Our Wayne ... Oh Dear

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Sure, it did make up in terms of revenue but I dont think winning the title helped them gain too many new fans. Again, I know for a fact that they lost 1000s of fans in Asia because people were so disgusted by John Terry.
At that rate, they must be running out of 'pure' clubs to support. I don't think Rochdale has any scandals on it's name to date

Rory 7

I dont have the data on hand. And if I did I would not post it as its confidential and belongs to the brand owner. But, yes I have seen it, worked with it and built recommendations on the back of it.
Amazing isn't it - all these folks looking for 'evidence' and 'proof' that a scandal like this doesn't damage reputation. I am genuinely amazed.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'd guess his personal brand has, but I'm not so sure about Chelsea's. I'd imagine the Rooney situation will be similar.
You're not being serious are you? We all laugh at how Chavski is a team full of foreign mercenaries, which has no class or culture, where player power rules and that is full of disgusting chavs that we cant stand. And aside fro Chavski fans, thats a pretty consistent opinion. Terry's behavior and antics reinforce this perception. Yeah, Id say it did affect the Chelsea brand .... to the extent that Abramovich had to have a KumBaya meeting to say enough is enough

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You're not being serious are you? We all laugh at how Chavski is a team full of foreign mercenaries, which has no class or culture, where player power rules and that is full of disgusting chavs that we cant stand. And aside fro Chavski fans, thats a pretty consistent opinion. Terry's behavior and antics reinforce this perception. Yeah, Id say it did affect the Chelsea brand .... to the extent that Abramovich had to have a KumBaya meeting to say enough is enough
Erm... John Terry's English?

And again, you're taking your personal opinion and applying them to the public at large.

Rory 7

I'll be lynched I know but i guess thats the English bit ;)

apologies to anyone offended. it was meant to be a joke slagging off the current image of English footballers.

and eyepopper i am really surprised i got a warning for this....it was meant to be a joke.....are you taking the debate we had earlier a little too personally?

Kelvin

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez could be set to offer Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney an escape route out of English football by tabling a massive offer for the striker, reports suggest.

Publication The Sun has commented that the 24-year-old has grown tired of the press attention he receives in England, in the wake of recent allegations regarding his relationship with a prostitute, and also previous photographs of Rooney smoking and drinking heavily.

The former Everton striker has little over 18 months to run on his current deal at Old Trafford, but contract negotiations have yet to commence, and los Blancos’ supremo Perez could be set to hijack the renewal by enticing Rooney to the Spanish capital.

Coach Jose Mourinho has expressed his desire to bring another striker to the Santiago Bernabeu, and is also unsure of the credentials of Karim Benzema to be a success in La Liga after a difficult debut year.

If a deal could be struck where Benzema could be offloaded and the enigmatic attacker added in a cash-plus-player deal, Mourinho may see this as a dream solution.

The Red Devils’ owners, the Glazer family, could be encouraged to sell should the offer be substantial enough, given their own current financial difficulties.

Real Madrid To Offer Manchester United Forward Wayne Rooney Escape Route From English Press - Report - Goal.com

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Kind of ironic, when you're expecting me to believe some random bloke off the internet who can only back up points by saying "I've seen data"
Amazing isn't it - all these folks looking for 'evidence' and 'proof' that a scandal like this doesn't damage reputation. I am genuinely amazed.

In this particular matter, I happen to do this for my career which Im very good, have some inside knowledge from which I have based my opinion and am confident in it. Whether you believe me or not does not matter to me nor is it important. This is a forum where differing sides of a debate are discussed.

What I think is going on here with both of you in particular is that you are mixing up your own personal ideals (this should remain Rooneys personal matter) with what the UK media has engineered. Anyway, as I said, this is a forum where all sides of a topic get to be explored.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
The reputation of the employer and of the individual are 2 different things.

Eyepopper

So Terrys actions reinforce a pre existing the highly subjective opinion of rival Chelsea fans.

Dion

From 2003-2008 Beckham stayed in the 600-700 bracket of britains richest people (the sunday times) and saw his wealth increase at a steady rate during that period. That evidence seems to suggets he didn't suffer and investment exodus as you suggest.

2002 962= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £35m
2003 689= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £50m
2004 621= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £65m
2005 654= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £75m
2006 674= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £87m
2007 619= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £112m
2008 616= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £125m
2009 462= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £125m

If you can read a meaningful drop in marketability from that then I want what ever you're smoking.

Rory 7

From 2003-2008 Beckham stayed in the 600-700 bracket of britains richest people (the sunday times) and saw his wealth increase at a steady rate during that period. That evidence seems to suggets he didn't suffer and investment exodus as you suggest.

