g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Paddy McNair image 33

Paddy McNair Northern Ireland flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sweet Square

A few weeks ago I wasnt convinced by him and thought he would probably be sold to end up in a mid-table PL side. Whilst one performance doesnt prove anything, and the opposition were of a lower quality than we normally face, McNair did very well and was my MotM as well. He certainly hasnt done himself any harm with that game and I am happy to at least give him some more time to show what he can do.
This is pretty much my take on him so far. Doesn't convince me at all at CB but he's recent performances at RB(He was very good at RB in a recent reserve game as well as the Cambridge game)give me hope that he's got a chance here.

NoPace

I'd be pretty damn surprised if he has the quicks to play fullback. You look at the best teams in the world and the slowest starting fullback is Ivanovic, and he's actually pretty quick and powerful once he gets going. I guess Lahm is slowing down too, but he's so good on the ball it's criminal. Alaba, Bernat, Felipe Luis, Azpilicueta, Zabaleta, Clichy, Alves, Alba, Carvajal, Marcelo and the others are all quick enough to threaten on the overlap.

He's very good on the ball, though, so hopefully he can be a CB here. Definitely an intriguing prospect.

dsch

McNair vs Cambridge, 1st half

2nd half

Watching this again confirms the impression I had during the game that he played wider and much more like a conventional full back in the second half, or maybe it was after the substitutions. In the first half, even though Rooney was in CM in a notional narrow diamond, he was often on the touchline, with McNair inside attacking down the right channel rather than overlapping beyond their fullback. A few times in the first half, McNair also ran from out to in. I think it's this positioning that led to him being so involved in the game. Perhaps LVG has been playing FM this year, with the new 'inverted wingback' role?

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
It is a huge difference. Explosive pace and power. Not many athletes like Bale and Ronaldo in Ligue 2. Obviousley thats cherry picking examples but most players in the premier league are athletes. Look at the pace and physiques of even Nani and Valencia.
Nah I dont agree. There are players in the lower divisions who are where they are cos they're quick and strong but not so technical, it's a very physical division and no so technical. If you watch Goals on Sunday/Football League Show quite a lot of goals seem to come from a pong ball over the defence and a striker sprinting onto it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pleased for him with his new deal. He's proved me wrong on that front, I'll be interested in seeing what sort of near and mid term future he has with us now. I expect us to buy two right backs and two centrebacks in the summer so he'll either get a premiership loan or stay as 5th choice.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Edit -

Louis van Gaal has heaped praise on young defender Paddy McNair, claiming the talented Northern Irishman could become Manchester United's first-choice right-back for a decade.

McNair came through the club's youth ranks as a central midfielder but eventually moved back into central defence, a position in which he made an accomplished senior debut during this season’s 2-0 win over West Ham United at Old Trafford.

Adding a further string to his bow, the 19-year-old played a full match at right-back during the midweek win over Cambridge United in the FA Cup fourth-round and was even voted Man of the Match by Reds supporters on the club’s official Facebook page.

As van Gaal told MUTV on Friday, the Reds' no.33 is one of many youngsters with a bright future ahead.
“It is not only Paddy McNair who has impressed with his development, as I have given a lot of chances to younger players. But Paddy McNair has developed himself very well, not only as a central defender but now we are giving him the chance to develop as a full-back and he did it very well.

“He has done it already in the second team [Under-21s] and has done it now at a higher level in the first-team,” the boss continued. “Maybe he shall be the right full-back of Manchester United for the next 10 years, you never know. He has the chance.”
As for McNair himself, the youngster has explained how his experience as a centre-back helped him in terms of positioning during his outing at full-back in Tuesday’s comfortable 3-0 win over Cambridge at Old Trafford.

“I enjoyed getting down the right flank,” he told MUTV. “I actually enjoy getting forward. It was a bit different. I played there for the Under-21s and I played there for the first time [in the senior team] against Yeovil in the second half. It was good to play there.

“I’ve played in a three at the back, so it’s kind of similar. It is similar to centre-back, but you’ve just got a bit more running forward to do, a lot more sprinting and overlapping. A lot of the time I was in their 18-yard box; when you’re a centre-back you don’t really get over the halfway line that much.

“As a centre-back, you always want your right-back to cover you. When I was playing there I thought, ‘when I’m playing centre-back, I want my right-back to be here’, so that’s where I went.”

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I was going to say that a single good performance at RB does not a career make, but then, McNair now has one more great RB performance than Valencia...

Raptori

Special needs
He played well for one game at RB against much much lower opposition.

At this stage, saying this is just as ridiculous as calling Phil Jones the new Duncan Edwards.
Unless perhaps he's been insanely good in training at RB? :confused:

Besides, hyperbole is better than "we'll try to do our best at making ourselves difficult to beat". ;)

Kostur

海尔的老板
If he performs better than McNair then he'll play. If not, then McNair shall play.
I'd say that staying fit for longer than a month would be a good thing to begin with.

I still hope we sign a proper RB in the summer though, don't mind Paddy being number two.

SirAF

Ageist
I'd say that staying fit for longer than a month would be a good thing to begin with.

I still hope we sign a proper RB in the summer though, don't mind Paddy being number two.
It certainly would!

C'est Moi Cantona

That quote doesn't bode well for Rafael. Gutting :(
Could we not just have Mcnair, and Rafael fighting it out for the no 1 spot, with the loser been a perfectly good backup when the main man is injured.

Would save us around £25 million too on either Coleman, or Clyne.

C'est Moi Cantona

Hadn't realised he had signed a new contract, good news, wonder if Blackett has too even if it's just for potential sale value.

marlowe78

Rooney looked silly positioned on the right last game but he did give a lot of support to McNair, so that tactic wasn't as off the wall as it first seemed.

I do thing LVG's quote doesn't bode well for Rafael. He might be encouraging competition between the two RBs but if McNair keeps improving (a very big if), it's a battle that Rafael would likely lose due to his poor injury history. I think his time at United is limited, regardless.

Bwuk

Rafael will go. Can't stay fit. Van Gaal doesn't want a huge squad and can't afford people like Rafa in it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Rafael will go. Can't stay fit. Van Gaal doesn't want a huge squad and can't afford people like Rafa in it.
And he doesn't have Adriano versatility, Guardiola also wanted a little team at Barcelona but he found the place for Adriano because he was able to cover 4 or 5 positions.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Safe to say the Gaffers a fan, then. He seems to have his favourites, so good news for Paddy.

Ryan7

Out of interest, has McNair played many times at right back for the reserves? I saw he played right back against Liverpool, so I wondered how many other times he'd featured at right back.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
To be fair, he did play Badstuber at left back frequently, even with a proper left back in Contento in the team and a converted wing back in Pranjic.

I'd take this comment about McNair with a pinch of salt at the moment. I think he's more suited to playing in the middle rather than out wide as he's rarely, if ever, played in a wider position for much of his time at the U-21/U-18's. Plus, as a full back, McNair comes into the middle more often than any other full back for us, indicating that he doesn't really play as a proper full back who would stay wide and provide width.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He won't be our future right back. Nice from Van Gaal to big him up but it isn't going to happen. I've been really impressed with him so far but to be honest, he isn't going to be more than a back up option when we splash the cash on defenders in the summer.

Stadjer

I dont think Mcnair comes close to the amount of talent Rafael has as a RB. Rafael has the abitity to be one of the best modern RB in the world.

Its just a shame Rafael cant stay fit.

432JuanMata

Don't know if he will be a good RB over time but he certainly pulled his best Dani Alves impression he was fantastic against Cambridge.

ChaddyP

Rafael is United's Lucas Leiva :lol:. The less he plays the more "world class" He becomes. I probably gonna get flamed for this but the overating of Rafael kinda gets a bit over the top sometimes.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Rafael is United's Lucas Leiva :lol:. The less he plays the more "world class" He becomes. I probably gonna get flamed for this but the overating of Rafael kinda gets a bit over the top sometimes.
To be honest, he is one of the most criticized players at United. 90% of fans are screaming for a new RB, even two.

ChaddyP

To be honest, he is one of the most criticized players at United. 90% of fans are screaming for a new RB, even two.
I think they are screaming because of his injury record and not because of his ability. He's a fan favourite, a tenacious fellow and it's hard not to like him as he gives is all which is all you can ask. I just think his actually ability is a bit overstated at times

Eric'sCollar

I think they are screaming because of his injury record and not because of his ability. He's a fan favourite, a tenacious fellow and it's hard not to like him as he gives is all which is all you can ask. I just think his actually ability is a bit overstated at times
I think most of his admirers (like myself) point to that 12/13 season to prove that he has that ability and that with a fit Rafael, there is no need for serious investment in that area, especially with Valencia there.

marlowe78

I dont think Mcnair comes close to the amount of talent Rafael has as a RB. Rafael has the abitity to be one of the best modern RB in the world.

Its just a shame Rafael cant stay fit.
I think most (if not everyone) would agree. When the two players are compared on natural talent alone, Rafa is by far the best. But staying fit is also something of a talent here at United.

Sam

Has McNair played at right back for at youth level for any prolonged period? Or is he totally new to it?

He used to be a midfielder right? I guess that would help in terms of his technique on the ball and going forward if LVG see his long term position as a right back.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
Has McNair played at right back for at youth level for any prolonged period? Or is he totally new to it?

He used to be a midfielder right? I guess that would help in terms of his technique on the ball and going forward if LVG see his long term position as a right back.
I believe he was originally a striker, although most elite level players were.

justboy68

I think it's the other way around. When he plays you remember just how much he gives us going forward down the right hand side. He mostly gets criticised for his injury record which is fair enough and the complete myth that he is still overly rash defensively.

Eric'sCollar

I think it's the other way around. When he plays you remember just how much he gives us going forward down the right hand side. He mostly gets criticised for his injury record which is fair enough and the complete myth that he is still overly rash defensively.
Agreed, I have never seen a RB have such an impact on a team, he immediately makes us a better, much more balanced side.