Television Ozark

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Am I mistaken or was there a scene with the PI guy (incredibly annoying character) snorting coke in an evidence room? Did that lead to anything?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That scene was unintentionally hilarious. He‘s supposed to be this brilliant cop and not only does he nick a bag of gack from the one place it will be most under scrutiny he takes a massive bump while he’s still in the fecking room.
If you carry it out, you have to bring it back in or else it’s completely missing as opposed to being slightly light. That is assuming you didn’t bring a bag to swap it out with like Rust in True Detective or Indiana Jones with the gold statue.

You’ve obviously never stolen drugs from an evidence room.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If you carry it out, you have to bring it back in or else it’s completely missing as opposed to being slightly light. That is assuming you didn’t bring a bag to swap it out with like Rust in True Detective or Indiana Jones with the gold statue.

You’ve obviously never stolen drugs from an evidence room.
That’s on my to do list.

He could have just bought a wee container with him. Just wait fecking five minutes to find somewhere slightly more discrete. But oh no…

wr8_utd

:'(
Yes she’s annoying but i like that transition to the cold hearted bitch she is now. I actually want to punch Jonah every time he has that defiant look on his face. His parents need to beat his ass.
Just three episodes in but would love it if someone puts a bullet in his head by the end of the season.

Wing Attack Plan R

Not getting all the hate for Jonah in here. I'd be a little prick as well if my mum killed her brother and then tried to put me in jail.
Jonah doesn't seem to realize the choice was:
1.) give up Ben, or 2.) Jonah and his entire family get killed. It's not much of a choice at that point. Ben was safe for a bit, but then Ruth had to go and feck that up. There was no alternative at that point.

Wing Attack Plan R

Am I mistaken or was there a scene with the PI guy (incredibly annoying character) snorting coke in an evidence room? Did that lead to anything?
Yeah, he has been an annoying and unwelcome addition to the show. The only saving grace for him is if he is lying about his instructions and what he's doing there. Guess we'll find out in the 2nd half of this season, but if he is as he says (i.e., a detective trying to get Helen's signature) it makes no fecking sense.

Wing Attack Plan R

Do we know who that lady in the wheelchair towards the end was? The way they framed her she seemed important, like I was supposed to remember her. Or perhaps they’re planning on featuring her going forward.

I liked her; she had some sort of charisma.
I think she was just for the one scene. The point of that scene was Ruth thinking about how her life had turned out, how she didn't want to attend the wedding, and the woman kept talking about Ruth's mother. The seeds were symbolic of something deep and heavy, but in retrospect, one could easily fast forward straight through it and have missed nothing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That scene was unintentionally hilarious. He‘s supposed to be this brilliant cop and not only does he nick a bag of gack from the one place it will be most under scrutiny he takes a massive bump while he’s still in the fecking room.
And he’s discussing Alcoholics Anonymous tenets as he is walking into the evidence room.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Heard from a colleague (not the one who worked on set) that the second tranche of episodes will drop after the Emmy cut off so they could get consideration over two awards cycles.

Asked her for a link, etc., still waiting on it. Hope it is just a bullshit rumor.

RedDevilRoshi

thought the first half season was a big drop-off from the usual standard

it's definitely run its course

some of the performances are brilliant though, fair play
Finished part 1 of the final season last night. Agree with what you’ve said it definitely has ran its course now.

Overall I thought it was not bad. Looking forward to seeing how the final part of the series goes.

Have to say what a brilliant performance by Julia Garner.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just finished the first part, and I think it's brilliant, but of course with many ridiculous things that don't happen in real life.

Reading back this thread, people accusing others of hating Jonah for no reason is pretty much the same as people who hated Skylar and other similar characters, because Jonah is nothing like those characters. Skylar like characters are not bad persons and criminals to begin with, unlike Jonah:

- He was anti social ever since start of the entire show, he didn't have any friends back in Chicago either, because he thinks he is a grown up when he is 8 year old kid who has no idea what life is
- as a kid he is involved in making fake IDs and buying and using guns and stuff before he even got to know his parents were involved with cartel(he is bound to be criminal with or without his parents involvement in cartel)
- he never listened to his parents even when he didn't know they were involved with the cartel
- he end up working for a heroin dealer and a murderer, while accusing his parents of being the bad guys
- he is absolutely stupid and could have Ruth killed only because he wants to do opposite what his parents want, he didn't care about Ruth's life in that scene
- Wendy killing her brother meant she saved her family, and not just her ass. If she didn't run with him he would be killed few episodes before. People like Ben should be in hospital, or on medication, because unfortunately he presents danger for the society, but let's trust Jonah, 8 year old kid, and not his sister who obviously loved him very much and actually did well for him for his entire life.

