Orkun Kokcu

TheReligion

Abusive
Everything in life needs KirkDuyt, I'm the Dutch Jesus after all.

I was a bit late to board the Kökcü train. Always thought he was a decent, but unspectacular prospect. This season (and last as well) he has really stepped up however and is far and away our most important player. He directs our play from the back, but unlike Frenkie (not saying he's better than Frenkie mind you), is also very effective in the final third with exceptional final or pre-assist passes. Scores often for a central midfielder and his work rate both defensively and offensively is very impressive. He's not as @DWelbz19 suspects a 10 masquerading as a CM though (though he does wear the nr 10 jersey), he's definitely a central midfielder. I'm very keen to see how he'll do against Roma. If he is as dominant against them as he's been all year, he will confirm his status as future star. I fully expect another Mourinho bore-out masterclass though, since we tend to concede silly goals early in matches only to come back and win them anyway, but conceding early is about the worst thing you can do against a Mou-side.

You lot should also watch Santiago Gimenez in that game. My new favorite player in the world :wenger:

Oh and about refusing the One Love armband, yes it's because of his faith. I personally don't accept faith as a basis of discrimination, but as far as this goes he's been respectful about it and I can imagine it's a bit of a shite situation to be in as a lot of people in your community might shun you for wearing it. Burak Yilmaz on the other hand had no qualms about wearing one, but feck me, there's been so much discussion about this in The Netherland, I won't bring it here too.
Apparently United were watching Gimenez too according to reports

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Apparently United were watching Gimenez too according to reports
He needs to stay another year and play CL with us though. Because I want to, and because he needs to spend some time in the gym, since he weighs about 65 kilo and will get bullied in the prem.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ten Hag contacts Kokcu

Erik ten Hag has reportedly contacted Feyenoord midfielder Orkun Kokcu over a summer move to Manchester United.
According to respected Feyenoord source 1908.nl, Ten Hag has approached Kokcu as he looks to boost his midfield this summer.
It comes just days after English reports claimed that United scouts had visited the Netherlands to watch the 22-year-old Turkey international in action.

Oranges038

Erm...freedom of choice?
Eh...There's no such thing when it comes to this.

I think it's quite funny that people don't see the irony/hypocrisy of people being or feeling forced to support tolerance and acceptance of something that goes against their own belief system. Or the irony of being against signing him just because he stood up for what he believes in.

At the end of the day. It's a coloured piece of cloth that in reality has become nothing more than a token gesture, just to say, "look we are doing something". The world cup nonsense over it just proved that.

As for this player, if he's good enough and ETH wants to sign him, them I'm all for it. He knows what he wants and he's got to be supported in signing players if we means we no longer have to put up with Fred and McT in midfield.

Vabelico

I was a bit late to board the Kökcü train. Always thought he was a decent, but unspectacular prospect. This season (and last as well) he has really stepped up however and is far and away our most important player. He directs our play from the back, but unlike Frenkie (not saying he's better than Frenkie mind you), is also very effective in the final third with exceptional final or pre-assist passes. Scores often for a central midfielder and his work rate both defensively and offensively is very impressive. He's not as @DWelbz19 suspects a 10 masquerading as a CM though (though he does wear the nr 10 jersey), he's definitely a central midfielder. I'm very keen to see how he'll do against Roma. If he is as dominant against them as he's been all year, he will confirm his status as future star. I fully expect another Mourinho bore-out masterclass though, since we tend to concede silly goals early in matches only to come back and win them anyway, but conceding early is about the worst thing you can do against a Mou-side.

You lot should also watch Santiago Gimenez in that game. My new favorite player in the world :wenger:

Oh and about refusing the One Love armband, yes it's because of his faith. I personally don't accept faith as a basis of discrimination, but as far as this goes he's been respectful about it and I can imagine it's a bit of a shite situation to be in as a lot of people in your community might shun you for wearing it. Burak Yilmaz on the other hand had no qualms about wearing one, but feck me, there's been so much discussion about this in The Netherland, I won't bring it here too.
If you support lgbt, that's your business. let people live as they want, what they want to assume and what not, because then you become the persecutor. I wouldn't wear armband just because someone wants to. It's enough that in England they kneel, the rest of Europe grabs their head when they see it

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

This was last night. The 4-0 and especially 5-0 are very Kocku (and also Gimenez).

Not sure NOS can be watched abroad?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If you support lgbt, that's your business. let people live as they want, what they want to assume and what not, because then you become the persecutor. I wouldn't wear armband just because someone wants to. It's enough that in England they kneel, the rest of Europe grabs their head when they see it
See this is my argument exactly when people cite old religious books saying it's not okay to be gay.

But as I said, I'm sick of discussing it. Yes I agree. With everything.

Telsim

4 weeks ago this guy made a video why he is an alternative to FDJ.
Sounds like exactly what we need. He should be fairly cheap, opening the way for Caicedo. Get both and our midfield will be :drool:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sounds like exactly what we need. He should be fairly cheap, opening the way for Caicedo. Get both and our midfield will be :drool:
Define cheap. You're not getting him for less than 45 million you cheapskates. You paid about 750 million for Antony after all :wenger:

Though I guess 45 million is sort of cheap in this market.

Telsim

Define cheap. You're not getting him for less than 45 million you cheapskates. You paid about 750 million for Antony after all :wenger:

Though I guess 45 million is sort of cheap in this market.
€45M? It's a deal! Some of it could be counted towards Malacia as well. ;)

Vabelico

See this is my argument exactly when people cite old religious books saying it's not okay to be gay.

and maybe it's not that someone doesn't like gays. Only what a person's sexual orientation is is his private matter and it is not nice to flaunt it or support organizations that promote it. football should be far from politics and worldview.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Reportedly refused to wear rainbow armband.

Wouldn't be into that myself, especially if Qatar taking over. Sends a bit of a shite message.
Like him, but didn't know about the rainbow armband incident. He is only 22, so I'd like to think it's just down to immaturity and his environment, but I don't fancy having someone with those sort of views on the team.
I never understand why people can’t just respect others’ belief. Some Christian and Muslim have this belief that you must be blessed what you have been given by their god. Those same people who are against to wear rainbow armband usually believe if the person is given by god to be male then the person has to be gratitude with what he has been given. I don’t believe refusing to wear rainbow armband should be called sending shite message or immaturity. This society needs to understand the reason why those people are against it and the society shouldn’t call that as negative.

Kokcu can join if ten Hag wants him. I’m not going to against the idea to accept people who are refusing the rainbow armband and we shouldn’t disrespect others’ belief.

El Jefe

Wow you don't think a player from the Eredivisie is overrated and not that good, we need to be all over this lad :lol:

Will keep an eye on him in the Roma games.

zaafi

I never understand why people can’t just respect others’ belief. Some Christian and Muslim have this belief that you must be blessed what you have been given by their god. Those same people who are against to wear rainbow armband usually believe if the person is given by god to be male then the person has to be gratitude with what he has been given. I don’t believe refusing to wear rainbow armband should be called sending shite message or immaturity. This society needs to understand the reason why those people are against it and the society shouldn’t call that as negative.

Kokcu can join if ten Hag wants him. I’m not going to against the idea to accept people who are refusing the rainbow armband and we shouldn’t disrespect others’ belief.
People don't care about their reasons behind it, it's odd and in some countries it's a death sentence to be gay. I don't respect that and never will.
The worst part is some of these players that cry about racism, simultaneously hate gays. Pathetic behaviour.

NLunited

Tricky situation for me. I fully understand the implications of wearing a OneLove armband for certain religious communities, but there are implications for not wearing it as well. Which is worse?

I‘m siding against discrimination. I‘d love to hear another statement from Kokçu about this. I‘m not sure his decision would fly in the Premier League.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
People don't care about their reasons behind it, it's odd and in some countries it's a death sentence to be gay. I don't respect that and never will.
The worst part is some of these players that cry about racism, simultaneously hate gays. Pathetic behaviour.
There is no indication that Kokcu wants gays to be killed. Religious people also believe in forgiveness rather than solve problem with killing. I know Kokcu’s background is Turkish and Turkey is Muslim country. Based on that, I can predict that he chose to believe his religion that he should feel gratitude with what god has given to him hence why he doesn’t believe with lgbt because in some religious people, they view lgbt is like against what god had given you or refuse to feel gratitude with what god had given to you. To me society needs to be more open to some of these people why they refuse to wear the rainbow armband, it can be totally different to racism.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
and maybe it's not that someone doesn't like gays. Only what a person's sexual orientation is is his private matter and it is not nice to flaunt it or support organizations that promote it. football should be far from politics and worldview.
You should really read up a little bit about the Pride movement, it's not about what you think. They're not "promoting a sexual orientation", they're sending a message that it's ok to be who you are (yes people are born that way), and most importantly of all, a message that it's not ok to persecute people for their sexual orientation or identity.

It's important for trans, gay, bi etc teenagers not to feel like they are alone (go and look up some suicide statistics for them), it's important to see value and strength in diversity rather than fear, and most of all it's important to tell bullies that their behaviour is unacceptable.

I've never been to a Pride march or got involved with any charities or anything so you can call me a hypocrite if you like, but if all you have to do is wear a little piece of cloth to stand up against discrimination and support people who suffer a lot all around the world, it should be an easy decision. I do appreciate the context is difficult as it's not a well accepted view in much of Turkey I've no doubt, and I have sympathy with this lad, but I don't really have sympathy for people in Europe who choose to remain ignorant about what Pride is about.

Bestietom

Yes, we need to bring in a couple of young players to our midfield. Veiga is another I like.

zaafi

There is no indication that Kokcu wants gays to be killed. Religious people also believe in forgiveness rather than solve problem with killing. I know Kokcu’s background is Turkish and Turkey is Muslim country. Based on that, I can predict that he chose to believe his religion that he should feel gratitude with what god has given to him hence why he doesn’t believe with lgbt because in some religious people, they view lgbt is like against what god had given you or refuse to feel gratitude with what god had given to you. To me society needs to be more open to some of these people why they refuse to wear the rainbow armband, it can be totally different to racism.
Then he can play football in Galatasaray for all I care. If you're gonna be a professional footballer playing for a top club, you need to be professional. Refusing to wear an armband to show that you don't support LGBTQ, you're anything but professional.

STYLOISRED

Then he can play football in Galatasaray for all I care. If you're gonna be a professional footballer playing for a top club, you need to be professional. Refusing to wear an armband to show that you don't support LGBTQ, you're anything but professional.
Nonsense. Nothing in his contract stipulates that he is required to support any rights group. As long as he hasn't made any negative remarks or shown any animosity towards the LGBT community then YOU are the projecting your views on him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His job is to play football. Professional doesn’t cover the social causes you wish to champion. Unless someone has evidence of him discriminating against a certain type of people then I don’t see what the fuss is.

zaafi

Nonsense. Nothing in his contract stipulates that he is required to support any rights group. As long as he hasn't made any negative remarks or shown any animosity towards the LGBT community then YOU are the projecting your views on him.
It's called professionalism and that was my entire point. His team mates are able to act professionally, why not him?
If someone refused to kneel that they're not against racism, would you say the same?

gajender

It's called professionalism and that was my entire point. His team mates are able to act professionally, why not him?
If someone refused to kneel that they're not against racism, would you say the same?
I believe you need to learn the meaning of professionalism it's a voluntary gesture and somebody who is taking knee as statement against racism could still very well be racist and a person refusing to take knee doesn't automatically become racist either it's much more nuanced then that .

croadyman

He's a playmaker that I see being best utilised as one of the two midfielders either side of a #6, in a 3 man midfield.

I would also look to sign someone like Caicedo if possible. He's defensively very strong and has shown the ability to progress play in deeper areas of the pitch against the press.
Yeah this guy and Caicedo would work,failing that we look for someone cheap purely to provide backup for Casa

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You're allowed to have whatever opinion you want to have, especially if you keep it to yourself. I don't know much about the situation here but just because someone who is Muslim chooses not to support that, doesn't mean anything other than he's just following his religion. Does he go out and actively protest against it? Does he publicly shit on it and support people being oppressed? Many differences to just not publicly supporting a cause he doesn't believe in because of his religion.

