g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Overrated movies

Shark

@NotShark
What's your lot take on American Beauty? Absolutely loved it but ages ago. Afraid of ruining it by re-watching it.
One of my favorite movies ever. I've watched it so many times now, and it never gets ruined for me.

NK86

Back to the Future and all its sequels - such a stupid plot and a boring, boring story line. Cannot believe how highly rated it is.

Tarrou

Back to the Future and all its sequels - such a stupid plot and a boring, boring story line. Cannot believe how highly rated it is.
Yeah, I'd imagine that's how I'd feel if I watched them for the first time now, but I love them. It's a kids film and it 's amazing if you were a kid when you first watched it.

NK86

Yeah, I'd imagine that's how I'd feel if I watched them for the first time now, but I love them. It's a kids film and it 's amazing if you were a kid when you first watched it.
I watched them years back but I found it absolutely insane even then. The caricature character of the doc/scientist was awful.

NK86

I know i have that opinion exclusively, but: anything with Christoph Waltz in it. Such a ham actor.
Waltz is a brilliant actor. Don't understand your point mentioning him. He has excelled in all his roles.

NK86

Birdman - How the feck it won the oscar over Whiplash I will never know. Found it boring and pretty bland.

NK86

It's ahead of its time though, i remember i was amazed with number 2 seeing future la and stuffs.
I didn't find it ahead of its time tbh. Just showed a few inventions which was already talked about a long time back.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Birdman - How the feck it won the oscar over Whiplash I will never know. Found it boring and pretty bland.
Edward Norton, the soundtrack and few other things. Tough year to win something, especially with Grand Budapest Hotel also stepping up.

Last edited:

Thunderhead

Supports
City
most overrated film of all time is Withnail and I it's a total bag of wank

Eddy_JukeZ

Animated movie, but I've no idea why Inside Out is so highly rated. Not saying it was a bad movie, but it's gotten too much praise for me.

I feel like the entire movie would have been far better if the girl was still a little kid vs growing up a bit.

Cloud7

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but Django Unchained. I remember people talking about this movie for so long. I was really hyped to see it. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I found myself really underwhelmed afterwards after all the hype the movie received.

More recently, The Revenant. There was so little going on in the movie it was ridiculous. After all the great work Leo did over the years, for him to finally get his Oscar from that movie was strange.

Silas

Mad Max: Fury Road.

No idea why it's rated so highly.

Swaters16

More recently, The Revenant. There was so little going on in the movie it was ridiculous. After all the great work Leo did over the years, for him to finally get his Oscar from that movie was strange.
You mean you didn't enjoy a three hour nature documentary featuring Di Caprio?
I agree, though. It's just not very good. Not the story, not the acting, not the sound, not the cinematography. The backdrop does look amazing, sure and some of the long stretches without cuts are impressive but that's it. Di Caprio isn't even that good in it. Not oscar worthy at least. People were just so desperate for him to get one they were going to throw it at him no matter what, and hype whatever film he was in.

Swaters16

Animated movie, but I've no idea why Inside Out is so highly rated. Not saying it was a bad movie, but it's gotten too much praise for me.

I feel like the entire movie would have been far better if the girl was still a little kid vs growing up a bit.
I think people know it's not a cinematic masterpiece, it's just a very likable film. It has a lot of heart and nice characters, so no one is going to talk poorly of it because there's not a whole lot to dislike. It means you only ever hear good things about it.

Bole Top

I actually enjoyed The Revenant, but mainly because of setting. I felt you could put any other actor there and it really wouldn't make a difference, but Di Caprio just had to get his oscar so I wasn't that surprised when he won it.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think people know it's not a cinematic masterpiece, it's just a very likable film. It has a lot of heart and nice characters, so no one is going to talk poorly of it because there's not a whole lot to dislike. It means you only ever hear good things about it.
Honestly I think I'm mostly bothered by the fact that it's got 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

In general, I agree there's no great flaw in the movie.

NK86

Every character i see him play looks the same to me. Opposite of acting in my book. But just my personal view.
So you think his performances in Django Unchained, Inglorious Bastards and Carnage are the same?

NK86

didn't see the last one, but in the other two flicks he was doing his usual bit, overacting like hell.
You are the only person I know who has called his performance in IB as 'overacting'. Didn't he win an Oscar for it too?

GazTheLegend

The third Lord of the Rings movie. It was terrible. The book was even worse. Spends 2/3 of the movie clearing up loose ends in vaguely unsatisfactory ways.

Even the main battle felt overly cgi and boring. I was battled-out by then I think though.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
All Nolan movies are a bunch of pretentious boring crap.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
No Country for Old Men.
Thought it was a bit meh.
I've watched it twice but still couldn't recall a line or scene now if you asked me.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I actually enjoyed The Revenant, but mainly because of setting. I felt you could put any other actor there and it really wouldn't make a difference, but Di Caprio just had to get his oscar so I wasn't that surprised when he won it.
Best grunting in an motion picture?

stretford_oslo

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but Django Unchained. I remember people talking about this movie for so long. I was really hyped to see it. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I found myself really underwhelmed afterwards after all the hype the movie received.
Watched this for the second time the other day, and i actually think it's under rated if anything. Christoph Waltz is amazing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You mean you didn't enjoy a three hour nature documentary featuring Di Caprio?
I agree, though. It's just not very good. Not the story, not the acting, not the sound, not the cinematography. The backdrop does look amazing, sure and some of the long stretches without cuts are impressive but that's it. Di Caprio isn't even that good in it. Not oscar worthy at least. People were just so desperate for him to get one they were going to throw it at him no matter what, and hype whatever film he was in.
Try getting mauled by imaginary bear.

It's the bear I tell ya

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Captain America. The Winter Soldier.
Currently sitting on 7.8 on IMDB.
It's just a standard superhero movie in my humble. Nothing stand out here apart from the costume and a long way away from Nolans Batman trilogy.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Captain America. The Winter Soldier.
Currently sitting on 7.8 on IMDB.
It's just a standard superhero movie in my humble. Nothing stand out here apart from the costume and a long way away from Nolans Batman trilogy.
Seconded that. Bog standard superhero movies dubbed as having a very realistic fighting scene... Like what....

GazTheLegend

The new superman film (Man of Steel) was total and utter shit. Possibly the worst film I've seen in years.

The story was awful and disconnected, the dialogue atrocious and the acting barely "truemovies" level. I walked out after 45 minutes when I realised that no - it's not going to get any better. So i suppose it could in theory have improved but I hated every minute of it.