Ousmane Dembele - Barcelona Player

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Dembele is the most two footed I've seen in that he doesn't seemed fazed going on either foot or try to avoid it.

Ballack is another I've watched who didn't care and didn't switch feet before passing/shooting.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Yes, good pick.

Would maybe add R9 and Nedved from players I remember watching growing up.

Cruyff, Zico, Charlton, Pele etc often get mentioned, but way before my time.

Another, slightly more obscure pick is Hernanes. Could pass, dribble, shoot effectively with either foot. I’m not quite sure why he didn’t achieve more in the game to be honest, he had a very well rounded skill set.

jesperjaap

Still find it crazy a substantial amount of people on this forum turned their nose at trying got him when his deal was running out. Even crazier when you think our options are Rashford or Elanga.
To be fair its a fairly even split.

I can understand people not wanting us to sign him due to his injry problems and to a lesser degree the supposed attitude problems to his profession.

But always thought people saying not worth risk as actually not even that good etc etc. I didnt see him while at Rennes, but Dembele at Dortmund was an absolute joy to watch.

Its great to see him getting back to form as talent wise he is one of the best in the world and the Mbappe comparisons are not folly. Personally as good as Mbappe is, I think he is a little over rated, Dembele I think has always been under rated, the Barcelona fee at the time was huge, but it wasnt a huge surprise, hope he can continue as one of the most entertatining players to watch in todays game

Goalfather

Their physiques are dissimilar but they are comparable with respect to their ambipedalism. The option to go either way with their dribbling is something else

troylocker

Just 31 goals in 5 seasons, injury prone, lack of end product, only appear agains lesser opposition, mentality problems. Definitively a player I don’t rate at all… while on this forum people praise him as if he was better than M’Bappe and the reincarnation of Pele fused with Best. Most overrated player ever.
Nononono! Didn't you just see what he can do in that clip against Plzen?
CV's and history don't matter then.

Tarrou

John Barnes was definitely his equal in two footedness
Barnes was class and had a great shot with his weaker foot, but I don't think he could dribble with his weaker foot as well as Dembele. Dembele just seems to switch back and for effortlessly.

kthanksbye

Just 31 goals in 5 seasons, injury prone, lack of end product, only appear agains lesser opposition, mentality problems. Definitively a player I don’t rate at all… while on this forum people praise him as if he was better than M’Bappe and the reincarnation of Pele fused with Best. Most overrated player ever.
I don't think you've watched him play off late, have you? Especially since Xavi took over. His decision making has improved massively, his dribbling has always been good, but now he's releasing the ball when needed. I think he's going to be a massive player for Barca this season, if he can stay fit, which he should now that Barca have really good depth in Raphina, Fati, Ferran and Dembele.

troylocker

I don't think you've watched him play off late, have you? Especially since Xavi took over. His decision making has improved massively, his dribbling has always been good, but now he's releasing the ball when needed. I think he's going to be a massive player for Barca this season, if he can stay fit, which he should now that Barca have really good depth in Raphina, Fati, Ferran and Dembele.
He's very good and fun to watch on his day, but the praise he's got lately is ridiculous. 2 beautiful assists against Plzen (A match you would only get your money back on betting on Barca, and only get 30% mark up on Barca with a 3 goal handicap) and a good start to the season isn't enough. His injury record, history with bad mentality, big game bottling, general inconsistancy doesn't disappear because of a handful of good performances. Let's come back here in April. If he's delivered consistantly on his top level throughout the season then, we can maybe start to think he's put some of those questionmarks to sleep. This is his 6th season at Barca and his total tally is not yet up to an average Messi-season there. He scored 2 goals in 31 apps just last season.
I mean, this post from after the Plzen match (not from you): "Is he the most two footed player of all time?"
....,or this from early August (not from you): "I still believe he has greater potential than Mbappe. If Dembele can focus and stay injury free, he is a Ballon D'or winner. With Xavi's Positional Play, he is in the best position to now dominate. Hopefully he can keep it up. Minus the aerial ability, he is almost like the reincarnation of Pele."
Come on!!? Pele had 463 goals for Santos and 51 goals for Brazil when he was 25. Dembele has 56 clubgoals and 4 goals for France in his career so far......
Barca bought him for 113M £ and there's a reason he is now Barca's 13th most valuable player.

