View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

khoazany

Only if they are good enough. McNair is only playing as a stop-gap until we have no injuries or sign better defenders.
We had only 1 injury and he was on the bench.

If they're not in our future it can be better for them and us to move on as we get compensation and they get the chance to start their careers. You can be sure they have both been offered fair contract but been told they will be going on loan next year and will play no part for the foreseeable. They've then got to ask themselves the serious question, will I ever actually make it here? Unlikely.
Too much assumption, again.I suggest we wait until we really know what's happening.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would assume they're holding off to get more money.

Their agents know the club has some money kicking about and are willing to give out decent wages to average players, so why not try their luck.

I do think both Blackett and Mcnair will be here next year though.

Roboc7

I wouldn’t be too fussed if either or both of Blackett and McNair didn’t sign new contracts, both are just fairly ordinary players who have been thrown in due to the circumstances. Don’t see much of a future for either as anything other than the backup players they have been this season and if we had centre halves who actually played regularly that would limit their game time to a minimum.

Ideally they would sign and we could see how they develop on loan just in case but I don’t see either being a big loss and think they would both find it tough to replicate the career path of Michael Keane let alone be first team players here.

Loublaze

ATLien
I wouldn’t be too fussed if either or both of Blackett and McNair didn’t sign new contracts, both are just fairly ordinary players who have been thrown in due to the circumstances. Don’t see much of a future for either as anything other than the backup players they have been this season and if we had centre halves who actually played regularly that would limit their game time to a minimum.

Ideally they would sign and we could see how they develop on loan just in case but I don’t see either being a big loss and think they would both find it tough to replicate the career path of Michael Keane let alone be first team players here.
They are both better than Keane IMO. I guess time will tell

Litch

The fact that it's been left speaks volumes. Both him and Blackett are only in the position due to circumstance and imo not because of their ability.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I don't know how McNair can't have a future here, he's done extremely well for a kid thrown in the deep end at times.

Getsme

I don't know how McNair can't have a future here, he's done extremely well for a kid thrown in the deep end at times.
Players are judged far to quickly these days. Unfortunately critics voices tend to be the loudest and most unforgiving, I'd imagine it's only a small minority of United fan with the large majority realising that young players need time to develop.
If a player makes one or two mistakes then suddenly they're not United quality, not what we need or should be sold or loaned to Hull or QPR. I wonder how many fans would have got rid of Vidic and Evra 6 months after they joined?
Unless a player is being praised in the media as being the next Rio or Vidic, or play for Real Madrid, Barcelona or Munich then they are written off before they've been given a chance. The same has happened to Wilson this season.

khoazany

Players are judged far to quickly these days. Unfortunately critics voices tend to be the loudest and most unforgiving, I'd imagine it's only a small minority of United fan with the large majority realising that young players need time to develop.
If a player makes one or two mistakes then suddenly they're not United quality, not what we need or should be sold or loaned to Hull or QPR. I wonder how many fans would have got rid of Vidic and Evra 6 months after they joined?
Unless a player is being praised in the media as being the next Rio or Vidic, or play for Real Madrid, Barcelona or Munich then they are written off before they've been given a chance. The same has happened to Wilson this season.
Same with every fan base of every club.Bale,Kane and Bentaleb were written off by many Spurs fan in their tender ages for example

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

There's absol nothing wrong with having an opinion on a player and making predictions for those players on those opinions.

I've seen enough of both players in both the reserves and first team football to be able to form that opinion. When it comes to the reserves there's been enough youth defenders to compare them to over the years and in terms of the first team there's been plenty of young defenders come through over the years to draw comparisons at similar ages.

Neither of them stood out in the reserves and certainly not as centrebacks as neither you could call natural centrebacks. Blackett a left back convert and McNair a midfield convert. There were more natural and accomplished players that left ahead of them and there is far more natural and accomplished players coming through behind them.

They are only getting game time this season because the stand out youngsters who was ahead of them in the pecking order earned a loan move and subsequent transfer away. On top of that, we've had unprecedented injuries that has seen almost all our centrebacks injured for long periods.

It's currently:

Smalling
Rojo
Jones
Evans
Blind
Blackett/McNair

When you see how many players are ahead of them written down like that you realise how crazy it is that they have been called upon at all.

It will have done their career prospects the world of good playing this season but they won't make it here long term. We're going to invest in the summer and strengthen to a point that they won't be needed again and contract talks will have touched upon this. With the 3 we have coming through in the u18s, by the time these two have had their loans and come back they will be even further behind.

I'll be surprised if they sign contracts, they may well feel that it'll do them better long term to continue their education with us and being sent on loan but I put money on neither of them being here past their 23rd birthday.

Getsme

There's absol nothing wrong with having an opinion on a player and making predictions for those players on those opinions.

I've seen enough of both players in both the reserves and first team football to be able to form that opinion. When it comes to the reserves there's been enough youth defenders to compare them to over the years and in terms of the first team there's been plenty of young defenders come through over the years to draw comparisons at similar ages.

Neither of them stood out in the reserves and certainly not as centrebacks as neither you could call natural centrebacks. Blackett a left back convert and McNair a midfield convert. There were more natural and accomplished players that left ahead of them and there is far more natural and accomplished players coming through behind them.

They are only getting game time this season because the stand out youngsters who was ahead of them in the pecking order earned a loan move and subsequent transfer away. On top of that, we've had unprecedented injuries that has seen almost all our centrebacks injured for long periods.

It's currently:

Smalling
Rojo
Jones
Evans
Blind
Blackett/McNair

When you see how many players are ahead of them written down like that you realise how crazy it is that they have been called upon at all.

It will have done their career prospects the world of good playing this season but they won't make it here long term. We're going to invest in the summer and strengthen to a point that they won't be needed again and contract talks will have touched upon this. With the 3 we have coming through in the u18s, by the time these two have had their loans and come back they will be even further behind.

I'll be surprised if they sign contracts, they may well feel that it'll do them better long term to continue their education with us and being sent on loan but I put money on neither of them being here past their 23rd birthday.
Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, I didn't say otherwise. My point is many of today's fans are impatient and want instant results and top class performances straight away, even from youth team or new players, hence why I used Vidic and Evra as examples to how wrong fans can be some times. There are plenty more examples out there, @khoazany gave another three good examples of players who have been written off before they began.
McNair is 19, Blackett is 20, a lot can happen is 18-24 months in a players development, especially when they are training and playing with the first team, therefore it's far to early to write them off IMO.

Roboc7

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, I didn't say otherwise. My point is many of today's fans are impatient and want instant results and top class performances straight away, even from youth team or new players, hence why I used Vidic and Evra as examples to how wrong fans can be some times. There are plenty more examples out there, @khoazany gave another three good examples of players who have been written off before they began.
McNair is 19, Blackett is 20, a lot can happen is 18-24 months in a players development, especially when they are training and playing with the first team, therefore it's far to early to write them off IMO.
Players can drastically improve but the point there is nothing particularly special about McNair or Blackett, they are no better or worse than dozens of players we have produced who are earning a living in the championship or the premier league but they have been given a chance due to circumstance and a formation that requires three centre halves. The problem they will both have is they won't play as often (injuries permitting) if they are here next year or they will go out on loan and that doesn't always work out very well.

Getsme

Players can drastically improve but the point there is nothing particularly special about McNair or Blackett, they are no better or worse than dozens of players we have produced who are earning a living in the championship or the premier league but they have been given a chance due to circumstance and a formation that requires three centre halves. The problem they will both have is they won't play as often (injuries permitting) if they are here next year or they will go out on loan and that doesn't always work out very well.
Of course, but it doesn't change the reality that it's far to early to judge them. If in one of two years they haven't managed to move forward in terms of appearances, experience and reliability then it would be easier to form a balanced and fair opinion on their future prospects.

Roboc7

Of course, but it doesn't change the reality that it's far to early to judge them. If in one of two years they haven't managed to move forward in terms of appearances, experience and reliability then it would be easier to form a balanced and fair opinion on their future prospects.
It's not to early at this point neither is anything special, neither of the are bad players either but around and you will players of a similar age who are much better, they might improve they might not, neither were exceptional in the reserves and odds are neither will make it. would be more of a shock to see one or both of them playing in the first team in two or three years time than to see them in the championship. The balanced and fair opinion is that like most of the players in the academy they won't have a future here because they are trying to get into a team that wants to win trophies and opportunities will be limited unless you are exceptional which they aren't.

Man Utd 3:0 Cambridge

Raptori

Special needs
Quality performance so far today at right back. Sure it's against lower level opposition, but it's still been impressive.

FujiVice

I swear, he's controlling this game. Mental to see. I know its only Cambridge, but that makes no difference. Many players hide away in games like this. He's totally stepped up tonight. Could see him playing more at right back this season.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
He's not a right back but he's doing a fine job there today.

buckooo1978

Superb tonight

Confidence and hunger - our best RB performance this season by a mile (league 2 I know)

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Has looked far far better at RB than he did at CB. Looks completely at ease.

Wittmann45

I know he was signed as a midfielder, but has he ever played RB for the youth sides or for the reserves? Looks very comfortable there. Its nice when a RB is playing that knows he can do more than just pass to the RW or put in a cross.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's got a future here this lad.. very impressive.

VanGaalEra

Top half that. Really liking his passing.

Who needs a RB when we got Paddy ay :lol:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I know he was signed as a midfielder, but has he ever played RB for the youth sides or for the reserves? Looks very comfortable there. Its nice when a RB is playing that knows he can do more than just pass to the RW or put in a cross.
Played RB for the reserves last week and scored. Can't say I remember him playing there any other time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fantastic 1st half from him, which is doubly impressive given his youth and experience. MOTM so far.

ottosec

Fantastic performance so far. He might be the RB we're looking for, if we're lucky.

FromTheBench

It's only Cambridge but he's done very well today. Also looked pretty good at RB vs Liverpool U21s.