Oscar Pistorius Trial

Stretch

I've noticed a few people have the sequence of events according to Oscar wrong.

Many posts have asked why did he not wake her up in the bed next to him when he heard the 'intruder'. Well, he didn't hear the 'intruder' in the bed when he woke up according to his version:

Stretch

Interesting testimony from the state pathologist:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/O...ines-cold-details-of-Reevas-injuries-20140310

This statement is quite damning if you ask me:

The overall appearance shows the entry point to be around 92cm from the ground," said Saayman, specifying that he was talking about a wound in Steenkamp's right hip.
This establishes 2 things IMO -

1. The head shot which was the fatal shot, was NOT the first one.
2. If so, she might very well have screamed during the shots holding up the earlier witnesses evidence.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just returned from a week of Safari in Kruger. All the South Africans i spoke with say he's guilty. One of them suggested Steenkamp was sexting with some Rugby player, which is what led to Pistorious losing the plot and killing her in a rage.

Getsme

Many posts have asked why did he not wake her up in the bed next to him when he heard the 'intruder'. Well, he didn't hear the 'intruder' in the bed when he woke up according to his version:
So he walked over to get his gun from the side of his bed, yet didn't notice that his GF wasn't in bed. He then screams at the intruder to get out and for Reeva to phone the Police, there was no reply from anybody in the bedroom or the bathroom so he decides to shoot through the door to protect Reeva?

simon_xazza

Something I hadn't thought about yet...
So he walked over to get his gun from the side of his bed, yet didn't notice that his GF wasn't in bed. He then screams at the intruder to get out and for Reeva to phone the Police, there was no reply from anybody in the bedroom or the bathroom so he decides to shoot through the door to protect Reeva?
and all 4 of his shots hit the intruder through a closed door.

Amir

Between her sitting on the toilet and him walking around without his legs this ain't beautiful!

Not to mention her dying and all that...

Getsme

Something I hadn't thought about yet...

and all 4 of his shots hit the intruder through a closed door.
And he claims it's pitch black, yet he's walking into what he believes is a dangerous situation when it is safer to leave the house.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
And he claims it's pitch black, yet he's walking into what he believes is a dangerous situation when it is safer to leave the house.
Indeed. I wonder if there is a duty to retreat in SA?

I think all home defense firearms should have a laser pointing device attached to them. I reckon that dot landing on you would scare the daylights out of most intruders. No shots required unless absolutely neessary.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Indeed. I wonder if there is a duty to retreat in SA?

I think all home defense firearms should have a laser pointing device attached to them. I reckon that dot landing on you would scare the daylights out of most intruders. No shots required unless absolutely neessary.
Think of the money you could save also, just buy yourself a laser pointer for home defense.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Think of the money you could save also, just buy yourself a laser pointer for home defense.
You've misread that. It needs to be attached to a gun. Granted I've no experience in such a situation but I'd imagine it would be extra scary as the laser should identify where the holes are going to be.

Also, the good ones (like the Viridian green laser) are quite expensive.

JustAFan

You've misread that. It needs to be attached to a gun. Granted I've no experience in such a situation but I'd imagine it would be extra scary as the laser should identify where the holes are going to be.

Also, the good ones (like the Viridian green laser) are quite expensive.
Well I was imagining it would be dark in your home (ala Oscar in this case) so all the bad guy would see would be a laser dot in the middle of his chest. Providing he looked down of course.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Ex-girlfriend says he screams like a man.

Lawyer: "According to him, if he screams and is really anxious, he sounds like a woman."
Ex-girlfriend (Taylor): "That is not true, he sounds like a man."
Lawyer: "Have you heard him scream before?"
Taylor: "Yes."
Lawyer: "Once or more?"
Taylor: "A few times, my lady."
Lawyer: "But I think they would say that only when he is really anxious, when he screamed, did you see him being anxious?"
Taylor: "I've seen him be very anxious."
Lawyer: "And he would shout at you?"
Taylor: "At myself."
The Ned Flanders defence

Mick1991

Pretty convincing picture of a paranoid gun nut has been presented. The gun supplier said that Pistorius has went into 'combat mode' before (drawing weapon, clearing rooms), mistaking his washing machine for an intruder.

He was a killer waiting to happen.

Rednotdead

Pretty convincing picture of a paranoid gun nut has been presented. The gun supplier said that Pistorius has went into 'combat mode' before (drawing weapon, clearing rooms), mistaking his washing machine for an intruder.

So far his defence team has failed rather miserably in its attempt to discredit witnesses. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with when they get their turn to present their case.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout

A washing machine set him off before :lol:

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
It's interesting that the ballistics expert has concluded he was standing in the bathroom doorway when he fired. If he was arguing with his girlfriend while she was in there, you might expect him to be further into the room.

Standing in the doorway does seem to suggest he wasn't sure who or what was in there.

JustAFan

It's interesting that the ballistics expert has concluded he was standing in the bathroom doorway when he fired. If he was arguing with his girlfriend while she was in there, you might expect him to be further into the room.

Standing in the doorway does seem to suggest he wasn't sure who or what was in there.
How big is the bathroom?