Bobski

Had no idea he's that good
Barnes has a more than decent shout to be seen as the best player in England of the 80's. You know what, it is not a shout, he was the best player in that decade.

It is odd looking back at him in vids, doesn't look as if he is that fast in terms of outright top speed, but his change of pace, ability to go both ways, and his strength never made it an issue.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don’t know the answer myself but is he the most two footed player of all time?
Sir Tom Finney & Andreas Brehme both took free kicks (and penalties in Brehme's case) with either foot depending on the situation.

kthanksbye

He's very good and fun to watch on his day, but the praise he's got lately is ridiculous. 2 beautiful assists against Plzen (A match you would only get your money back on betting on Barca, and only get 30% mark up on Barca with a 3 goal handicap) and a good start to the season isn't enough. His injury record, history with bad mentality, big game bottling, general inconsistancy doesn't disappear because of a handful of good performances. Let's come back here in April. If he's delivered consistantly on his top level throughout the season then, we can maybe start to think he's put some of those questionmarks to sleep. This is his 6th season at Barca and his total tally is not yet up to an average Messi-season there. He scored 2 goals in 31 apps just last season.
I mean, this post from after the Plzen match (not from you): "Is he the most two footed player of all time?"
....,or this from early August (not from you): "I still believe he has greater potential than Mbappe. If Dembele can focus and stay injury free, he is a Ballon D'or winner. With Xavi's Positional Play, he is in the best position to now dominate. Hopefully he can keep it up. Minus the aerial ability, he is almost like the reincarnation of Pele."
Come on!!? Pele had 463 goals for Santos and 51 goals for Brazil when he was 25. Dembele has 56 clubgoals and 4 goals for France in his career so far......
Barca bought him for 113M £ and there's a reason he is now Barca's 13th most valuable player.
The Pele comparisons are obviously ridiculous, but you also called him the "most overrated player ever", so that's not fair either.
I take it that you haven't watched him play off late, he's got 13 assists and a goal in the league last season, with 15 starts. I've watched like 80% of Braca games since Xavi took over and Dembele is a different player, it's not a purple patch where whatever he's doing is coming off, he's changed his game and I've been really impressed with his decision making.
If he doesn't get injured, he's looking at double digit goals and assists, easily. We will come back here in April and see how he's doing because with Lewa there, and Xavi getting more time and his players, Dembele is only getting better.

NoLogo

He is a fantastic player when he is fit and his head is in the right place. But we shouldn't act like signing him was a no brainer, even Barca only gave him a new 2 year contract after not giving in to his initial demands. But hey maybe that's the key to get him playing well and stay injury free, keep him on a short contract.

troylocker

The Pele comparisons are obviously ridiculous, but you also called him the "most overrated player ever", so that's not fair either.
I take it that you haven't watched him play off late, he's got 13 assists and a goal in the league last season, with 15 starts. I've watched like 80% of Braca games since Xavi took over and Dembele is a different player, it's not a purple patch where whatever he's doing is coming off, he's changed his game and I've been really impressed with his decision making.
If he doesn't get injured, he's looking at double digit goals and assists, easily. We will come back here in April and see how he's doing because with Lewa there, and Xavi getting more time and his players, Dembele is only getting better.
I haven't called him the "most overrated player ever" to be fair. I think he's been very good lately, but I still think there's a big gap between the Ballon d'or level players and him, even on his best days. If Barca wins everything this season, he'll not be the one to win the Ballon d'or.

Fabio Rochemback

I don’t know the answer myself but is he the most two footed player of all time?
Greenwood...:(

Pedro of Barca/Chelsea was freakishly two-footed too.

While the likes of KdB, Jota and Eriksen are good shouts too, I could immediately tell which was their stronger side when I first saw them play. The same isn't true of Greenwood, Pedro and Dembele.

Last edited:

kthanksbye

I haven't called him the "most overrated player ever" to be fair. I think he's been very good lately, but I still think there's a big gap between the Ballon d'or level players and him, even on his best days. If Barca wins everything this season, he'll not be the one to win the Ballon d'or.
Oh that was someone else, apologies.
That's true, if Barca were to win everything this season, Lewa would be getting his well deserved Ballon d"Or, but there's a very high level a player can play at without being in contention for the Ballon d'Or and Dembele is showing everything to suggest that he's capable of being an instrumental player for Barca this season. If I had to guess, I'll give Xavi that credit, sometimes a good manager is what you need to perform to your potential, he's always had the potential, Xavi is just getting him to produce it consistently.
His 2 goals and 4 assists this season in 5 starts and 6 appearances does not come as a surprise to me, because this is exactly how he has been playing since the end of last season.

colombianmancunian

You took the words off my mouth. People are overrating this guy due to a good game against fecking Plzen. He haven’t shown consistency during his 5 years at Barcelona, he haven’t shown a level near to M’Bappe or Halaand. If he, and that’s a big if, can stay healthy and with the right attitude, he will be a useful player… but nowhere near Ballon D’or player and nowhere near o rey Pelé.

He is the most overrated player on this forum by far! Typical caf overrating other team’s players. If he was at United most of the people who are overrating him now, would classify him as deadwood considering his stats.

Last edited:

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
According to L'equipe, Dembélé has a €50M release clause kicking up next summer. In exchange for him and his agents to give up the signon fee on his contract renewal, the club accepted that release clause, 50% of which will go to Dembélé and his agents so it's literally a €25M clause for Barcelona.

antk

According to L'equipe, Dembélé has a €50M release clause kicking up next summer. In exchange for him and his agents to give up the signon fee on his contract renewal, the club accepted that release clause, 50% of which will go to Dembélé and his agents so it's literally a €25M clause for Barcelona.
Win-win for both parties tbf. Interesting setup.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Win-win for both parties tbf. Interesting setup.
Yea it's a pretty unconventional deal. With the lack of interest in Dembélé despite being free this summer, Barcelona probably felt confident with that €50M release clause. But given how well he has been playing and how much his attitude changed since january or so, this clause might be a problem next summer since it's quite low for a player of his caliber. But he really seems to like Barcelona so it's probably not that much of a risk.

Trex

Yea it's a pretty unconventional deal. With the lack of interest in Dembélé despite being free this summer, Barcelona probably felt confident with that €50M release clause. But given how well he has been playing and how much his attitude changed since january or so, this clause might be a problem next summer since it's quite low for a player of his caliber. But he really seems to like Barcelona so it's probably not that much of a risk.
He could use it as leverage to negotiate a better deal.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
He could use it as leverage to negotiate a better deal.
That's obviously possible. But Dembélé and his people know how hard Laporta is enforcing his new wage structure so I dont think he can hope for a big raise from them in the near future. If he wants a raise he'd probably have to activate his clause and go to the PL or PSG, the only places where he can earn more.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There’s no space for him in our squad is there?

One of my favorite players

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Surprised by his low stats this season considering this performance. World class tonight.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Surprised by his low stats this season considering this performance. World class tonight.
That's the problem with Dembele, he can be world class one night and miss everything 3 days later. The kid has mad talent but a huge consistancy issue. It'll also be a problem for Barcelona (it actually already is in the CL).

tjb

That's the problem with Dembele, he can be world class one night and miss everything 3 days later. The kid has mad talent but a huge consistancy issue. It'll also be a problem for Barcelona (it actually already is in the CL).
The fact is he still creates those opportunities for himself and others. Personally, I can never call someone he drives and creates chances each game inconsistent, because most players don't do that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has all the tools to be so good, rather than just pretty good sometimes. Such an infuriating player

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That's what some people don't seem to get about Dembele, I don't think too many people are praising the player himself, or at least they do so by recognizing his inconsistency at times, but it's the talent that is so impressive, the potential of what he could be if he can put it all together. He has all the tools, it's pretty much all about what goes on between his ears now, which can happen now, a few years from now, maybe it's already in the process of happening as we speak. I know one thing, there isn't a defender out there that's looking forward to playing against him, he's an absolute nightmare to prepare for, and the only person that can really stop him is himself.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Coman was better.

tjb

Disappointing World Cup.
The finals performance in particular was terrible for him....every negative thing people have said about him showed in this final. For his future in the french set up, this was a performance that was bad enough to hurt him moving forward. Particularly as France have a lot of other attackers that didn't feature in this tournament.