Film Overrated movies

Devil81

Mad Max: Fury Road.

No idea why it's rated so highly.
That movie just gave me a huge headache.

Fair enough, visually it was amazing but the movie itself was just mental.

pauldyson1uk

Strange thread. Reminds me of a Liverpool supporting mate who had an odd strong dislike of Rio Ferdinand. "I just don't like him", oh ok mate.

I'm currently halfway through reading the entire film thread. I've been tallying up the ratings and I hope to come up with a Caf top 100 of sorts. It will take another couple of weeks at least - and I'll probably only update it once a month. However, I'm hoping it helps at least 1 person see a film they wouldn't have necessarily opted for, and be pleasantly surprised - hopefully the polar opposite of this thread...
I do post quite a lot in that thread and I do watch some rubbish, but I have also watched some fantastic films of the back of that thread.

3KDré

THANK YOU. Worst film I've ever seen.
In fairness it was made in 1968, it was supposed to be more so about the visuals and whatnot more than anything else I am guessing. We wouldn't find it that amazing nowadays given that CGI has been used to show all corners of what could be in outer space but audiences back then had never witnessed anything as such. Again, I am just guessing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Passengers was a steaming pile of shit
I have a very trusting friend. I told her to watch Passengers and turn it off just after the 'discovery' and subsequent montage of indifference.

She thinks it's one of the best hours she's seen in years.

I know it as one of the most pitiful attempts at a final act, ever. She knows it as a solid hour of cinema. Highly recommend anyone to enjoy it as she did.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I have a very trusting friend. I told her to watch Passengers and turn it off just after the 'discovery' and subsequent montage of indifference.

I know it as one of the most pitiful attempts at a final act, ever. She knows it as a solid hour of cinema. Highly recommend anyone to enjoy it as she did.
Quite like the idea but I saw it at the sinemer.

izzydiggler

It's a great film but The Dark Knight is always on people's top 10 lists and is 4th?!? on IMDB's best films ever, which I find hugely generous. I guess a lot is down to Ledger's performance and the tragedy surrounding it.

Goes for Nolan films in general - again on IMDB, Inception is 14, Interstellar 32, Memento 47, Prestge 48, Dark Knight Rises 63 (absolutely ridiculous) and Batman Begins 114.

I really like them all but I'd say all of them are hugely overrated.

Sigma

In fairness it was made in 1968, it was supposed to be more so about the visuals and whatnot more than anything else I am guessing. We wouldn't find it that amazing nowadays given that CGI has been used to show all corners of what could be in outer space but audiences back then had never witnessed anything as such. Again, I am just guessing.
Yeah I agree. Times have changed and audiences now a days require more fast paced movies than 2001, it hasn't aged well. My opinion might have been different if I seen it in the cinema in 1968.

pauldyson1uk

Good post , for 1968 is was cutting edge.
I have watched it a few times, some parts of it are OK I just hate most of it.
Strange there has been no remake of this, with the advanced CGI now.

Fingeredmouse

Anything directed by Eastwood.
Anything starring Sean Penn.
Babel.
21 grams.
Prometheus (pretty much no-one likes it and it's still over-rated)

decorativeed

Similar could be said about Tomorrowland.

decorativeed

It's a great film but The Dark Knight is always on people's top 10 lists and is 4th?!? on IMDB's best films ever, which I find hugely generous. I guess a lot is down to Ledger's performance and the tragedy surrounding it.

Goes for Nolan films in general - again on IMDB, Inception is 14, Interstellar 32, Memento 47, Prestge 48, Dark Knight Rises 63 (absolutely ridiculous) and Batman Begins 114.

The IMDB top 100 is the definitive list of overrated films though. Shawshank Redemption is not the greatest film of all time. It's good, but workmanlike, there's next to nothing distinctive about it. The story's decent, as are the cast, but beyond that..?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

I'm really not in to superhero movies but absolutely loved the Dark Knight so I think it did a good job of reaching a wider audience.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Absolutely. It's a great film, and one of the best examples of the genre, but, well, it's not genius - and neither is it the work of art.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Wellll, I've had Blade Runner on my must watch list for years now. It had to be the right time for it. Everything was set up for me to love it; the sci fi dystopia, the cinematography, the depth.

