouldn’t be signed because he didn’t wear an armband. That goes beyond criticism and for me is a pretty ridiculous route to go down. Should all prospective future signings be asked to complete a western morality test in future? Can we ban the signing of Tories too?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There are literally people in this thread who think he shouldn’t be signed because he didn’t wear an armband. That goes beyond criticism and for me is a pretty ridiculous route to go down. Should all prospective future signings be asked to complete a western morality test in future? Can we ban the signing of Tories too?
Why is it a "western morality test" to not be against homosexuality? Isn't that just a normal decency test? If you did it with any other group, we'd all label it discriminatory. It's also not about the armband, it's about his reasoning behind not wearing it is discriminatory.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@KirkDuyt

How do you think he'll cope with the intensity in the prem ? currently he has so much time on the ball in the Dutch league but in the prem he won't have that. How's his press resistance ?

45m ? you sold your best player in Sinisterra to Leeds for 22m and that fee was your all time record, sounds weird.
We sold Sinisterra for 25 which can go up to something like 34 I think. Kokcu is far more important and he'll leave after we've won the league so I just hope we can get 45. I mean, Chelsea paid, what, 45 million for Madueke who has been healthy for about 5 games in 2 seasons. Though he's of course English.

The intensity is something he'll have to adjust to as I said above CM is a tricky position in that regard. He's very strong and press resistant here and I think he will adapt, bit will he be there from day 1, no idea.

bosnian_red

Why is it a "western morality test" to not be against homosexuality? Isn't that just a normal decency test? If you did it with any other group, we'd all label it discriminatory. It's also not about the armband, it's about his reasoning behind not wearing it is discriminatory.
There is a difference with being against it, and not wanting to be the one on the team to wear the armband supporting it. For countless of legitimate reasons. That is all we know. And it's a reasonable view from him.

bosnian_red

Exactly what do you think is being promoted by it?
Promoted by what? People who criticize Kokcu because he chose to not be the one to wear the armband? It is lacking any respect for someone else's private opinions and private beliefs, private choices. He is Turkish. He is Muslim. Ever think he just doesn't want to be the one wearing the armband promoting it on his team? Even if he is pro-LGBTQ, maybe he would rather not say his opinion loudly or wear it on his arm and be the face of the movement because of views his country or family might have, and the backlash that might give him?

justsomebloke

I don't agree with his views - but again, it's far more important that everyone is allowed to have their own beliefs, so long as they don't push it on others. Doesn't make them a shit person. Just means they were raised with certain beliefs, but i think staying true to how they were raised while respecting everyone has the freedom to do what they want with themselves is a very positive mindset.
Bullshit.

I'm simply pointing out that his statement is self-contradictory. It's a cop-out. It's not that I don't agree with his views, it's that he very obviously tries to avoid having to have one. With a statement that is practically word for word the same one used by numerous other athletes who have taken a similar stance, and which is obviously written by some PR professional whose strategic communication task is to make the action (ie, refusing to participate) as uncontroversial and undamaging as possible to his client. The result is gibberish, and there is nothing to agree or disagree with.

If he believes it's opposed to his religion - which it is people's right to think, but which also is not self-evidently the case, there are plenty of religious people who are tolerant on this matter - then he can't claim to respect everyone's right to live as they wish, because the point of religious faith he evokes is that they can't, and shouldn't be allowed to. If that's what he thinks, he could have said so. Then there would certainly have been an issue of tolerance to be discussed - both his, and other people's for his religious views. But instead he tries to pretend that he can have it both ways.

There are a couple of other things the statement could mean, if you take it seriously enough to consider its words at their own merit. One is that he's prepared to be personally tolerant, but not to publicly challenge the orthodox view of his religion. Another is that he just can't be arsed about the whole issue. Of course, that wouldn't come across as particularly impressive to most.

So, he ends up with a bullshit PR statement that says everything and nothing. No one has ever deserved to be met with tolerance or respect for taking that path.

Andre Kagawa

Bullshit.

I'm simply pointing out that his statement is self-contradictory. It's a cop-out. It's not that I don't agree with his views, it's that he very obviously tries to avoid having to have one. With a statement that is practically word for word the same one used by numerous other athletes who have taken a similar stance, and which is obviously written by some PR professional whose strategic communication task is to make the action (ie, refusing to participate) as uncontroversial and undamaging as possible to his client. The result is gibberish, and there is nothing to agree or disagree with.

If he believes it's opposed to his religion - which it is people's right to think, but which also is not self-evidently the case, there are plenty of religious people who are tolerant on this matter - then he can't claim to respect everyone's right to live as they wish, because the point of religious faith he evokes is that they can't, and shouldn't be allowed to. If that's what he thinks, he could have said so. Then there would certainly have been an issue of tolerance to be discussed - both his, and other people's for his religious views. But instead he tries to pretend that he can have it both ways.

There are a couple of other things the statement could mean, if you take it seriously enough to consider its words at their own merit. One is that he's prepared to be personally tolerant, but not to publicly challenge the orthodox view of his religion. Another is that he just can't be arsed about the whole issue. Of course, that wouldn't come across as particularly impressive to most.

So, he ends up with a bullshit PR statement that says everything and nothing. No one has ever deserved to be met with tolerance or respect for taking that path.
Good post.

bosnian_red

What an infantile argument. People aren't entitled to a belief without criticism, how old are you? Especially if said belief paints a percentage of the population as morally wrong for their sexuality.

He is more than entitled to say what he actually thinks about homosexuality and see how that goes down in the public, instead he uses religion as cover.

How predictable. So to be a practicing Muslim you have to be against homosexuality?
People are entitled to a belief, period. You don't get to force yours on somebody else, you don't get to force somebody else to protest a cause they don't believe in. That is it.

He says that he doesn't want to be the one to wear the arm band because of his religious beliefs. That isn't using religion as a cover... It's literally not allowed to be gay/trans in Islam. So is the only acceptable thing in your opinion for all Muslim people to basically toss their religion aside? Come on. You can be a good person and have your own beliefs while respecting everyone else has their own beliefs too. Nobody is being forced to do one thing or another, he just chooses not to join in on the protest. Literally all it is, and all he says.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There is a difference with being against it, and not wanting to be the one on the team to wear the armband supporting it. For countless of legitimate reasons. That is all we know. And it's a reasonable view from him.
There literally isn't, you can't just say vague things and think that's a real debate. You actually have to state these legitimate reasons that aren't discriminatory.

I hesitate to do this, as I'm not gay, but imagine in this instance I am. Am I supposed to support the club and someone who wouldn't support a cause that is trying to stop me being discriminated against, on the grounds they think my existence is morally wrong? Just because they cite religion?

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Bullshit.

Again, what the feck is the problem with someone not wanting to be the face of a protest? What the feck? Is "join in on our protest or you're a shit human being" the only option now? Talk about a lack of tolerance. It can be literally ANY reason, and he sure as feck doesn't have to tell the world what his own reasons are. That's called keeping your own beliefs private, which he sure as feck is entitled to do unless you prefer to go down a "they must wear their badge to identify themselves" sort of route. Because that's gone down well in the past.

So what if it is a PR statement. He said what he said and that's all we can go on, which is that everyone is free to do what they want, and he chooses not to be the person wearing the arm band supporting a cause. Nobody should be forced to protest a cause, even if they do believe in it. Freedom of choice, freedom of beliefs.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Potentially the first Turkish player to play for United?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Looks like an exciting player and just the type we need. I can’t think about transfers until the sale of the club goes through because it doesn’t make sense. But as a player he looks very good.

bosnian_red

There literally isn't, you can't just say vague things and think that's a real debate. You actually have to state these legitimate reasons that aren't discriminatory.

I hesitate to do this, as I'm not gay, but imagine in this instance I am. Am I supposed to support the club and someone who wouldn't support a cause that is trying to stop me being discriminated against, on the grounds they think my existence is morally wrong? Just because they cite religion?
So if you were gay hypothetically, would you ever support a practising Muslim player?

Also, you're wildly assuming there based on feck all. The only thing that was said, was that he chooses not to be the one on the team to wear it. There is nothing wrong with that. And what do you mean vague things? Somebody might agree with the cause but just not want to be the face of a political movement. Muslim player wears rainbow armband celebrating gay rights I'm sure is a headline that would go down very well with MANY in his home country. He didn't say he is against it. He said he didn't want to wear the armband supporting it and it would mean more from someone else. He doesn't have to state anything. He is allowed to make a choice and have his beliefs private. That's all there is, that is a basic right that should be allowed to everyone. He never says otherwise.