Ousmane Dembele - Barcelona Player

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Now I understand why the kid was hell-bend on joining Barca. Who can blame him considering this offer?
Nice theory, except he said he wants to play for Barca since he was playing for Dortmund. So, most likely, he's getting paid a lot because he has to do a lot (replace Neymar) and because he loves the club. And because almost everybody thinks it's inevitable that he will deliver big time.

Barca will have big problems with his wages if he doesn't though, that much is true.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What do you guys expect? I told you months ago that the oil clubs have ruined the market. The market is not only the signing fee, but also the wages and the bonuses, which go hand in hand with the sums that are paid for these players.

If this is paid for Dembele, imagine how much money PSG give to Neymar in wages and all sorts of bonuses. Certainly indicates that ESPN's story with 100m. bonus for Neymar and 50 for his dad were most likely true.

Barca make 700m. a year roughly and only register a relatively minor profit. A lot of those money go into wages and bonuses.
Dembele supposedly signed for €2.5m pa at Dortmund, somehow I find it hard to believe that he rather would've stayed on those wages than sign for less than €16+m at Barca.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Dembele supposedly signed for €2.5m pa at Dortmund, somehow I find it hard to believe that he rather would've stayed on those wages than sign for less than €16+m at Barca.
Barca wanted Dembele since at Rennes. He said he dreams of playing for the club but needs to be ready first, as Barca had MSN and he would've had to stay on the bench a lot. So, what are you talking about? He made it clear his career would take him at Barca eventually and that is not related to money. He is a Barca fan and has probably been a massive supporter of Pep's Barca in his days as a kid.

PSG pay for loyalty. Barca/Madrid reward it. Big difference.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Nice theory, except he said he wants to play for Barca since he was playing for Dortmund. So, most likely, he's getting paid a lot because he has to do a lot (replace Neymar) and because he loves the club. And because almost everybody thinks it's inevitable that he will deliver big time.

Barca will have big problems with his wages if he doesn't though, that much is true.
Nobody questions that he saw Dortmund as stepping stone on his way to Barcelona. Originally the plan clearly was to stay for more than a year in Dortmund so and dembele consciously made this choice. He wasn't unhappy there and he was destined to end up in Barcelona sooner or later.
Seeing this contract his behaviour makes much more sense. Barca offered him a contract that was simply too good to ignore.
Barca couldn't afford to wait so they threw money at him.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

I now do 50% of these two things, and for that I´m willing to accept half of Dembele´s wages.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Well probably he went on strike because he had this massive offer. Otherwise he could have joined them in 1 or 2 years as it was planned. But Barca desperately needed a Neymar replacement asap, so they just offered him anything necessary to get it done quick.

RAVred

Devastating injury to be honest. Hope he recovers wells and shuts up the doubters.

Sure hes been a cnut, but to me hes the most talented of his generation... and should be the future best player in the world.

Not sure he'll get the proper development at Barcelona in general, and the injury just makes matters worse. Depends on the individual, some may seize the opportunity and grow to be all time greats, others can become nobodies.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
I now do 50% of these two things, and for that I´m willing to accept half of Dembele´s wages.
Dembele has 100% more chances to do it than you (match expectation and thrive under this huge pressure basically). The Caf was saying how Dembele is the best young player in the world months ago. Has that changed simply because Barca got him, knowing what almost everybody here thinks about Barcelona?

Last edited:

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
PSG pay for loyalty. Barca/Madrid reward it. Big difference.
This is literally one of the most ridiculous sentences I have read in my time on here.

Reward what exactly? The boy has done nothing for you so far.

Looking at the numbers, it is nice to see that our CEO was true to his word that we will get nearly all bonus payments (aside of arguably the 5-10 Mil. for winning the CL) guarantued. Thats 135 Mil. € we will get over the next few years. Even without the 20 Mil. € Rennes will receive, we brought in a replacement for a fourth of that money, who performs on a similar level as Dembele at his best for us.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
:lol:

The things people will say to make themselves feel better.
I'm quite simply amazed that reputable posters here still have no idea why players are drawn to playing for Real Madrid and Barca. And think it's mostly about the money. :lol: Shows a lack of understanding of the game, and of european football outside England.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Considering all the bridges he had to burn to get to Barca and all the pressure he will be under to replace Neymar I have no idea why Dembele would take less.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Dembele has 100% more chances to do it than you (match expectation and thrive under this huge pressure basically). The Caf was saying how Dembele is the best young player in the world months ago. Has that changed simply because Barca got him, knowing what almost everybody here thinks about Barcelona?
I´m just trying to get paid by Barcelona for loving them. As you seem to think, if you really really love them, they´ll pay you more money in contract negotiations.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm quite simply amazed that reputable posters here still have no idea why players are drawn to playing for Real Madrid and Barca. And think it's mostly about the money. :lol: Shows a lack of understanding of the game, and of european football outside England.
Not really. It's usually the opposite, sometimes the fans of both the clubs you mentioned think that players join them only because of the reputation and not because of the money.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
I´m just trying to get paid by Barcelona for loving them. As you seem to think, if you really really love them, they´ll pay you more money in contract negotiations.
Never said it is the only reason. It's logical that you are more lenient in negotiations towards a player that is also a fan of this team since an early age. On top of him being the future best or 2nd best player in the world according to fans and pundits alike.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Not really. It's usually the opposite, sometimes the fans of both the clubs you mentioned think that players join them only because of the reputation and not because of the money.
Money is not the no1 reason for why players join Barca and Madrid. Never was. It's the package and the history of both clubs, which have consistently drawn the best talents from the countries known to produce gems on regular basis.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Barca always had one of the highest wage bills, yeah all that love and not money.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Money is not the no1 reason for why players join Barca and Madrid. Never was. It's the package and the history of both clubs, who have consistently drawn the best talents from the countries known to produce gems on regular basis.
And it is just pure coincidence they usually have the first and second highest wage bills in the World.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Money is not the no1 reason for why players join Barca and Madrid. Never was. It's the package and the history of both clubs, who have consistently drawn the best talents from the countries known to produce gems on regular basis.
Yes, it's not the primary reason but still one of the reasons why Dembele joined Barcelona. I mean he's getting a five times increase in his salary, you can't deny that's a big increase.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona

Barca always had one of the highest wage bills, yeah all that love and not money.
Barca have the highest wage bill now, didn't have it in the past. And they do it because in recent history they're the best club. Best club = best paid players. It's a very logical connection.

Yes, it's not the primary reason but still one of the reasons why Dembele joined Barcelona. I mean he's getting a five times increase in his salary, you can't deny that's a big increase.
Of course it's a reason. I was only against the argument that it is the main reason. Many people here seem to think Barca is some Spanish PSG version. Incredible really.

Varun

Staff
Nice attempt at trying to swing this into something it isn't. None of what you have written has anything to do with the post I quoted which said his high wages are a reward for his loyalty. Didn't think it'd need to be pointed out but it's a ridiculous thing to say given he's just signed for you.

roonster09

Scout
Barca have the highest wage bill now, didn't have it in the past. And they do it because in recent history they're the best club. Best club = best paid players. It's a very logical connection.
They had, almost from 10 years Barca had one of the highest wage bill.

It's logical connection, I don't deny it. It's just your other posts that are illogical.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
They had, almost from 10 years Barca had one of the highest wage bill.

It's logical connection, I don't deny it. It's just your other posts that are illogical.
Well, 10 years ago they were still at the top of the game, with Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o. In the late 1990's and early 2000's they weren't even close to having the biggest wage structure.

Nice attempt at trying to swing this into something it isn't. None of what you have written has anything to do with the post I quoted which said his high wages are a reward for his loyalty. Didn't think it'd need to be pointed out but it's a ridiculous thing to say given he's just signed for you.
I'm not swinging anything. Someone implied Dembele wanting to play for Barca is the result of money first and foremost, which it obviously isn't. PSG use money as the triggering factor, Barca and Madrid use their position in modern football as their biggest weapon, and their history.

Barca and Madrid are the teams with the most Ballon d'Or winners having played for them btw. If you are a young player and want to reach the highest level, you join Barca and Madrid. Like it or not, that's true. You can pretend it's about money mostly, but it's not.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
Well, 10 years ago they were still at the top of the game, with Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o. In the late 1990's and early 2000's they weren't even close to having the biggest wage structure.

I'm not swinging anything. Someone implied Dembele wanting to play for Barca is the result of money first and foremost, which it obviously isn't. PSG use money as the triggering factor, Barca and Madrid use their position in modern football as their biggest weapon, and their history.

