P&G Draft - QF: MJJ vs Theon

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Nothing wrong with that opinion, but personally I'd pick Breitner as the best one. Schweiny was probably better defensively, well, both were outstanding, but offensively Breitner was simply on another level, both in terms of goalscoring (significantly) and playmaking (a bit less so)

Congratulations on the win!
Nah, don’t think Breitner was ever as good defensively as Schweinsteiger in midfield and I’d give the latter a clear edge. Breitner was best utilised box to box and didn’t have the tactical and defensive accumen of Schweinsteiger, which was such that he could perform dominant marking jobs on the likes of Messi. I think he could probably match him when it comes to ballwinning (though physically Bastian was the far bigger and stronger player), but when it comes to defensive intelligence, positioning and reading of the game imo Schweinsteigers in a league of his own.

Outside of those bespoke holding roles, Schweinsteiger regularly demonstrated elite defensive performances against Europe’s best midfields. If you look at matches like the 7-0 thumping of Barcelona, that was really a modern masterclass in defensive midfield work, with constant pressing and ball winning (think Schweinsteiger won possession more times than anyone else on the park) combined with supreme tactical and positional play. I don’t think Breitner would have been able to play such an complete and disciplined defensive role so effectively.

Also disagree on the playmaking front. Think Schweinsteiger was the purer and clearer playmaker, and his range of passing is far better than most give him credit for.

Completely agree on the offensive comment though, Breitner was certainly better going forward. They were really quite different players.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Defensive upgrade must be a priority for Theon! Current D has pulled all it's weight.
:lol: Maybe. That’s certainly what a decent chunk of the voters seem to be saying.

I’m really in two minds though because I don’t agree with the criticism, think it’s bizarre.

Moby

Dick
:lol: Maybe. That’s certainly what a decent chunk of the voters seem to be saying.

I’m really in two minds though because I don’t agree with the criticism, think it’s bizarre.
A better striker than Suarez and your team was done right here.