2002 962= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £35m
2003 689= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £50m
2004 621= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £65m
2005 654= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £75m
2006 674= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £87m
2007 619= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £112m
2008 616= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £125m
2009 462= DAVID and VICTORIA BECKHAM £125m

If you can read a meaningful drop in marketability from that then I want what ever you're smoking.
who suggested he did have a drop in revenue?

Eyepopper

If there's no drop in revenue it would suggest there's no drop in appeal to the brand surely :confused:

If there's no drop in appeal to the brand, and no other negative consequences has the reputation suffered to a point thats even worth mentioning.

Dion

It would follow that if he was damaged by the claims he'd have suffered a hit in the amount of money he made, in fact it never fluctuated between £10-£15m a year during the years either side. The year it did drop coincides with his second year at Madrid, not his home nation and the year after the hype of his transfer wore off. Its also by some distance the closest anyone has provided to actual proof one way or another, it's pretty clear from that "Brand Beckham" didn't do too badly regardles of where David stuck his penis.

Rory 7

If there's no drop in revenue it would suggest there's no drop in appeal to the brand surely :confused:

If there's no drop in appeal to the brand, and no other negative consequences has the reputation suffered to a point thats even worth mentioning.
Oh i'm really not going to get into the detail of branding debate again. You've already warned me for 'muppetry' for no apparent reason.

Suffice to say, the decline in his equity could have been temporary and the brand Beckham machine managed the negative publicity pretty well. As you are well aware I have already clarified that i think the Rooney story could have an impact on the reputation of man united - even if only temporary.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The issue being discussed here is whether or not fecking around damages a footballer's brand (or the brand of the club he plays for)

Assuming revenue is a proxy for the power of a brand, we can see Beckham shagged some dizzy tart without any noticeable impact on the power of brand Beckham. Which is kind of relevant to the matter at hand.

(I'm sorry Bill, I really am :()

Rory 7

The issue being discussed here is whether or not fecking around damages a footballer's brand (or the brand of the club he plays for)

Assuming revenue is a proxy for the power of a brand, we can see Beckham shagged some dizzy tart without any noticeable impact on the power of brand Beckham. Which is kind of relevant to the matter at hand.

(I'm sorry Bill, I really am :()
well actually Pogue the original discussion was about united reputation being dragged through the mud. and then the branding conversation kicked in.

as that lad samm said (and i said originally) we aren't privvy to all the 'brand data' to really conclusively say that the image of the club is effected by Rooney.

but i, along with some posters on here, think that the image/reputation of the club is impacted by Rooney. that is all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
well actually Pogue the original discussion was about united reputation being dragged through the mud. and then the branding conversation kicked in.

as that lad samm said (and i said originally) we aren't privvy to all the 'brand data' to really conclusively say that the image of the club is effected by Rooney.

but i, along with some posters on here, think that the image/reputation of the club is impacted by Rooney. that is all.
You've all made that quite clear.

The point the rest of us are making is that there's a world of difference between a few of you thinking the reputation of Manchester United has been "dragged through the dirt" and this actually being the case.

Rory 7

You've all made that quite clear.

The point the rest of us are making is that there's a world of difference between a few of you thinking the reputation of Manchester United has been "dragged through the dirt" and this actually being the case.
but its not just a few of us thinking it. any reasonable person can see that a scandal like this will damage reputations. i will really have to leave this thread because we seem to be talking in circles....not deliberately on my part i want to assure you.

Dion

yes so who did say that Brand Beckham's revenue was impacted by the Loos scandal?
Have you seen the tracking data? Again a personal opinion which is false.

I have seen the data . Lots and lots of people went anti Beckham with the Loo's story and never came back. He lost a significant amount of appeal amongst married women worldwide. For a time, he lost his allure in the sponsorship market too. I do remember many people advising the clients to steer well clear after the whole thing. Pretty much like Will Carling post Diana.
In reply to me saying the Beckham brand didn't suffer from Beckhams affair.

Rory 7

In reply to me saying the Beckham brand didn't suffer from Beckhams affair.
in fairness to sammsky1 though Dion, he does say the Beckham brand was impacted 'for a time'....

and thats kind of what i am saying too...and others on here.....a scandal like this does have an impact on reputation even if just temporarily

I can't wait til the whole thing blows over to be honest...

Dion

in fairness to sammsky1 though Dion, he does say the Beckham brand was impacted 'for a time'....
For a time that didn't show any impact on his yearly earnings? Id' say thats no impact tbh.

Eyepopper

Oh i'm really not going to get into the detail of branding debate again. You've already warned me for 'muppetry' for no apparent reason.
This is what I warned you for and the reason I gave. I would've thought that was fair enough and explained.

Administrative Note:
Message to User:
There's no need for that, it adds nothing to the debate and is likely to take the discussion off topic.
Original Post:
I'll be lynched I know but i guess thats the English bit ;)
If you want to whinge about a warning do it in the admin forum.

Rory 7

This is what I warned you for and the reason I gave. I would've thought that was fair enough and explained.

Administrative Note:
Message to User:
Original Post:

If you want to whinge about a warning do it in the admin forum.
Well in my 8 years as member I've never had to look at the admin forum before. I just have and now realise yes I should use that forum to complain about my warning for what was clearly a joke.

I think you have taken our debate personally and have given me a warning as some kind of payback. I'll go to the admin forum now if thats okay.

204Red

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez could be set to offer Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney an escape route out of English football by tabling a massive offer for the striker, reports suggest.

Publication The Sun has commented that the 24-year-old has grown tired of the press attention he receives in England, in the wake of recent allegations regarding his relationship with a prostitute, and also previous photographs of Rooney smoking and drinking heavily.

The former Everton striker has little over 18 months to run on his current deal at Old Trafford, but contract negotiations have yet to commence, and los Blancos’ supremo Perez could be set to hijack the renewal by enticing Rooney to the Spanish capital.

Coach Jose Mourinho has expressed his desire to bring another striker to the Santiago Bernabeu, and is also unsure of the credentials of Karim Benzema to be a success in La Liga after a difficult debut year.

If a deal could be struck where Benzema could be offloaded and the enigmatic attacker added in a cash-plus-player deal, Mourinho may see this as a dream solution.

The Red Devils’ owners, the Glazer family, could be encouraged to sell should the offer be substantial enough, given their own current financial difficulties.

Real Madrid To Offer Manchester United Forward Wayne Rooney Escape Route From English Press - Report - Goal.com
This is from those unreliable dingbats at Goal.com, so it shouldn't be taken too seriously, as I'm sure its pure speculation on their part...

However it is pretty good speculation. This was one of the first things I thought of when I first heard this story was about to break... and there's a couple of factors at play here

1. Its not just the main story, that is news at some level... but its all of the secondary follow up stories that drive a person crazy... as the rags try to keep flogging the same dead horse in a pathetic attempt to sell papers. People come out of the woodwork with all kinds of claims and everyone doles out advice. At some level escaping that must seem like a good idea.

2. Wayne has always spoken about Family and his roots in the North West (It was largely cited when he moved to Utd from Everton). With his immediate family seemingly on verge of tatters, and people like his cousin who come out and tell his wife to leave him... and its not hard to see that one of the anchors that keeps grounded has been damaged. Again wanting some space from this type of family breakdown must seem appealing.

3. Fergie. I have the utmost faith that Fergie will sort this mess out in the short term and I'm sure he will evolve into the main anchor or moral compass in Wayne's life. But...

a. how long will Fergie remain in charge of United, he will not always be around to guide players like Rooney,

and b. how long will he tolerate this type of behavior from a star player. Lets say Wayne becomes single again, whats to stop him from doing this again. Fergie has, in the past unloaded high profile players (Yorke, Beckham) when their names started appearing at the front of the paper rather than the back pages. At some level it must seem appealing for both player and club to move on from a situation like the one Wayne is about to enter.

4. Playing for Real (although not in the same "dream" like status that captivated Ronaldo) is hardly a bad move, both on the pitch and undoubtedly financially... it must always look like an attractive option, even if up until now it was one Rooney has been quick to dismiss.

Eyepopper

Yes I'm sure the thing Rooney would want to do is leave the press storm of Manchester for the secluded haven of peace that Real Madrid is.

204Red

Yes I'm sure the thing Rooney would want to do is leave the press storm of Manchester for the secluded haven of peace that Real Madrid is.
What if United use this story to start dragging down their offer in a new contract...

Rooney (and his people) know that his salary would double at Madrid. Plus I doubt Rooney speaks a word of Spanish, so he'd have no clue what they were writing about... I'm kidding about the last part, sort of.

Again I said the original piece was pure speculation, but there is something to the idea.

Eyepopper

What if United use this story to start dragging down their offer in a new contract...

Rooney (and his people) know that his salary would double at Madrid. Plus I doubt Rooney speaks a word of Spanish, so he'd have no clue what they were writing about... I'm kidding about the last part, sort of.

Again I said the original piece was pure speculation, but there is something to the idea.
There's 'something' to most speculation, yet most speculation turns out to be bullshit.