Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol: And we will go for that last drunk attempt right before closing.

Should be a fun last day of the window!!
Perhaps it's a masterstroke and we're getting him and Sancho. Now that would be a drop the mic moment for our Keystone Cops!

Yeah, who am I kidding!

izec

So what would be the point?
We'd have to pay his wages whilst he doesn't contribute, basically leaving us exactly where we are now, except with more wages that we'd have to pay.
If it was a loan on a pay as you play deal given his injury record, then yeah, that wouldn't be too bad, but he'd never ever agree to something like that.
The point would be to take the risk and hope he isnt injured that much. I mean what are the alternatives? If we don't get Sancho, almost any one will be a huge gamble. Sarr for 40m and on a 5 year contract with triple his Watford wages will be a huge risk as well.

Thiagoal

It’d be interesting to read the Dembele thread from his time in France or Germany! He was THE most wanted player on the caf!

He’s had a shocking couple of years but some are vastly underrating him- he would be a fabulous addition on a loan deal. A change of scenery may just reignite him

adam118

Did Dembele follow Scott Mctominay, Greenwood, Lindelof, Brandon Williams before today (on Insta)? Seems a strange bunch to follow if you are not teammates

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It will be ok as long as Greenwood is not injured at the same time. A loan is better than to buy Sarr for 40m, that is even more of a gamble.
That’s my thought as well.
but this is still just a back up for Sancho. I’m convinced they will blink soon

croadyman

It’d be interesting to read the Dembele thread from his time in France or Germany! He was THE most wanted player on the caf!

He’s had a shocking couple of years but some are vastly underrating him- he would be a fabulous addition on a loan deal. A change of scenery may just reignite him
Yeah that is what I reckon too but sounds from Spanish sources like they wouldn't consider a loan deal at all

welshwingwizard

Theres clear weakness in his hamstring. That doesnt get better over time, its the opposite. If we do go for him, we need to minimise risk by doing a loan with an option to buy at the end at most. Buying outright and not knowing if he can even play a season wouldnt make sense at all.
Didn't Giggs have lots of those early on in his career and learned to manage them with yoga etc?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

His ability is not in question by anybody that I've seen? Every cause for concern is coming from his injury record, and then, for some, from his supposed disruptive personality... basically everything but his ability once on the pitch is being scrutinised.

A couple of years ago, he wasn't a crock and was rightfully regarded as one of, if not the hottest prospect on the planet.

If we were guaranteed him being fit for even 75% of games, I think the consensus would be overwhelmingly in favour of taking him on loan. So I don't think it's got anything to do with anyone not rating him as he's clearly a special player, but that's next to useless if he doesn't play, which is a very realistic probability.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Perhaps it's a masterstroke and we're getting him and Sancho. Now that would be a drop the mic moment for our Keystone Cops!

Yeah, who am I kidding!
Not entirely impossible. We finally throw 120 million on Sancho while Ed forgets that Dembele smokescreen doesn't have to involve an actual and official offer.

Voilà, two wingers on the deadline day.

rotherham_red

Why is Twitter and the caf complaining about this latest tweet from Romano? We're still focusing on Sancho but are ensuring that we aren't caught short if he doesn't come this summer. That's the bare minimum of what we should be doing as a club, ffs.

Because we're apparently insistent on it being a loan means we're still confident of Sancho coming next year as well. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Tbh with his talent, I'd actually be ok with us having a £45m obligation, if needed. He's an unreal talent and I'd much rather him than someone like Sarr. If we were a truly ambitious club, we'd get both him and Sancho, but as it is, we won't.

No Love

Doesn’t this little twerp regularly miss training due to a video game addiction? Not to mention his horrific injury record in recent years. Doesn’t even seem to be too hot on leaving Barcelona, either.

fecking hell. We need to stay away from this signing. I honestly think we’d be mad to pursue this.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Why is Twitter and the caf complaining about this latest tweet from Romano? We're still focusing on Sancho but are ensuring that we aren't caught short if he doesn't come this summer. That's the bare minimum of what we should be doing as a club, ffs.

Because we're apparently insistent on it being a loan means we're still confident of Sancho coming next year as well. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Tbh with his talent, I'd actually be ok with us having a £45m obligation, if needed. He's an unreal talent and I'd much rather him than someone like Sarr. If we were a truly ambitious club, we'd get both him and Sancho, but as it is, we won't.
I think the main problem, as has been pointed out several times on this thread, is that he doesn't want to come. Add to that his injury record and his apparent bad attitude at times too, it just spells disaster. A loan wouldn't be a bad deal, but if we had to pay his entire wage and he ended up injured for most of the season, that would be a bit of a waste in all fairness.