Marty and Wendy are cnuts, but Jonah was a cnut ever since he was a kid and will be potentially even worse than them. And his hair is terrible.

wr8_utd

Just finished the first part, and I think it's brilliant, but of course with many ridiculous things that don't happen in real life.

Reading back this thread, people accusing others of hating Jonah for no reason is pretty much the same as people who hated Skylar and other similar characters, because Jonah is nothing like those characters. Skylar like characters are not bad persons and criminals to begin with, unlike Jonah:

- He was anti social ever since start of the entire show, he didn't have any friends back in Chicago either, because he thinks he is a grown up when he is 8 year old kid who has no idea what life is
- as a kid he is involved in making fake IDs and buying and using guns and stuff before he even got to know his parents were involved with cartel(he is bound to be criminal with or without his parents involvement in cartel)
- he never listened to his parents even when he didn't know they were involved with the cartel
- he end up working for a heroin dealer and a murderer, while accusing his parents of being the bad guys
- he is absolutely stupid and could have Ruth killed only because he wants to do opposite what his parents want, he didn't care about Ruth's life in that scene
- Wendy killing her brother meant she saved her family, and not just her ass. If she didn't run with him he would be killed few episodes before. People like Ben should be in hospital, or on medication, because unfortunately he presents danger for the society, but let's trust Jonah, 8 year old kid, and not his sister who obviously loved him very much and actually did well for him for his entire life.

Marty and Wendy are cnuts, but Jonah was a cnut ever since he was a kid and will be potentially even worse than them. And his hair is terrible.
Great review on Jonah.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the whole point of Jonah's character is to show how bad the Byrdes are neglecting the children.

To break it down into simple terms, he's essentially an incredibly gifted and kind kid that has some social issues. And the point they are making with him is, that instead of guiding/parenting him through his issues they add to them. I think at some point Wendy actually tells us that he's doing his own laundering schemes to impress his father and grab his attention. And then later Wendy actually tries to have him arrested, because she sees it as a power game, when he's upset about her killing his uncle/friend, like you would expect a little boy to. I think the show makes a similar point when it shows us that Charlotte is foregoing her education to join their insane family business.

And the difference between the Byrdes and Ruth/Darlene is made clear in the aftermath of Ruth getting beaten to a pulp. They are both criminals, they are both murderers, they are both drug dealers, but in that moment we see Marty sell out his loyalty to Ruth, because it would be bad for business to enforce her untouchable status. Whereas Darlene actually, as crazy as that is, blows up the guy's private parts, because she and Ruth have that typical movie criminal code and loyalty and the Byrdes don't. Hence using baby Zeke as a bargaining chip or Wendy having her brother killed, because it made sense (the implication being that Ruth/Darlene would have refused to do so out of principle).
With Marty it could be argued that he at least genuinely does it for his family, but for Wendy.. .. the show starts with her having an affair and serving her husband up for a cartell hit, by grabbing their assets and it doesn't necessarily get much better after that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Hold on, what? People are saying they hate Jonah because he’s not a good person? Who are the good people in this show we should be rooting for?!?
I thought it was because he's a whiny little shit tbf.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Hold on, what? People are saying they hate Jonah because he’s not a good person? Who are the good people in this show we should be rooting for?!?
I can't see Javi as anything other than Father Tomas from the Exorcist series so I'm rooting for him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The drive from the Ozarks to Chicago is roughly 7 hours so Ruth either listened to Illmatic on repeat the whole time or she spent a lot of time between songs. Also Represent came on before One Time 4 Your Mind? Did she have it on shuffle?

Not having it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
‘First’ episode - is there anything more tut worthy than a character doing the thing they’ve set out to do then it being in their imagination as they’re on the way to do it?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How was it? I’m about to dive in to at least four episodes today.
At least it's finished and not hanged open, although these days you can't properly finish series as you do in movies.

The series has been too convulated for a proper finish. But at least they tried fixing most loose ends and this time it's quite ok although probably you cant please everyone

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think it's a great show but even after 4 seasons I can never remember the daughter's name. Terribly bland character.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ruth was always going to die, the Langmore curse & all. I like the Sopranos-esque ending.

wr8_utd

On Episode 12 right now and honestly, just how much does Wendy get away with? Marty just sitting and watching as she potentially ruins all the work they're doing just to get her kids not to move in with her dad?! At some point, surely Marty will do something beyond just assault another driver?

Also, Charlotte's sudden transformation from being okay with her role in everything going on to suddenly deciding to rebel and move in with the granddad? Erm

Last edited: