Film Overrated movies

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Also, while it inspired more than three hundred of novels, more than dozen of video games, completely revolutionized movies, maybe, just maybe it isn't as overrated as you say.
Star Wars' cultural importance is undeniable.

Maybe 'A New Hope' and 'Return of the Jedi' are slightly overrated (although still good movies) but 'The Empire Strikes Back' is an amazing movie in every way. 'Revenge of the Sith', if anything, is underrated in spite of Hayden Christensen's terrible acting, which is thankfully a bit better than in the god-awful 'Attack of the Clones'.
This is precisely why it's overrated. This idea that it's cultral influence on one generation of kids makes it a brilliant film. A tale for all ages. Something "amazing in every way"....

It's not The Godfather. It's not Apocalyspe Now. It's not Ran. It's a kids film. A kids film with cool SFX, made at a time when space travel was really 'in' that captured the zeitgeist of the era it was made. But as a film, an actual film, it's pretty meh to middling for someone who didn't see it at a time when it was impressive. Bland hero, 2D characters, iffy dialogue and simplistic plots. The script would probably struggle to get anymore than a B-Movie deal with the Syfy chanel these days IMO. A school of thought backed up by the fact Lucas has never written anything else of import since, and his modern stabs at Star Wars have all been critically panned as terrible writing.

So maybe, just maybe, it was the zeitgeist after all.

The very fact it's so highly culturally regarded is precisesly why it's overrated. Because the generation that saw it at the time, who are now the culutral arbiters and people who make films themselves, have never let us forget how important it was to them as kids to see this movie. Hopefully when they die off we can move on to appreciating how Jurassic Park or Independence Day or The Goonies were actually some of the greatest, most brilliant works of fiction ever created. 'Cos that's about the level of film we're dealing with here.

Surely by the very definition of overrated, nothing comes close to Star Wars.

Last edited:

Jev

It is still an improvement on The Phantom Menace.
You think so? Attack of the Clones is by far the worst in my opinion. Hayden Christensen's acting makes Tommy Wiseau (The Room) look like an Oscar contender.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Don't agree, bolded ones were excellent movies imo.

on topic - from top of my head - Silver linings playbook and American hustle. I dont know which was more boring of the two. Still havent got the clue what the fuss was all about, esp. American hustle.

Also - Argo. Boring, booooring movie.
I thought Argo was brilliant, the final act was as tense as cinema gets in my opinion.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Hopefully when they die off we can move on to appreciating how Jurassic Park or Independence Day or The Goonies were actually some of the greatest, most brilliant works of fiction ever created.
You seem to be saying this in a sarcastic way? :confused:

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
the hype about a movie when its released says little about how its rated. Avatar is fairly well rated nowadays. Nobody is claiming that this is a particular special movie besides its 3d visuals. Its clearly nonsense to name it under the category "overrated". Its the same with Gravity. There were a shitload of negative critics and most people who saw it arent necessarily raving about it. If you start to talk about this movies, you could easily come up with 100-500 without any problem.

Inception is a slightly more reasonable shout.
Gravity is one of the most acclaimed films of the last twenty years. There weren't any negative professional critics.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Is Gravity worth watching at home or is it one of those that has to be seen on a big screen?

Jev

Gravity is nothing special when watching it at home on dvd but it was really something in the cinema. One of my most fascinating cinema experiences ever. Sometimes, that one-time, unique experience is what you should judge a film by, especially a blockbuster like Gravity, rather than it's durability.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Slum dog millionaire - the definition of mediocre. Got attention because it had poor helpless indian people in it. It's music was also rubbish but won awards.
Social network - a nothing movie made on a nothing story.
Avengers - flakey. All the superheroes suck.
Hurt locker - apparently only Americans are supposed to get it.
Inception - decent, nothing special. Girlfriend left me me in the hall to watch half of it alone.
Lost in translation - I was a bit young when I saw it so I could be wrong.
Spider-Man series - the with that little guy in it, I forget his name.

Tarrou

the hype about a movie when its released says little about how its rated. Avatar is fairly well rated nowadays. Nobody is claiming that this is a particular special movie besides its 3d visuals. Its clearly nonsense to name it under the category "overrated". Its the same with Gravity. There were a shitload of negative critics and most people who saw it arent necessarily raving about it. If you start to talk about this movies, you could easily come up with 100-500 without any problem.

Inception is a slightly more reasonable shout.
It's purely subjective though, so you can't claim someone else's opinion on what is overrated to be nonense. Unless you are either telling me I don't think Avatar is a load of old pish, or the general consenus of public opinion is that it is indeed, a load of old pish.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It's purely subjective though, so you can't claim someone else's opinion on what is overrated to be nonense. Unless you are either telling me I don't think Avatar is a load of old pish, or the general consenus of public opinion is that it is indeed, a load of old pish.
even opinions should be reasonable, else a discussion makes little sense.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Very true. Avatar is one of the most named films in this thread though, so it can't be that unreasonable an opinion.
the film got a lot of praise for its visual effects and the thereby created atmosphere. Nobody praised this movie for its intelligent plot of the deep characters. Except its good use of 3d technology its just a well produced blockbuster and only few people see anything different in it. Do you have different expectations for this film, if so which? Can the film fulfill these expectations and if not, why?

In comparison: Many people praise Inception for its fantastic plot (and not only for being a very good action film). Thats up to debate.

John_Jensen

Anchorman - Mildly amusing, not nearly as funny or original as it's given credit for.

The Wolf of Wall Street - Overlong, repetitive, becomes a bore after the hour mark.

Tarrou

the film got a lot of praise for its visual effects and the thereby created atmosphere. Nobody praised this movie for its intelligent plot of the deep characters. Except its good use of 3d technology its just a well produced blockbuster and only few people see anything different in it. Do you have different expectations for this film, if so which? Can the film fulfill these expectations and if not, why?

In comparison: Many people praise Inception for its fantastic plot (and not only for being a very good action film). Thats up to debate.
I expected a great movie and CGI aside, I thought it was boring shite, not much else to say really...

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I really didn't like Citizen Kane either but accept this might be just my own crappy taste, whereas the other three are just mediocre movies.

If you take a history of cinema class(or read a book on it), it'll be pretty clear why so many directors and movie critics love CK. Hate to use this clicle but the movie was "ahead of it's time."

Mad Winger

- Frozen(how the hell did this movie win the Oscar instead of 'The Wind Rises'?)
- Fight Club
- The Big Lebowski
- Scarface
- Seven
- A Clockwork Orange
- Donnie Darko
- Pulp Fiction(great movie, but far from Tarantino's best)

Everest Red

Reddest ever
- Frozen(how the hell did this movie win the Oscar instead of 'The Wind Rises'?)
- Fight Club
- The Big Lebowski
- Scarface
- Seven
- A Clockwork Orange
- Donnie Darko
Good List. I love TBL but it's slightly overrated. I disagree with A Clockwork Orange. The rest of the movies are pure garbage.

LeftyBlaster

Star Wars' cultural importance is undeniable.

Maybe 'A New Hope' and 'Return of the Jedi' are slightly overrated (although still good movies) but 'The Empire Strikes Back' is an amazing movie in every way. 'Revenge of the Sith', if anything, is underrated in spite of Hayden Christensen's terrible acting, which is thankfully a bit better than in the god-awful 'Attack of the Clones'.
Empire is my favourite of them all. Absolutely amazing I agree. A New Hope still comes really close though. Coming from a fanboy, it's hard for me to criticise them. Will agree about the acting in Attack of the Clones.

Revenge of the Sith is better than The Return of the Jedi IMO. Also, Christensen was alright there, but his acting on Attack of the Clones (which may be the worst acting ever) is indefensable.
Was despairing in my seat when Anakin turned on Mace. To finally see that moment on screen.

jem

Off the top of my head:

The Deer Hunter; The Big Lebowski, Crash, Slumdog Millionaire (awful film,) Shawshank Redemption.

jem

- Fight Club
- The Big Lebowski
- Scarface
- Seven
- A Clockwork Orange
- Donnie Darko
- Pulp Fiction(great movie, but far from Tarantino's best)
Good list. I hated Fight Club and I'm not a big fan of Scarface. I do like Pulp Fiction and Clockwork Orange.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The King's Speech - painfully dull.
Pan's Labyrinth - decent film but I don't get the universal acclaim.
North by Northwest - there must be a dozen better Hitchcock films.
Amélie - same as Pan's Labyrinth.
American Beauty - awful.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
All the blockbusters from the last 15 years.
and Titanic

Madthinker

Scarface - boring for a large part, and I never got why "say hello to my little friend" is considered a great line.

The Matrix/Inception. I group these together - both seem to be full of contrived rules that are made up ad-hoc, resulting in the viewer having to take everything with a pinch of salt. Annoyingly, they seem to be considered "intelligent" storylines, by people who like this sort of fuzzy logic.

The Exorcist - just dull and charmless.

Fargo/The Big Lebowski. I love the Coen brothers, and these are good films, but Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There & No Country should be rated above them.

Star Wars - I once presumed that this tedious crap held its status on account of the special effects and it's cinematic scope, until I realised that the vastly superior 2001 came out a decade earlier.

The Producers - urgh.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Drive - Forget the Dreamy New wave retro music and your left waiting for a gormless Ryan Goslin to say something after 15 minutes.