Barca and Madrid are the teams with the most Ballon d'Or winners having played for them btw. If you are a young player and want to reach the highest level, you join Barca and Madrid. Like it or not, that's true. You can pretend it's about money mostly, but it's not
Weird, I'm not getting an alert when you quote me.

Anyways, yes, I agree with you on the first point of this post.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Weird, I'm not getting an alert when you quote me.

Anyways, yes, I agree with you on this point.
So why don't you agree with the idea that PSG pay for loyalty while Barca/Madrid reward it, since it's obvious that money is used as a reward in one case, and as the appeal in the other? It's basically the difference between an oil club and a huge club millions of fans around the world and with a big history behind it.

Varun

Staff
So why don't you agree with the idea that PSG pay for loyalty while Barca/Madrid reward it, since it's obvious that money is used as a reward in one case, and as the appeal in the other?
Because when it comes to Dembele, there's feckall loyalty to reward given he's just joined you.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Would have dembele joined Barcelona this summer without this extremely generous offer? Probably not.

Would he have joined them at some later point in time? Probably.

It's not that hard to understand.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Because when it comes to Dembele, there's feckall loyalty to reward given he's just joined you.
The loyalty part is when you sign for a club and say that you didn't sign for another because you don't consider yourself ready to match the greatness of that club. When you support Barca, or are at the helm of Barca, that's what excellence means and what you work hard to achieve. Having a top talent working hard to get somewhere, while being realistic that he is not yet ready to match the challenge.

You can be loyal to the values of a club while playing somewhere else. So, just because Dembele is only now at Barca doesn't mean he wasn't a fan all along.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Great deal for the lad, well negotiated.
It's about time we see more of these crazy wages for young players, the transfer money explosion will catch up to the wage bill as well.

The loyalty is when you sign for a club and say that you didn't sign for another because you don't consider yourself ready to match the greatness of that club. When you support Barca, or are at the helm of Barca, that's what excellence means. Having a top talent working hard to get somewhere, while being realistic that he is not yet ready to match the challenge.
Just like saying "he joined Barca for the money" isn't true, you're also looking at it from only one side.

If Barcelona were so convinced by the players undying loyalty, they wouldn't need to pay him such a huge sum at his age. Of course they also did it to keep other clubs from luring him away with an even bigger contract once this one runs down.

"Rewarding Loyalty" with huge contracts is just another way of saying "Ensuring Loyalty"

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Great deal for the lad, well negotiated.
It's about time we see more of these crazy wages for young players, the transfer money explosion will catch up to the wage bill as well.
Yeah people make too big of a deal out of transfer fees wage bills are what really matters.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can you really talk about the loyalty of a player who has had 3 clubs at the age of 20? Each time he's had the chance to move to a bigger club, he's taken it.

It's super easy to be "loyal" to a club like Barca.

Varun

Staff
The loyalty part is when you sign for a club and say that you didn't sign for another because you don't consider yourself ready to match the greatness of that club. When you support Barca, or are at the helm of Barca, that's what excellence means and what you work hard to achieve. Having a top talent working hard to get somewhere, while being realistic that he is not yet ready to match the challenge.

You can be loyal to the values of a club while playing somewhere else. So, just because Dembele is only now at Barca doesn't mean he wasn't a fan all along.
I'll repeat what I said right off the bat man. You're saying/believing things which make you feel better.

No club hands a guy a ridiculously expensive contract as a reward for not joining them 2yrs earlier and costing them over a 100mil extra as a result. You're paying him 16mil a year because that's what he demanded and you caved in. If you could have made him agree to a 6mil contract, you would have.

Well, unless you think the money guys at your club are idiots.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Can you really talk about the loyalty of a player who has had 3 clubs at the age of 20? Each time he's had the chance to move to a bigger club, he's taken it.

Strangely enough he did show some loyalty to Rennes early in his career. He turned down a bunch of clubs so he could make his professional debut with them.

roonster09

Scout

It's hard not to be loyal when they pay 16 Million per year.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Strangely enough he did show some loyalty to Rennes early in his career. He turned down a bunch of clubs so he could make his professional debut with them.
He signed for Dortmund when he was 18 having played less than 30 games. I'm not blaming the kid at all but I'd not really call that particularly loyal.