Film Overrated movies

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
All highly rated movies I didn't like are overrated.

So, erm, damnit I'm so mainstream I can't think of any. Does all Harry Potters count?

OleBoiii

Scarface
Maybe I would have liked it if I saw it for the first time in the 80's, but it does not stand the test of time.

Gladiator
MASSIVELY overrated. Great music and action scenes, but everything else is average or below.

Fight Club
This is actually a good movie, but its fans overrate it to such extremes.

Your Name(Kimi No Na Wa)
A good movie for sure, but it doesn't deserve as much acclaim as it gets. The marketing team must have done a hell of a job.

Most of the classics
If you don't have childhood nostalgia on your side, then you better be a complete film nerd. Otherwise you're likely to be let down. Not just by the overall quality, but the narrative as well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Scarface
Maybe I would have liked it if I saw it for the first time in the 80's, but it does not stand the test of time.

Gladiator
MASSIVELY overrated. Great music and action scenes, but everything else is average or below.

Fight Club
This is actually a good movie, but its fans overrate it to such extremes.

Your Name(Kimi No Na Wa)
A good movie for sure, but it doesn't deserve as much acclaim as it gets. The marketing team must have done a hell of a job.

Most of the classics
If you don't have childhood nostalgia on your side, then you better be a complete film nerd. Otherwise you're likely to be let down. Not just by the overall quality, but the narrative as well.
Blasphemy. Tony Montana is one of my biggest role models.

Well, maybe not role model, but come on. Say good night to the bad guy.

Fingeredmouse

Most of the classics
Maybe you should start an edgy thread on this very point?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Can I just say , I think 2001 A Space Odyssey , is shit.
You can but you’d be wrong :lol:

Think of it in the context of when it was made. Im sure it seems shit now but back when I was a young boy it had a massive influence on me.

The modern day has interstellar but this was the daddy of sci fi as we all know. 2001 thoroughly deserves its place.

OleBoiii

Maybe you should start an edgy thread on this very point?
I know where you're headed, so I'll just say this: it's not an edgy opinion. I would even go as far as to claim that it's a rather popular opinion among the general public and cinephiles who aren't interesting in cutting old movies any slack.

Roosney

Sideways - annoys me to death.
Big Lebowski - tried watching two times but no

evil_geko

Parasite (2019)

A great movie actually, but I cringe when I read "best movie in the last 10 years" and similar stuff. It's not even best in 2019 for me. Great movie but vastly overrated.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Papillon (1973)

Far too slow, I quit 40 mins in. Dialogue was also mediocre to that point.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, because I know bugger all about the Manson family or their murders.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Reliant - It scored more than 1 on more than one review.

It’s the worst movie I’ve ever seen. By a distance.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, because I know bugger all about the Manson family or their murders.
Watched it last night and really enjoyed my time with it. But I was thinking at the end if you had no clue about the Manson Family and Sharon Tate, it certainly would have been a confusing experience

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I watched Seven Psychopaths last week and it really was not the movie I was expecting and was thoroughly disappointed with it. I very much liked both other movies from that director (In Brugges and Three Billboards), had been meaning to watch it for years but was always still certain I would enjoy it. I was very wrong though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Watched it last night and really enjoyed my time with it. But I was thinking at the end if you had no clue about the Manson Family and Sharon Tate, it certainly would have been a confusing experience
I didn't make the connection until I read about it afterwards and realised that I knew who Tate already was. I thought Polanski was going to be the important one of the couple based on the fact that he's an arsehole. It's not exactly general knowledge to be honest. Not being a dick but there's more impressive cults than a bunch of hippies who cut their foreheads and the whole angle comes across as too Hollywood centric - liking their own proverbial ring pieces. I also didn't realise that Charles Manson appears near the start of the film.

The dumb thing is that nothing I'm posting is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it, like you said it's required knowledge to enjoy the film in its entirety.

I also don't like seeing dogs with cropped ears. Especially staffies, because it's just not needed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I watched Seven Psychopaths last week and it really was not the movie I was expecting and was thoroughly disappointed with it. I very much liked both other movies from that director (In Brugges and Three Billboards), had been meaning to watch it for years but was always still certain I would enjoy it. I was very wrong though.
My favourite movie that, but it's admittedly a coin toss whether folk like it or not.

hubbuh

Most of the classics
You’re ruling out a huge amount of cinema. You don’t have to be old/a nerd to enjoy the old classics, just someone that enjoys good film and is capable of appreciating early filmmaking style and in some cases black and white.

hubbuh

Parasite (2019)

A great movie actually, but I cringe when I read "best movie in the last 10 years" and similar stuff. It's not even best in 2019 for me. Great movie but vastly overrated.
What was the best of 2019 in your opinion?

OleBoiii

You’re ruling out a huge amount of cinema. You don’t have to be old/a nerd to enjoy the old classics, just someone that enjoys good film and is capable of appreciating early filmmaking style and in some cases black and white.
I didn't say all of the classics. And more importantly: I didn't say the classics aren't good. In fact, I enjoy many of them.

I do find most of them overrated, though. Huge difference.

Jack-C20

Not sure what how well rated this film is with everyone else but me and the other half thought Blade Runner 2049 was terrible. I actually nodded off a couple of times in the cinema. I survive on little sleep but that was the only time I’ve ever nodded off during a film at the cinema. Googled the reviews when I came out and it seemed we were in the minority. I should maybe rewatch to see if it’s any better this time.

OleBoiii

Parasite (2019)

I mean, if it's one of the best movies from a given year, then it's not preposterous to claim that it's the best movie of its decade? That is unless 2019 was a particularly bad year for cinema or if the decade was particularly strong. I don't think any of the two is the case.

It's all subjectivity at one point, though. If both Movie A and Movie B both are loved by critics and the general audience, then there is no true way of deciding which movie is better. It all depends on the person you ask.

Copa Mundial

I like Tarantino movies but found Once upon a time in Hollywood to be an utter borefest!

Art Vandelay

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - They are just a shit version of Willow that rip the arse out of the run time.

Wonder Woman - It's barely even good, the amount of ridiculous over the top praise it got was unreal.

1917 - Visually stunning at times, but the story wasn't all that good and large chunks of it were watching some guy gurning as he ran.

ROFLUTION

Gravity is such a shitty ripoff of 2001's aesthetics and the whole Sandra Bullock / George Clooney romance is so fecking boring, predictable and cringeworthy.

Then she flies around mid-air in her knickers which is supposed to carry the movie and create some sort of retro-wank PR teaser, and to top it off and gloriously show the World that women can do stuff too (of course they can, you mongtards), we get a brave story about how Sandra Bullock can save her half naked arse from space and back to earth. And thats the part everyone raves about - "Yeah but what about the second half of if? Thats was also crap you old feckaholics

And also that Matt Damon movie in space. fecking hell dont get me started. Saves the planet or his life or whatever, comes back to earth, but all the time in the end when he's back on earth you just hope he gets hit by a bus. Would make the best director's cut ever