Pakistan

Zlatattack

Really really pissed off today. The government has withdrawn their offer to Atif Mian because of pressure from right wing bigots. It's a shameful day to be Pakistani. If PTI can't defend 1 man against internet trolls and bigots only weeks after winning an election, what rights can we possibly expect them to uphold under pressure?

MJJ

Really really pissed off today. The government has withdrawn their offer to Atif Mian because of pressure from right wing bigots. It's a shameful day to be Pakistani. If PTI can't defend 1 man against internet trolls and bigots only weeks after winning an election, what rights can we possibly expect them to uphold under pressure?
Same, been in a bad mood all morning. Stupid mullahs and their narrow minds, what dors religion have to do with economics.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Dawn - https://www.dawn.com/news/1431495

"Chaudhry said the ideal state, according to Prime Minister Khan, is of Madina and that the premier and members of his cabinet hold Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in high esteem."

Zlatattack

Dawn - https://www.dawn.com/news/1431495

"Chaudhry said the ideal state, according to Prime Minister Khan, is of Madina and that the premier and members of his cabinet hold Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in high esteem."
This is the ridiculousness of it all. The religious beliefs of Atif Mian are a matter of public record. If you don't agree with them, why offer him the role? This is just PTI being too chicken shit to face up to the extremists.

Minister of Information Fawad Chaudhary later confirmed the development, saying the government has decided to withdraw the nomination of Dr Mian from the EAC because it wants to avoid division.
That translates to "we're cowards" to me.

MDFC Manager

This is what happens, guys. Be wary, politicians make promises before elections, to break them once in power.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This is what happens, guys. Be wary, politicians make promises before elections, to break them once in power.
I think that courts should intervene and make the politicians implement there promises. Electoral promises and getting votes on the basis of said promises is a social contract and should be enforced. If its not enforced then it amounts to fraud.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think that courts should intervene and make the politicians implement there promises. Electoral promises and getting votes on the basis of said promises is a social contract and should be enforced. If its not enforced then it amounts to fraud.
All of the SEA ministers would be in jail by then.

KM

:boring:

You guys must get tired of being wrong by now.
To be fair, you cited this news of Khan hiring this guy as an example that how IK wasn't against ahmedis. Surely the PM of Pakistan should have more guts rather than listening to the old school religious idiots who stand in the way of nation's development?

MJJ

To be fair, you cited this news of Khan hiring this guy as an example that how IK wasn't against ahmedis. Surely the PM of Pakistan should have more guts rather than listening to the old school religious idiots who stand in the way of nation's development?
He should and i and almost all of my friends are very disappointed with the news, however those who were arguing that this appointment means nothing shouldn't be making a big deal out of it now as it's hypocritical.

MDFC was also wrong since it wasn't an electoral promise, that's what I find funny that some Indians here are just dying to take potshots at IK without being aware of it.

Edit- and I had posted the news as a sign that we are finally taking a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

KM

He should and i and almost all of my friends are very disappointed with the news, however those who were arguing that this appointment means nothing shouldn't be making a big deal out of it now as it's hypocritical.

MDFC was also wrong since it wasn't an electoral promise, that's what I find funny that some Indians here are just dying to take potshots at IK without being aware of it.
MDFC is not one to troll or take potshots.

I don't think he was trolling anyone here when made the post.
"This is what happens, guys. Be wary, politicians make promises before elections, to break them once in power." - I think should be applied to everyone in the world and particularly to us who are in this SEA region where it'd be a struggle to find one politician in 1000 who aren't corrupt.

MJJ

MDFC is not one to troll or take potshots.

I don't think he was trolling anyone here when made the post.
"This is what happens, guys. Be wary, politicians make promises before elections, to break them once in power." - I think should be applied to everyone in the world and particularly to us who are in this SEA region where it'd be a struggle to find one politician in 1000 who aren't corrupt.
He might not be trolling but he was wrong about his supporters behaving like modi's and it being an electoral promise. I agree with the rest.

Couple of others have resigned in protest as well I read. Doesn’t look nice from the outside.
Yeah the other guy is also havard educated, jahil mullahs and the people who listen to them.

Zlatattack

Two other guys have resigned in protest. Good on them. Let the fecking mullahs set economic policy. The level of bigotry exposed is utterly shocking.

snk123

Very poorly handled. Asad Umer or Imran Khan should have atleast taken everyone on board before asking Atif to step down.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Pure racism and bigotry if Atif Mian's job offer was withdrawn due to religious differences. If anyone in the Pakistan government or those advising them bothered to read some history they will find Muslims governments gave highest positions to Non-Muslims for the betterment of the state.

The best form of Dawah is to treat your minorities with the utmost respect and fairness.

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Pure racism and bigotry if Atif Mian's job offer was withdrawn due to religious differences. If anyone in the Pakistan government or those advising them bothered to read some history they will find Muslims governments gave highest positions to Non-Muslims for the betterment of the state.