Getsme

He's selling his house, don't think he will get near as much as it's worth for it.

Rednotdead

It's now been agreed by all parties to extend the trial to mid-May. The Prosecution has 107 witnesses to call and so far only 18 have actually been called.

simon_xazza

NEWS24 said:
I'm scared of you sometimes - Reeva

Pretoria - Oscar Pistorius's girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp told the athlete she was sometimes scared of him in a text message nearly three weeks before he shot her dead, a North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria heard on Monday.

"I'm scared of you sometimes and how you snap at me and how you react to me," Steenkamp said in a message after the athlete thought she had flirted with another man, the court heard.

Police cellphone analyst Captain Francois Moller began testifying on Monday afternoon.

He gave evidence on phones given to him after Pistorius shot Steenkamp dead on Valentine's Day last year.

After being sworn in, Moller said he was given four cellphones - two Blackberries and two iPhones, and two iPads and a Macbook computer on 15 February by investigating officer Warrant Officer Hilton Botha.

Botha was taken off the case and later resigned.

Steenkamp texted: “You make me happy ninety percent of the time and I think we are amazing together... but I am not some other bitch... trying to kill your vibe...

"I'm the girl who fell in love with you but I'm also the girl who gets side-stepped when you are in a shit mood... I get snapped at and told my accent and voices are annoying."

The message began: "You have picked on me excessively... I do everything to make you happy and you do everything to throw tantrums... " The line was part of a lengthy Whatsapp text she sent him on 27 January where she expressed concern over his behaviour at a lunch they had attended, which she said they had to leave early because of him.

CNN reported that according to the messages, Pistorius apparently was upset about Steenkamp speaking to another man at a party.
"I watched you touch his arm and ignore me. Clearly I was upset," Pistorius messaged Steenkamp.

Tasha’s shooting

In another text message, about the shooting at Tasha’s restaurant, extracted from Steenkamp’s cellphone, Pistorius had asked her "not to say a thing".

Pistorius is also charged with firing a gun in a public place, at Tasha's restaurant in Melrose Arch, Johannesburg, in January 2013.

"Angel, please don't say a thing to anyone, Darren told everyone it was his fault. The guys promised they wouldn't say anything," Moller read from a WhatsApp message Pistorius sent to Steenkamp on 11 January 2013 at 15:03.

He allegedly asked his friend Darren Fresco to take the blame for the shot that went off.

Pistorius and Steenkamp exchanged a few messages, before she replied: "I won't always think before I say something, just appreciate that I'm not a liar."

As Moller read other, longer messages between the couple that revealed conflict between the couple, Pistorius bowed his head and cried quietly.

Pistorius has been charged with murder and contraventions of the Firearms Control Act. He allegedly fired the shot at Tashas, and on 30 September 2012 he allegedly shot through the open sunroof of a car with his 9mm pistol while driving with friends in Modderfontein.

- AFP

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It appears the Prosecution has finished presenting it's case and it's been adjourned til Friday to give Roux more time to speak to Witnesses. Thought today actually went quite well for Pistorious' side of things, although I did only skim over the days events.

MG

Those messages he sent to her are painting a very familiar picture of a jealous, possessive guy. That is absolutely textbook domestic abuser territory.

Wonder how he's going to explain himself there.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Those messages he sent to her are painting a very familiar picture of a jealous, possessive guy. That is absolutely textbook domestic abuser territory.

Wonder how he's going to explain himself there.
Probably with a lot of crying and vomiting. I always suspected that this was the type of man that would be revealed during the course of the trial.

I never really liked Pistorius for some reason and I wasn't surprised by his appalling sportsmanship when he lost in the Paralympics. I am surprised that it has come to this however.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
They still have to prove that he intentionally killed her, beyond a reasonable doubt so he may get off with a lesser charge.

RK

Compared to what I expected, the prosecution's case was fairly weak. I'd be very surprised if he was found guilty of pre-meditated murder, but I think they'll go tough on the culpable homicide sentence.

simon_xazza

I think he should be taking to the stand tomorrow. Seems odd to me that someone in that situation has had over a year before they have had to verbally explain/justify their actions. It should be interesting non the less. I expect he will just cry/fake cry through the whole thing.

simon_xazza

Yep, my mistake. Defense has started today, Nel looks like a complete different person now. Putting on a real performance.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Wow, Nel has them rattled big time. He is like a different person.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
But I told guys this earlier in the thread. It's his turn now. There's a reason his nickname is 'The Bulldog' in SA law circles.
It's impressive stuff. He is going right for the jugular on them.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Worth a watch for those interested in the case. Prosecutor Nel absolutely destroyed the defence witness testimony of Professor Botha, forced him into several rather humiliating climb-downs and the Prosecution expert Mangena certainly came off better and more reliable when he was previously in the stand, stuck to his testimony under Roux's questioning.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It’s crazy to think they had only been dating 3 months.

This for most relationships would be the honeymoon period with barely any arguments or fall outs.

It appears that they had a number of ups and downs in a short space of time, and it seems to be his fault. Comes across as a jealous control freak