Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Smith

I am open to this transfer as I trust Ole and his team to do their due diligence on his attitude and whether he would be a problem. If Ole sanctions it, I won't be worried. I do think he's an outstanding talent who the right manager can turn into a superstar.

That said, I don't really believe the links; I think this could either be us using Dembele as a negotiation tactic to drive down the Sancho price, or Dembele's camp trying to put him on the radar of big clubs.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Dembele is a bit immature, but he's not a bad apple, he just needs a bit more structure, which I feel Ole along with Pogba can help him with. I'm in agreement with those saying it'd have to be a loan with option to buy to minimize risks, but I feel Dembele would show enough when he is healthy to make United want to pull the trigger and he could still be an injury risk for his entire career if he doesn't sort out his muscle issues. If he can sort it out, then he's someone Barcelona will seriously regret even giving a chance to get away, as he was quite useful to them last season despite his issues.

As an added bonus, if United got Dembele, they'd dominate the market on completely ambidextrous footballers with him & Greenwood.

I mean who wouldn't want to see this if there's a chance it can work for a good price?

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Not the first player to have his career waylaid by Messi FC.

Obviously a talent but does seem like posturing in the Sancho talks.

If it’s him or Sancho for RW I’d be happy.

We need an rvn

bad attitude, too injury prone - not worth the risk, especially given we've just started to get the dressing room atmo back in the right direction, last thing you need is him in it

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
As an added bonus, if United got Dembele, they'd dominate the market on completely ambidextrous footballers with him & Greenwood.
There a trophy for "Dominator of the market on completely ambidextrous footballers, which apparently has a size of 2" or what?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The speculation about bad attitude has come from the Spanish press. They are notorious for smearing players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The speculation about bad attitude has come from the Spanish press. They are notorious for smearing players.
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to see people repeat it. He is/was immature and that's about it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he's an amazing talent but no way in hell should be we paying anything over £30m for him. He's injured regularly and when he does it's a bad one too.

If he was moving for free he'd be worth the risk, but not for a crazy amount that Barca would want.

IMO we're just leaking to the press to give Dortmund a speed up.

JPRouve

Scout
Didn't he kick off and make an absolute stink to force through the move to Barca?
Aboslute stink is a stretch, he missed training in "protest". It's very immature and clearly wrong but I don't see people repeating that Jadon Sancho has a bad attitude when he has done the same thing at City in order to leave the club and Dortmund for no particular reason.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dembele is a bit immature, but he's not a bad apple, he just needs a bit more structure, which I feel Ole along with Pogba can help him with. I'm in agreement with those saying it'd have to be a loan with option to buy to minimize risks, but I feel Dembele would show enough when he is healthy to make United want to pull the trigger and he could still be an injury risk for his entire career if he doesn't sort out his muscle issues. If he can sort it out, then he's someone Barcelona will seriously regret even giving a chance to get away, as he was quite useful to them last season despite his issues.

I mean who wouldn't want to see this if there's a chance it can work for a good price?

His contracts have been published by football leaks:
As far as I know Barca have to pay out the remaining fee to Dortmund if they sell him before the end of his original contract. Supposedly that's €20m. So one would assume they would demand at least that much (and then some) as a loan fee.
He gets a base wage of €12m p.a. with various bonus payments on top of that, e.g. €1.25m each for playing 60% of games and reaching CL QF.

He's had severe injury problems and if the stories in the papers are true he's a disciplinary nightmare. As far as I know he had some good moments for Barca, but imho it takes some work to fit him in tactically. None of that sounds like a potential bargain or minimized risk to me, quite the opposite actually.

Aboslute stink is a stretch, he missed training in "protest". It's very immature and clearly wrong but I don't see people repeating that Jadon Sancho has a bad attitude when he has done the same thing at City in order to leave the club and Dortmund for no particular reason.
Sancho is English and the muppet's dream of the summer, so naturally people are blind to his shortcomings. I would say however that there is a (big) difference between a senior key player going on strike right before season start and a youth player leaving the academy, because he intends to terminate his youth contract (which as far as I know he had the right to do). Didn't Dembele even do something similar when RB tried to sign him from Rennes?

Last edited:

Nick.

Should only be considered on a loan with option to buy. Sancho should still ge the priority.

AFC NimbleThumb

Really is rinse & repeat on here.

The same journalists/newspapers that get their credibility mocked for transfer speculation are listened to as gospel when it comes to knowing certain players actions/attitudes - it’s comical.

Judas

Open to offers
Fair enough, it was awhile ago I didn't remember the exact details of what went down.

Adamsk7

Do not want. He’s potentially a great player but his injuries have really set him back and they show no signs of going away.
If it were just that I would suggest, as others have, taking a punt on loan but his reported immaturity/bad attitude makes me very wary. Ole has spent so long getting the right players in, the wrong ones out and culturing the right attitude and commitment levels from our players. We literally can’t afford even one bad egg to rock the boat and regardless of speculation, he DID force a move and kick up a stink to move to Barca and that’s the kind of player we don’t need.

Adamsk7

Sancho didn’t remotely kick up a stink in the same way as Dembele. His contract ran out and he didn’t sign a new one because he was unsure on playing time under Pep. Pep then left him out of the preseason tour.
Dembele literally didn’t show up for work whilst still under contract! If I did that I’d be sacked. It’s not only immature but it IS a bad attitude and unprofessional

JPRouve

Scout
That's not due to the stadium though but due to their inability to sell high and purchase efficiently. The signed Son, Alli, Alderweireld, Sissoko, Janssen(22m), Aurier, Moura, Sanchez, Ndombélé, Bergjwin or Sessegnon since 2015. These players have for some been the reason why they have been successful and others are the reason why they aren't as good today.
Spurs financed the stadium with borrowings, it has little to do with their ability to purchase more players. The problem is that they wouldn't have the means to purchase more players even without the stadium, they are in the bracket of clubs that can't afford to pay big fees on players and not see a quick impact, they don't have the squad depth and they don't have the deep pockets to try their luck again.

JPRouve

Scout
Sancho didn’t remotely kick up a stink in the same way as Dembele. His contract ran out and he didn’t sign a new one because he was unsure on playing time under Pep.
Dembele literally didn’t show up for work! If I did that I’d be sacked. It’s not only immature but it IS a bad attitude and unprofessional
Sancho went back to London and didn't show up for work, he also did it with Dortmund. You are trying to make a difference for the sake of it, purposely missing training is unprofessional in both cases.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sancho went back to London and didn't show up for work, he also did it with Dortmund. You are trying to make a difference for the sake of it, purposely missing training is unprofessional in both cases.
That’s true.

I think the focus should be on, have both of them turned the attitude around? I’d like to think what defines them is what they do from here on in rather than past indiscretions

JPRouve

Scout
That’s true.

I think the focus should be on, have both of them turned the attitude around? I’d like to think what defines them is what they do from here on in rather than past indiscretions
Sancho still had issues this year. Dembélé may still be immature, he is still playing Mario kart with Piqué and Griezmann. :lol:

Adamsk7

You are right, after looking it up. I do still feel that is a different circumstance though. He told Pep he was leaving (which he was free to do) so Pep left him out of the preseason squad and he didn’t report to training in Manchester. Whilst still not great, considering he had just a few weeks until he was actually leaving and his manager had been equally petty, I can understand why, even if I don’t agree with it.

Dembele’s contract wasn’t ending and Dortmund were not going to sell for less than they wanted so he did try to force their hand whilst he had time remaining on his deal.

I will agree that both acted immaturely and unprofessionally

Kostov

Barca won’t be looking for an option to purchase, it’ll be a commitment to buy or just a loan with zero agreements at the end.
If he can get his head down and focus on developing, then take up yoga or something to help prevent his constant injuries, then he could be a good signing. But as of now he’s yet another Dortmund sale flop.
Barca won't be in a position to be asking anything by the looks of it. Something similar to Alexis and us, they'be lucky if someone is willing to pay 50m.

Pep's Suit

This! Sancho, aged 17, didn't return for pre-season, didn't return calls, just went completely awol. Seems hilarious grown-ups here are defending him. Yes, it was a good decision to leave but there was no reason to act like a spoiled, arrogant child.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sancho didn’t remotely kick up a stink in the same way as Dembele. His contract ran out and he didn’t sign a new one because he was unsure on playing time under Pep. Pep then left him out of the preseason tour.
Dembele literally didn’t show up for work whilst still under contract! If I did that I’d be sacked. It’s not only immature but it IS a bad attitude and unprofessional
From memory the likes of Berbatov, Rojo, Mkhitaryan and Saha did similar things to try to force a move to us. Could be wrong with one or two of them, but I'm sure there have also been others as well.

I don't think Dembele necessarily has a bad attitude in the sense that he is a trouble-maker, but that he is unprofessional. Isn't he (or at least was?) addicted to gaming and regularly stays up to all kinds of hours so doesn't get enough sleep (or sleeps in and is late to training), and also doesn't look after his diet and eats all kinds of rubbish. Two things that are definitely bad for somebody who is suffering from regular injuries. Of course, those rumours could also be just the press talking shit about him since he isn't working out at Barca.

JPRouve

Scout
From memory the likes of Berbatov, Rojo, Mkhitaryan and Saha did similar things to try to force a move to us. Could be wrong with one or two of them, but I'm sure there have also been others as well.

I don't think Dembele necessarily has a bad attitude in the sense that he is a trouble-maker, but that he is unprofessional. Isn't he (or at least was?) addicted to gaming and regularly stays up to all kinds of hours so doesn't get enough sleep (or sleeps in and is late to training), and also doesn't look after his diet and eats all kinds of rubbish. Two things that are definitely bad for somebody who is suffering from regular injuries. Of course, those rumours could also be just the press talking shit about him since he isn't working out at Barca.
My understanding is that he is a terrible timekeeper and that's about it, he can be late for training or not realize how late it is at night which isn't excusable but it's not as bad as some portrays it. The gaming thing is strange because he mainly plays with Barcelona players. I'm pretty sure that Dembélé "professionalism" would drastically improve in the proper environment, one of the issues mentioned about Barcelona is that there is not structure that helps young players figure things out, they don't have that type of leadership its a sink or swim type of club which is generally not a good thing for young immature players. My issue with him is that I don't know if he is a new Hargreaves or Robben.

Irrational.

I'd take him as an alternative to Sancho if Dortmund are playing hardball, even though I'm still mad at him for gifting Liverpool the CL last season.

Andersons Dietician

I think like many have said this perception that he is a bad apple is just nonsense. Basically boils down to immaturity staying up late playing video games.
The Dortmund stuff he was clearly advised to do to get his move. Rennes backed out of an agreement they had with him and his advisors when they realised they could get more money for him.

Injuries are the biggest worry but if a deal for a loan or 40mil purchase then I’d take him. Mostly dependant on if Sancho is a deal or no deal situation. If he isn’t then let Dembele fight it out with Greenwood. Probably a better thing for Greenwood than 80-90 mil Sancho coming.

Seen Dembele play as a CAM as well like Lingard used to do for us so could be an option with Fred and McT behind him. Let’s not forget if he’s fit and on form he’s capable of the spectacular. Just one of those players that makes you sit on the edge of your seat as anything is possible. His pace and ability to draw 5 players to him and beat them is something I’d like to see at OT.

Any way I’m pretty sure this noise is just a negotiating tactic to let Dortmund know there are other possible options and Sancho is still the main priority.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Think he needs a coach who becomes a father figure for him. He's immature and unprofessional but still very talented. Someone like Ferguson or Heynckes would probably have gotten him back on track.

I still think his underwhelming performances overall for Barcelona is primarily down to a huge misunderstanding. He was never a Barca player, should not have moved there and Barca should never have been interested in him. Dembele is just not suited for possession football. But in a system that builds on quick transitions into vertical football, he's perfect and could become one of the best attackers in the world. So I believe he'd be a good signing for you guys if you don't land Sancho.

keithsingleton

I wouldn't like the signing even if it was our only option. There's simply too many negatives about the player. Hoping it's just a bargain tool to keep price down on Sancho.
I also think Ole would have his work cut out keeping him in check.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's always sad to see injuries seriously hamper the development of talented players. His general play was good but inconsistent and his numbers were mostly impressive for his age. For a moment there right before Barcelona bought him it looked certain for him to evolve into a special player, and Barcelona paid such a huge fee to see him realise his potential at their club. He hasn't really produced anything close to what he did at Dortmund and certainly hasn't evolved into a world class player. Martial and Rashford and a few others who struggled when he was good has surpassed him.

It is a good example to show the risk involved when trying to buy a youngster that looks like he'll become world class even before he's had time to really established himself. We did it with Martial and it paid off, but sometimes it doesn't and you are left with a player under half of the value you bought him for. It just shows it's not good to be desperate in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.