It was good. Very enjoyable. I love the dystopian world, but you hardly see any of it. It feels like everything happens within one block of LA.
The depth...yeah, there's some, but not as much as I expected.
The cinematography was good at points, mainly the bit where she gets shot through all the windows.
But it was fairly lacking in a few important ways for me. Aside from the depth, which I expected more from (I've read up on it since to see what things, if any, I missed. Wasn't as much as I expected), the story itself was actually quite simple. It was really easy to find those replicants being the main annoyance.

Very good film, very cool world, but lacking a little from all the hype I'd seen over the years, and because of that I'm sorry to say I think it's overrated.

They need to do a high budget series so that we can get the most from that world, imo. Looking forward to the second film though.

Last edited:

Pscholes18

No one should ever put any stock into the IMDB 100.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
More recently, The Revenant. There was so little going on in the movie it was ridiculous.
I finally watched this.
Find it very strange to read this because it felt like a pretty relentless journey throughout for me. One thing after the next.
I liked the film, although there wasn't much special about it. They got across the gruelling nature of it all well though.

Did think Tom Hardy was particularly weak. I love him for certain roles but I'm realising he's quite one dimensional.

spwd

THANK YOU. Worst film I've ever seen.
I don’t think it’s the worst film ever but it’s definitely overrated.

Wait, people actually like Passengers?!
I actually liked it yes, also agree that he was selfish but wouldn’t you do the same? Arrival was shite though, I was really looking forward to it as well.

Bebe

I have just watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, it was crap when I watched it the first time, it was even worse the second time round.
Interesting. Saw it in theatres and thought it was forgettable, watched it again last year and thought it was brilliant.

spwd

Having watched The VVitch on tv the other day it’s got to be in here, it’s definitely well overrated.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Veronica is a horror film that was overrated recently. Whilst it was a really good movie, people said shit like "so scary I passed out" and all that hyperbole.

0le

I believe fight club is overrated. Its not a terrible film, quite enjoyable, but overrated.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anything Christopher Nolan has made since The Dark Knight.

Man can make a Go Compare advert and people will claim is the best thing since sliced bread.

Sweet Square

Anything Christopher Nolan has made since The Dark Knight.

Man can make a Go Compare advert and people will claim is the best thing since sliced bread.
:lol:

The Dark Knight Rises is up with some of the worst super hero movies of all time, how he escape that shite I'll never know.

Kag

I watched Batman Begins for the first time the other night (bizarrely, I’ve seen the other two).

Thought it was fairly shite. Neeson is wasted and Oldman’s character is quite weak. Although that’s probably because I’m comparing him with what is a very underrated performance in the Dark Knight.

I also watched the Jurassic Park trilogy for the first time in my life, having seen lots of little bits of all three. I can sort of see why the first one was impressive given its release but there isn’t much of a story going on. Malcolm, by far the most interesting character, gets sacked off straight away and it’s all a bit underwhelming in the end.

The second and third films are terrible.

lsd

The Oracle
Veronica is a horror film that was overrated recently. Whilst it was a really good movie, people said shit like "so scary I passed out" and all that hyperbole.
That seems to be the case with horror films especially as regards American audiences "oh the paranormal films were so scary I passed out and now can't sleep alone "

It's a feckin door opening and closing because they have no budget .

Sweet Square

That seems to be the case with horror films especially as regards American audiences "oh the paranormal films were so scary I passed out and now can't sleep alone "

It's a feckin door opening and closing because they have no budget .
I'm not so sure, this stuff was around in the 70's as well. Stories of people passing out or vomiting while watching Alien or fainting while watching the Exorcist, granted those two are scary for some but in the end it's a film, it's not real.

I think people like to show off or feel like their getting their moneys worth. Basically it another reason why to never go to cinema unless you know it's going to be empty.

Last edited: