Film Overrated movies

Red Stone

I love Star Wars, but anyone with eyes can rip it to bits. Even the original trilogy has moments that are a bit shit. I still plough through all the movies at least once a year, because despite all the flaws, it's still great entertainment.

The Big Lebowski is just pure garbage, though. I'd rather watch a hemorrhoid-ridden arsehole open and close for two hours than sit through that piece of turd again.

Also, even though Temple of Doom is widely regarded as being pretty damn awful, it's still overrated. Especially considering it's up against Raiders and Last Crusade, which were both brilliant despite all the 80's cheese. I hate Temple of Doom with a passion. If someone says anything good about that film I'll probably disagree with them on principle, even if it's reasonable praise.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I love Star Wars, but anyone with eyes can rip it to bits. Even the original trilogy has moments that are a bit shit. I still plough through all the movies at least once a year, because despite all the flaws, it's still great entertainment.

The Big Lebowski is just pure garbage, though. I'd rather watch a hemorrhoid-ridden arsehole open and close for two hours than sit through that piece of turd again.

Also, even though Temple of Doom is widely regarded as being pretty damn awful, it's still overrated. Especially considering it's up against Raiders and Last Crusade, which were both brilliant despite all the 80's cheese. I hate Temple of Doom with a passion. If someone says anything good about that film I'll probably disagree with them on principle, even if it's reasonable praise.
:mad:

Yeah, well, that’s just like, your opinion, man

Last edited:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
This wanker I used to work with would quote that film often, so I decided to not watch it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I found Vertigo and The Conversation incredibly boring when I watched them, but that might just have been my mindset at the time.

The Big Lebowski is a brilliant movie. I put people who don't like it in the same category of person as those who read Katie Price or Jade Goody's autobiographies.

Touseef

The Prestige
Shutter Island
Amelie
The Usual Suspects
Million Dollar Baby
Brokeback Mountain
The Matrix
12 Years A Slave
Crash
Scarface
Inception
Latest Ape movie
Anything with super heroes lately that I've seen

Went slightly over the 3-5 remit by mistake
Although I disagree with some other on this list too, this is just insane. If anything, you could argue the movie is underrated and I feel this is the best Nolan movie to date...

Revan

Assumptionman
Although I disagree with some other on this list too, this is just insane. If anything, you could argue the movie is underrated and I feel this is the best Nolan movie to date...
Yeah, I don't get it too. 76% on RottenTomatoes, 66/100 on metascore and still somehow people say it is overrated. It is a very underrated movie and IMO it is the best Nolan's movie (or at-least second best after Memento).

Tarrou

It sounds like I'm just wrong about how highly it's rated. The RottenTomatoes and Metascore ratings quoted by Revan seem more aligned to my thinking. I just think it's a nice, 7/10 film and nothing more, but I hear a lot of people rave about it as if it's some kind of classic. I don't see anything special about it.

thepolice123

Revan

Assumptionman
Back to the Future.

Why on Earth it is rated that much? It is mediocre.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Actually I agree.

A lot of people dislike, and in many places despise, the movie, and yet it was acclaimed by most critics.

Good call on Crash. It was contrived garbage. It's difficult to execute stories where multiple stories are connected in large story. The Wire does it brilliantly, and Tarantino does it well(albeit it's easier to do it in absurd storylines).

Forrest Gump is awful on so many levels. Portrayal of Handicapped, cartoonishly shallow characters, portrayal of the hippies and AIDS. The worst of them all has to be the gist of that movie though: Conservatism of of Bumfeck Alabama is good whereas progressive ideas lead to unhappiness, disease and decadence. feck off.
@Rooney in Dublin likes this.

Inception is a heist film with some action in there, and a very good one at that. It doesn't have any depth except if you're engrossed in Cobb's personal melodrama, but doesn't try to be anything else.

It doesn't "try to be clever" or whatever ridiculous criticism is being levelled at it more than Ocean's 11 or other heist movies do, it's just its structure and universe which set it apart from other more conventional heist movies (which also made it be appreciated so much by large audiences as well, it was a tad more challenging to get into than a run of the mill film of that genre). People get way too flustered about Inception, I seriously find it hard to grasp exactly why. Well I know why Nilsson hates it, cos of Zimmer. But Nilsson is a Zimmer-hater.
It's just so bland, an anti-dream epic.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
It's not a movie
It's a very bold movie. I bet it will have a cult revival when 100s of movie copy small elements of the movie and make mainstream trash like inception-- a sub-par movie with some dream sequence, how innovative:rolleyes:-- get popular and people finally embrace Tree of life.

The Godfather - It's ok, but very boring in parts for me. Very overrated. I think people just say it's awesome because everyone else does.
Sin City - What a pile of rubbish, yet people creamed themselves over this one.
Lord of the Rings - My god it's long. Could they not have crammed it into one film?
The Blair Witch Project - Jesus Christ.
I agree with LoTR. But I disagree with The Godfather. It's a classic that deserves its reputation. The characters are complex and interesting, the twists are interesting and its fecking grand without glorying the ostentation--something that The gastby movie does, for example.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
You should see it and come up with your own opinion about it.
That's a shame. Giving it the best picture award was perhaps a stretch but it's a very effective and exciting thriller with some good acting by Affleck.
I was skeptic about it at the first place, I always thought it's some kind of comedy shits, but overall it's quite entertaining, but not worthy of Best Picture. You should see it, it won't disappoint.

Argo feckyouself was worth the 2hours :D
I like Argo a lot but think most of that is to do with the actual story and the events in the world at that time. Fascinated by it.
I guess I'll watch it now mostly out of curiosity. It's been on my list and I was upset when it won all those awards but I figured it was one of those diamonds in the rough.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Drive.

It's basically an hour and 20 minutes of style over substance.

I love the soundtrack and the style of the film but nothing much happens and then it ends and you're sat there thinking 'is that it?'

PvsNP

Drive.

It's basically an hour and 20 minutes of style over substance.

I love the soundtrack and the style of the film but nothing much happens and then it ends and you're sat there thinking 'is that it?'
I agree. I expected more, initially.

Tarrou

I really enjoyed Drive. No idea why they just released a re-scored version though, weird.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Jaws and The Shining.

The Shining in particular is overrated. Critcially panned when it was released too, not sure why it's all of a sudden become an instant classic.

Tarrou

Jaws and The Shining.

The Shining in particular is overrated. Critcially panned when it was released too, not sure why it's all of a sudden become an instant classic.
When it first came out a lot of people didn't get that it was an allegory for American Imperialism, so that is one factor that has changed opinion on the film.

Andy_Cole

Hipster's overrated film list:

Star Wars
Big Lebowski
Godfather
Sin City
Wolf of Wall St.
Se7en
The Matrix

These films were all great! Matrix was fecking amazing. Star Wars Empire Strikes Back. Don't get me started how good that is! They're not over rated. They're rated as they should be.

What next? C Ronaldo and Messi are overrated?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The fellowship of the ring!

The other two are quality. Fellowship is painfully dull. Sure it is cinematic, and new to the viewer at the time which I guess is the reason avatar and gravity did so well too...

But god is it long and dull.