Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fra...-ousmane-dembele-must-improve-tardiness-habit

Deschamps on Dembele

"Ousmane has been with us for a while," Deschamps said in a news conference on Monday when asked about the player's toils at Camp Nou. "That's his usual trick to be late, although in his defense I'm sure he'll say: 'I'm not the only one.'

"Whether he's at a big club like Barcelona, with the French national team or somewhere else, he has to pay attention to that. It's part of the life and requirements of a professional footballer.

"He must improve to prevent it from becoming negative. These are situations that [have been] repeated. The sooner he understands that, the better for everyone."

Hardly a ringing endorsement of the guy. Everything about Dembele off the pitch says avoid like the plague. If he was to come in, head down, and put a shift in, then fair play I'll be chuffed to have him here. I just can't see it playing out like that.
We shouldn't sign Sancho either because he's also guilty of doing the same and according to Christian Falk and European football correspondent Andy Brasell, Bayern asked Guardiola for a reference on Sancho before he left City and Guardiola told them that he was hard to handle and caused him many issues. Sancho has also been late for duty a number of times and even feigned illness to leave City.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I disagree, I always thought the move to Barcelona was wrong for his playing style. He would be coming to a club that's probably a little more relaxed off the field with a style of play to suit him and lots of players his own age, plus a couple of French internationals he probably already knows. If he can't make it work here I doubt he can anywhere else.
If he wants to be here and he has a reason to be motivated, then great. All the noise around this one is not great though. It appears as if we are a bit desperate for a right winger, but we are not that convinced by him (hence the 1-year loan), and there's nothing to suggest that he really wants it to happen either. I'm only interested in players that want to play for Manchester United. The last few years have taught us invaluable lessons, but signing players for the wrong reasons and pretending large amounts of cash will fix it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His playing style fits EPL more than Barcelona. It will be great to see him in EPL if this transfer goes through. However it is hard for me to believe Barca will part with a talent young player from their aging squad. It doesn't make sense.

Stacks

And you lot seem desperate for a signing, any signing really. The EPL is far more physical and demanding then La Liga. That means if Dembele wants to succeed then he'll have to work more, he'll have to run more and he'll face far more tackles then in La Liga. Good luck keeping such injury prone player with attitude issues focused.
He is not any signing. I wanted to try him out since Dortmund. And i don't want him permanently. I thought it was a loan signing so why not?

Plus he managed 42 games in 2019 and is FAR better than James and a better RW than Greenwood

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he's unwilling to extend his contract which has two years to run per Romano. Then Barca have to try and sell him in this window because if they don't his value is gonna nose dive by next summer.

Stacks

It is a meaningless big name signing meant to get the fans off the owner's backs.
Meaningless? So we have Greenword and James. as RW options Are any of those proven better Right Wing options than Dembele?

Is Dembele not a much better option than James and Pereira or Lingard?

I get it. you were one of the Sancho muppets who think Sancho is the only option..........

chin up. It could be a touch!

mshnsh

His game definitely isn't suited to Barca, even though he does offer something different when he plays. Their footballing culture is unique so his loose technique and and one touch play stands out, which was the case for Sanchez as well who went on to be a star player in the PL. There's a good chance if Dembele came here, his technical shortcomings would be under less of a spotlight and he'd be more relaxed and gain confidence, provided he can stay fit.

Ironically, Sancho would have been a perfect Neymar replacement for Barcelona as he's far more technically consistent and his passing in tight spaces and footballing IQ is elite level.
Agreed totally.

Redcy

He is not any signing. I wanted to try him out since Dortmund. And i don't want him permanently. I thought it was a loan signing so why not?

Plus he managed 42 games in 2019 and is FAR better than James and a better RW than Greenwood
Welll thats one way to look at the figures, or he actually played 29 games in the calendar year 2019.

Redcy

And 1 game in 2020, so 30 games in 21 months.

MalcolmTucker

I’d agree with your comment if the Barcelona team you were referring too was during guardiola era but dembele wasn’t even playing football then. He might be very inconsistent but his technical ability is why Barcelona even paid over a 100million for him. I also don’t like the rashford comparison because rashford is more of a physical specimen than a technical one whereas dembele has great technique mixed in with speed.
It’s also another reason we are highly interested even though he has a terrible injury record.
There's a reason that there are many people in this thread saying he doesn't suit Barcelona's style of play. Barcelona paid over £100m for him yes and he has been a flop so far for them, because of injuries but also because his fundamental technique isn't consistent enough to play the neat football they play - this is an obvious observation to anyone who has seen him play for them.

The reason he is coveted is because he's one of the most explosive talents in the world who has a unique skillset, not because he is a technician.

Also I feel you're underrating Rashford, Dembele relies on his physical gifts just as much.

dev1l

I thought the main issue was he didn’t want to leave? Just give them a big loan fee and then factor that into the option to buy fee. That way some of the risk is taken from us if he turns out to be a crock but also Barca get some cash up-front.
Barca want to get rid but his contract still has 2 years to run.
His agent is advising him in favour of seeing out his contract , that s why publicly Dembele is saying he wants to stay.
All posturing in order to get the best deal for him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fra...-ousmane-dembele-must-improve-tardiness-habit

Deschamps on Dembele

"Ousmane has been with us for a while," Deschamps said in a news conference on Monday when asked about the player's toils at Camp Nou. "That's his usual trick to be late, although in his defense I'm sure he'll say: 'I'm not the only one.'

"Whether he's at a big club like Barcelona, with the French national team or somewhere else, he has to pay attention to that. It's part of the life and requirements of a professional footballer.

"He must improve to prevent it from becoming negative. These are situations that [have been] repeated. The sooner he understands that, the better for everyone."

Hardly a ringing endorsement of the guy. Everything about Dembele off the pitch says avoid like the plague. If he was to come in, head down, and put a shift in, then fair play I'll be chuffed to have him here. I just can't see it playing out like that.
A 21 year old that's regularly late. Hardly the crime of the century. You also have no idea if that's change within 2 years, I imagine it has.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Meaningless? So we have Greenword and James. as RW options Are any of those proven better Right Wing options than Dembele?

Is Dembele not a much better option than James and Pereira or Lingard?

I get it. you were one of the Sancho muppets who think Sancho is the only option..........

chin up. It could be a touch!
Let's start from the end of it shall we? I am not a Sancho muppet. Actually I question the wisdom behind buying a winger at 100m+ when the defence is in shambles. If I was Ole I would have distributed the budget on a top CB, a LB, a RW, an STK and possibly a DM. Greenwood would be our first team RW but we would still have cover to give him some rest, meanwhile our pathetic strength in depth will be strengthened considerably and we'll have a shot at the EPL title.

Having said that I also see the financial wisdom in bringing in Sancho. We would be having England's forward line for the next 10 years in our hands, a money generating machine that will probably turn into profit 6 months after the Covid crisis had ended. If an ancient Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham could rake millions to Juve/AC Milan then imagine what our juggernaut of merchandising machine can do with Jadon, Rashy and Greenwood.

What I do not accept is spending an entire summer courting a player only for us to end up with an injury prone reject with a rotten attitude. He'll be useless because he'll spend most of the time in the treatment room and when he's not he'll probably encourage players to become like him. I happen to remember the time when Bosnich was signed. Bosnich and Yorke had a history at Aston Villa and once the two met again at United it was all over for Yorke. The best striker at our club turned shit in matter of months and according to rumours Cole could have ended in the shitters as well.

So if the club is so pathetic to spend an entire summer courting just 1 winger only to end up with nothing then I'd rather see us not buying anyone rather then Dembele. If we need cover for Greenwood then I'd rather see us buy Amad Troure or even keep the flash. At least they would be available when you need them.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

In 2019-2020 he vanished in the treatment room in August 19 and he reappeared in September 30th. Then he vanished again in November 28 only to reappear in August. A similar record can be noticed during the 2018-2019 year. Not to forget his shit attitude which was criticised both at Dortmund and at Barcelona.

You're right he's not any signing. He's a horrible signing.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The only club he should go to is Bayern to fix his attitude issue and improve his professionalism. He is immature based on the reports so he needs the guidance of iron fist style teammates, coach and club culture for his own good. He can probably add on 20 lbs pure muscle mass staying there in a year too.

MattofManchester

So, we went from arguably the biggest talent in Germany to a player who has attitude issues and is never fit, nor wants to actually leave Barca.

Umm, what?
If Fabrizio is right about Dortmund wanting all that money upfront, then that is ludicrous, and we should have moved on months ago.

But why are we then targeting someone who doesn't want to leave, let alone come here?
Don't want another Di Maria saga, let alone for someone who can't stay fit.

Mainoldo

So, we went from arguably the biggest talent in Germany to a player who has attitude issues and is never fit, nor wants to actually leave Barca.

Umm, what?
If Fabrizio is right about Dortmund wanting all that money upfront, then that is ludicrous, and we should have moved on months ago.

But why are we then targeting someone who doesn't want to leave, let alone come here?
Don't want another Di Maria saga, let alone for someone who can't stay fit.
No this was the player that was the biggest talent in Germany 2 years ago. Don’t disrespect him.

He has his issues but if he gets it right we are talking about one of the best footballers in world football for his age.

Mainoldo

So what does Dembele want? He does not want to leave on loan nor does he want to extend his contract. Weird character
Probably doesn’t want to leave and price himself out of a deal at the sametime.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
In 2019-2020 he vanished in the treatment room in August 19 and he reappeared in September 30th. Then he vanished again in November 28 only to reappear in August. A similar record can be noticed during the 2018-2019 year. Not to forget his shit attitude which was criticised both at Dortmund and at Barcelona.

You're right he's not any signing. He's a horrible signing.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So what does Dembele want? He does not want to leave on loan nor does he want to extend his contract. Weird character
A free transfer and big contract else where, and don't want to leave the nice weather, beach and food of Barcelona. That's obvious. He will get plenty of game time if he stays anyway as Barca's squad is paper thin.

Bestie07

Barca probably want him to extend his contract by a year before they allow him to leave on loan to preserve his value, as otherwise he will only have a year left on his deal this time next year and would not command a big fee.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A 21 year old that's regularly late. Hardly the crime of the century. You also have no idea if that's change within 2 years, I imagine it has.
It’s not only that. He also has serious issues with his regime and is, apparently, quite addicted to video games (which is absolutely normal for someone his age, but many hours per day spent in a seated position and a hectic sleeping schedule can’t be good for a professional footballer). He still has a lot of time to rethink his priorities though.

RUCK4444

Think this would potentially be a huge waste of time and money.

Backup loan signing if we don’t get Sancho, that’s all I’d consider.

He embodies everything we don’t want in a signing:
Poor attitude
Doesn’t want to be here
Shocking injury record

It would be a massive come down from signing Sancho and one I’d be very wary of.

Bobski

I understand the doubts but I think there is potential massive upside in a Dembele deal. Barca was the wrong move from him, Messi can be a little suffocating for erratic talent like Dembele, hard to grow when the best option is always give it to Messi. Dembele, back at his Dortmund level would be a huge asset, and the PL might fit his style of play. Must admit he was one of favourite players to watch pre Barca, love players with pace, dribbling ability and the courage to take men on and try the difficult.

Loan with a reasonable to buy option would be a great option if they are not convinced by Sancho.

seegoblu

For those who don't believe that Barca will sanction a loan deal because they need cash to fund other deals, you shouldn't forget that La Liga has strict maximum salary rules that are the biggest obstacle to Barca buying in this window. Despite the departures of Suarez (presumably bought out), Rakitic, Vidal and the swap of Arthur for Pjanic, they still don't have much room to maneuver. Loaning Dembele out not only gets his salary off of their books but any loan fee would be valuable in securing Depay.

In short, don't think that a loan wouldn't work for Barcelona as wage control is as important as incoming transfer fees.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It’s not only that. He also has serious issues with his regime and is, apparently, quite addicted to video games (which is absolutely normal for someone his age, but many hours per day spent in a seated position and a hectic sleeping schedule can’t be good for a professional footballer). He still has a lot of time to rethink his priorities though.
I know that was before, not sure if it's necessarily still true. There's examples of Sancho doing similar things with COD. It's hard to tell how much of an issue it still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.