View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Devil may care

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2015/0...ted-starlet-will-become-the-new-gary-neville/
Louis van Gaal has backed Manchester United defender Paddy McNair to establish himself as the club’s next right-back, and follow in the footsteps of iconic former player Gary Neville.

The 19-year-old played on the right side of a four man defence during the FA Cup replay against Cambridge United last week, with the Red Devils securing their place in round five with a comfortable 3-0 win.

Now Van Gaal, who was quoted by the Daily Star, is tipping the player to make the spot his own, saying: “Maybe he shall be the right full-back of Manchester United for the next 10 years, you never know. He has the chance.”

“He has done it already in the second team [Under-21s] and has done it now at a higher level in the first-team. It is not only Paddy McNair who has impressed with his development, as I have given a lot of chances to younger players.

“But Paddy McNair has developed himself very well, not only as a central defender but now we are giving him the chance to develop as a full-back and he did it very well.”

McNair has enjoyed regular game-time under Van Gaal so far this season, both as a full-back and as a centre-back. He is now hoping to secure a starting berth at the club, and kick on with his Old Trafford career.

“I enjoyed getting down the right flank,” he said. “I actually enjoy getting forward. It was a bit different. I played there for the Under-21s and I played there for the first time [in the senior team] against Yeovil in the second half. It was good to play there.”

Acole9

Outstanding
Very high praise indeed from van Gaal in the media about this lad.

Silverman

It would be brilliant if McNair could cement the RB spot for himself. A homegrown talent and then no need to buy a new RB. Hopefully he plays there against West Ham today to see how he gets on.

Mister_Stubbs

Getting a little bit carried away after a good performance against a dire league two side.

Today we'll see if he is good enough against tougher opposition.

SirAF

Ageist
It would be brilliant if McNair could cement the RB spot for himself. A homegrown talent and then no need to buy a new RB. Hopefully he plays there against West Ham today to see how he gets on.
Nothing would be better than this! However, Cambridge were beyond shite at OT but I'm still excited to see how he gets on against better teams.

SirAF

Ageist
2 minutes since the club posted it on Facebook and here it is! I'll never be quick enough to break any news here :lol:

Lovely news though.

Brophs

The One and Only
Don't we normally give young players longer deals? Is this just a reflection of how quickly it has happened, or could it be a new policy?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Struggled in tight spaces for me personally but he is young. I like his passing.

Bojan11

Once Herrera came on and gave him a hand against Kightly he improved.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I thought he did pretty well today. One of our better players.

FromTheBench

He's pretty good on the ball.

But struggled defensively first half with the diamond. 2nd he was good defensively and got sm crucial headers too in a 4-4-2 when Di Maria was also helping out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thought he was ok. Nothing special. More composed than the rest of the cnuts back there though.

Jev

Thought he was awful in the first half. I can't believe LVG favours him over Rafael. I've yet to see that he has the potential to make it here. His only really good game came against a League 2 side.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thought he was awful in the first half. I can't believe LVG favours him over Rafael. I've yet to see that he has the potential to make it here. His only really good game came against a League 2 side.
His best game was probably against West Ham. That game against a league 2 side just happens to be his only other game as a RB.

Jev

His best game was probably against West Ham. That game against a league 2 side just happens to be his only other game as a RB.
Cambridge was still his best game for me, regardless of where he played. But you're right, he was pretty good against West Ham as well. Today wasn't impressive for me, Kightly had him in his pocket in the first half.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Clear that he's better in a position where he doesn't have to be as careful with his passing as a central defender does. Set up a lot of good attacks with some fairly risky passes I could never see Valencia making.

Devil may care

Well some questioned if he could play RB against better opposition and tonight it didn't look like he had the pace for it. I love the accuracy of his delivery but the fullback position requires pace more than ever these days. Oddly enough I think he could make a decent DM.

snk123

What impresses me the most is his passing. Plays the right ball at the right pace - and more positive than all our defenders.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Can't fault him for effort, but we would be so much better with a right back out there. Rafael, where are you :(

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
He's a CB, and he could be a very good one. Shouid certainly be playing there ahead of Evans now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In the squad again and we're winning. Still raw but he's aware what tempo we should play to create something.

His football education started promising but still some long road ahead.

m1y2

He's not really that good at right back.
I agree, he lacks any speed needed at RB he doesn't need that much of strength there but he struggle with it today little bit too, also his work with the ball is overrated, he's had a good shot and looks like he likes to pass the ball which is one of his biggest assets, passing the ball with his head up. He just needs to get muscles.. wonder if he could handle defensive midfielder role, he couldn't do much worse than rooney.. but the muscles are really needed he is very week kid..

Rafael back to the first team asap..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't think he's good enough isolated in one-on-one's against wingers to be a great right back. He's really good on the ball though.

Welbeckham

He was decent at second half, but I'm not really convinced about him. Right back is better position for him at the moment given his inconsistency on ball. He wasn't particularly good defensively, losing tons of headers to Michael Kightly and looking quite slow at times.

Acole9

Outstanding
He had a decent game tonight and it was nice to see him try a shot on goal from distance.