g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Paddy McNair image 33

Paddy McNair Northern Ireland flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yeah he played mostly as a CB in his 2nd year in the under 18s and a few times for England under 17/18/19s
Now that you mention it that makes sense. He looks like his experience level is about that of an U18 center back.

He doesn't look like a complete novice, I don't think. Just very raw.

As I said before, 2-3 years on loan playing CB and I think he'd be ready to play for us.

Acole9

Outstanding
Kept Lukaku fairly quiet today. Which is not easy to do.

Bwuk

He's done brilliantly, but agreed he should make way for Jones to give him game time before we face Chelsea.

I'd rather McNair than Smalling though. For me the way McNair has played and his potential will be the final nail on Chris Smallings United career.

Oo0AahCantona

I'd have him behind jones and rojo so far. lets be honest evans and smalling have been wank.

MoneyMay

Excuse the music... Wanted to make a video of his "duels" with Lukaku. Lost out only on one ball over the top to Lukaku, but overall did very well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Excuse the music... Wanted to make a video of his "duels" with Lukaku. Lost out only on one ball over the top to Lukaku, but overall did very well.
His header from Baines' cross was quality.

beergod

I'd rather McNair than Smalling though. For me the way McNair has played and his potential will be the final nail on Chris Smallings United career.
I agree, I don't think van Gaal will fancy how pedestrian Smalling is when possessing the ball. I was surprised that he seemingly jumped the queue over Thorpe, but his play in the first two matches has proven that van Gaal made a good decision.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He's a very good talent. But I think we should protect him a bit. Don't want to overplay him as he will make mistakes eventually. Everyone does. But we don't want him to feel them too many times at such a young age. Play him bit part behind Jones/Evans/Smalling. In 2-3 years time, he should be ready to be consistently thrown into big games. But I can see LVG's trust's in young players with Blackett in the last few games. And with Wilson in the Everton game. He could have brought in Fletcher to tighten up the midfield ala Mourinho-style but he thrown in Wilson and kinda asked him "now prove yourself young man". This is no small game and it'll do Wilson a world of good in terms of experience albeit only a short while.

RedDF

He kept lukaku under control... Something I was worried he wasn't up to

R'hllor

Put some trust, belief in youngsters and they will pay it back with decent/good performances,always great to see that.I heard some saying how we did not have a choice then to play them but that was not only solution.

ottosec

Looks to me that he earned his place in the starting 11 for the next game too, even if some other CBs are back from injury.

Bojan11

Hoping he and like many of our other players now turn up at away games.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I'll actually be a bit annoyed if one of the other centre backs comes straight back in. Definitely deserves to start against West Brom, and then take it from there in regards to the next two.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'll actually be a bit annoyed if one of the other centre backs comes straight back in. Definitely deserves to start against West Brom, and then take it from there in regards to the next two.
Agreed in fact I was worried that Blackett might be in the team ahead of him for yesterday's game. Not due to Blackett's ability obviously but more of McNair's assured performance against West Ham. He faced a really physical team in West Ham bombarding his goal constantly for one entire half whilst also managing to keep out one of the most physical players in the league in Lukaku for the entire match. He has been incredible the past 2 games. The only plausible reasons I can think of dropping McNair for one of Jones, Smalling and Evans would be to shield him from the pressure and to protect him due to his inexperience and youth. However, for LVG it's if you are good enough you are old enough so that shouldn't be a problem as well.

Kaos

I'd be happy for us to rotate him, Rojo, Blackett, and Jones for the two CB positions, with an established CB coming in January or the summer. I've lost patience with Evans and Smalling - McNair's emergence has served as the death knell for the hopes I had for those two.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Even the one he lost out on (I think it was jut before half time), Lukaku had a shot off target but watching the replay McNair would've had a block on it had it been on target so he did well there too really.

Shark

@NotShark
The experience he's gained from the past two games he's played will be priceless to him. Did very well yet again yesterday and I hope to see him rotated when Jones comes back.

Reds-of-Ulster

He is called Paddy..maybe Martin O'Neill will steal in and nab him for the Republic :D
Paddy from Ballyclare.

Maybe the FAI could actually put some money into their own youth teams, rather than scouting Northern Irish teams and approaching players based on their name/school.

Utterly disgraceful the way they act.

Fantastic to hear Getsme!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he's strong enough to take a physical challenge against Lukaku like he did yesterday then he surely got a chance to make it in United.

Good future ahead of him.

Gerald G

I think some are going a bit over the top. He's done well in the two games but I would still bring back our senior CB's ahead of him. If I'm honest, Lukaku made it easy for him yesterday.

He's got time on his hands. I think people tend to go over the top with our academy players one way or the other. I hope he has a future here but it's hard to tell over 2 games.

Getsme

Oh this again :boring::boring::boring:
Yet you fail to quote the post where someone more or less says he's most likely a Protestant so he will stay with them ums.
I understand that players want to play for the South but you can't blame Northern Ireland fans for getting pissed off when they see posts like that.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If he's strong enough to take a physical challenge against Lukaku like he did yesterday then he surely got a chance to make it in United.

Good future ahead of him.
He didn't really engage him physically did he? Everton played may be 2 crosses onto Lukaku's head but McNair was pretty much doing his job before Lukaku even got the ball. He was showing Lukaku where to receive the ball and got in ahead to take it away. Just a brilliant performance.

jb8521

He is from Ballyclare so despite being called Paddy I imagine he would only play for the IFA
Anyone born in the North has dual citizenship so is eligible to play for the Republic as far as I know. Hes not going to switch allegiances though

Shark

@NotShark
I think some are going a bit over the top. He's done well in the two games but I would still bring back our senior CB's ahead of him. If I'm honest, Lukaku made it easy for him yesterday.

He's got time on his hands. I think people tend to go over the top with our academy players one way or the other. I hope he has a future here but it's hard to tell over 2 games.
Based on Smalling' performances in particular so far, I'd play McNair every time over him. At least he doesn't go daydreaming at some point in almost every game.

iAm20Legend

Done himself no harm at all with those two performances... I thought Lukaku would bully him but he didn't really let him.. impressed.

Gerald G

Based on Smalling' performances in particular so far, I'd play McNair every time over him. At least he doesn't go daydreaming at some point in almost every game.
So assuming Smalling and McNair were both fit and we were playing Chelsea tomorrow, you would go with McNair over Smalling?