Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I know that was before, not sure if it's necessarily still true. There's examples of Sancho doing similar things with COD. It's hard to tell how much of an issue it still is.
Apparently Shaw plays Fifa every afternoon guzzling Lucozade. maybe he's cut the Lucozade out by now but won't have cut the Fifa out. Better than going to the bookies though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What's weird to me with the chat in here is people being wildly optimistic in relation to Dembele actually being a net positive for us instead of an additional problem that could see Greenwood and Rashford absolutely knackered by the run-in.

If we brought Dembele in, it would be safe to assume James is on his way and no Sancho, which leaves us with wide options of:

- A half-crocked Rashford, who may well need time out of the team with his back.
- A teenager who needs correct handling and rotation.
- A player who is basically useless now, in Mata.

And Dembele... a player who may - or may not - see the pitch.

His talent isn't in question - if he could stay fit, you've one of the wide-men of his generation who it would be a surprise to absolutely nobody if he was contesting ballon d'or's a few years down the line, but it doesn't count for anything if you can't rely on him from game to game let alone month to month. In our predicament, with a frontline so bereft of depth, that's an unwise path to go down in our most congested season where games will pile on in such a suffocating manner.

I'm not against the player, but looking at it with cold logic, it looks like a really risky idea if he's the sole forward we bring in this window.

Sancho and Dembele could well be vying for #1 WF on the planet throughout their careers, but the major difference between them right here and now is one has barely missed a game to date, the other, it gets harder and harder to recall a proper run of games from. It's easy to say they are neck and neck and as a contingency option one can spot the other, but one logically comes in and aids us across two positions almost as a certainty whilst the other could leave us even thinner than we currently are.

I'd think you'd need Dembele + other (say a Perisic, or even James staying) to cover for the loss of Sancho as it's not 1:1 in terms of fitness. But then, you're looking at a significant outlay in wages if it's two players coming in from outside the club.

el3mel

So what's the deal, get Dembele for one year loan then try again for Sancho next summer ?

FreddieTheReddie

Why would we try to convince a player who doesn’t want to come? Isn’t it against Ole’s philosophy? Has to be part of the mind games with Dortmund or he lost his mind.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Will it make sense to get Sancho if we manage to get Dembele on loan? I meant if we get Dembele on loan, will we bid fort Sancho? Don't think we will go ahead with Sancho then

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Anyone remember this cnut who didn’t want to be here - what could possibly go wrong?

Redcy

If we get dembele we are effectively abandoning our pursuit of sancho

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Why would we try to convince a player who doesn’t want to come? Isn’t it against Ole’s philosophy? Has to be part of the mind games with Dortmund or he lost his mind.
Dembele is already at Barcelona. So yes we have to pursuade him. Ole philosophy is taken way too seriously here. Let him win something before we buy into his philosophy. Ofcourse Dembele would need to be convinced considering our position

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If we get dembele we are effectively abandoning our pursuit of sancho
It makes absolutely no sense that we'd go for someone who has no intention of being here.
As has been posted, the last time we did that with di Maria, it went pear shaped really quickly. Dembele has already refused a loan to Liverpool, who admittedly are probably a lot more attractive at this moment in time (and it absolutely kills me to type that!) so what chance do we have of him wanting to come here, unless he's forced too, and that will be disasterous in my opinon.

If it’s a loan - then the player doesn’t need that much convincing. He should see it as an opportunity to show Barcelona how good he is.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If it’s a loan - then the player doesn’t need that much convincing. He should see it as an opportunity to show Barcelona how good he is.
But he could also see it as the first step of Barca getting rid of him.
He could use it as an opportunity to show Barca how good he is, but the first injury he gets and is out for a while, his career at Barca is over. Yes we'd have no obligation to buy (unless Barca insert a clause saying so) so we could send him back, but the chances of him playing for Barca again would be slim to none. At least if he stays there, any injuries could see him get some game time

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just shows you our transfer strategy. fecking diabolical is what it is. Leave it to the last few days to look for alternatives. Chiesa and now Dembele. We’re a bunch a feckwits and we’ll go nowhere until Glazers, Woodward all feck off.

But he could also see it as the first step of Barca getting rid of him.
He could use it as an opportunity to show Barca how good he is, but the first injury he gets and is out for a while, his career at Barca is over. Yes we'd have no obligation to buy (unless Barca insert a clause saying so) so we could send him back, but the chances of him playing for Barca again would be slim to none. At least if he stays there, any injuries could see him get some game time
Ultimately it’s down to his attitude. It looks like it’s over for him at Barcelona.

My point is that, if he’s here on loan, then it’s only for 9 months, and that’s not a big decision to make.

He would have the opportunity to get his career back in track.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't get that moment where he basically was 6 yards out from goal, 3-0 up v Liverpool, last min, and fluffs it.
Score that and Liverpool would have been totally demoralised, and don't end up winning the cup.
Sigh.

Infestissumam

thing is, he can't even be bothered to motivate himself at his "dream club". I don't want to find out what his attitude would be at a loan club. Stay far, far away please.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Ultimately it’s down to his attitude. It looks like it’s over for him at Barcelona.

My point is that, if he’s here on loan, then it’s only for 9 months, and that’s not a big decision to make.

He would have the opportunity to get his career back in track.
I suppose so, but he could have done that at Liverpool and refused it.

Plus he must know his injury record will likely impact him wherever he goes. He must know that his time at Barca is coming to an end, but feels like he's still got a massive point to prove there and wants to fight for his spot. I just don't think we need a player who's head won't be fully here, regardless of how long it's for. Thats just my opinion though, but at the same time, i'd rather take Dembele than absolutely no one at all.

GameOn

thing is, he can't even be bothered to motivate himself at his "dream club". I don't want to find out what his attitude would be at a loan club. Stay far, far away please.
So much this.
He plays at his "dream club" and his attitude is still absolutely atrocious.
He would make di Maria look like a motivated and hard-working professional, if he comes here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't believe United would be in talks with Barcelona if Dembele didn't want to join us. I fully believe he wants to join us and him refusing to extend his contract at Barca (reportedly) says he wants out too.

Abhinav

So much this.
He plays at his "dream club" and his attitude is still absolutely atrocious.
He would make di Maria look like a motivated and hard-working professional, if he comes here.
Tbf to di Maria, he did have a spring in his step for a good few months when he first arrived. Unfortunately for us, the honeymoon period didn't last too long and LVG & the burglars ensured that any enthusiasm was duly extinguished.

Stacks

It makes absolutely no sense that we'd go for someone who has no intention of being here.
As has been posted, the last time we did that with di Maria, it went pear shaped really quickly. Dembele has already refused a loan to Liverpool, who admittedly are probably a lot more attractive at this moment in time (and it absolutely kills me to type that!) so what chance do we have of him wanting to come here, unless he's forced too, and that will be disasterous in my opinon.
most big name players sent on loan would rather stay and fight for a place at their current club

Castia

So what's the deal, get Dembele for one year loan then try again for Sancho next summer ?
I feel it’s now or never for Sancho. We won’t get a free run at him again and on top of that there’s no saying we’ll even finish top 4 he’s going to want CL football.

We’ve had about 6 months to sort this deal out and according to virtually every journalist agreed personal terms weeks ago, if we can’t get it done now we’ll never do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.