g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Overrated movies

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
There's a certain type of film that blows your mind when you're fourteen years old, especially if you're male, but when viewed as an adult, seems trite and ridiculous. Luc Besson films, Shawshank Redemption, City of God, Fight Club etc.

Not that those films don't have value but they tend to get overpraised.

pauldyson1uk

Something I'm wondering here is whether some films were just awesome but only in their time.

Pulp fiction I saw aged 19 when it first came out and it completely blew me away.

Fight club was another one. Went to see it knowing nothing about it and I absolutely loved it.
I dont mind Plup Fiction.
Fight Club is a cracking film.

Watched the revenant the other day
I'd put that in this list, but with the caveat that I suspect the cinematography would have been much better on the big screen

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
........dont know if been mentioned......but the LOTR triology.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
There's a certain type of film that blows your mind when you're fourteen years old, especially if you're male, but when viewed as an adult, seems trite and ridiculous. Luc Besson films, Shawshank Redemption, City of God, Fight Club etc.

Add Gladiator and every other Denzel Washington/Tom Hanks film to that.

djdhrubs

Genuinely thought id be on my own on that one.
First one was fine, second was excellent but the third was a let down. Though I did watch it immediately after returning from India one evening, was pretty tired and desperate to take a dump for the last hour or so of the movie, so that might have had something to do with the underwhelm.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I saw City of God last year and thought it was brilliant.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Shawshank Redemption - Very good movie, but I wouldn't say it was amazing. It's rated number one in IMDb, and I would expect the number one movie to be amazing.
i back you. It doesn't suck, but.. clichee story, seen before 100 times, delivered with too much pathos.Designed to be a feelgood movie. Try "time of the gypsies" isntead. Or "dancer in the dark".

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Traffic - the worst film ever, 7.6 rating on IMDB. Maybe I was too young to appreciate it, but all I remember is sitting in the cinema for the best part of 3 hours waiting for something to happen and nothing did.

Half the cinema had walked out half way through the movie, we stuck it out, but contemplated leaving.

It was just a slow movie, no action, no excitement. I just fail to see any attraction it it.

Can anyone speak differently of it?

Other overrated films... The Hangover. It wasn't actually that funny, was fairly predictable. I much preferred the next 2.

Other overrated film Les Miserables. Visually stunning, but was over sung! I can't stand a musical where even basic conversation is sung.

John_Jensen

Anchorman - about as funny as any other Will Ferrall film.

The Wolf of Wall Street - Boring, overlong, one-note attempt at recreating the greatness of Goodfellas. But intead of a terrific script, flawless direction and Liotta, De Niro, Pesci, Sorvino & Lorraine Bracco on top of their collective game we get bashed over the head repeatedly with hookers & coke and Jonah Hill for 3 hours.

Mad Max: Fury Road: Overblown, cartoonish, characterless bore.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gravity_2013/ 97% is as high as it gets.. A movie should not just be rated on those points. Yes, visually and sound wise it was amazing but the story was bang average if not poor.
I partly agree, some of the concepts were a little weak, but the wider point about over powering locals is steeped in history and was an interesting way to get inside that history with a modern twist.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Watched it not that long ago and was disappointed, even the shocking bit are a bit tame now, but it is still a classic , not top but in the top 5.
Top 5 horror film, no way! It doesn't stand the test of time.

Try night of the living dead. A brilliant film even to this day in black and white

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
There's a certain type of film that blows your mind when you're fourteen years old, especially if you're male, but when viewed as an adult, seems trite and ridiculous. Luc Besson films, Shawshank Redemption, City of God, Fight Club etc..
Scarface.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Anchorman - about as funny as any other Will Ferrall film.

The Wolf of Wall Street - Boring, overlong, one-note attempt at recreating the greatness of Goodfellas. But intead of a terrific script, flawless direction and Liotta, De Niro, Pesci, Sorvino & Lorraine Bracco on top of their collective game we get bashed over the head repeatedly with hookers & coke and Jonah Hill for 3 hours.

Mad Max: Fury Road: Overblown, cartoonish, characterless bore.
Have to agree on Mad Max, I found it boring as feck. A 2 hour car chase that all just feels the same and very pointless.

The Wolf of Wall Street is brilliant though. Each to their own on this one. I found it fun, exciting, energetic. So complete opposite to you.

Tarrou

I liked Mad Max. Really fun movie but yeah the hype probably did go a bit overboard with that one.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I saw City of God last year and thought it was brilliant.
This. Easily one of best movies of all time. Ground breaking filming techniques that still hold today. A grittyness and reality that embodies the dark sides of the favelas.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Watched the revenant the other day
I'd put that in this list, but with the caveat that I suspect the cinematography would have been much better on the big screen
I think it played a big role. It truly looked incredible on a big screen. I've bought it on Bluray, but I know it won't have the same strength.
:lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Inception
12 Years A Slave
The Revenant
Slumdog Millionnaire
The King's Speech
Apocalypse Now

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Inception - fun and amazingly the plot more or less held together
12 Years A Slave - could have been so much better
The Revenant - grunting
Slumdog Millionnaire - not that bad, quite fun
The King's Speech - unjoyable throw away film
Apocalypse Now - stunningly good (as long as you don't watch the Redux version)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Fight Club
Face/Off
There Will Be Blood
The Revenant
Dreamgirls
Life Is Beautiful
LaLaLand
Crash
The Departed
Million Dollar Baby
Skyfall
The Shawshank Redemption (decent but not TBFOAT)
The Social Network
Drive
The Thin Red Line
The Shining

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The idea of overrated/underrated films is so so stupid. And here is my list:

Life of Brian - like 4 really strong bits and a good song. Whereas Holy Grail is a riot from start to abrupt finish. Overrated due to controversy and fashionable god bashing.
Aliens - A thunderingly simple-minded film and the Ripley character is hung out to dry. Overrated due to big guns and good effects.
The Godfather Part 2 - defined the modern gangster flick and it's still one of the best of that bunch, but part 1 is like a great book by a great author and that must be good because books are serious. Overrated because people don't read books.
The Big Lebowski - Hilarious but empty and meaningless wild goose chase. By design of course but yeah. Overrated because stoners think it's cool and they think pot is cool too. Well it's not, it's illegal.
The Big Sleep - Lebowski but without the hilarity and pot. Overrated because confusing must mean smart and you can pretend to understand it, or the Git Gud at liking films mentality.

Overrated, not bad films. I like them all.

JON.B

Sloop
I had the misfortune of watching Manchester By The Sea at the weekend, what a terrible fecking movie! I usually like drama but this was so boring and the characters, especially Affleck were just so poorly written that I found it impossible to feel or like anything about them. And after more than two hours the ending is beyond shite that I felt mad for not giving up on it sooner. But of course the critics loved it, go figure.

Simbo

Beasts of no Nation.

One of them films your supposed to like cos its such a powerful story, filmed through the eyes of a child, has that guy from the wire in it and your a heartless git if you don't like it, etc.

Boring rubbish.