Film Overrated movies

spwd

Read really good reviews for "Arrival" and found it incredibly boring.

I love my sci fi and was excited to see this but god how boring.

I saw City of God last year and thought it was brilliant.

Same here, fantastic film.

Anchorman - about as funny as any other Will Ferrall film.

The Wolf of Wall Street - Boring, overlong, one-note attempt at recreating the greatness of Goodfellas. But intead of a terrific script, flawless direction and Liotta, De Niro, Pesci, Sorvino & Lorraine Bracco on top of their collective game we get bashed over the head repeatedly with hookers & coke and Jonah Hill for 3 hours.

Mad Max: Fury Road: Overblown, cartoonish, characterless bore.
I agree about mad max but The wolf is a brilliant film, how can you not see that.

Fight Club
Face/Off
There Will Be Blood
The Revenant
Dreamgirls
Life Is Beautiful
LaLaLand
Crash
The Departed
Million Dollar Baby
Skyfall
The Shawshank Redemption (decent but not TBFOAT)
The Social Network
Drive
The Thin Red Line
The Shining
Wtf, one of the best films ever!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wtf, one of the best films ever!
Not even as good as the film it copied and more an overacting competition than a film. Hated it.

Arrival on the other hand was a very good film. One of the best sci-fi films in a long time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Beasts of no Nation.

One of them films your supposed to like cos its such a powerful story, filmed through the eyes of a child, has that guy from the wire in it and your a heartless git if you don't like it, etc.

Boring rubbish.
Boring? Elba's performance was better than the film itself but it was far from boring.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
2001 A space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Brazil, Tree of life, Beasts of the Southern Wild.
Mixed bag there 2001 is pretentious rubbish, I haven't seen the Tree of Life but the three 3 are utterly brilliant.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Interstellar. People go on about it as if it's scientific brilliance but the ending was an insult to intelligence.
Be careful, it's a popular film to like.
I think it was shit, and am tired of people asking if i 'understand the ending' , like it was difficult to understand.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Be careful, it's a popular film to like.
I think itvwas shit, and am tired of people asking if i 'understand the ending' , like it was difficult to understand.
I hated it. The second half in particular.

Hojoon

I stopped watching Wolf of Wall Street after like ten minutes. Is it considered more than a fun movie to watch with your friends for a good laugh?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not even as good as the film it copied and more an overacting competition than a film. Hated it.

Arrival on the other hand was a very good film. One of the best sci-fi films in a long time.
Hear hear. Thought Departed was shite.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't like listing things as "overrated" as it's all subjective but I recently watched Se7en and thought it was average. Pitt and Freeman were great and worked well together, but the movie just felt flat to me. I didn't think Guardians of the Galaxy, Heat or The Big Lebowski lived up to the hype either.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's the greatest film of all time.
It is utter bollocks. Standard computes goes mad stuff with the ending (and monlith in general) being pure gibberish. Combine that with Kubrick's incapacity to film emotion of any sort makes it truly terrible. It makes Interstellar seem sensible and believable.

IMO of course.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I like the film but...what layers?
Shawshank has layers man. The obvious religious allegory, broad existential themes (Sartrean, Sisyphean most obviously), aesthetics, art and knowledge, symbolism scattered throughout, freedom (physical/metaphysicalyuk!). That's not to comment on the depth, or quality of the layers, but I'd say the film stacks a fair amount together. Personally Paul Newman is my go to prison-yard Christ figure.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
It is utter bollocks. Standard computes goes mad stuff with the ending (and monlith in general) being pure gibberish. Combine that with Kubrick's incapacity to film emotion of any sort makes it truly terrible. It makes Interstellar seem sensible and believable.

IMO of course.
I think when watching a film like this it's important to remember when it was made. Had you seen it back when it came out it would've been ground breaking in its story, copied and made standard since.
That said, it's very boring.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Shawshank has layers man. The obvious religious allegory, broad existential themes (Sartrean, Sisyphean most obviously), aesthetics, art and knowledge, symbolism scattered throughout, freedom (physical/metaphysicalyuk!). That's not to comment on the depth, or quality of the layers, but I'd say the film stacks a fair amount together. Personally Paul Newman is my go to prison-yard Christ figure.
I think you are reverse engineering stuff into the film that was never there. It is a simple tale. Even simpler than the (great) novella it came from.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think when watching a film like this it's important to remember when it was made. Had you seen it back when it came out it would've been ground breaking in its story, copied and made standard since.
That said, it's very boring.
I did see it when it came out (well not long after it came out).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I didn't think it was rubbish but it was a fun, well done, OTT reboot. Could have lived without it of course.
Stylish? Yes but for me completely lacked any substance. Just a brainless film.. maybe I just don't get the concept. Personally found it a chore.

Tarrou

The most annoying thing about Interstellar for me wasn't the ending, which I liked. It was the braindead stupidity of pretty much every character in the movie.

I don't have much faith in humanity, but I'd like to think if we end up in such a situation we won't risk the future of the human race because we're a bit loved up, or lonely.

Oh and the "love is the answer" bit, obviously.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The most annoying thing about Interstellar for me wasn't the ending, which I liked. It was the braindead stupidity of pretty much every character in the movie.

I don't have much faith in humanity, but I'd like to think if we end up in such a situation we won't risk the future of the human race because we're a bit loved up, or lonely.

Oh and the "love is the answer" bit, obviously.
When did that happen? The loved up bit?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
When Anne Hathaway made the case to go to her boyfriends planet despite everything thinking it was less favourable.
Ah, well... that's human nature. It would have been odd for her character not to even mention it and we know that her family are a bit... selfish anyway. She should never have been up there in the first place given her emotional ties.

Tarrou

Ah, well... that's human nature. It would have been odd for her character not to even mention it and we know that her family are a bit... selfish anyway. She should never have been up there in the first place given her emotional ties.
Yeah. I wouldn't have been so wound up by it if she hadn't made the whole love speech, the was horrific viewing for me!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Shawshank has layers man. The obvious religious allegory, broad existential themes (Sartrean, Sisyphean most obviously), aesthetics, art and knowledge, symbolism scattered throughout, freedom (physical/metaphysicalyuk!). That's not to comment on the depth, or quality of the layers, but I'd say the film stacks a fair amount together.
This is like my Freudian interpretation of Peppa Pig.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
More seriously, I'm a sod for reading too much into books or films I like. So I don't blame dumbo if he's done the same.