The best form of Dawah is to treat your minorities with the utmost respect and fairness.
Most of these guys are dhogle chaddi mullahs.

Last edited by a moderator:

snk123

They should have ignored the stupid mullahs and told them religion has nothing to do with economics.
That's not possible. The Government couldn't start off by messing up with the TLP. Also, it's not just the extremist mullahs, it's a lot of sane educated Pakistanis as well who have a specific problem with Qadianis (not other minorities) because they are fed this nasty propaganda for years.

It is the right decision (on a Government standpoint) but not well handled at all.

snk123

It's not all minorities though. A Hundu, Sikh or Christian wouldn't have caused an issue but extremists have a specific problem with Jews and Ahmedis.

MJJ

That's not possible. The Government couldn't start off by messing up with the TLP. Also, it's not just the extremist mullahs, it's a lot of sane educated Pakistanis as well who have a specific problem with Qadianis (not other minorities) because they are fed this nasty propaganda for years.

It is the right decision (on a Government standpoint) but not well handled at all.
Its not at all, the whole EAC has basically resigned over this. Letting mullahs dictate who or who cannot be appointed is the height of stupidity and the word you are looking for here is bigoted not sane/educated.

snk123

Its not at all, the whole EAC has basically resigned over this. Letting mullahs dictate who or who cannot be appointed is the height of stupidity and the word you are looking for here is bigoted not sane/educated.
You are absolutely right but all I'm saying is that this is not the time this Government can take up such an issue full on. It's been what 10 days? There are far bigger problems to solve than to try and reason with Khadim Rizvi and his ilk.

snk123

Its not at all, the whole EAC has basically resigned over this.
Which is why I'm saying it was poorly handled. The Government should have taken everyone on board and also given assurances that they will reinstate Atif after some time.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Which is why I'm saying it was poorly handled. The Government should have taken everyone on board and also given assurances that they will reinstate Atif after some time.
Everyone aren't supposed to be taken on board nor deserve to be, like bigots, terrorists etc.

Zlatattack

This was the perfect time to take on bigotry. They have just won an election, the opposition is divided, people generally don't like TLP, the government has plenty of stuff to chuck at the news cycle and above all Atif Mian has very popular financial policies. It was easier to discriminate against him than to take on the bigots. They took the cowards route out.

FromTheBench

Yep if they cannot take on the bigots right now they never will.

Imran Khan will be caught between the two crowds that supported him.

snk123

Everyone aren't supposed to be taken on board nor deserve to be, like bigots, terrorists etc.
I was talking about the economic advisory council and the members who are now resigning from it.

MDFC Manager

Zlatattack

https://www.ft.com/content/d4a3e7f8-b282-11e8-99ca-68cf89602132

This is a great call by the the new government, assuming they actually go through with it. Really important for Pakistan to actually realize the economical gains with these projects, because the Chinese are selling major infrastructural pipe dreams across the region. See Hambantota Port in Sri Lanka for example (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/world/asia/china-sri-lanka-port.html)
Agree. We can't trust Nawaz Sharif to be honest, his government are the type that'd agree to anything for a backhander. The Chinese are interested in making money, they're nobodies friends. CPEC would be great for Pakistan, but only on terms which make it worthwhile.

Zlatattack

Pakistan's Imran Khan pledges citizenship for 1.5m Afghan refugees

Imran Khan has pledged to grant citizenship to 1.5 million Afghan refugees who have lived on the margins of Pakistan’s society for decades.

According to the UN, Pakistan has the largest refugee population in the world, mostly made up of 2.7 million refugees from Afghanistan. Many fled the Soviet invasion in 1979, while others came across the border due to violence and economic turmoil.

In a surprise announcement on Sunday at a public event in Karachi, the Pakistani prime minister said: “Afghans whose children have been raised and born in Pakistan will be granted citizenship inshallah (God willing) because this is the established practice in countries around the world.

“They are humans. How come we have deprived them and have not arranged for offering them national identification card and passport for 30 years, 40 years?”

According to UN surveys, about 60% of the Afghan refugee population was born in Pakistan, meaning almost 1.5 million people stand to benefit. Khan also promised the same treatment for Bengali refugees, which would include the Rohingya minority.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/17/pakistan-imran-khan-citizenship-pledge-afghan-refugees

----

Another great move I support. These people deserve the same rights as the rest of us and an opportunity to integrate into society. Having citizenship will give them a stake in Pakistani society.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
That's a nice gesture. I'd like to better understand what Pakistanis think about it and whether it is something that might cause other issues.

Zlatattack

That's a nice gesture. I'd like to better understand what Pakistanis think about it and whether it is something that might cause other issues.
On twitter i found those who are overseas Pakistani's are overwhelmingly in favour. Those at home are a mixed bag. Some people support it, others are outright racists.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout