View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Tribec

He's been clawing his way back since the Southampton game, where the wheels came off quite badly. With Shaw's and Rafael's injuries he was obviously pressed to stay on in the second half. He looked shaky, but that may well have been due to the head injury, but he managed to do his job, and was part of a defense that kept a clean sheet and isn't that what we ask of our defense? He looked more capable than Blackett did during the first half I felt, and had been doing well recently. A lot of his poorer performances have been when Smalling has played, with Jones and Evans around him he's been better.

Next week is a huge game for him, if he plays Southampton will target him as they did once they got into the game at St. Mary's, it will be a test of character for him, which I do think he's capable of passing.

Sid234

He's been clawing his way back since the Southampton game, where the wheels came off quite badly. With Shaw's and Rafael's injuries he was obviously pressed to stay on in the second half. He looked shaky, but that may well have been due to the head injury, but he managed to do his job, and was part of a defense that kept a clean sheet and isn't that what we ask of our defense? He looked more capable than Blackett did during the first half I felt, and had been doing well recently. A lot of his poorer performances have been when Smalling has played, with Jones and Evans around him he's been better.
This. I voted him my MoTM, looked good at the back.. He had a few shaky moments but was better than Smalling and Blackett for me..Had more agression to his game today and was asking for the ball more too.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
This. I voted him my MoTM, looked good at the back.. He had a few shaky moments but was better than Smalling and Blackett for me..Had more agression to his game today and was asking for the ball more too.
I wouldn't go that far... Certainly looked better today though. A little confidence seems to be coming back.

khoazany

Next week is a huge game for him, if he plays Southampton will target him as they did once they got into the game at St. Mary's, it will be a test of character for him, which I do think he's capable of passing.
We'll have Jones for Southampton so I don't think he'll start.

Gannicus

I'm very pleased with how our 19 year old central defender is developing.

Acole9

Outstanding
That handball was stupid, what on earth was he thinking? On another day he could've quite easily have been shown a red card and cost us the game.

IwatUwat

That handball was stupid, what on earth was he thinking? On another day he could've quite easily have been shown a red card and cost us the game.
It was accidental, clumsy yes but think the above is a bit harsh.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wow man some people are just uber harsh.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I'm sure he was thinking, no danger here... let's see if I can get away with one and practice the old basketball skills.

Or maybe it was a total accident and he wasn't thinking about handling it at all.

marlowe78

I was happy with his ballsy performance Sunday but I don't think he should play against Southampton.

Loublaze

ATLien
Read on BBC that he rejected an initial contract offer from United...I can't find any other sources that back this. Does anyone know?

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Let's what?

He's been offered a contract and rejected it according to reports.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if McNair leaves to be honest.
This club needs to harness it's young players and give them the best opportunity. Why pay millions for a player like Falcao and not give McNair and Blackett the contracts they want? They've proven they're quality this season and with more game time and composure I believe they will become real stars.

FromTheBench

He'll want a contract as part of first team squad now you'd imagine and before in november he would have been offered a contract more u21s level.

It would most likely be sorted but club should be more proactive and not let contracts run out to this degree. Happening with too many younger players, and could lead to another Pogba somehwere.

khoazany

Let's what?

He's been offered a contract and rejected it according to reports.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if McNair leaves to be honest.
Who said he rejected it?

And disagreement in terms of wages etc. in the initial offer is normal in contract negotiation.

Bojan11

This club needs to harness it's young players and give them the best opportunity. Why pay millions for a player like Falcao and not give McNair and Blackett the contracts they want? They've proven they're quality this season and with more game time and composure I believe they will become real stars.
Yeah let's ruin our wage structure. Give players who played around 10 games big fat contracts. Then next season when other players come through can ask for more.

Have they really proven their quality? They proven nothing when people are still calling for us to sign new defenders.

Count Orduck

I have no doubt his agent is looking for wages more in line with his being in the first team, rather than what he's actually worth which is substantially less than that.

I'll lose no sleep if he leaves, to be honest. He's not Pogba.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Unconcerned, I know both McNair and Blackett are young and have been thrown in too early, but I haven't been overly impressed with either. Brown, O'Shea, Evans and Jones all looked better at their age.

I trust van Gaal's judgement.

FromTheBench

Have they really proven their quality? They proven nothing when people are still calling for us to sign new defenders.
People are also calling us to buy new CM's where we have 2 new 30 million each signings and new strikers/strikers where we have a bunch of players on big fat wages. At CB we haven't really made any glamorous established signing to please people either.