Edit: just read the article. Ffs guys. He gave a perfectly valid explanation. He said he respects everyone and believes everyone is free to do what they want. He just can't wear a rainbow armband because of his own personal religious beliefs, but is entirely supportive of everyone being free to do their own thing. Really? We're at that point in society where you are going to hate on that now? Basically you just hate the entire Muslim world if that's the case, which is far worse.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wow you don't think a player from the Eredivisie is overrated and not that good, we need to be all over this lad :lol:

Will keep an eye on him in the Roma games.
:lol:

I guess I'm a bit critical of Dutch league players... though to be fair, quite a few of em have trouble adjusting to the premier league. Who's the last one that was an instant success at a top club, Suarez?

zaafi

I guess I'm a bit critical of Dutch league players... though to be fair, quite a few of em have trouble adjusting to the premier league. Who's the last one that was an instant success at a top club, Suarez?
Lisandro Martínez :devil:

zaafi

You're allowed to have whatever opinion you want to have, especially if you keep it to yourself. I don't know much about the situation here but just because someone who is Muslim chooses not to support that, doesn't mean anything other than he's just following his religion. Does he go out and actively protest against it? Does he publicly shit on it and support people being oppressed? Many differences to just not publicly supporting a cause he doesn't believe in because of his religion.

Edit: just read the article. Ffs guys. He gave a perfectly valid explanation. He said he respects everyone and believes everyone is free to do what they want. He just can't wear a rainbow armband because of his own personal religious beliefs, but is entirely supportive of everyone being free to do their own thing. Really? We're at that point in society where you are going to hate on that now? Basically you just hate the entire Muslim world if that's the case, which is far worse.
To be fair, I didn't even read the article myself :lol: I just assumed he was acting childish. Sign him up!

Putting all banter aside

One of the best players in the Eredivisie for sure. Stats wise, playmaking wise as well. Really stepped up his game the last two seasons and already played 170 matches for Feyenoord at an age of 22. That having said, I might think the leap from Feyenoord to Man Utd could be a big one, Malacia and Martinez are doing great, but we've also seen enough Eredivisie prospects fail miserably at top tier PL teams.

STYLOISRED

One of the best players in the Eredivisie for sure. Stats wise, playmaking wise as well. Really stepped up his game the last two seasons and already played 170 matches for Feyenoord at an age of 22. That having said, I might think the leap from Feyenoord to Man Utd could be a big one, Malacia and Martinez are doing great, but we've also seen enough Eredivisie prospects fail miserably at top tier PL teams.
Well we have seen lot's of flops from the Eredivisie so it's only fair that we see some genuine world-class signings from there as well. Especially if we don't have to break the bank to take a punt on them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Daley Blind? Won an FA, league cup, and Europa — playing a key part in all, and only cost around £13m.

I guess you can argue Wijnaldum was pretty good at Newcastle and then seemed to become the perfect fit for Liverpool. Not quite “instant success at a top club” - but he did well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
LGBTQ has nothing to do with professional it‘s about belief.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Daley Blind? Won an FA, league cup, and Europa — playing a key part in all, and only cost around £13m.

I guess you can argue Wijnaldum was pretty good at Newcastle and then seemed to become the perfect fit for Liverpool. Not quite “instant success at a top club” - but he did well.
Daley did okay, but was never really a smash hit was he? Decent squad player more like.

The Wijnaldum scenario would be better for Kokcu I think. Playing cm at Feyenoord and at United is such a massive difference and cm seems like a relatively difficult position.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

I never understand why others can't just respect others' beliefs either, and it's sickening when people use religion as an excuse not to respect others' beliefs. It's not a fair, reasonable or acceptable excuse. Especially when it's rooted in complete hypocrisy by taking money from gambling companies, alcohol companies etc. It's a two-way street and you should respect my belief that religion is not an excuse to not support LGBT rights. I don't want him at the club, simple as that.

Last edited:

zaafi

LGBTQ has nothing to do with professional it‘s about belief.
When you indirectly tell millions who watch you play football that you discriminate them, it becomes about professionalism. You can still be against it, but you can follow the rest of your team that pay your wages and be an example. There are many muslim players who've worn the armband despite maybe not wanting to.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

The problem is people use the thinly veiled reason as "religion". They never actually state what they are against, which tends to be homosexuality. So yeah, it is immature to just be out right against supporting people who are gay and their rights to freely express their sexuality. There isn't an actual reason behind it, it's just because a sacred text said it at one point, because there isn't a reasonable argument against supporting people to express their sexuality without fear of oppression.

Of course it's up to the club to vet their character and see if that marries with our values. I would say someone who won't wear a rainbow armband without a good, well explained reason - without copping out by shifting the blame to the religion, doesn't match the club's values of respect.