Also, if he's forced out of Barca and joins us reluctantly when in reality he wants to fight for his spot, then is he going to give it his all? Knowing his head would still be in Barca and he never wanted to come.... not too sure you know. It didn't work out too well with AdM

I think the main problem, as has been pointed out several times on this thread, is that he doesn't want to come. Add to that his injury record and his apparent bad attitude at times too, it just spells disaster. A loan wouldn't be a bad deal, but if we had to pay his entire wage and he ended up injured for most of the season, that would be a bit of a waste in all fairness.

Also, if he's forced out of Barca and joins us reluctantly when in reality he wants to fight for his spot, then is he going to give it his all? Knowing his head would still be in Barca and he never wanted to come.... not too sure you know. It didn't work out too well with AdM
Just because it didn’t work with Di Maria, doesn’t mean we should give another player a chance when it’s on loan. Di Maria started off well, and whilst I will never defend his attitude he was messed around by LVG.

If Barca don’t want him and send him out on loan, he will need to get over it pretty quick. Lots of players leave clubs they don’t want to leave and go on and have good careers elsewhere.

rotherham_red

But it's only for one season. If we were getting him on a permanent deal and committing to pay him several million per year for 4, 5, or 6 years, I'd say fair enough but it's just the one year and if he flops there's absolutely no danger of us being lumbered with him or trying to find a buyer for him.

We're desperate for another body there, and if we do go for him I'd like to think that Ole has done his background checks on him through Pogba and Martial. Also, having two other players around his age in Rashford and Greenwood, he might find it easier to settle here rather than coming in as the replacement to one of the best Barca players of the last decade. Which leads me to my other point: we already have Greenwood there. Even with his injuries, he would be our plan b, at least initially and it would be up to him to prove himself. We wouldn't be in a position where we're forced to play him every week. We can start off by giving him 10 - 30 mins a week and build him up and then by Christmas he and we could be all the better for it.

Cathy Ferguson

Surely Sarr is better than Dan James?? I dont know, as i have never seen Sarr play.
He is, but nowhere near Sancho and also a different type of player where Sancho can play in several positions and against low blocks. Sarr is a raw speed merchant who is unplayable on his day.

Chief123

This is probably the kind of player that ticks virtually every box for the players Ole does NOT want.

- Attitude problems....check
- Injury prone......check
- Doesn’t want to come Utd.....check
- Come for the money.......check

As much as I loved Dembele in his fit and primer days, we are absolutely not getting him. It’s a blatant smokescreen. He is the attacking version of Phil Jones. His potential will be ruined due to injuries. He will always be better on Fifa than real life.

Mainoldo

This is probably the kind of player that ticks virtually every box for the players Ole does NOT want.

As much as I loved Dembele in his fit and primer days, we are absolutely not getting him. It’s a blatant smokescreen. He is the attacking version of Phil Jones. His potential will be ruined due to injuries. He will always be better on Fifa than real life.
Well let’s hope Ed wants him because he’s talent as.. +#*

crossy1686

career ending
Dembele looks like a stop gap until next summer which would see a fresh run up at Sancho. It's smart really, we won't get another player as good as him on loan this window

ChaddyP

I dont even think he suits our style of play. It must be a Smoke screen

Adnan

Talent Spotter
"Dembele is questioning if it makes sense to stay at Barca. Man Utd want to sign him on loan with a option to buy. But Barca prefer to sell permanently which would open the possibility of Barca signing Depay"

croadyman

Dembele looks like a stop gap until next summer which would see a fresh run up at Sancho. It's smart really, we won't get another player as good as him on loan this window
Personally think it's now or never for Jadon but maybe I will end up being proved wrong

Redcy

I mean as long as it's a loan with a small fee and we can send him back if he (when he in reality) gets injured i don't really care. Just give me an option on the wing that isn't James and Lingard please
You don’t get to send an injured player back. You pay his wages injured or mot

I'd take Dembele on loan with an obligation to buy IF he plays 45 times. If he plays 45 times then he'll have a) shown fitness and b) proven valuable enough to Solskjaer to keep getting picked. In those circumstances why wouldn't we want him?
dembele hasn’t played 45 games in a year in nearly 4 years. In the last 21 months he’s has played 30 games

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not entirely impossible. We finally throw 120 million on Sancho while Ed forgets that Dembele smokescreen doesn't have to involve an actual and official offer.

:lol: Ed basks in accidental glory.

ravi2

The only scenario in which we can buy 2 wingers is if the Saudi's take over.

kirk buttercup

"Dembele is questioning if it makes sense to stay at Barca. Man Utd want to sign him on loan with a option to buy. But Barca prefer to sell permanently which would open the possibility of Barca signing Depay"
dont we get a percentage of Depay ? Sell James and Buy both Dembele and Sancho . Do things in the market ...

Status
Not open for further replies.