Anyway, He is a 19 year old talented CB who has done well given the circumstances and shown potential. Seems fair to try everything within reasonable means to get him to sign given possible marginal cost of losing him. I'd be very surprised if it was any over the top figure demanded as he wouldn't get it anywhere else either.

Less sure about Blackett but should give him a new contract as well.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Yeah let's ruin our wage structure. Give players who played around 10 games big fat contracts. Then next season when other players come through can ask for more.

I bet you're the same type of person who says the money doesn't matter when talking about players like Falcao, Di Maria and RVP who are doing a lot more to ruin the wage structure. Hey we're United we only give multi million pounds contracts to ageing foreign players, giving money to promising youth prospects would be silly.

Also how can you say they've proven nothing? They've proven themselves to be far beyond most teenage defenders in the world right now, McNair has made a few mistakes sure but it's clear to see the lad has talent.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Would be a shame to see him go for free, but I wouldn't be that concerned. I haven't seen anything that has made me think he is going to become a real worldclass player, so I can't see him being our first choice CB for years to come anyway.

Bojan11

I bet you're the same type of person who says the money doesn't matter when talking about players like Falcao, Di Maria and RVP who are doing a lot more to ruin the wage structure. Hey we're United we only give multi million pounds contracts to ageing foreign players, giving money to promising youth prospects would be silly.

Also how can you say they've proven nothing? They've proven themselves to be far beyond most teenage defenders in the world right now, McNair has made a few mistakes sure but it's clear to see the lad has talent.
Were you saying RVP was ruining the wage structure when he was winning us the premier league. Bet you weren't.

Far beyond? Whenever Blackett is on the field there is a mistake going to happen. Just need to look at the weekend. Wasn't even good enough for Birmingham. They were happy to get rid of him.

I wouldn't rate McNair ahead of Keane, who I'm more annoyed Van Gaal let go of.

Yes let's give big contracts to youth players, who proved nothing and have played about 10 games. Then next season the youth players coming up can ask for more.

khoazany

Far beyond? Whenever Blackett is on the field there is a mistake going to happen. Just need to look at the weekend. Wasn't even good enough for Birmingham. They were happy to get rid of him.
I don't really rate Blackett but I guess you're not around when Leicester fans called to terminate Harry Kane's loan deal when he was on loan at them.

Also who is saying it has to be a big fat contract?Too much assumption.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Unconcerned, I know both McNair and Blackett are young and have been thrown in too early, but I haven't been overly impressed with either. Brown, O'Shea, Evans and Jones all looked better at their age.

I trust van Gaal's judgement.
They've been as good as you could ask two players in their situation this season but I am totally with you. There's no blinding natural talent there whatsoever. We owe them nothing as players and the experience they have gained this season will be invaluable to their careers.

Fosu-Mensah is where we need to be looking. All the attributes for a top quality defender while being accomplished on the ball. Taunzebe and Cameron B-J too. They're both a step up on Blackett and McNair in terms of natural talent although their development is obviously behind due to age.

If we're looking to the future it's these guys, I think one of them will be part of Van Gaal's legacy much the same way Xavi, Valdes, Muller et al are.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
They've been as good as you could ask two players in their situation this season but I am totally with you. There's no blinding natural talent there whatsoever. We owe them nothing as players and the experience they have gained this season will be invaluable to their careers.

Fosu-Mensah is where we need to be looking. All the attributes for a top quality defender while being accomplished on the ball. Taunzebe and Cameron B-J too. They're both a step up on Blackett and McNair in terms of natural talent although their development is obviously behind due to age.

If we're looking to the future it's these guys, I think one of them will be part of Van Gaal's legacy much the same way Xavi, Valdes, Muller et al are.
Haven't seen much of him, but he looks the real deal from what I have seen.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Would be happy if he was signed and then sent on loan. Wouldn't lose sleep if he was let go. He has potentail but it's not top class; lack of pace is a real issue.

I would be surprised if Blackett can find a regular spot at a championship club, let alone at United.

Hojoon

Not really. I'll be very surprised if either turns out to be a top 4 CB.

Getsme

Nobody knows what's going on, it's all pure speculation at this point. However, I refuse to believe that McNair and Blackett are stupid enough to hold the Club to ransom.

Gopher Brown

Only if they are good enough. McNair is only playing as a stop-gap until we have no injuries or sign better defenders.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nobody knows what's going on, it's all pure speculation at this point. However, I refuse to believe that McNair and Blackett are stupid enough to hold the Club to ransom.
If they're not in our future it can be better for them and us to move on as we get compensation and they get the chance to start their careers. You can be sure they have both been offered fair contract but been told they will be going on loan next year and will play no part for the foreseeable. They've then got to ask themselves the serious question, will I ever actually make it here? Unlikely.